Infinity Beta vs. Primus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I'm searching for a center speaker and two bookshelfs to start my HT. I just ordered a Marantz SR4001.

I know that the Betas are the higher level, but why are the prices almost identical? It'd literally be less than $100 if i went from Primus PC350 and P152s to Beta C360 and Beta10s. Should i just take the upgrade and run, or is there more to it than that?

Also, would Beta10s or P152s make adequate front speakers?

Are the Beta bookshelfs (of same driver size) physically bigger than the Primus?

I'm going w/ the 3 way centers, the PC350 or the C360. Its about a $70 premium over the 2 way variants. Is this a smart move?

I've searched and read for days, but still can't come up w/ a solid decision.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Liked: 10
I've owned both primus & beta. The beta 360 center (3 way) is much better than the primus C25 (2 way) I owned. I never heard the primus 3 way center.

The bookshelves are pretty close in size. The infinity website has measurements.

I would not use bookshelves as my fronts unless you have a very small room or you listen at low volumes.

The beta's are discontinued & so the prices are a lot cheaper now. The primus line is new this year (same as prior's primus except for looks). You should have seen how cheap the OLD primus were when they were discontinued.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

hrmm interesting. i wonder if it was the 'Beta'ness or the '3way'ness that made the improvement. I have a way w/ words...

the plot thickens:

Centers:
Beta C360 - $199
Primus PC350 - $199

Bookshelfs (2way 6.5"):
Beta 20 - $100
Primus P160 - $69

Floors:
Beta 40 (3 way, 2x6.5"s) - $199
Beta 50 (3way, 2x8") - $225
Primus P250 (2 way, 2x5.25"s) - $105
Primus P360 (3way 2x6.5"s) - $150

My room is just a normal living room. Not a huge dedicated theater. My fiance is also not super thrilled w/ having giant speakers everywhere, but i don't think she'd object. the cost is a bigger factor.

That said, I think i'd like to go w/ a decent center and bookshelfs for now. I'll see how that sounds. I have some old speaks i'll use for rears (5.1 system) for now. Then someday i'll either buy new bookshelfs for rears or get towers for the front and move the bookshelfs to the back.

The interesting thing is that I could get the basic Primus 2way 2x5.25" towers for the same price as the Beta 20 bookshelfs... Now the gears are turning again...

Any input is much welcome, thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 AM

Liked: 10
Beta's originally had a higher cost than the primus due to better better (tweeters, drivers, crossovers, cabinet construction) etc. so they should sound better. But, only your ears can tell (I know its tough if you can't listen to them before you buy them).

How much will stands cost your for the bookshelves in the front? Probably as much as just buying the floorstanders in the first place. I find floor speakers sound better than bookshelves & fill them room with sound better. The beta 50's are MUCH bigger than the primus 360's. If your worried about size then do not consider the beta 50 (get the beta 40 instead).

The primus 252 will not have that much bass since they only have 5-1/4 drivers.

To me a normal living room is a big room & a bedroom is a small room when it comes to speaker size.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-17-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I called up theaudiovideosource and they have the Primus PC350 for $139.

Due to A) cost and B) physical size limitation imposed by the fiance, i think i'll be going w/ the PC350 w/ two P250 towers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page