Aperion 532 l/r and center = $540

Option 2:
Polk RTi8's - $300
Polk CSi3 - $150

Option 3:
JBL L830's l/r
JBL LC1
via HarmanAudio on the 'bay

I need to stay on a budget because buying a new TV (my first HD) along with a PS3 is now causing me to upgrade my receiver and speakers. I've had my current receiver over 15 yrs. Haven't chosen a receiver yet but am probably going with either a Denon or a Yamaha in the $500-$1100 range though considering the popular Onkyo 705 also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speakers are more important than the receiver IMO.
Spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers.
You can get a decent receiver for around $250.00
Buy a front left and right and SUB. Use phantom center until you can offord a good center. Get the surrounds before the center if the phantom works out OK which it should. I say get the SUB before the center because with the speakers you have in your list you will be missing the bottom end which brings life to your movies. My $0.02

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post

I'm looking at:

Option 1:
Aperion 532 l/r and center = $540

Option 2:
Polk RTi8's - $300
Polk CSi3 - $150

Option 3:
JBL L830's l/r
JBL LC1
via HarmanAudio on the 'bay

I need to stay on a budget because buying a new TV (my first HD) along with a PS3 is now causing me to upgrade my receiver and speakers. I've had my current receiver over 15 yrs. Haven't chosen a receiver yet but am probably going with either a Denon or a Yamaha in the $500-$1100 range though considering the popular Onkyo 705 also.

i'm not an audiophile or an expert at all, but just thought i'd share my decision making process w/ you; i'd been debating aperion vs. polk myself for awhile & just finally pulled the trigger on polk rti8's from frys (& will shortly purchase a csi3 as well). i figured that the rti8's would/should get you a little bit more bass than the aperion bookshelves (floorstanders vs. bookshleves) & that w/ the polk setup you'd have a "dedicated" center speaker vs. using a bookshelf speaker w/ the aperion setup.

that being said, i'm sure if you post the same question in the aperion owners thread you'd get a different response. i've read many people say that aperion bookshelves "image" better than RTi's.

(i'd post in the polkies thread as well, many helpful people in both threads)
post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 04:21 PM

My 3.0 setup for now consists of a pair of RTi4's and a CSi3. I'm quite happy with it, especially considering I only spent $300 total on the speakers For the first week or so I just had the RTi4's in phantom mode. Adding the CSi3 added quite a bit. Getting an optical cable to connect the TV to the receiver was icing on the cake. Sure, a sub would be nice to fill out the sound, but...

I really hadn't budgeted for the speakers right now, was just going to live with the speakers on the TV until I saved some more money. Then my sister brought me their old receiver, and, well, I just had to put it to work!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I consider the Aperions better in imaging, mid details, and soundstage, than the RTi's. My neighbor has RTi's, and he is going to list them for sale, as he didn't care for them, I didn't care either.

I didn't see a sub in your equipment list, something that would greatly benefit the Aperions. If in a tight budget I would highly recommend you taking a look at JBL's, I find them better than Polk's, and provide excellent bass.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Speakers are more important than the receiver IMO.
Spend less on the receiver and more on the speakers.
You can get a decent receiver for around $250.00
Buy a front left and right and SUB. Use phantom center until you can offord a good center. Get the surrounds before the center if the phantom works out OK which it should. I say get the SUB before the center because with the speakers you have in your list you will be missing the bottom end which brings life to your movies. My $0.02

What do you mean by phantom center?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page