is there such a thing as too much speaker? help me narrow the field. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room is 15 x 14 ft TV is on the long wall. The couch is opposite the TV against the opposite wall.

Currently I have an Onkyo HT-R510 which was part of a 6.1 HTIB. I am running it 5.1 and I replaced the two Fronts with Floor standing Infiniti Primus 250s

It sounds better, but obviously its a mismatch and so now I want to design something that makes sense for the room.

I considered just buying the current primus center and surrounds and a new 10" sub, but for the money I think I can do better.

I was seriously considering the Aperion 5 series cinema setup, but do I really want to connect $2k worth of speakers to a receiver that was part of a $300 HTIB? I mean it seems silly, if the receiver is 50% of the setup and I at best plan to upgrade to a $1200 receiver in the future I can not see spending so much on speakers.

If I buy the Infiniti Primus center and surrounds ( which I assume will still match with my older Primus 250, thats about $450 or so and then maybe $300 on a sub so thats $750 total.

Could I do better spending $750 - $1000 on another brand matched set?
I really prefer to keep Floor standers at the front because I like the fuller sound, seems like book shelve speakers just do not do it for me.

I know I know what sounds good to me right, but I don't want to go check out 50 different brands not even knowing if any one of them is worth what I am paying and I don't want to buy speakers that are the equivalent of putting racing tires on a pinto.

Pleasr help a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Speakers can last for many, many years. It sounds like you are going to replace the receiver soon, or your thinking about it, but at the moment you want to get speakers. If you want to get speakers now thats fine, but remember they have a long shelf life so get the ones you want, then when you replace the receiver, the job is complete.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaniix View Post

I was seriously considering the Aperion 5 series cinema setup, but do I really want to connect $2k worth of speakers to a receiver that was part of a $300 HTIB? I mean it seems silly, if the receiver is 50% of the setup and I at best plan to upgrade to a $1200 receiver in the future I can not see spending so much on speakers.

I would say the Receiver is more like 35% of the set up but that's just me. Personally, and I could be completely wrong in my way of thinking, but I would spent the most on the speakers. Like Mike said, speakers have a great shelf life and don't really suffer from the "going obsolete" problem like receivers.

If you are planning on upgrading the Receiver later on, I'd buy some great speakers (demoing is a must). I don't have much experience with that particular receiver, but if it has all the inputs and processing you need, just add an Amp to the mix to help drive those speakers you plan on buying.

Joel
PSN: DAdvocate
post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

You said the sound of bookshelves don't do it for you but in your post, I see very little about the sub. Your sub is surely lacking. Good book shelves matched with a capable sub will change your mind about them. Majority of floorstanders are not going to give you enough low bass to eliminate a sub. You don't need to upgrade everything at once. I do believe a sub is higher above surrounds in terms of importance. Suggesting speaker brands is difficult, we all have our opinions and are fans of certain brands.

If it is a money/budget issue, how about you upgrade the center now to match your 250s. Get the best sub you can spring for, upgrade the surrounds later.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 AM

+1, well said Mather.

Joel
PSN: DAdvocate
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

You said the sound of bookshelves don't do it for you but in your post, I see very little about the sub. Your sub is surely lacking. Good book shelves matched with a capable sub will change your mind about them. Majority of floorstanders are not going to give you enough low bass to eliminate a sub. You don't need to upgrade everything at once. I do believe a sub is higher above surrounds in terms of importance. Suggesting speaker brands is difficult, we all have our opinions and are fans of certain brands.

If it is a money/budget issue, how about you upgrade the center now to match your 250s. Get the best sub you can spring for, upgrade the surrounds later.

part money issue and part wife. If I buy a center to match my 250s she will make me keep that setup till the end of time and I am not sure I like the 250s enough to do that. I do plan on a good sub though, sorry If I left that out.

Maybe the best deal is to simply wait till I have $2k for the entire setup buy it at once and be done with it. I just don't think I will be happy enough with the Infinity speakers
post #7 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
2 5" woofers in your 250's will benefit greatly with the addition of a decent subwoofer. Don't give up on your existing speakers until you have heard them with a sub...you opinion may change.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

2 5" woofers in your 250's will benefit greatly with the addition of a decent subwoofer. Don't give up on your existing speakers until you have heard them with a sub...you opinion may change.

What sub would you suggest?
post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
post #10 of 10 Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Try to get the best sub you can afford. Get one you that you think is oversized, because it will give you some headroom later. Get a quality sub because it's not as easy to say, sell and ship as a center or even floorstanders. So it's important to have one that will stick around.

Then run the 250s in phantom center (w/o center) with the new capable sub. See then if you are now satisfied with the 250s, if you are, get your center to match and know you're happy. If not, change out the 250s and get your new front threes.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page