Picked up some Polk RTi10s. Can I do better for the money? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-19-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

I've decided to start putting together a home theater system, and I began with some floorstanding mains. I managed to get a pair of Polk RTi10s locally for a pretty good deal, but when I hooked them up I was a little disappointed with the overall sound. I'm using a Yamaha Rx-v659 receiver. Buying an additional dedicated amp isn't an option at this point.

My question is, can I get better sound from a different pair of speakers with a budget of around $500 to $550. I do have some local dealers relatively nearby that carry Mirage, PSB, Definitive, B&W, DCM, and JBL (Bestbuy), and I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on specific models. I've mostly been looking at floorstanders, but if I could get some impressive all-around performance out of bookshelves I'd certainly consider them too.

Both the Polks and the Yamaha are still returnable.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the Yamaha is still returnable and you're wanting this for Home Theater use I strongly suggest you take it back and get something with HDMI in.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I know the rti10's get pretty good reviews and that is a really good price. I suspect any feedback on "better" speakers in that price range would be completely subjective and not necessarily true.

I have heard that you really need some good power to drive those speakers to their potential. How many watts per channel does that yamaha put out? It could be you are just leaving them a little hungry. Are you running sound to 5 speakers or just in stereo mode?

I picked up some Klipsch floorstanders because I was concerned about power issues. At first I was a little underwhelmed as well but two things have really helped:

1. I think they simply warmed up or had time to break in and the sound seemed to gain "fullness".
2. I turned on the sub. It would be nice to think these big floorstanders would be the end-all for all levels of sound but I found they still really needed the sub to bring out that ooomph. Again, it might be because I am really not feeding a ton of watts per channel.

I would give it a week or two of careful listening and see if you still feel the same way.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page