Headphone Recommendations Bose vs. Sennheiser - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a nice pair of headphones thats only use will be used for listing to music. I at first was looking at the Bose on hear headphones but am now leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 555 or the HD 595. Looking for some recommendations or which I should get and which will give me the best audio experience. The HD 595 seem really nice but from what I read its also a older set as well so I was also curious how they stack up to newer headphones.

Also I just found the AKG K701, interested to know how that compares to the Sennheiser hd595.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM

I only use AKG 240M and Ultrasone. ymmv.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
FWIW, Sennheiser is a "professional" and consumer audio company. Bose is strictly a consumer audio company.

As a pilot, I chose the $1200 Sennheiser ANR headset over the less expensive Bose and never regretted my decision.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM

My headphones aren't in the same category, but I was looking into the Bose QC-2 and QC-3's and I think Bose makes some pretty good headphones (unlike their speakers). However, when push comes to shove, I went with the Sennheiser PXC-250's, which sound better and cost half the money. I have some entry level Sennheiser studio headphones that are at least 20 years old which I use when my wife is giving me a hard time about the noise. They sound just as good as the day I got them and they are built like a tank.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I use Senn's HD 280 Pro headphones.

Pretty damned good headphones but they are meant to block outside noise (through design, not through active cancellation). If outside noise is an issue AT ALL I'd highly recommend these as they are a solid product that sounds excellent. The only con (for some) is the Bass is a bit on the tight and controlled side - I like it, some like BOOM BOOM though. ymmv
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Liked: 12
I have the Ultrasone HFI 650 they are basicly the same as the new HFI 700's and i like them. They are a closed headphone but sound great. I use them for when the girlfriend is sleeping. Gaming, and movies sound great. I would stay away from Bose. Bose is all marketing.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsh View Post

I have the Ultrasone HFI 650 they are basicly the same as the new HFI 700's and i like them. They are a closed headphone but sound great. I use them for when the girlfriend is sleeping. Gaming, and movies sound great. I would stay away from Bose. Bose is all marketing.

With bose you're always paying a major premium for marketing, but at least with their headphones they deliver decent sound. I still say the Sennheisers are the way to go.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Liked: 14
Also check out Beyerdynamic, especially if you like to listen for long periods and/or listen to a lot of classical, jazz, and acoustic music. They are very comfortable and sound great. Well recorded female vocalists are really something special.

I've heard good things about the AKG's as well.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross462 View Post

I am looking for a nice pair of headphones thats only use will be used for listing to music. I at first was looking at the Bose on hear headphones but am now leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 555 or the HD 595. Looking for some recommendations or which I should get and which will give me the best audio experience. The HD 595 seem really nice but from what I read its also a older set as well so I was also curious how they stack up to newer headphones.

Also I just found the AKG K701, interested to know how that compares to the Sennheiser hd595.

don't even think about bose, they are overpriced and sound like crap.

Both the HD555's and 595's are great options for all-around cans. They don't need to be amped, but do benefit from using an amp. The HD595's are among the best lower cost headphones available.

the k701's are very nice indeed and are much better than the HD595's but they cost more and require an amp to really sound good. Unamped I'd take the HD595's over them.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM

AKG K240M are industry standard headphones for the recording studio, so who am I to argue? I have two different Ultrasones (open and closed ear designs) and frankly use the open ear about 95% of the time. But I'm not trying to close external sound out, rather no have speakers firing. They are amazingly articulate, and in the case of the open air design, very light and comfortable. The closed ear I use when shooting on location as they fold up small and block ambient sound well.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page