Any good center speakers from Best Buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a $300 gift certificate to Best Buy and I'm looking to buy a center this week. I'm willing to spend a total of 500-600 dollars, but I'm wondering if there are any good center speakers there. It'd be nice to be able to use my gift card if I can. I've compiled a list of what they have and I hope some of you have some experience and/or knowledge of anything worth getting. I currently have the BOSE setup, and really need to replace that little satellite center speaker I have. One thing I have replaced so far is the sub with a HSU subwoofer. HUGE improvement there. Center next, and then the front and left.

1. Klipsch - Synergy III 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker - Black/Titanium Color

Model: C-2 SKU: 6780735

2. JBL - Dual 6" 4-Way Center-Channel Speaker (Each)

Model: STUDIOLC2 SKU: 8461372

3. JBL - Cinema Sound Dual 5" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker

Model: CSC55 SKU: 8394187

4. Mirage - OMNISAT 3-Way Center-Channel Speaker (Each) - Black

Model: OMNISAT V2 SKU: 7478446

5. JBL - Dual 5-1/4" 3-Way Center-Channel Speaker

Model: LC1 SKU: 8356361

6. Definitive Technology - Dual 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker

Model: CLR2002BLA SKU: 6638855

7. Definitive Technology - Mythos 3 Dual 4-1/2" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker

Model: MYTHOSTHRE SKU: 6639364

8. Definitive Technology - Mythos Seven 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker

Model: MYTHOSSEVE SKU: 6639328

9. Klipsch - 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker

Model: RC-52BLA SKU: 7973525

10. Klipsch - Synergy III 6-1/2" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker - Black/Titanium Color

Model: C-3 SKU: 6780833

11. Bose - Center-Channel Speaker

Model: VCS-10 SKU: 3253106

So should I spend my gift certificate on any of these or will it be DVDs?

My price limit is around $500 for a center.

thanks,

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM

First thing I wouldnt mix speaker brands, stick with one so they somewhat match....I am a klipsch man myself, If movie theaters use klipsch that gives them some credibility, but It looks like most of your system is Bose...
Good luck on sticking to budget, I never am able to do that.

d.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron73m View Post

First thing I wouldnt mix speaker brands, stick with one so they somewhat match....I am a klipsch man myself, If movie theaters use klipsch that gives them some credibility, but It looks like most of your system is Bose...
Good luck on sticking to budget, I never am able to do that.

d.

My Bose will slowly be replaced. I started witht he sub and finally able to move on to the center. Sounds like from you though I need to think ahead and plan on buying the rest of my speakers to match my center.

thanks,

Dale
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyork View Post

Sounds like from you though I need to think ahead and plan on buying the rest of my speakers to match my center.

Yup. Couldn't have said it better myself. You really do want to match your front three speakers as closely as possible. It's not as big of a deal with the surrounds, but it's definitely something to be aware of for the L/C/R.

Scott
Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Just came back from BB looking for center. I had been prepared to get the Klipsch RC-52 since I have the F-3 and my stand can only hold RC-52.

What make this Vienna center so expensive? I did not see it but saw a $799 one in the store. I did not listen to any because I had to leave.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1151657715793
Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM

i would definately listen to most of them i have the def tech clr 2002 and love it. that would be my recomentation
Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

J
What make this Vienna center so expensive? I did not see it but saw a $799 one in the store. I did not listen to any because I had to leave.

Listen to their main L/R speakers on music and you'll know what makes VA so special.

You really want to make your front 3 to match...I'd start with replacing your main L/R speakers and run phantom mode until you can get a center, not buy a center and then add L/R.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

how big is your room? Of course I agree that the l/c/r should all match, but I don't see a problem in starting with your center and working your way out. I think for the money the Def techs are hard to beat out of what's offered at BB. I bought a set of ProCinemas for my temporary theater, and I was shocked at how good they sounded in a properly set up room (not like the awful rooms at Magnolia). I'd also go for the 2002 if I were you. If I wasn't building my own speakers now, I'd stick with Def Techs when my theater is finally built.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM

I second what Steve D said about the Viennas. Listen to them and then you'll know why the high price. They simply sound amazing. (with music) I also second what was mentioned earlier about keeping the center and mains as matching. Go with different surrounds if you wish but I think you will regret it if you get a center that isn't a match for you mains.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM

personally i wasn't a fan of the va's. they lacked the low end... i guess with a good sub they would be perfect, just not a full range speaker.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piodef View Post

personally i wasn't a fan of the va's. they lacked the low end... i guess with a good sub they would be perfect, just not a full range speaker.

Really? To each there own, but I noticed a solid low end (sans sub) with a recessed midrange...which is exactly what the professional reviews say. Of course, compared to most HT oriented systems, any musical speaker will need a sub to produce the rumble.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The Vienna's sound pretty good in the store with music, but they're not exactly a transparent speaker which I think would get tiring at best and annoying for movie use. The frequency responses are definately not the worst I've seen, but decidedly not flat.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

The Vienna's sound pretty good in the store with music, but they're not exactly a transparent speaker which I think would get tiring at best and annoying for movie use. The frequency responses are definately not the worst I've seen, but decidedly not flat.

Very true, VA's are a love'em or think they aren't worth it type of speaker, imho.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Does best buy still carry athenas, if so I would be all over those, forget the other brands.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well I bought the Mythos 3 for the center and working on getting the Mythos ones for my L/R. They sounded great in the store, but the Viennas sounds amazing. The $1200 Vienna center sounded so crisp clear, rich, and noticeably had great low end. Too bad I can't afford it! Now I think I need a reciever, so I'm looking at the Denon 2808, but it's so much. I was hoping to stick around the 500-600$ range for a reciever as well. BTW, I found a deal on the mythos ones for $930 a pair. 2 Years old but supposedly in great condition with new grills. Should I buy those or pay 1800 for some new ones. OBviously I'm leaning to the used ones, but 2 years is a while and I don't know the lifetime on drivers, etc.

thanks,

dale