Has anyone had any personal experiance with Onsia Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw these in Lowe's the other day. I was quite surprised that I have not seen them mentioned here. They claim to be better than cone speakers. It was hard to get a good feel from their display in a crowded lowe's store. Has anyone seen these installed in a home setting? If so, what do they sound like? We will be buying a new house soon and the first project will be whole house audio, but I don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't sound good.

Thoughts?

Link to Lowe's

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would definitely go with traditional cone and horn speakers, which mankind has been trying to improve upon for 100 years, to no avail. The reason for the cone's success is its extremely high efficiency and accuracy.

I would sink a little extra money into having some expert HT installers at least consult with you on the installation. They can tell you where and how to install them for maximum effect. Unlike free standing speakers, you do not have the luxury of moving them around if they are misplaced. Expert HT installers will also have their own preferences for speakers .... tell them what you want and let them design it, at least for your main home theater(s).

Forum advice for this kind of thing is nearly useless ... none of us can really sense what your room needs like a pro installer who is at your house, can.
post #3 of 104 Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"Has anyone had any personal experiance with Onsia Speakers?" We dated briefly. Things didn't work out.
post #4 of 104 Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Mark,
There is an incredible ONSIA home theater install near Charlotte, N.C. - I am sure the owner would be happy to let you check it out. contact me by email and I will put you in touch with him.
Happy new year !
Leon
post #5 of 104 Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM

I also would like to know if anyone has had any personal experience with these speakers.

I've seen 2 questions on the net like Mark's... one was answered that the guy "thought it looked like something to be used in elevators" and the other was John's answer (above). John, you may be correct in what you've stated; however, simply because cone speakers are what's been used for 100 years doesn't mean that new innovative ideas should not be explored, which is what it seems like Onsia is attempting. I for one would like to not reject their concept right off the bat and see for myself or hear from other people's experience. Even a HT installer will be biased to what he/she knows is tried and true, but that doesn't discount the fact that Onsia may have produced a good competitive product. They claim on their website (yes, I know everyone does this) that they have won many awards beating out conventional cone speaker competitors.

Anyway John, your opinion is appreciated, but I, like Mark, would like to hear if anyone has any personal experience with these speakers.

MIKE
post #6 of 104 Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Liked: 14
I have been into stereo for 30 years, and have never heard of them before now.
Edit: I just looked at their website, and to say that I am skeptical would be an extreme understatement. My best guess is that they sound like crap.
post #7 of 104 Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM

I really wanted these to be the speaker solution for me.. For me (and wife), "invisible" speakers would have been great (cosmetically). So tonight, we picked up 5 of them at Lowe's w/ a 10% off coupon to test them out. We brought them home, unpacked a few and tested them out against some [much in need of replacement] 8 year old cheap Sony speakers. Onsia says they sound better when actually installed in the wall, but it would have needed to be a major difference in quality to make them worth the money. With a movie (Matrix, elevator scene) they sounded "ok" (but far from great) and were passable to my un-trained ears (keeping in mind I would be happy with lesser audio quality while factoring in the greater cosmetic appeal). We then tried them with an audio cd (Evanescence) and this really showed their flaws when the volume was turned up. They sounded very tinny and started to break up a little in spots and sounded like crap (sh*t is more like it). Also, more sound comes out the back of these things than the front (literally)... so this might be a concern for some with sound passing through to neighboring rooms.

Anyway there you have it... I have been the [not so] proud owner of these for about 2 hours and they are on their way back to Lowe's tonight. I guess it still holds true that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I can understand the use for these in basements (the in-ceiling drop tile ones), elevators, office environments, etc... but for home theater use I would definitely pass.

- aba
post #8 of 104 Old 03-22-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic chameleon View Post

Mark,
There is an incredible ONSIA home theater install near Charlotte, N.C. - I am sure the owner would be happy to let you check it out. contact me by email and I will put you in touch with him.
Happy new year !
Leon

I'm sure this user account isn't related directly to this brand of speakers
post #9 of 104 Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM

Hello. I work for the company that manufactures and distributes Onsia Concealed Sound Solutions. Onsia is a brand new product that was officially launched in February at the 2008 International Builder Show in Orlando, FL. It was received with rave reviews at the show. Please see the following link: chandlerdesignbuild.blogspot.com/2008/02/michaels-picks-from-ibs_25.html. We will also be displayed at the 2008 Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (K/BIS) in Chicago, IL.

I'm sorry to hear that aba had a bad experience with our speakers. But as aba mentioned in his post, the speakers have to be installed in order to achieve the optimum speaker performance and sound quality. It is stated very clearly in the install instructions that are included with each speaker that a free air or uninstalled speaker will have compromised performance and quality. Onsia speakers are reverse engineered from the final application. The In-Wall application is designed to be fastened to the studs in a wall and covered with 0.125 to 0.25 inches of joint compound. When installed, you will experience full radiant sound. To reduce sound transfer into adjoining rooms, we recommend adding insulation behind the speaker. Also, we recommend adding a subwoofer if the user desires deep, window rattling bass.

I have two 5.1 systems in my houseone is downstairs utilizing Mirage speakers and the other is upstairs utilizing Onsia speakers. Everyone that comes to my house expects to hear surround sound downstairs because there are visible speakers mounted to the walls and on speaker stands. When I take people upstairs, all they see is a 45 flat panel TV mounted to the wall. Then I put in a movie (like Star Wars) and they are blown away that there is an incredible surround sound system installed in the walls and absolutely no visible sign of speakers.

I guess my point is that you have to trust that Onsia's quality will amaze you once the speakers are correctly installed. To prove my point, I'd like aba to go back to Lowe's and purchase and install the five Onsia speakers. Add a subwoofer if you prefer deep bass. If aba is still not satisfied with Onsia, we will refund 100% of his Onsia purchase. Aba, please email me prior to repurchasing Onsia so I can get your information and follow-up on your progress.

Please visit onsiaideas.com for more information on Onsia and its transducer technology. We also have contact info posted on the site if you have questions for our customer service team.
post #10 of 104 Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM

I also noticed these at Lowes yesterday. I'm intrigued by the idea. I have a Russound A-Bus whole house audio solution that I love for background music. I'd like to expand it but the aesthetics's of adding wall or ceiling recessed speakers to more rooms is holding me back; Onsia would be a perfect solution if they can actually perform.

I'm tempted to try a set out in one room but if they don't work out the price is quite steep. Not just the $300 for a pair of speakers but also a time consuming patch job to repair the larger hole they need if I end up having to pull them out and replace them with traditional speakers.
post #11 of 104 Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM

To answer your question, we just installed them over the weekend. I'll keep you in suspense until the end. The most DIFFICULT portion of the installation was trying to get the speaker wires down through the insulated outer wall to where the speakers were going in our bedroom. I had to break down and finally buy an electricians snake and that made it so easy a caveman could do it.

Our bedroom is 18 feel long and we just bought the top of the line Sony 46" LCD TV. We were turning the sound up to 50% to hear it. Something had to be done. I am NOT a firm believer in displays as being true to reality. We bought 701 BOSE speakers because they sounded beyond belief in the showroom {you could hear stereo separation no matter where you stood}. I am still after 10 years of owning them, looking for that "sweet spot" where the sound is perfect. Bearing this in mind, I didn't expect much from these Onsia speakers. Lowes has ALL the speakers working no matter which ones you choose to listen to, so you think they all sound great but in reality all are working together in each demo setting.

We put two in the wall behind our bed. After installing them Saturday, we put on some plaster and let it dry and slept on the floor. Yesterday {Sunday} we finished up the plastering and put the room back together. Then went out while the porridge cooled and the plaster dried. Later when we got home, we climbed into bed and put in the movie Ratatouille {sp?}, to see how everything sounded. In the beginning there is rain and wind and thunder along with the rustling of the rats. Everything was CRYSTAL CLEAR. When they climbed on the roof to use the chimney to cook, there was a bolt of lightning and a crack of thunder that nearly made us jump out of bed!!! With the volume adjusted on the stereo receiver/amplifier set to about 30% the television volume only has to be turned to about 10% and the sound out of the speakers is loud and clear.

I went to a video channel, yes they still exist where they play just music videos and waited until a video came on that was one of the songs in our CD collection. I turned the volume up and noticed the video sounds as good as it does on the CD downstairs with the 701 BOSE speakers.

In the end, I thought about this project for three weeks. I decided I did NOT want to see speakers in our bedroom nor did I want to see wires. I figured a decent pair of small speakers would cost me at least as much as these cost and I would have to look at them which I did not want to do. Things to beware: The in wall speakers can handle 50 Watts, the picture frame and ceiling speakers are rated at only 25 watts. Onsia guarantees you can NOT blow these speakers and states that they should last a lifetime. The other caveat is that the openings will be BIGGER than you expect. Close to a 30" x 30" opening, plan accordingly.

I am a HAPPY Onsia customer!!! Thanks Onsia for making a great solution to my problem.
post #12 of 104 Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM

We finished our basement in April and I installed 7 Onsia speakers throughout our basement.

We put 5.1 sorround in our TV area and 2 speakers in our bar area.

We tested the speakers prior to mounting...this is a must!!

After the walls were plastered and painted, we played all the speakers. At first, the speakers sounded as the treble was up too high, I then hooked up the sub..This is also a MUST! they sounded better, but still not to the point were I was totally happy with them.

I had read in the install directions that there was a breaking in period, which made sense...the speakers need to break in through the plaster and paint..so my first expectations were not high and I didnt freak out! The directions stated that they should really break in for up to 20 hours. So I left them playing most the day on the weekends and would run the radio before I left for work for up to 8 hours a day.

The more they broke in, the better they sounded. I could tell that they were getting better. I now probably have close to 15 hours on them...and I am very happy!!

When my freinds and family come over, they don't really get where the music is coming from....when I tell them, they think they get it, but they have to think about it and then the questions start!

What I love...is that you can stand in certain parts of the room...hear the music and not know where it's coming from! The music disperses at such a wide range that the sound carries throughout the entire room. That is unreal!!

We have conventional speakers upstairs and those sound best when you are standing directly under them, but with the Onsia speakers that is not an issue. I also have noticed that when we have company over and the music is playing in our bar area, that I can play music at a higher volume, but still carry on a conversation with people without having to turn down the volume! That is also awesome!!

Upstairs I am constantly turning the volume up and down when we have people over, but not w/ the Onsia speakers!!

My advice is to follow the directions and be patient!! And know that they will get better as they break in!

I would definitely recommend these to everyone!! ENJOY!!
RCB2
post #13 of 104 Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Sorry, I'm just chuckling to myself as I see more and more "first" posts showing up in this thread. Has there ever been a thread to bring more first time posters out of the woodwork??

I'm not suspicious or anything.
Nope. Not one bit.
post #14 of 104 Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM

hmmm. Nice website, but after reading sound adjectives like 'full', 'rich', and 'spacious', I realized there's another brand who describes their own speakers in such terms...

...but they're smaller and cube-like...and much more expensive.

kirk

Nothing like doom metal in the morning to get you going
post #15 of 104 Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Indeed especially for this thread. he he...
post #16 of 104 Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread just stinks of troll accounts
post #17 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Make sure when you go to Lowes to pick up a can of this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #18 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
All the positive reviews have come from users who just created new accounts, and this is their first post. I'll believe their "unbiased" reviews when they've been around this community for a while, listed other speakers they've tried, etc. The only candid feedback from a potential REAL consumer was from abatardi, and he hated them.

I wouldn't mind hearing some other REAL opinions, but so far I'm actually with PULLIAMM on this one.
post #19 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPideas View Post

The In-Wall application is designed to be fastened to the studs in a wall and covered with 0.125 to 0.25 inches of joint compound.

I would like to see how any radiator behind and/or pushing 0.25" of joint compound can possible compete with a direct radiator. Is there any science behind this?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #20 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 AM

This appears to be another NXT application- Owned by Mission, uses bending wave technology. Uses essentially a traditional voice coil to excite a surface. It does achieve very wide dispersion. Some of the applications have gotten good reviews, like the Mission M-cubes.
http://www.nxtsound.com/

I doubt this application would be the ultimate in sound reproduction- to many variables at play in the installation. However, for a whole-house system or a commercial application (like a clothing store or restaurant) I could see these being useful. If we remodel the office again, I could see us going with something like the ceiling speakers (which are not the ideal placement for SQ anyway) in the lobbies.

If you want to play around with NXT, you can buy some of the stick-on transducers
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-950
post #21 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaraas View Post

Sorry, I'm just chuckling to myself as I see more and more "first" posts showing up in this thread. Has there ever been a thread to bring more first time posters out of the woodwork??

I'm not suspicious or anything.
Nope. Not one bit.

Reading this sort of pissed me off... I went all over the internet to see if there was any one who had written any reviews about these speakers to see if they would be worth investing in. I found this site and read the good bad and the ugly and went and installed them. If this site PERMITS photos, I will gladly post the picture of the wall where they installed and are awaiting painting. We are having the house professionally painted in the middle of June so I wanted to get this done prior to that.

After using them this past few weeks... I LOVE them. There is only ONE drawback I can see. I have BASS BOOST on our stereo. With that on, the sound is richer, but at times, there is a low rumble that sounds like the speaker is cracked or something. This stood out PROFOUNDLY with one particular movie I was watching but the title eludes me at the moment. I think it was "Maria Full of Grace". If I back off the volume a bit, it is fine. I would imagine the addition of a sub woofer would eliminate this altogether. I posted because I felt that the people that responded earlier in the thread helped me so I wanted to help them. Sue me for being a newbie, I research every aspect of a product I can before buying it. If that means "intruding" on your thread I'm sorry.

So if you're willing to call me on my "suspicious" post... Provide me with an email address or a way to show the photos to you to prove you wrong.
post #22 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

So if you're willing to call me on my "suspicious" post... Provide me with an email address or a way to show the photos to you to prove you wrong.

Photos are, imho, irrelevant. What I'd like to know is to what other speakers you are comparing their audio performance. Have you some personal in-house experience with standard quality speaker that the rest of us might be familiar with?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #23 of 104 Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Reading this sort of pissed me off... I went all over the internet to see if there was any one who had written any reviews about these speakers to see if they would be worth investing in. I found this site and read the good bad and the ugly and went and installed them. If this site PERMITS photos, I will gladly post the picture of the wall where they installed and are awaiting painting. We are having the house professionally painted in the middle of June so I wanted to get this done prior to that.

Sorry if you think I was singling you out, but you have to realize there are 5 other first time posters in this thread too who have not come back for any follow up, including a representative of the company who had a very nice to response to the negative review. I still find it all odd, and by some other's responses, it appears I am not the only one.

So since you came back for a follow up, just by your description of the 'rumbling noise', I would think that would be a bit worrisome, I wouldn't expect that to be normal. Is it just out of one speaker, or both of them? Could one be loose in the wall and vibrating against something? If it's just one you may want to see about exchanging or replacing it under warranty before you get the nice paint job done.
post #24 of 104 Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry boo it is suspicious regardless of you getting ticked off. Anyone can open an account and it seems a larger than normal amount have just for this particular product. To say it's suspicious is like saying Tornadoes are windy. So sorry if you get upset but all the first timers cannot just be coincidence.
post #25 of 104 Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Meaning something like Bose 701's as I referenced in my first post? Look, I love music and we have nearly 700 cd's. I listen to music everywhere I go. I know what sounds good and what sounds like crap. As I stated earlier, I have NEVER been impressed with the Bose 701's at home as I was with them on display in the store. These Onsia speakers sound GREAT to me. My receiver is a 100 watt Sony that I actually blew an amplifier in it when it was hooked to the 701's. We bought another top of the line Sony receiver and eventually got this one repaired. when I turn up the voulume to a little over 60% the speakers seem to hit their limits as they should {rated at 50 watts}. Other than DEEP BASS sounds {imagine what a cracked speaker may sound like} affecting their performance {only happened once or twice so far}, these are great and their costs are very compatible with anything else I would have considered doing.

Look, if you do NOT want to look at UGLY speakers crammed and hanging on the wall {like us} this is the perfect solution. If our plan was to keep this house for 10 years and not just 5 more, I would consider adding two more behind the tv and two downstairs on the music stereo. I am not dissapointed one bit in these and everyone that comes up to our room to check it out is very impressed.
post #26 of 104 Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Meaning something like Bose 701's as I referenced in my first post?

Oh. Sorry I asked.

Quote:

These Onsia speakers sound GREAT to me.

That's fine. All I am trying to do is see what your experience level is. Bose speakers and Sony receiver tells me.

Quote:

Look, if you do NOT want to look at UGLY speakers crammed and hanging on the wall {like us} this is the perfect solution. If our plan was to keep this house for 10 years and not just 5 more, I would consider adding two more behind the tv and two downstairs on the music stereo. I am not dissapointed one bit in these and everyone that comes up to our room to check it out is very impressed.

No argument with your choice as long as the priorities are clear. No surprise, either.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #27 of 104 Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow talk about getting defensive. If anything, that makes more suspicious than ever.

Quote:

everyone that comes up to our room to check it out is very impressed.

Of course no one will tell you if they think they suck. That'd be like saying "congratulations on having that ugly baby".
post #28 of 104 Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

As I stated earlier, I have NEVER been impressed with the Bose 701's at home as I was with them on display in the store.

You may want to listen to those Bose again. Are you sure they are THAT bad?
post #29 of 104 Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Sorry boo it is suspicious regardless of you getting ticked off. Anyone can open an account and it seems a larger than normal amount have just for this particular product. To say it's suspicious is like saying Tornadoes are windy. So sorry if you get upset but all the first timers cannot just be coincidence.

I've been feelin' kind of poorly lately. Thanks for this thread. It has already put a smile on my face and a little step in my giddy(up). I was thinking of a wind from a different source!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #30 of 104 Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

You may want to listen to those Bose again. Are you sure they are THAT bad?

Probably not if you compare it with a speaker behind a wall surface.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page