How do you guys feel about these opinions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across this thread the other day checking back in a forum I used to frequent. The OP has some pretty strong opinions about being an audiophile, and he mentions a lot of speakers and technology that I really don't see discussed much around here. Maybe some of you will find it interesting.

http://forums.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=68557
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I didn't read the link, but I'd like to throw in how much I hate the term "audiophile".

It may offend some who feel that they are an audiophile, but I don't think that anyone here (at least I hope not) is this kind of audiophile:
1. egotistical
2. has a set of golden ears that can discern everything
3. pretty much duped into believing marketing and therefore believes that a great system should cost a great amount of money (see #1)
4. Dismisses everything that's not owned by him/her without hesistation

Case in point. An ad I see in a very well-known home audio/theater mag:
"If you can't hear the difference, you probably don't need these".

Should be re-arranged to:
"If you were the cool guy in high school and still believe that your money has any effect on your level of knowledge, then please, fork over your money and we'll give you some copper string with gold tassles on the end".

Think that about sums up my hatred for that god-awful term... or at least how marketing has spun it.

Sorry for the rant guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

I don't think that anyone here (at least I hope not) is this kind of audiophile:
1. egotistical
2. has a set of golden ears that can discern everything
3. pretty much duped into believing marketing and therefore believes that a great system should cost a great amount of money (see #1)
4. Dismisses everything that's not owned by him/her without hesistation

I can think of at least 5 or 6 forum members who fit that profile off the top of my head. With a bit of research, I am sure I could identify a dozen or more.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The term should mean, asfaiac:

Loves Music (or sound).

Has extensive personal experiance with live sound and equipment that reproduces it.

Has correlated enough experiance into a base of understanding of what he/she likes.

Seeks to explore equipment that helps him/her connect to and enjoy his/her music.

Spends more time listening to the Music than the gear and less yet discussing both with others who hear differantly and have differant tastes.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^ Agreed. That's a great definition, Jake.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
Just like everything else, there are people who are extremely passionate about music and have the ability to hear the difference between various systems. I've visited high-end equipment stores and listened to those expensive setups and I have to tell you that they are absolutely incredible for 2 channel music. A home theater system cannot equal that quality.

Additionally, many people enjoy finely made things, whether it's cars or guns, and they are willing to pay a premium even though they may not perform any better than a mass produced product. For example, I carry a handmade knife by Crawford that is finely detailed and costs nearly $1000. It doesn't cut better than a $100 knife but I love the effort that went in to making it and I enjoy using it every day. The same can be said for the high-end audio buffs who just really enjoy finely made equipment.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeff View Post

...I've visited high-end equipment stores and listened to those expensive setups and I have to tell you that they are absolutely incredible for 2 channel music. A home theater system cannot equal that quality...

Based on what? My HT systems sounds every bit as good for two channel music as it does for HT applications. If you set about configuring the best system you can for music listening it will usually sound equally stunning for HT. Don't be so general in putting out your opinions as facts. There are a LOT of people around here that would disagree with your post. How do you know what we have and don't have in our sytems? You don't. Take your post over to the Home Theater In a Box thread and post there. It acutally might be true. Not here.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

Based on what? My HT systems sounds every bit as good for two channel music as it does for HT applications. If you set about configuring the best system you can for music listening it will usually sound equally stunning for HT. Don't be so general in putting out your opinions as facts. There are a LOT of people around here that would disagree with your post. How do you know what we have and don't have in our sytems? You don't. Take your post over to the Home Theater In a Box thread and post there. It acutally might be true. Not here.

I agree with you completely My home theater is every bit as good for music as movies. I have Revel speakers powered by Lexicon equipment and they are all Music quality all 7.2 of them.

I agree also if he is talking HT in a box then that is different.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
My opinion of the link is that there is a man who has learned to perform autofellatio.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
99% of the population is happy listening to music thru a less than desireable setup. I think the audiophile label refers to the upper crust of the audio enthusiest crowd. Those who demand the best and have very deep pockets. Some of them claim to tell the difference between $1,000 inter connects and $10,000 inter connects. I do not make that claim. I also can not stand listening to music on crappy systems. I have wanted a mcintosh amp for years, I finall got one. My music - ht system is my hobby and I am very happy with it. I have loved music since I can remember and have gotten into the ht end more recently. I love to see the look on peoples faces who think bose is God's gift to audio when I fire up my system and let it rip....

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page