Digital vs. Analog Crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to HT and want to integrate my 2ch system with the 5.1. Since I now have a subwoofer I want to integrate that with the 2 ch system, when in 2 ch mode.

I will run my speakers full mode, they are -3db down in the low 30s. I figure the subwoofer crossover setpoint to be no more than the low 40s. I could just use the subwoofer's crossover, but then it would be too low for LFE in 5.1 mode.

My solution is to put an active crossover before the subwoofer. It would feed the subwoofer the 40Hz or so signal from the 2ch speakers. The LFE 5.1 feed from the HT pre/pro would go into the subwoofer where the two signals would be summed. The subwoofer's crossover could be disabled or set at 80Hz.

My question really deals with the active crossover selection. I can get a Bryston 10B or some digital crossovers. Some Yamaha D1030 or D2040 are available for a reasonable price. My thinking is the Bryston would be better because it avoids an ADC – DAC step. Yamaha pro units, like the D1030 sure aren't used in home audio circles. Nada about it in any forums. It’s cost wouldn’t stop people from using it if it was good, so I wonder why it hasn’t caught. Units like DEQX and Tact, true home audio products do the ADC - DAC step, too, but are focused on room correction.

So, in summary, keep the crossover analog with a Bryston, or are there benefits to a digital crossover that outway the ADC-DAC step?

Equipment
Speakers - Merlin VSM - ME
Subwoofer - JL Audio Fathom 113
Preamp - Joule Electra LA-150
Amp- Music Reference RM9 Mk. II
Pre/Pro - Integra 9.8