precision acoustics advice - underrated performer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about the Precision Acoustics line from Best Buy. I've heard they are made by infinity, just not sure about that. I just bought myself the Floor standing speakers (5HD4), the center and two rear bookshelf speakers (all PA). They sound very very good! Does anyone know anything about these speakers? Any experiences or thoughts (please don't say they're garbage without a reason...)?
The speakers are being powered by a Logitech z-5500 THX subwoofer/amplifier (I just changed the satellite speakers to the PA's), which puts out 505 W RMS.

Now I've been in car audio for a long time, did my own wiring so I know my share about audio equipment etc as well. These speakers seem to me to be quite the steal...I got all pieces for $280 from bestbuy in Canada and I heard the floor speakers compared directly to the JBL's ($550+) and I liked the sounds of these better. The JBL has a bigger woofer, deeper base, but the mids & high's on the 5HD$ floor speakers are excellent, sounded better than the JBL for half the price (as well as the center).

I am happy with my amp for now, will upgrade in the future, I just didn't like the cheap satellites the Logitech come with, the system was too bass heavy, while missing out on the high's big time.

Just want to see if any people have had a similar experience as myself, and for the price point, they seem like quite the steal. I'd like to have more info before I decide to keep them for sure (gotta love the return policy at BB).

Thanks guys, any help/info would be appreciated.

Digs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Since they offer absolutely no technical information, they do not inspire much confidence. Nothing notable about them.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
On a quick weight/driver analysis they seem to be too light to be of decent quality. Weight really does matter when it comes to inexpensive speakers.

Your towers come in @25 pounds, while these 99 dollar Infinity Primus weigh 35 pounds...

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=8024

That 40% extra weight I guarantee will make a world of difference in sound quality.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
I have them and they really do sound amazing. They are high end speakers for a very good price. The only reason why they don't costs as much as the other known brands is they are built in CANADA.

Precision Acoustics
http://www.precision-acoustics.com/products.html

I have this sub-woofer hooked upto my Onkyo 605. Let's just say it shakes my house and sounds really clean and clear.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post

The only reason why they don't costs as much as the other known brands is they are built in CANADA.[/IMG]

Wrong! Made in China. Fabrication contracted out of Canada.

... last time I checked, salaries in Canada were higher than in China, so fabrication in Canada won't bring their cost down.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 AM

I don't really care, these things sound freaking awesome. But then why would they put a Made in Canada sticker on the box and speakers.

Quote:

Precision Acoustics is owned, designed, and distributed by Erikson Consumer, a division of Jam Industries, in Montreal, QC. Erikson Consumer not only designs high performance speakers but also distributes superior electronic components such as Harman Kardon, Arcam, Sirius, Roth Audio and FatMan.

Jam Industries is Canada's heavy hitter when it comes down to music.
http://www.jamindustries.com/e/index.html
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I don't really care, these things sound freaking awesome. But then why would they put a Made in Canada sticker on the box and speakers.

That's good, and you shouldn't care. The only important thing is that you like the way they sound.

I've had Precision Acoustics before when it was all I could afford, and they were labeled as Made in China. It's no longer a sign of inferiority, not like it was 20 years ago. Today, China manufactures high-quality products right along outright crap.

The specs for the Precision Acoustics system I had were wrong, even for something easily verifiable as weight. If you're willing to lie on your specs, my opinion if that you can't be trusted to make quality products. PA offers low budget products and you get what you pay for.

But if they sound good to you, then that's all that matters.

And yes, Jam and Erikson are associated with reputable brands, but that doesn't mean everything they touch turns to gold.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp819 View Post

That's good, and you shouldn't care. The only important thing is that you like the way they sound.

But I think it's a lot easier to make a good sub than a revealing bookshelf. So it's not surprising if the sub sounds just as good as most budget high end subs. I'd like to hear their actual speakers go head to head with entry level real high end brands. And of course not surprisingly they use softdome tweeters. A lot easier to make one that sounds decent.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Great point guys. I've listened and compared different setups from Best Buy Canada like the JBL and the Klipsch high end 5.1 setups in their little theatre rooms they have on display playing Blu-Ray movies. Precision Acoustics slaughter’s them both in price/performance. Plain and simple they sound awesome and the newer models being sold sound better than there older models.
Now all they’ve been getting is positive reviews (Read Bellow), and lately Best Buy Canada cranked up the price of Precision Acoustics a lot which makes them less attractive IMO to the higher end JBL and Klipsch which are several dollars more. Bad move IMO but then again here in Canada retail outlets tend to rip people off a lot.

I believe reviews speak for themselves.

Quote:

Positive Reviews: Precision Acoustics 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (HD4) $139.99 – Used to be $79.99 WTF?

Surprised! 2/16/2009
By John, Newmarket
"I needed a small pair of speakers for my B channel to pipe tunes upstairs, so bought these on a lark to see what they sounded like. The were on sale for 5 bucks off. Had to run 50ft of speaker wire to them. Figured the sound would be tolerable, but not great.I was extremely surprised at how good the sound quality was for the price of the product. I have heard more expensive speakers that sound much worse. Good value for the money."

Excellent sound! 2/5/2009
By Frank, Gatineau
"These speakers DO sound very good. I purchased them to replace the speakers on an old Panasonic bookshelf system bought 18 years ago, and it dramaticaly improved the sound quality. They really sound more expensive."

Great sound.! 2/4/2009
By Nick, Toronto, ON.
"I think Best Buy may have made a mistake with the price, because these speakers sound almost as good as more expensive ones. From the great quality build to the amazing sound quality, it just cannot be beat for the price.I use these speakers for a 7.1 surround sound setup and they do more that what I paid for. Whether you have a budget or not, they will only impress. I have them hooked upto my Onkyo 605.A+++++ to Precision Acoustics. Great products for less."

good deal! 12/11/2008
By pascale l, trois rivieres
"these speakers are a very good deal, sound very very good. why so cheap they sound better than more expensive ones."

Quote:

Positive Reviews: Precision Acoustics 2-Way Center Channel Speaker (HD-C)

$149.99 – Used to be around $99.99 – Went on sale for $59.99 at one point in Feb 2009

Great sound, Incredible price! 2/16/2009
By Gerry, Windsor
"I wasn't expecting anything great for 60 when the closest competitors start around 200.00Brought it home and with my Pioneer 818 amp, Pyramid Gold Series speakers and Sony sub, it sounds fantastic. Great buy"

Greatness! 2/13/2009
By Louis, London
"I did the same Set up as the PC guy on the other post. Buying two and put them vertically.I was a bit skeptical lol. He is right if you get the right setup, these speakers are Insane The look sweet between my Dell WFP 3008... they match So well with this monitor set up and the sound is Soo Crisp i use an HT OMEGA CLARO 192HZ and i get possibly the best sound on a 100 dollar budget. The bass is decent. If you want louder bass you have to change your equalizer and raise 45-70HZ.. But i would recommend a subwoofer. But if you have a great amp then its all good. I recommend this set up."

Wow! 2/11/2009
By Mark T, Kanata, Ontario, CA
"I have to agree with the other posters on here with how surprised I was with this center speaker. These things should be sold for 200 or more for the sound they give out. I am a huge audio geekfreak and I gotta say these are pretty amazing speakers and for this price you definitely cant go wrong. I gave this a 5 star because I just don't have any complaints at all. If you are thinking about buying a center speaker for your home theater set up, then I strongly suggest getting these while the price is low before they realize that they priced this wrong ha"

Wicked! 1/20/2009
By David, London
"I bought two of these. I use them for my PC speaker setup and have them vertical. I recommend these if you have a proper amp and sound card. These speakers can hit 41HZ and max of 36500Hz on my testing. they are tall, line up perfectly with two Dell WFP2408 Monitors for a seamless look. One of the best Mid range speakers. I still would recommend a Sub woofer for deeper bass. The bass is still better than many book shelf speakers"

Great bang for the buck performance! 1/9/2009
By Paul R, Edmonton
"I'm currently in the process of building a budget home theatre system and decided to take a chance on this center channel. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much since the price was so much lower than anything else available. I was pleasantly surprised when I did hook it up how well it handled the most important part of any home theatre system. The highs are very clear and it delivers nice clean mids.If you don't have a lot of money and are looking at a way of stepping up from a HTIB that you currently own, this is a great way to start your system.One note, I'm sure a true audiophile might have concerns with it, but I am very happy with how it has performed so far."

Wow...Impressed! 1/3/2009
By Anh T, burnaby
"Bought these on boxing day for a great price...I was a little doubtful about the performance this paticular brand...but the price i couldn't go wrong....when i hooked it up to my home theater, I was blown away by the preformance...nice lows and very difficult to bottom out...tight clean bass....i was in awwww...."

Quote:

Product Review: Precision Acoustics 10" Powered Subwoofer (HD S10)
Costs $299.99 – Used to cost $149.00 – Went on sale at one point for $119.99

Great sub! 1/3/2009
By Alex, Laval
"Just purchased this sub to go along with the rest of my precision acoustics setup and I can't believe the sound quality from these speakers. The bass from the sub is incredible and completely rocks a 12' by 25' room. I highly recommend this product to anyone from beginners to experienced audiophiles. "

Best Bang For The Buck! 1/3/2009
By James M, Winnipeg
" I've been blowing subwoofers left right and centre but this one seems to be keeping up with everything i've been throwing at it For a 10' it can get away with sounding like a 12' with the deep bass it hits. It also has a Auto turn offon switch so u don't have to climb in the back everytime to turn it off and on"

Bass Vibrations! 1/3/2009
By Jason, Canada
"This Precision acoustics sub is very powerful, i got mine in september, i hooked it up and BAM I just blew the picture frames off the wall. I love this sub and the 150w amp gives for smooth amplification. I am about to purchase some precision acoustics bookshelf speakers, to complete my soung system."

It has more value than it's worth! 1/3/2009
By Stephen J, Toronto
"This subwoofer I would have to say is the best investment to my home theater to which I have custom built. I am actually thrilled that the value can be controlled to eliminate excessive bass since I live in a apartment. For anyone who just wants to get a subwoofer I would recommend this one "

Amazing price, and sound! 12/31/2008
By Ron, toronto
"Just bought this subwoofer yesterday. My previous subwoofer blew up, so I was looking for a cheap replacement. This did more than a replacement, it sounds a million times better than my old one. Really good deep sounding bass. I swear I heard stuff falling off the walls from the apartment above me Would recommend to anyone wanting a good subwoofer at a cheap price"

boom! 12/11/2008
By jesse, vancouver
"boom bang pow my system now rocks with tons of bass and crazy explosive sound thanks to this sub what a deal"

THE ZENITH! 12/11/2008
By Ronush K, East End Hamilton
"I have 2 of these Incredible units. They sent out a prodigious amount of accurate, bass impact. The controls allow you to blend with the HD45 tower speakers. I have these units also. Everything works In tandem to produce a smooth blend of low to high frequencies along with a THUNDEROUS performance to rival your favorite theater or other venues. Hence, you will reach THE ZENITH of your listening pleasure,bar none."

The Best PricePerformance Sub-Woofer on the market period! 8/19/2008
By Nick, Toronto, ON
"After listening to this Sub-Woofer I truly thought Best Buy made a mistake with its fantastic price. It truly sounds great and stands on its own in the High End. I cant stress enough this product produces great low bass. The price seems too low for what this product can produce. I cant stress enough this 10 Powered Sub-Woofer will really shake your home with bass. Well worth the low price tag it carries. This is arguably my best digital purchase to date. My theatre system consists of the followingToshiba HDTV LCD 46HD-A35 HD DVD playerOnkyo TrueHDDTS-HD SR605 7.1 Digital ReceiverEtc. I may very well consider more products from this Precision Acoustics Company. It took me some time to find on-line information about this company, but I finally found the website.Here it ishttpprecision-acoustics.comhds10.html"

Best Buy Canada:
http://www.bestbuy.ca
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Please tell me you dont take this seriously:

Quote:

"I have 2 of these Incredible units. They sent out a prodigious amount of accurate, bass impact. The controls allow you to blend with the HD45 tower speakers. I have these units also. Everything works In tandem to produce a smooth blend of low to high frequencies along with a THUNDEROUS performance to rival your favorite theater or other venues. Hence, you will reach THE ZENITH of your listening pleasure,bar none."

I never find those reviews on BB trust worthy. Simply some joe never had a speakers in life finally got some sound reproduction and jumping high for that.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 AM

I like live personal reviews from people like you and me. I think this guys review is a great opinionated review based on his experience. Who knows maybe he's comparing it to Fisher Price

I may not agree with all the reviews 100% but personally I like the way my PA sounds. They may not be BOSS but they sure are awesome for the money.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 AM

What is BOSS? New player in town?

If you mean Bose then lol my $50 computer speakers sound better than Bose.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 AM

Yes, Bose is what I meant. Why doesn't Bose sound good? I mean they charge you an arm and a leg for the freaking things here in Canada.

Have you ever heard of the CENTRIOS™ brand? about 3 years ago I bought a 5 speaker 5.1 CENTRIOS™ Home Theatre speaker set for a little under $99.99 (Original Prices were $499 to $299 to $149 to $99 to $69 to $49 or something like that)

Here is a link to another stype they make.
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=4012000

Some may say these speakers are junk, no name brands and should sound lowzy. Well, I still have a pair of the front right and left CENTRIOS™ speakers which are 200W, 2 x 5.3/4" dome, 1 x 1" tweater and 1 x 8" woofer/dome. All I can say is these things sound freaking amazing. I was just curious to find out who made these so I took one speaker out and to my surprise there was black ink stamp on the magnet reading "ONKYO USA"

These very low cost filthy beasts were all along hiding it’s true maker but the book shelf speakers and centre channel do not have the Onkyo ink stamp on them. This is why I replaced these ones with the PA brand which now sounds better.

O.K. I found a link with how they look. Mine were in Black which look MUCH better.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=478278
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 PM

It's funny how Best Buy Canada used to have the HD4 PA Bookshelf speakers for $55.99 a pair not on sale and now all of a sudden they are going for $139.99

I think Best Buy needs a reality check. I did get the PA Centre Channel for $54.99, not $79.99 as I previously thought. I found the bill
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM

I just bought this sub 2 days ago at best buy ans it sounded amazing! it was a great deal $200 dollars only! I am 100% satisfied with this sub woofer.
http://www.precision-acoustics.com/hds10.html
Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 AM

It does sound great. I really like the last years model I got.
http://www.precision-acoustics.com/a...hres/10hdw.jpg
Old 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're happy with the sound, then you need not be concerned if others think you should be happy or not. Turn it up and enjoy.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM

No concerns at all. I am happy with my purchase, can't beat its price/performance IMO.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:00 AM

My HT currently consists of mainly Klipsch because I absolutely love the sound they make.

My setup consists of
Fronts: RF 82's
Center RC 52
Rears RF 62
Sub PSB ALPHA Subsonic 5
Amp Yamaha 6130 (nothing special)

Anyway I had compared way too many makes and models of speakers before I bought these (like 26 sets) both in store and at home. I had actually bought the whole Precision Acoustics setup and was amazed at the sound that came out of these. HD45 fronts HD25 rears whatever the center is and the the HD10 for the sub. These things had such a clear precise sound coming out of them that had me shocked, it was really an absolute joy to listen to them, and what made me really smile was the price I had got it all for. (whole system was less than my current fronts). The sound was just so clean and nice.

Unfortunately I did return them because as good as they sounded they just couldn't handle what my klipsch can and I have a large room. And I will say that I put them up against nice freaking speakers like Paradigm, Energy, Tannoy, PSB and of course Klipsh as well as many others and the Precision definately stood their ground, and well. I did keep the sub and up until this week I have been using it and just replaced it with a the PSB. To be frank I don't know which one I like better. They are pretty damn even.

What Im trying to say is that these are damn nice speakers, they are clean and sound really wonderful. The price will continue to increase on these Im sure of it. Having had quite a few setups in my home I will vouch for them and say they do some damage but may not be able to handle extremly high volume levels.

I have been raised on nice speakers such as PSB, B&W, TANNOY, ESS and CAMBER just to name a few and I really did enjoy the sounds these speakers produced. So I do have something to compare them against. I may even go back and go buy a full set for the upstairs living room.
Just my 2 cents, but these are very nice speakers for a phenominal price and although are not hand in hand with some of the higher end stuff, they are damn close.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whitey View Post

And I will say that I put them up against nice freaking speakers like Paradigm, Energy, Tannoy, PSB and of course Klipsh as well as many others and the Precision definately stood their ground, and well.

lol, riiiiiight.

Anyone else notice that in the past few days there've been a lot of posts about Precision Acoustics products? Nearly all of them GLOWING reviews from brand new members?

If you're gonna do the "viral" marketing thing guys, try not to be so obvious.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM

My Join Date is Sep 2007. Precision Acoustics may not be the best out there, but price/performance is hard to beat. They sound fantastic
Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 AM

I love how you just put me off as some sort of marketer..... Im sure Big Whitey is a name they would definately favor.... Think before you speak.

Also.. read my review, I said that I returned them because they just couldn' handle what my Klipsch could...oh wait I must be working for them as well... and I guess all those other companies I mentioned as well.... come on man.

I was never aware of this site until I stated doing some hard online comparrisons when looking for my new setup... since I found absolutely no home reviews on the PA's I though I may give my view on them since I did have the whole setup in my house. Sounded great, and I compared them against everything I mentioned above. They just weren't for me, definately a great setup though.

If your gunna do the "annoying" speculation on peoples post, read them and try not to look so foolish.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Well said
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM

Liked: 12
Just got the hds10 sub. It's replacing my passive paradigm sub now.
Newbie question, I have the sub hooked up via, the speaker level inputs. Am I missing out on anything by not hooking it up via the pre-amp (using a single sub cable)? Is it better cuz it's digital that way?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:

Have you ever heard of the CENTRIOS brand? about 3 years ago I bought a 5 speaker 5.1 CENTRIOS Home Theatre speaker set for a little under $99.99 (Original Prices were $499 to $299 to $149 to $99 to $69 to $49 or something like that)

I have five of these little CENTRIOS 7 die-cast aluminum bookshelf plus a Precision Acoustics HDS10 Subwoofer, all driven by a Yamaha HTR-3063 receiver. All I have to say is that the sound coming out of this modest setup is really impressive. It's precise, accurate and even powerfull for my medium sized room.

The CENTRIOS 7 bookshelf exhibit a natural and clean sound surprinsing for its small size. List price was 69$ each but I paid 19$ for each one on a clearance sale.

The HDS10 subwoofer's performance is really impressive and cabinet construction/finition is far better than you would expect for that price. List price was 299$, I paid 149$ on sale.

HTR-3063 is the entry level receiver from Yamaha, but all the qualities of this brand are definately there, minus the latest gadgets like auto-calibration etc. List price was 349$ and I paid 229$ on sale.

Considering the fact that I paid less than 500$ for all this setup, It's amazing!

When on sale, Precision Acoutics and CENTRIOS actually give you more than what you pay for.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Couldn't of said it better, Precision Acoutics & CENTRIOS sure give you a very respectful Price/Performance/Quality that is very difficult for others to compete with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe bobo View Post

Just got the hds10 sub. It's replacing my passive paradigm sub now.
Newbie question, I have the sub hooked up via, the speaker level inputs. Am I missing out on anything by not hooking it up via the pre-amp (using a single sub cable)? Is it better cuz it's digital that way?

YES, I believe you are missing out on some nice deep bass. Go Digital with a RG-6 High Quality Sub cable Coaxial for the best sound.

This is what I am using with my PA sub.
High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Great point guys. I've listened and compared different setups from Best Buy Canada like the JBL and the Klipsch high end 5.1 setups in their little theatre rooms they have on display playing Blu-Ray movies. Precision Acoustics slaughter's them both in price/performance.

Obviously you haven't met the king of slaughterers, Pioneer FS51 Well, too bad BB Canada doesn't cary them. Otherwise we'd have one hell of a clash of the smurfs
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Precision Acoustics is a whole different style of speaker(s). For the money you are getting much better sound and quality then expensive competing brands that cost an arm and sometimes a leg.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 AM

Thread revival!

Went to Best Buy to check these out, but the setup(s) were far from ideal. Speakers were on metallic shelves, the receivers' settings were probably off (dear God did I want to drown a kitten everytime a deadly dose of sibilance was emitted from a certain pair of Klipschs, paired to some HK), and the music playing was far from my ideal for testing (mainstream hip hop, which is all boom and shizzle... the lyrics are a different story altogether, but let's not get into that please, heh... ).

The HD45s, HD4s, and HDC were connected to a Pio.

The only time the center and bookshelves could be heard is if upmixing was enabled, which obviously isn't a good indicator to test their qualities. I was really curious to test the center's off-axis dispersion capabilities, too....

The towers, on the other hand, must've been wired out of phase. When standing back, and squatting to get tweeters to ear level, all songs played seemed to lack proper stereo imaging - almost mono-esque. I didn't wanna bother fiddling with the wiring, so I simply called the audition (if you can call it that, hah!) off at that point.

All was not lost, however. What took me by surprise, especially in comparison to the much pricier Klipschs, JBLs, and Infinities, were the towers'/ center's build quality. Specifically, the knock testing.

While I'm sure that cabinet resonance isn't the end-all of sound quality, I like to use it as a quick measure of things. The new JBLs sounded most hollow, followed by the Klipschs.

The PA towers, however, had a few semi-hollow spots; as I worked my way down, I could tell there was some form of bracing a few inches apart.

The binding posts looked a little cheap, but whatever. As long as the wires stay in place, that's fine by me. VERY curious to open one up and view the crossover(s), I'll admit.

Hopefully I'll find a Best Buy with a proper setup for these guys, one day. Could these very well be Canada's version of the "giant-killers", ala Andrew Jones' new Pio line? *shrug*

On another note, it looks like PA's sister company, Sinclair Audio, is starting to gain some published recognition.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM

I wonder why the regular price of the 2-speaker HD25's are more expensive than the 4-speaker HD45's

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2889b05c55en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2f89df5a8cen02