best method of connecting home speaker wire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ive heard of speaker bi-wiring but don't know what it is or if there are better methods?
my receiver has holes inside the terminal posts (i.e. five-way binding posts) for each channel.
im wiring out from a pioneer vsx53tx to S-G300B-K (2) and S-CR400-K (3) plus an extra set of S-CR400-K (2) surrounds for a total of 7 channels (no sub yet!).
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Liked: 12
I don't consider there to be a "best" way, though others will disagree. Bi-wiring is a waste of time and money. If you're using a sufficiently adequate gauge of wire in the first place, there is no benefit. As for the actual connection itself, I use banana plugs just for the simple convenience. When I'm twisted behind my equipment, I really don't want to deal with unscrewing the binding post and slipping the wire into place. I've accidentally shorted wires against the case this way before. A purist will probably say that running the wire directly to the binding post will give the "purest" connection, but I don't subscribe to the belief that an extra .000000001 ohm in the signal path is audible.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
bannana plugs are very convienent and, as mentioned, reduce the chance of a cross connect with wire "whiskers" sticking out. Some folks just "tin" the end of the speaker wire with solder and use the screw posts to make the connection, some just stick the bare copper in. All work !
Read Mr. Russell's excellent site on wire size for speakers
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
although he makes a case for wire smaller than 14 gauge, I would just use 14 gauge as the smallest practical size for speaker wiring (personal choice).

If you do a quick google search on bi-wiring, I think you will find a lot of information about the lack of any "real" benefit in using the technique.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips
so im going banana
gold if possible
noticed different kinds some that look like a screw post pinches the wire
others that are crimp connect
is there any concensus on advantages/dis of either method
i was trolling "radio snacks" website and saw more options than i needed

btw can i use bananas to connect to the back of the speakers with the spring type connections or only for 5 way terminal posts at the receiver?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbanba View Post

thanks for the tips
so im going banana
gold if possible
noticed different kinds some that look like a screw post pinches the wire
others that are crimp connect
is there any concensus on advantages/dis of either method
i was trolling "radio snacks" website and saw more options than i needed

btw can i use bananas to connect to the back of the speakers with the spring type connections or only for 5 way terminal posts at the receiver?

I bought banana plug from monoprice. Gold plated, high quality, fast and cheap. I also bought 12 gauge wire about 1/4 the cost of big box stores. Again quality, fast, cheap... I'd highly recommend them. The plugs make connections very easy to the back of today's HT receivers with 5 or 7 sets of connections. You can do spades but you could have a problem trying to get them to fit without touching each other. After I installed the banana plugs on the wire, I put color coded heat shrink over the outside to avoid any risk of shorting, probably overkill but I'm an engineer and apparently I'm 'sick.' Here is a pic of the back of my Pio 92. I only had two speakers connected but the plugs work very well. They do stick out quite a bit and hit the back of my cabinet (which I have since cut out). If your speakers have the push down clips you cannot use banana plugs but there is a similar thin pin (not sure what it is called) that you can use. Monoprice might have those too.
LL
vivatech likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

nice pic thanks
so you have the 12ga going into the bananas
i think im going to take a reciprocating saw to the back of my woodwork to make room...
thanks for the tips
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page