Great Resource for vintage AR Speaker Owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FWIW, I've got a pair of Acoustic Research AR-3a's I've had since new (in the mid-70's) that I've discovered can be salvaged by refoaming the woofers with a little TLC and readily obtainable materials.

From another thread about the OP's blown JBL's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Check out this thread. It may help you decide.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...read.php?t=469

Thanks to the pics that accompany the explanation, that's the best refoam/resurround HowTo I've seen (of several) since I started researching ways to restore the woofers in my AR-3a's. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the link.

That got me to doing some more diggin' around, and I think I hit the jackpot! Over at The Classic Speaker Pages I found brochures, schematics and parts lists, and a timeline listing the chronology of models produced (with several physical specs)--just to mention a few. Best of all, I also discovered a recently posted 33-page pdf titled Restoring the AR-3a.

I knew I liked 'em from the time I bought 'em, but I'm ecstatic to discover the great reputation these speakers still carry today. Guess I know what my next Audio project is gonna be . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
Always loved those speakers............good luck and maybe you can report back when you're done!
post #3 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM

My dad gave me a pair of Acoustical Research speakers...its says Teledyne AR91 on the back. Are these speakers any good? I was just going to give them to Goodwill.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 AM

kb71, Teledyne purchased AR during its later years. Personally, to me, THE classic AR series is the 2s, 2AXs, 3s, and LST. I personally don't know of anyone interested in the AR91s BUT that doesn't mean that some enthusiast wouldn't like them. My question to you is how do YOU like them? I'd like to know if YOU think they are any good. If you think they're crap sell 'em and if you like them maybe think about refurbishing them and keeping them. Let us know.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb71 View Post

My dad gave me a pair of Acoustical Research speakers...its says Teledyne AR91 on the back. Are these speakers any good? I was just going to give them to Goodwill.

Adding to zoney99's advice, it looks like those were produced 1979 - 1982 and retailed back then for $425. Not exactly bargain basement. You might want to do some research before just giving them away.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 01:13 PM

I'm am not a real good judge of good speakers. Heck, they all sound good to me. I only had them hooked up to an old pioneer receiver and just listened to CDs every now and then. I will tell you this...they are HEAVY!! I am now going down the road of building a theater in the basement...i never gave a thought of using these speakers, maybe I might try them for the fronts?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM

I just got home and checked them out...they are actually AR915s. WHere did you find the site that shows original MSRP?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb71 View Post

I just got home and checked them out...they are actually AR915s. WHere did you find the site that shows original MSRP?

From the Classic Speaker Pages link in my OP, AR Model History in Chronological Order.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 PM

I have a pair of AR 3A's that I bought when they were about 2 years old from a friend in 1971. They are the best speakers I've ever heard. Anyone know what they are worth today? I'm not selling them, just curious.

Steve
post #10 of 15 Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb71 View Post

I hope you didn't do that they are phenomenal speakers used same drivers as the ar-9's the 91's were 800 bucks in 1980 would be over three grand today. I have a pair they sound as good as any speaker in the 2 k to 5 k range easy and I own a lot of nice speakers. I use them in bedroom on peachtree nova 125. You could sell them for what they cost in 78-80 easy if the boxes are in good shape. Crossover is an easy rebuild my did not need it just a refoam. I had a blast bringing them back to life. Another 25 years left in them my grills look brand new the cabinets are mint I love them. My father in law took great care of them.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM

You must not
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoney99 View Post

kb71, Teledyne purchased AR during its later years. Personally, to me, THE classic AR series is the 2s, 2AXs, 3s, and LST. I personally don't know of anyone interested in the AR91s BUT that doesn't mean that some enthusiast wouldn't like them. My question to you is how do YOU like them? I'd like to know if YOU think they are any good. If you think they're crap sell 'em and if you like them maybe think about refurbishing them and keeping them. Let us know.
you must not know much about this speaker it's better than the 3,s or any early ar speaker used much higher quality drivers and oil caps in crossover unheard of back then. People think the original ar's are best because they were the first of the acoustic reflex but they are very dated in there sound. The are 91 uses driver that are still used by likes of proac and Rogers and Franco Serbian of sonus used slik tweets and mids he like the ar 9 series so much. Also,when sold to rely most of the original designers were hired on.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia 9 View Post

You must not
you must not know much about this speaker it's better than the 3,s or any early ar speaker used much higher quality drivers and oil caps in crossover unheard of back then. People think the original ar's are best because they were the first of the acoustic reflex but they are very dated in there sound. The are 91 uses driver that are still used by likes of proac and Rogers and Franco Serbian of sonus used slik tweets and mids he like the ar 9 series so much. Also,when sold to rely most of the original designers were hired on.

I've never heard the 9 series, but agree that the vintage Ar's had serious response issues (which are virtually impossible to eliminate entirely because of the haphazard driver arrangement on the baffle), but all of those oldies used oil caps made in Chicago. I have a ton of them from AR's I've updated.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

I've never heard the 9 series, but agree that the vintage Ar's had serious response issues (which are virtually impossible to eliminate entirely because of the haphazard driver arrangement on the baffle), but all of those oldies used oil caps made in Chicago. I have a ton of them from AR's I've updated.
I guess what I meant to say was there were a lot of speakers that did not use oil capacitors they used cheaper resisters and capacitors. I am rebuilding a pair of Norman lab model 8's and the parts quality in the crossover were marginal though they work well for the time now they sound much better.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks for this post .  My first speakers were a used pair of AR2a s.  They had great sound in a simple, well built, pine plywood cabinet.  Wish I still had them.

post #15 of 15 Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am loving my restored 2ax'. Help from Carl at http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com/. New caps, pots, surrounds and refinish. Homemade stands.

Next, I may look into refreshing the tweeters, changing the technology as little as possible.

KECN likes this.

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page