Connect Logitech 2.1 Speakers directly to TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a set of 2.1 speakers (Logitech Z-2200) and I just ordered a new plasma (Panasonic TH-42PZ77). Can I connect these speakers directly to this TV without a receiver, just plug them into the Audio Out, and have the sound from my DVD players and game consoles connected to the TV go through them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 PM

Yeah you should be able to connect them directly to the TV. I'm not sure what sources the z-2200s accept; however, I would assume that they have a miniplug (which would plug into the back of a computer). You can buy adapters from miniplug to RCA... and I'd guess that your TV has an RCA sound output (the red/white connectos for left/right sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul
Electrons aren't into hype, they stick with the laws of physics.
Samsung 4065F, Xbox360, 40gb PS3, Tosh HD-A2
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The speakers take a line-level input, so just hook them to the line out on your TV and you're good to go (maybe with an 1/8"-RCA adapter). Adjusting the volume is gonna suck, though, since you'll need to get up and walk over to the speakers every time you want to do it.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

They came with an adapter (Red and White plugs), but the instruction booklet didn't mention anything about being able to plug directly to a tv, just game consoles.

I was just reading Panasonic's plasma tv Faq, and in the section about connecting audio there's a note that says: *External speakers cannot be connected directly to OUTPUT terminals. But that's a bit vague, and my TV isn't even one of the models listed in their faq (can't find one where it is).

Is it possible to damage either my speakers or TV if I go ahead and try it anyway?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumblePen View Post

They came with an adapter (Red and White plugs), but the instruction booklet didn't mention anything about being able to plug directly to a tv, just game consoles.

I was just reading Panasonic's plasma tv Faq, and in the section about connecting audio there's a note that says: *External speakers cannot be connected directly to OUTPUT terminals. But that's a bit vague, and my TV isn't even one of the models listed in their faq (can't find one where it is).

Is it possible to damage either my speakers or TV if I go ahead and try it anyway?

Check your TV manual and make sure that the output terminals are in fact line level (I can almost guarantee that they are, but you should check first). As for the FAQ, it most likely should read "External unpowered speakers cannot be connected directly..." The speakers you're trying to use are powered speakers, and if you look in the manual for them, you'll see that you can hook them up to any line level output. Unpowered speakers need some form of amplification, which you won't get from a line level output. Powered speakers, however, contain an amplifier in them (hence the "powered" part). These have become much more prevalent in the past 15 years or so because people get them to use with their computers.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I thought that faq meant too. I used Panasonic's Concierge service and the guy said I could hook them up.

I searched the Manual .PDF for "line level" and turned up nothing. In the Specifications Table of the manual it says AV PROG. OUT: AUDIO L-R: RCA PIN Type × 2 0.5 V [rms]. That's all I could find.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you're good to go then.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Got another question. How is the sound processed when hooked up this way? Do the audio options in the TV's settings affect the sound?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page