any good tower speakers that are thin like these? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html

but would cost around $100 each instead? i'm looking to get 4...2 in the front and 2 in the rears. thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Liked: 14
I am not sure if there are even any lousy ones that cheap, much less good ones.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure for the price they are decent. I'm currently running SDAT's that people call "white van" speakers but they sound awesome for the price. I'd say get them they can't sound to bad.
post #4 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

I'm sure for the price they are decent. I'm currently running SDAT's that people call "white van" speakers but they sound awesome for the price. I'd say get them they can't sound to bad.

The point of the OP was that he wants to spend 1/3 as much.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

i can get these decent floor stand speakers for $59/each:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4005092

but they are huge. someone must know a thin floor speaker out there. if not i just settle for the one above. and in order to heard true hd or dolby hd or whatever u call it..do u need a speaker that can decode it or it is just the reciever?
post #6 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

just look at the specs...look like the polk tower speakers will do...it said it is less that 1 sq. ft. the fluance speaker is 10.6" X 10.6" so dimension almost the same.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post

if not i just settle for the one above.

I wouldn't call it "just settling". Those are an absolute steal at the price!
post #8 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

would those speaker be able to do true hd, or dolby hd or whatever u call it. or it doesn't matter, it is the reciever that is that i should be worry about since the receiver is the only one that is capable of those features i describe above?
post #9 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the link i gave u...on the products page...it said speakers with the price. and pix shows 2 speakers...so is the $59.99 for 1 speaker or 2 speaker?
post #10 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

the link i gave u...on the products page...it said speakers with the price. and pix shows 2 speakers...so is the $59.99 for 1 speaker or 2 speaker?

It says each.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

http://www.fluance.com/fluanes1higf.html

but would cost around $100 each instead? i'm looking to get 4...2 in the front and 2 in the rears. thx in advance.

Wow, those look nice for the price -- aluminum body with a glossy front. Someone here should try them out for the team.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:

would those speaker be able to do true hd, or dolby hd or whatever u call it. or it doesn't matter, it is the reciever that is that i should be worry about since the receiver is the only one that is capable of those features i describe above?

It is the reciever.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Wow, those look nice for the price -- aluminum body with a glossy front. Someone here should try them out for the team.

Buy them, send them to me, and I will give you my opinion for free!
post #14 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is the reciever.

so if it is the reciever that is doing all the work. why would need an expensive speakers vs a cheap speakers? what can good speakers do vs a cheap speaker? when u buy a speaker, are there any measurement that tell u that it is good vs a bad one? like for example, when i buy a lcd...i make sure it has at least 1080p...does speakers have any of that kinda measurement?
post #15 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"what can good speakers do vs a cheap speaker?" Sound good...
post #16 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Seriously, it is well known that the quality of your speakers contributes more to sound quality than any other component.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

Seriously, it is well known that the quality of your speakers contributes more to sound quality than any other component.

so dolby hd or dts-hd won't matter since reciever is the only component that can do that?
post #18 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

so dolby hd or dts-hd won't matter since reciever is the only component that can do that?

Not sure if I understand your question. Any speaker can accept True HD, Dts etc. A higher quality speaker will just give you clearer sound. Hope that helps. There is no such thing as a Hd speaker, if that's what you mean.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not sure if I understand your question. Any speaker can accept True HD, Dts etc. A higher quality speaker will just give you clearer sound. Hope that helps. There is no such thing as a Hd speaker, if that's what you mean.

clearer sounds? is that subjective or objective? can you give any measurement to clearer sound?
post #20 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Find a show room and listen to their cheapest speakers vs their most expensive and you'll understand.
post #21 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

clearer sounds? is that subjective or objective? can you give any measurement to clearer sound?

That, my friend, is the million dollar question. I suggest you listen to a variety of speakers and choose what you like. Sound quality is purely subjective.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

when u buy a speaker, are there any measurement that tell u that it is good vs a bad one? like for example, when i buy a lcd...i make sure it has at least 1080p...does speakers have any of that kinda measurement?

Yes, but its almost better to shop brands than specs. Keep in mind speakers are electromechanical devices, the technology is tried and true. Real speaker manufacturers like Infinity and JBL and Polk will make you a good budget speaker. They will have degreed engineers design and test them for accuracy.

Its important that the individual cones have sizable magnets, and the cabinet is strong, well braced, and with the proper internal dimensions (which generates the bass).

For budget speakers, its also important that the manufacturer sinks his limited manufacturing budget towards quality, and not quantity.

So if you look at those Polks ... you notice they are not flashy. That is because Polk knows that for 60 bucks, they cant afford to spend a dime on flash. Polk gives you a decent midrange driver, and a decent tweeter, and a proper cabinet. They engineer it properly, and its a good product.

A good budget speaker will be heavy for its size ... it will be dinky but weigh like 15-25 pounds.
A bad budget speaker will be light for its size, it will be HUGE and weight 15-25 pounds.

What "White Van" manufacturers tend to do, is they go for flashy looks, at the expense of sound. They will give you a crappy big cabinet, with lots of cheesy drivers, and to a Noob it will look like a great deal:

But the stuff is complete crap inside ... the magnets weigh an ounce, the cabinets resonate horribly, and they sound horrible. Often there are no speaker engineers even involved in the design ... they get designed by some manufacturing expert that knows how to make a speaker LOOK impressive.

So a good budget speaker will not be flashy ... it will look functional, and boxy, and it will have a damn good cone and tweeter in it for the price

And it will sound worlds better than that flashy white van crap.
post #23 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:

make sure it has at least 1080p?

Dude, sudy at least a little! 1080p is video resolution, It has nothing to do with sound at all!
post #24 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Dude, sudy at least a little! 1080p is video resolution, It has nothing to do with sound at all!

dude..u should learn to read..u took my quote out of context. go back and read my whole quote.
post #25 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:

dude..u should learn to read..u took my quote out of context. go back and read my whole quote.

Oh, sorry. (You were asking about recievers and speakers, so mentioning 1080p in that context seemed totally unrelated.)
post #26 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1080P is the least important spec for a TV in terms of video quality. Brightness, Contrast, Color gamut, black levels (related to contrast), are much more
important.

Also, audio quality is both subjective and objective. If the Frequency response as tested by good reviewers shows great deviations from the average at typical listening volumes, its not going to sound very good compared to one with a tighter FR. Also, you can check for cabinet resonances with accelerometer. Those are just a couple of objective examples, plenty more. You need to go and listen to various speakers. You will understand immediately if you compare a 50$ MSRP speaker to a 500$ MSRP speaker and perhaps to a 5000$ MSRP speaker from the same brand.

Don't rely on specs, rely on your senses. Just because the box says it can do certain things doesn't mean squat if you hear/see differently
post #27 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, sorry. (You were asking about recievers and speakers, so mentioning 1080p in that context seemed totally unrelated.)

yes...i said...if receivers and speakers have some type of measurements like what 1080p is to lcd hdtv. i didnt say if recievers or speakers have 1080p...did i?
post #28 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

"Also, audio quality is both subjective and objective. If the Frequency response as tested by good reviewers shows great deviations from the average at typical listening volumes, its not going to sound very good compared to one with a tighter FR. Also, you can check for cabinet resonances with accelerometer. Those are just a couple of objective examples, plenty more. You need to go and listen to various speakers. You will understand immediately if you compare a 50$ MSRP speaker to a 500$ MSRP speaker and perhaps to a 5000$ MSRP speaker from the same brand." Ultimately, quality sound is what sounds good to you; purely subjective. Most people don't buy speakers based on charts and graphs, but buy what sounds good to them. Sound can be measured objectively, but what constitutes pleasing sound is always subjective.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Also, audio quality is both subjective and objective. If the Frequency response as tested by good reviewers shows great deviations from the average at typical listening volumes, its not going to sound very good compared to one with a tighter FR. Also, you can check for cabinet resonances with accelerometer. Those are just a couple of objective examples, plenty more. You need to go and listen to various speakers. You will understand immediately if you compare a 50$ MSRP speaker to a 500$ MSRP speaker and perhaps to a 5000$ MSRP speaker from the same brand."

Ultimately, quality sound is what sounds good to you; purely subjective. Most people don't buy speakers based on charts and graphs, but buy what sounds good to them. Sound can be measured objectively, but what constitutes pleasing sound is always subjective.

Not necessarily. To me, quality sound is getting as close to the source material as possible and buying the best source that is true to the musicians. In order to get as close to what is on the source as possible, the speakers have to be as accurate as possible. You will not get accuracy from a speaker that has a crappy FR vs. SPL in-room response (which brings up the importance of room treatments, but thats a different thread). You will not get accuracy from a speaker that have high distortion at applicable listening levels. There are other important measurements which I wont get into.

If you like the boom box sound, the smiley face equalization, or any other such inaccuracies, thats fine, but its not anywhere near what the music was meant to sound like by the artists themselves - which may or may not be important to you. This, however, is certainly important to many people, including musicians.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Not necessarily. To me, quality sound is getting as close to the source material as possible and buying the best source that is true to the musicians. In order to get as close to what is on the source as possible, the speakers have to be as accurate as possible...

good points...so how do u measure close to the source if you never hear the source in the first place? my question is how do u measure the accuracy?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page