Has anyone had any personal experiance with Onsia Speakers? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4
Speakers > Has anyone had any personal experiance with Onsia Speakers?
Bruins29's Avatar Bruins29 04:30 PM 12-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStinebaugh View Post

The people who are posting these things about "new accounts" and "suspicious" postings are frankly IDIOTS. Why do I say that? I was just at Lowes, and I saw the speakers there, I install HT systems, and I liked the idea and knew customers would too. So I went online to see what other people had to say about them, THAT HAVE ACTUALLY USED THEM. And, what do I find? A bunch of morons complaining about how people started new accounts to talk about it. How stupid are you? Seriously. I just started one for that reason! Just because I haven't been on your precious forum doesn't mean I don't know anything either. You're paranoid is what you are. I also work on cars, and I start new accounts with TONS of different websites all the time to ask questions about things or to answer peoples' questions. That's not unusual, ESPECIALLY WITH A NEW PRODUCT that is captivating to people. Get real.

We are all glad you have straightened this out. Actually you did not start your account here to talk about a product. You can here to tell the forum and its members that you disagree with the way things are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

biomed_eng_2000's Avatar biomed_eng_2000 11:49 PM 12-26-2008
After living with these Onsia speakers for 3 months I can recommend them for specific uses.

Use 1: As an extremely wide dispersion speaker, these Onsia have nearly a 180 degree dispersion. It's perfect for surround channels powered by receivers with Audyssey MultiQ or MCACC so they can be matched to the timbre of your mains.

Use 2: As a way to get music into a room where speakers would be an aesthetic no-no.

A quick list of my home theater/ music listening equipment:
Music: Mission 781 Monitors with TC Sounds sub.
Home Theater: B&W 602 S3 with dual NHT 12" subs.
tfiddler's Avatar tfiddler 11:05 PM 05-02-2009
I remember the old Electrostatic speakers that looked like oriental room dividers. I also helped a guy install pistons under a guys floor one time back in the 70's as super sub woofers. I just read a thing about another guy attaching transducers to his sofa, so I get the idea. I don't think it's so far fetched. I saw the Onsia display in Lowes yesterday afternoon and was looking around to see if I could learn more about them. There is a certain amount of sales hype in their ads. I am a violinist and many violinists have trouble with their hearing, so their statement about it not hurting the player is not true. I get the idea though. I want to try these speakers or go hear them installed some where before I'd bash them totally or buy them. They seem like a terrific Idea and solution for many applications, but I hate not being able to hear them first before I start chopping into my walls to try them out.

One other thing I'd like to mention. I'm a musician and I've been fooling around with sound and speakers and home theatres for probably 35 years now. Since the days when a home theatre had real Movie projectors and projection booths! Every set of speakers and every amp has a Magic level. A just right volume where the system and speakers will sound pretty good. When you go above or below that level, you start to hear the blemishes. For each set of speakers and amps, that magfic area is going to be different. For something like these Onsia speakers, I would think you are going to have a similar Magic Zone or Magic Volume. So it's really going to depend on what kind of music, or what kind of movies you'll be watching with them. Sometimes I find traditional speakers are too directional and the over all sound field in a home theatre just doesn't sound like real life. These Onsia speakers could solve that to a certain degree by spreading the sound out more like it really is in real life. We've tended in the past few years to be trying to match perfectly what the film makers intended. Theoretically that should be right, but in real life, when say you are out on your front lawn and a car goes by, the sound is reflecting off buildings, trees, street poles and equipment, all sorts of material, and it's not going to sound anything like it does in a movie. The best we can hope for is a simulation of reality. These speakers may not place a sound exactly where the Movie Director intended, but it's going to be some where in the ball park and a little more spread out like in real life. At least that's my theory. I'm hoping now I can find this place in King of Prussia on Monday and go see for myself.
tfiddler's Avatar tfiddler 01:27 PM 05-03-2009
I just got back from King Of Prussia looking for that Onsia installation in the Home Source Daily Expo building and Home Source went out of business. The building is empty and the signage is pulled down inside the locked door with a note “Closed Indefinitely”. I also realize this entire thread is several months old, so I guess no one is writing about these Speakers any more. Sure wish I had called first, but I looked at the web site and it was still there with Business Hours posted and links to many products. Oh well. We looked at Furniture while we were down there, but it was a wasted afternoon. If any one ever reads this and has these speakers installed near King Of Prussia or out Rt 422, I’d sure like to come hear them. I’m the Tech Director at the Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville and I thought they might work in our third floor multipurpose room being built right now… I can be reached at the Theatre Ted The Fiddler
enauman's Avatar enauman 03:19 PM 07-07-2009
People come to this forum for advice. It is always interesting to me to see the different responses to a controversial subject. What I found interesting in this thread is that when new members joined in to provide first hand accounts of their experience with this product, the conspiracy theorists came out of the woodwork. Do some of you guys actually believe that the manufacturers of onsia speakers have nothing better to do than monitor forums and create phony messages? I expect the same people believe that 911 was a government plot.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 04:30 PM 07-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by enauman View Post

People come to this forum for advice. It is always interesting to me to see the different responses to a controversial subject. What I found interesting in this thread is that when new members joined in to provide first hand accounts of their experience with this product, the conspiracy theorists came out of the woodwork. Do some of you guys actually believe that the manufacturers of onsia speakers have nothing better to do than monitor forums and create phony messages? I expect the same people believe that 911 was a government plot.

Whoopus, the OP, 9 posts
sonic chameleon, 1 post
mkboudreau, 1 post
abatardi, 1 post
ACPideas, who works for Osnia, 2 posts
mimitche, 3 posts
Boo Radley, 9 posts, all in here
RCB2, 1 post

And that's just the first page. So yeah, I think there's a few phony messages. Maybe even yours. Unfortunately, this website doesn't automatically post the IP's of people who post here. On another forum, Stereophile, there was a post by a Mathew Bond, the head honcho over at Tara Labs. Shortly after his, another post extolling the virtues of Tara appeared. Wouldn't you know it, same IP. Damn.
Bruins29's Avatar Bruins29 05:17 PM 07-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by enauman View Post

You are right. Its not the shills in this thread its those long time respected posters in this thread that are wrong. Thanks for helping us out here.
Boo Radley's Avatar Boo Radley 08:23 AM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

You are right. Its not the shills in this thread its those long time respected posters in this thread that are wrong. Thanks for helping us out here.

I put these in like ONE week after coming off CHEMO Therapy... They are EASY to install if you've ever done sheet rocking before... I have said before they do NOT sound good with BASS Boost turned on... They tend to not to produce true sound with LOW bass noises when the volume is near their MAX {50w or 50% of the volume dial on my 110w stereo amplifier}.. When used for what I purched them for...
  1. OUT OF SIGHT!!! Including the wiring
  2. System is installed in a bedroom, television is 25 feet away from the bed.
  3. Ability to watch/listen to television without waking my wife or the neighbors.
  4. A system that delivers realistic sound to speakers behind our bed for a great movie experience.

If these speakers are installed as REAR speakers for "ambient sound" they are awesome!!! I like to watch HTV {Spanish MTV that actually plays music videos all day long}... I turn these speakers on all the time as the sound is great. I am no expert but I do know what sounds good and what does NOT and these sound GREAT, and look GREAT {as in you NEVER see them} for the money!!!

I work for Honeywell by the way to all the forum owners/regulars who may say I am a schill too... My job is calibration of test and measurement equipment... I like all the others came here hoping for the common man's view on these speakers and to see if they would be the right choice for us... THEY WERE!!! I will post pictures later {Friday} and I dare anyone to find the speakers.. People are BLOWN away when they realize the wall IS the speakers!!! If anyone is in New Jersey area and would like to hear them first hand contact me and I will gladly invite you into my house to hear them...
jmichaelf's Avatar jmichaelf 09:37 AM 07-08-2009
Boo, I'm pretty sure we're all clear that you don't want to be considered a shill. Also, I get the impression that you're pretty tightly wound. At sign. At sign. At sign.

I'd like to stress that value is a great motivation for a lot of people on this forum. Most AVS posters want the highest quality speakers they can get for their money. The flip responses should be a signal that there are significant flaws in the quality of these speakers suggesting they don't meet defined value standards. And no, they don't need to be listened to to understand that these flaws exist. Dry walling over a speaker does not a high quality experience make.

However, your version of value clearly defines invisibility as a top priority. As far as I can tell, you've found the best product to fulfill that vision; sound quality be damned. Also, you're digging a hole with continued references Bose as a high end or high value product.

Edit: Fixed "don't not meet..."
Boo Radley's Avatar Boo Radley 05:28 AM 07-09-2009
I guess I should be impressed that you went back to see some earlier posts.. My point being, these are easy to put in.. I've mentioned that they do NOT reproduce deep bass very well. I'm sorry we aren't all into the thousands and thousands of dollars for the "true listening" experience. Yes you are correct in that the BIGGEST and most important aspect was to have these speakers be invisible. They are. Stay below the maximum volume and they sound FINE...

Let's get into the things I am passionate about, photography and let's talk about what type of cameras you use and pick them apart because of their manufacturer.

Look, you guys provide and incredible resource to those of us searching for "REVIEWS"... I usually decide on a product based on my needs and its application... Then I go to customer reviews and look for everything I can from the average man. Would you take the opinion about a $30,000 car from a guy who drives ONLY $200,000 cars? Probably not, neither would I. I would want to know what the owners of similar cars say about it. I would like to know what the average person, struggling paycheck to paycheck who cuts back on a few things in order to step up to a higher level {even if it doesn't meet your requirements} in order to have something better or nicer.

I've told you these speakers have a very difficult time wuith deep bass sounds. Other than that they are just fine. Are you going to wire them throughout the entire house and expect realistic precise sound from your music as you sit to listen to your entire music collection? Probably not. If you have to turn your television experience up so loud that neighbors in a different zip code can hear your movie, these speakers are not for you. If you listen at "normal" levels these work great. I don't understand the pupose of this forum I suppose if it isn't to offer up the average person's view of products so that others can make a decision on what they should do.
jmichaelf's Avatar jmichaelf 07:39 AM 07-09-2009
I have a Nikon D50, a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and a Nikkor 12-24 f/4. I don't have enough money for the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 at the moment but that's my next lens, if I don't buy a d300 first.

Value. See?
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 07:46 AM 07-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

I guess I should be impressed that you went back to see some earlier posts.. My point being, these are easy to put in.. I've mentioned that they do NOT reproduce deep bass very well. I'm sorry we aren't all into the thousands and thousands of dollars for the "true listening" experience. Yes you are correct in that the BIGGEST and most important aspect was to have these speakers be invisible. They are. Stay below the maximum volume and they sound FINE...

Let's get into the things I am passionate about, photography and let's talk about what type of cameras you use and pick them apart because of their manufacturer.

Look, you guys provide and incredible resource to those of us searching for "REVIEWS"... I usually decide on a product based on my needs and its application... Then I go to customer reviews and look for everything I can from the average man. Would you take the opinion about a $30,000 car from a guy who drives ONLY $200,000 cars? Probably not, neither would I. I would want to know what the owners of similar cars say about it. I would like to know what the average person, struggling paycheck to paycheck who cuts back on a few things in order to step up to a higher level {even if it doesn't meet your requirements} in order to have something better or nicer.

I've told you these speakers have a very difficult time wuith deep bass sounds. Other than that they are just fine. Are you going to wire them throughout the entire house and expect realistic precise sound from your music as you sit to listen to your entire music collection? Probably not. If you have to turn your television experience up so loud that neighbors in a different zip code can hear your movie, these speakers are not for you. If you listen at "normal" levels these work great. I don't understand the pupose of this forum I suppose if it isn't to offer up the average person's view of products so that others can make a decision on what they should do.

This is all perfectly reasonable. The only issue I would raise is the determination of who is an average person. Certainly, the "average" member of AVS is more involved and interested in AV than the "average" reader of, say, the Huffington Post Blog. It seems to me that your position might be closer to that of the "average" non-AVS reader so it may not be surprising that some of the responses here are from a significantly different perspective.
biomed_eng_2000's Avatar biomed_eng_2000 11:23 PM 06-19-2010
Thee Onsia speakers should not produce bass because they are high passed at 120hz as per their website.

Great for surround sound use because they are so difficult to localize, why? Because they have such a wide dispersion pattern AND they have a huge radiating surface. Within a certain range, they actually get louder as you move away from them.
utekineir's Avatar utekineir 08:02 PM 07-16-2012
So, lowes has the ceiling tile versions for around $30 Ish now on clearance. My kitchen has a drop ceiling. Google brought me to this thread, the lowes item page still has 0 reviews.

Would these be worth a try for some sort of AirPlay/ipad/streaming integration, or would I be better off putting a cat tied up with speaker wire in the ceiling for listening enjoyment?

/notacompanyrep

/lowstandards

Thanks,
First ... 2  3  4

Up
Mobile  Desktop