BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3331 of 4712 Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I built a false wall for my screen about 1.5 feet from the real wall. I have my PL-89's behind my transparent screen and it works great! You don't have to go for in wall speakers. Do what I did and get better sound.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 4712 Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Hey guys I'm running the PL-89s as Front L&R and have dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses and have them hooked to an Onkyo 808.

I at first had the 89s xover at 60hz which I loved for movies, but not so much for 2 ch stereo music. Cuz there is no .1 the only sound going to the subs is 60hz and below. I found that there was a lack of bass set like that so I tried 80hz Xover and it sounded better. BUT for music to me what sounds best is having the 89s set to Full Band and Double Bass On.

Question: Will I ruin/damage the 89s if I leave them set to Full Band and Double Bass On for everything (TV, Movies, Music, Gaming)??? Keep in mind my room isn't acoustically treated and my wife hates loudness and we have a 10 month old daughter so our movie listening is at -44 to -34db, TV at -54 to -44db, and music at -20 to -30 db.

The reason I'm asking is cuz its a pain to have to switch those settings everytime I want to listen to music compared to TV or movie. PLUS my wife never changes anything nor do I want her to. LOL. Also I don't wanna screw up my speakers, so help make my decision.

Shawn
post #3333 of 4712 Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
hey guys.. im new here but been reading for a long time as a guest..

After tons of review and reading and waiting / studying / analyzing.. I've recently a acquired a 5.1 system with (2) PL-76 / (2) PL-66 / (1)PL-28 . PL-200 sub.. setup on an Onkyo TX-NR609 and about to get into the setup of the installation soon..

(yes i tried for PL-89 but they are back ordered until late april 2012 so I couldn't wait that long anymore ;p)

However I have a situation where in this 14x16x10height room i dont really have the option of mounting on walls.

So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on speaker mounts (not on wall or ceiling) for the PL-66 surrounds ? I know they weight roughly 30lbs!
Also any other suggestions you guys might have about setting these particular speakers up would be a great.. I've read through the entire thread really but figured id throw that in there.. incase anyone felt overly friendly with sharing information!

Any help would be appreciated!
post #3334 of 4712 Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukepuppy View Post

After tons of review and reading and waiting / studying / analyzing.. I've recently a acquired a 5.1 system with (2) PL-76 / (2) PL-66 / (1)PL-28 . PL-200 sub.. setup on an Onkyo TX-NR609 and about to get into the setup of the installation soon..

(yes i tried for PL-89 but they are back ordered until late april 2012 so I couldn't wait that long anymore ;p)

However I have a situation where in this 14x16x10height room i dont really have the option of mounting on walls.

So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on speaker mounts (not on wall or ceiling) for the PL-66 surrounds ? I know they weight roughly 30lbs!
Also any other suggestions you guys might have about setting these particular speakers up would be a great.. I've read through the entire thread really but figured id throw that in there.. incase anyone felt overly friendly with sharing information!

My best personal option would be to buy 4 lengths of 2x6's and have them cut down to size at the shop and a couple of planks of fiberboard for top and bottom. Then buy some laminate and Gorilla glue and put it together. You should be able to make 2 really good and sturdy platforms for under $20 this way.
post #3335 of 4712 Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukepuppy View Post

FYI the PL-66s weigh about 15 lbs each/ 30 lbs per pair.

Shawn
post #3336 of 4712 Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM

I used about 4 feet of 4x4. and some premium pieces of wood for base and top, painted em black, looks ok. Cheap for sure.
post #3337 of 4712 Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

I used about 4 feet of 4x4. and some premium pieces of wood for base and top, painted em black, looks ok. Cheap for sure.

Hmm anything pre-made anyone might know about? I don't mind spending some money but not going to spend hundreds ;p

But if not then I will most likely consider building something.
post #3338 of 4712 Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi there, I am also very interested in the Bic Acoustechs as replacement speakers seeing how well people feel about them here on AVS, so I signed up to ask a question and go from there. I couldnt find anywhere on the web of a picture of an Acoustech opened up to show the internals (not just the grills removed). Im curious to see how much thought, quality and care went into the production and a good visual would be nice of course. Is there any link to a picture of the inside of a PL series speaker?

Also, I know it's hard to find external reviews outside of owners opinions, but I stumbled onto one reviewing the PL 89 which got their Silver Award.

http://floor-standing-speakers.topte...89-review.html

thanks!
post #3339 of 4712 Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM

So I've decided on the pl 200 after reading all your positive views. Do the the wife and toddlers factors, I am limited onmy placement options. It looks like the most out of the way place is in a rear corner of the room. The room is about 20ft wide by 15 deep. My fronts go down to about 38hz. Will I still get descent sound?
And how far does the port need to be from a wall?
All ques or comments welcome
post #3340 of 4712 Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Hey guys,

I have been spending a fair amount of time watching/reading this thread. I am finishing my basement in which I will have a media/theater area. My plan is to have my sub, L, C, R be BIC with my surround and rears in a 7.1 set up be in-wall monoprice.

For reference, its been ages since I had a surround set up, with my only experience being a 400 dollar JBL from BB. I will be blown away by anything I get. Downside is not really being able to hear the BICs, just going based on reviews.

I will be going with the PL series the 76 or 89. Having a hard time picking which one. The room is an open family room. It measures 15' x 30'. Media/Theater area will be 12' x 15'ish.

I have read various opinions on here as well as called and spoke to a gal at BIC. She basically stated the main difference is in terms of loudness. That the 76 series would be fine for the room just would needed to be paired with a sub for optimum results.

I asked about going with the pl-26 or pl-28, if i was using the 76 series. She recommended going witha pl-28 if it would "fit". That the 26 and 28 shared the same tweeter.

I was hoping to hear from you guys on if you did choose the 76 if you went with the 26 or 28.

I also inquired about the difference between the FH-6T, FH6-LCR series vs PL an basically the only statement that was made that the PL was their top of the line series.

Thanks.
post #3341 of 4712 Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Hey guys,

I have been spending a fair amount of time watching/reading this thread. I am finishing my basement in which I will have a media/theater area. My plan is to have my sub, L, C, R be BIC with my surround and rears in a 7.1 set up be in-wall monoprice.

For reference, its been ages since I had a surround set up, with my only experience being a 400 dollar JBL from BB. I will be blown away by anything I get. Downside is not really being able to hear the BICs, just going based on reviews.

I will be going with the PL series the 76 or 89. Having a hard time picking which one. The room is an open family room. It measures 15' x 30'. Media/Theater area will be 12' x 15'ish.

I have read various opinions on here as well as called and spoke to a gal at BIC. She basically stated the main difference is in terms of loudness. That the 76 series would be fine for the room just would needed to be paired with a sub for optimum results.

I asked about going with the pl-26 or pl-28, if i was using the 76 series. She recommended going witha pl-28 if it would "fit". That the 26 and 28 shared the same tweeter.

I was hoping to hear from you guys on if you did choose the 76 if you went with the 26 or 28.

I also inquired about the difference between the FH-6T, FH6-LCR series vs PL an basically the only statement that was made that the PL was their top of the line series.

Thanks.

Some ppl recommend getting the best center you can fit or afford.... IMO I would get the center that is the direct match for whatever L&R speakers you choose. I would get the PL-28 with the PL-89s and I would get the PL-26 with the PL-76s, but others may recommend the PL-28 no matter which towers you get. Basically I guess its just personal preference.

Also don't forget that the sub doesn't need to be from the same company. Usually subs from Internet Direct sub companies offer the best bang for the buck.

Do you alread have the monoprice in-walls? If not look at the BIC Formula series in-walls with the same horn tweeter as the front 3 your looking at getting. That would give a much more seemless soundstage if you need/want in-walls.

Shawn
post #3342 of 4712 Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 AM

I have a question for PL-200 owners. Is the woofer in the PL-200 made out of paper like the rest of the BIC Acoustech PL line?

I am trying to decide which BIC sub to purchase. I like the look of the PL-200, but the VK-12 is made out of Kevlar which seems more durable in the long run. I wish i could see them in person, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3343 of 4712 Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NETPCTECH View Post

I have a question for PL-200 owners. Is the woofer in the PL-200 made out of paper like the rest of the BIC Acoustech PL line?

I am trying to decide which BIC sub to purchase. I like the look of the PL-200, but the VK-12 is made out of Kevlar which seems more durable in the long run. I wish i could see them in person, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the complete vk series including the sub. anyreason you don't want paper woofer? they are just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate buy either one.
post #3344 of 4712 Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just purchased a PL-200 sub. Should be here by weeks end. Anything I need to do after hooking it up to my receiver? Like sound setting, tweak, etc?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #3345 of 4712 Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesu View Post

Hi there, I am also very interested in the Bic Acoustechs as replacement speakers seeing how well people feel about them here on AVS, so I signed up to ask a question and go from there. I couldnt find anywhere on the web of a picture of an Acoustech opened up to show the internals (not just the grills removed). Im curious to see how much thought, quality and care went into the production and a good visual would be nice of course. Is there any link to a picture of the inside of a PL series speaker?

Also, I know it's hard to find external reviews outside of owners opinions, but I stumbled onto one reviewing the PL 89 which got their Silver Award.

http://floor-standing-speakers.topte...89-review.html

thanks!

Maybe my brother will post pictures. He had to open them up and change the cross overs since they fried after only a few days. He elected not to go with BIC cross overs b/c how cheap they were. He also told me the in side is cheap, especially in comparison to Klipsch. He said his cross overs were glued to the side wall if I remember correctly. It seems he has had a lot of issues with them which worries me. I have one of their centers. He did say after the cross over change the speakers sound a lot better.

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #3346 of 4712 Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Hey guys,

Thanks.

I wonder if you talked to the owner. My Brother said the owner was a female

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #3347 of 4712 Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETPCTECH View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

I have the complete vk series including the sub. anyreason you don't want paper woofer? they are just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate buy either one.

Thanks hyperactiveme,

I think I will go with the VK version. Do you have any pictures. I would love to see them in a home environment.
post #3348 of 4712 Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Not sure what your looking for. I still need to build a proper rack. All pictures with cell, sorry.

post #3349 of 4712 Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

Maybe my brother will post pictures. He had to open them up and change the cross overs since they fried after only a few days. He elected not to go with BIC cross overs b/c how cheap they were. He also told me the in side is cheap, especially in comparison to Klipsch. He said his cross overs were glued to the side wall if I remember correctly. It seems he has had a lot of issues with them which worries me. I have one of their centers. He did say after the cross over change the speakers sound a lot better.

It could be that what happened to your brother's crossovers was an isolated incident. I can tell you that Klipsch crossovers are not any more well made than BIC crossovers having seen many of both. They both use basic industry standard components. There is nothing inherently wrong with gluing a crossover to the inside of a cabinet. The only way to get a superior quality crossover of either brand is to rebuild it with higher quality components. Both companies try to hit a price point. For most of the speaker buying population the stock crossovers are just fine.
post #3350 of 4712 Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. Im am seriously leaning on the Bics for their bang for the buck value. Easy to drive and comparable to the Klipsch RF line at a lot less the cost is win win.
post #3351 of 4712 Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM

I just ordered the PL-89's and a PL-28 center from acousticsounddesign.. Mike Embers was nice to me and gave me a discount to offset shipping costs to hawaii. These will be my first serious set of speakers.
I had the cheap andrew jones designed pioneer fronts and center http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/SP-FS51-LRfor a couple of days but returned it when I realized that although I liked the sound and it was a big upgrade from the speakers that came with my onkyo receiver, I could afford better.. I'm hoping these acoustech speakers give me noticeably better sound. Going to use these in my media-bedroom with an epson 8350 projector.. they BARELY fit.. the pl-89s will partially block the bottom frame of my fixed projector screen but I'm pretty determined to go for broke with this endeavor
edit: mike said the pl-89's should come in at the end of this week or the first half of next week.. if anyone is waiting to order

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #3352 of 4712 Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 18
So I've read this entire thread and other posts about BIC and it seems like the way to go with the quality of sound you get for the price so I am seriously considering getting some set for my home theater I'm putting together: pair of PL-89s, PL-28, and 2 pairs of PL-66s. I do want to hear some though if possible. Any BIC owners in Utah and if so, willing to let me hear them?
post #3353 of 4712 Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Well hopefully you find someone, but I think you'll buy them without an audition.
post #3354 of 4712 Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Any BIC owners in Utah and if so, willing to let me hear them?

PM sent
post #3355 of 4712 Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 AM

My speakers arrived, I changed my order from the PL-89s to the shorter PL-76 towers to fit below my projector screen. I haven't tweaked them yet, so far just ran audyssey and didn't adjust the settings. I got them from acoustic sound design, spoke to Mike Embers and he was very understanding about changing my order.

Here's some pics and video:
Sorry about the sound quality, I took these on a sony nex3 camera with a tiny built in mono microphone. Projector was right next to the camera, it's an epson 8350.
music

movies

Full set of pictures with unboxing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theunco...7629538899466/

Massive boxes for the speakers by the.uncola, on Flickr

aluminum horn loaded dome tweeter by the.uncola, on Flickr

Tried to white balance this to show the silver of the woofers by the.uncola, on Flickr

The speaker fits! Just barely by the.uncola, on Flickr

Final placement of speakers by the.uncola, on Flickr

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
post #3356 of 4712 Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

My speakers arrived, I changed my order from the PL-89s to the shorter PL-76 towers to fit below my projector screen. I haven't tweaked them yet, so far just ran audyssey and didn't adjust the settings. I got them from acoustic sound design, spoke to Mike Embers and he was very understanding about changing my order.

Here's some pics and video:
Sorry about the sound quality, I took these on a sony nex3 camera with a tiny built in mono microphone. Projector was right next to the camera, it's an epson 8350.
music

movies

Full set of pictures with unboxing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theunco...7629538899466/

Massive boxes for the speakers by the.uncola, on Flickr

aluminum horn loaded dome tweeter by the.uncola, on Flickr

Tried to white balance this to show the silver of the woofers by the.uncola, on Flickr

The speaker fits! Just barely by the.uncola, on Flickr

Final placement of speakers by the.uncola, on Flickr

Now that is a cramped listening area!
post #3357 of 4712 Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

I noticed there's slight hissing with slight crackle, especially from the center.. I can barely hear it but when I put my ear near the center I can hear it easily.. it happens even when I turn off my source(mac mini) and my projector.. I tried switching to stereo listening mode because that disables the center channel but I could still hear it.. what should I be checking? should I re-run the speaker wire from the receiver to the speakers? it's 18 gauge thin wire that came with my htib. i have my onkyo 609 set to dynamic eq enabled, dynamic volume off, ran audyssey and raised crossovers to 80hz.. thx loudness plus on.. could it be one of these settings?
edit: i have them in a small room and audyssey mostly set the speakers like -7db etc.. would I get less hiss if I changed it to louder.. like 0db.. and then I could turn the volume knob lower with the same amount of actual loudness?

post #3358 of 4712 Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM

I tested again and in stereo or direct mode on my receiver, the center channel hiss is gone.. in stereo mode, the hiss isn't audible unless i hold my ears up to my front towers.. so it seems like it must be an issue with the center channel speaker.. I guess it's just a hissy speaker

post #3359 of 4712 Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I tested again and in stereo or direct mode on my receiver, the center channel hiss is gone.. in stereo mode, the hiss isn't audible unless i hold my ears up to my front towers.. so it seems like it must be an issue with the center channel speaker.. I guess it's just a hissy speaker

Have you tried switching the speakers around? For example, put you right front in the center and your center on the right front. If the hiss remains in the center, then it's your receiver. If the hiss moves with the speaker, then it's the speaker. Most receivers have a natural amount of hiss, but it sounds like this is excessive or at least specific to a particular channel.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #3360 of 4712 Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM

my bluejeancables 12 awg cables and banana plugs should arrive on tuesday.. will give it a try then, then try the new cables too

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page