Magnepan models question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2001, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been planning on upgrading to a set of 5 MMGs for my system, but I would like to at least consider buying used, higher-end models. The problem I am encountering is the number of variations out there. I would hazard to guess that a "B" model would be older than a "C", but what about the QR and the fact that the Magnepan site lists these models with no Bs and Cs and so on? I am mostly looking at the 1.6s, they have great ratings and the used ones I have seen out there often fall into a range that might be doable for me. I just need to know what iteration of the 1.6s I need to look at to get the most recent version.

Also, I have heard that Magnepan has put out a new center channel speaker that goes below 85hz but have not been able to find any info on it. Can anyone give me some info on this? Price, specs, etc. My viggest problem with going with maggies has always been the lack of low frequency in the center channel, so a new model would be something I would love to see.

Thanks,

C.E. Tekell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2001, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, this is an easy one.

There are no "versions" of the 1.6 at this point in time, we're on the first iteration of the design.

QR just differentiates the Quasi-ribbon designs from the ribbon designs. Technically speaking, it's the 1.6 QR.

Regards,

------------------
---
Contributing Writer,
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2001, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The numbering is a mess, ever since they moved away from the S/I/II(2)/III(3) model naming, there is no correlation as to highr model # = newer or better. MG12, MG10, MG0.*, MG20, these stick out with no correlation to which model is higher up the chain.

I heard about a new center channel also, but don't know the details. Either they go to dynamic drivers for the LF or uses bigger panels. They should just do something that goes down to 120hz since that is where many preamps have their small speaker settings. Any lower, they would have to have a giant center channel, or use the dreaded cones. Whatever it is, it won't be cheap, especially since they raised the price of the mgcc1 to $900.

people out there are jacking up their used speaker prices along with the price increases of maggies. used mgcc1 goes for almost as much as their originally introduced price, used 3.6R goes for more than their original introduced price.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2001, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

IMHO, a pair of older 1's or 2's would make better fronts than the MMG's, especially the II's(A or B). Then use the MMG's as surrounds.

I currently have a pair of MG-IA's for my audio only system and think they sound much better then the MMG's. The MG-II's can be had for around $700 - $800 on EBay and the MG-I's even less.

------------------
Dave B.
ODAT

Dave B.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2001, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You can often find MG10s for around $700. These have no bass under 80, but you'll be using a sub anyway. I had a pair a while ago and they were very good.

Cheers

Steve
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page