BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3361 of 4650 Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I couldn't wait so I plugged in my right front speaker using the middle channel cable.. and it made the right speaker have the hiss and crackle! So the problem definitely isn't with my center channel speaker it's something else.. I guess either the receiver or the speaker wire I'm using.. I'll try changing the speaker db to 0 in the receiver settings.. and then on tuesday when my bluejeans speaker wire arrives I'll see if replacing the speaker wires fixes it.. if none of that helps.. does it mean I have a bad receiver? would onkyo replace or fix it for this type of problem?

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 4650 Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post

I couldn't wait so I plugged in my right front speaker using the middle channel cable.. and it made the right speaker have the hiss and crackle! So the problem definitely isn't with my center channel speaker it's something else.. I guess either the receiver or the speaker wire I'm using.. I'll try changing the speaker db to 0 in the receiver settings.. and then on tuesday when my bluejeans speaker wire arrives I'll see if replacing the speaker wires fixes it.. if none of that helps.. does it mean I have a bad receiver? would onkyo replace or fix it for this type of problem?

I had static in my onkyo when running certain dsps. It was actually fixed when I reran audyssey. No idea why, but it worked.
post #3363 of 4650 Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 AM

thanks Mike I'll give that a try, couldn't hurt

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
post #3364 of 4650 Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This is the distortion/noise of your receiver. This can be spec'd as SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) or THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise).
post #3365 of 4650 Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 AM

Liked: 35
I don't think so lilmike2069. He's only hearing this on the center channel. I would think if this was normal for the receiver, he'd be hearing the same noise on all channels.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #3366 of 4650 Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Is the cable compromised? Did you try plugging the right channel cables into the center channel jacks on the receiver?
post #3367 of 4650 Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Yes I plugged the right channel speaker wire into the center speaker and played music and the hissing was gone.
I also replaced all my htib 18 awg cables with bluejeanscable 12 awg and their gold plated banana plugs last night.. didn't help.
Called onkyo today, they asked for the serial number and they said it's part of a recall for this problem and also potentially shutting itself down. THey are sending me a prepaid shipping label and box. I guess that answers that question hehe. Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot the issue. Figuring out how to strip the speaker wire and use compression banana slugs was quite an adventure.. my fingertip has 100 copper stranded cable stab wounds in it now

post #3368 of 4650 Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked: 18
I'm looking to upgrade my 15 year old paradigm system. I was looking closely at Klipsch until I saw the BIC line.

Potential system:
PL-88
PL-28
PL-66 or HT-64
HSU Sub (VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4)

A couple of questions.

How does the PL-89 compare to the RF-82II? Anyone done direct comparisons?

Anyone use the PL-66 with two seating rows? I currently have dipoles between my rows and don't like it. Was thinking of going with monopoles. My concern with the PL-66 is it looks like the tweeter is angled forward, so would miss the rear row.

Where to buy HT-64? Anyone know where you can get these? Per above, these are my monopole alternative to the PL-66.

Thanks for input
post #3369 of 4650 Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I don't think so lilmike2069. He's only hearing this on the center channel. I would think if this was normal for the receiver, he'd be hearing the same noise on all channels.

Doesn't sound like it to me...

Quote:

I noticed there's slight hissing with slight crackle, especially from the center.. I can barely hear it but when I put my ear near the center I can hear it easily.. it happens even when I turn off my source(mac mini) and my projector.. I tried switching to stereo listening mode because that disables the center channel but I could still hear it.. what should I be checking? should I re-run the speaker wire from the receiver to the speakers? it's 18 gauge thin wire that came with my htib. i have my onkyo 609 set to dynamic eq enabled, dynamic volume off, ran audyssey and raised crossovers to 80hz.. thx loudness plus on.. could it be one of these settings?

Quote:

post #3370 of 4650 Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

I'm looking to upgrade my 15 year old paradigm system. I was looking closely at Klipsch until I saw the BIC line.

Potential system:
PL-88
PL-28
PL-66 or HT-64
HSU Sub (VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4)

A couple of questions.

How does the PL-89 compare to the RF-82II? Anyone done direct comparisons?

Anyone use the PL-66 with two seating rows? I currently have dipoles between my rows and don't like it. Was thinking of going with monopoles. My concern with the PL-66 is it looks like the tweeter is angled forward, so would miss the rear row.

Where to buy HT-64? Anyone know where you can get these? Per above, these are my monopole alternative to the PL-66.

Thanks for input

I have 2 PL-89s, 1 PL-28, 4 PL-66s and I'm very pleased with mine. I have my side surrounds with the tweeter angled toward the back of the room. I have the rear surrounds with the tweeter angled toward the side wall so it bounces off to give the reflection (I did this cuz of a huge computer desk that we have on our rear wall). Everthing sounds great, ambient sounds are just there in the surround field but discrete placed sounds are easy to pin point where they are. Look at acousticsounddesign.com for the complete Acoustech Line they offer great prices and a 15% discount if you say you are from AVS Forum.

I also have dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses and am very pleased with them in my 23' X 11' X 7.5' room.

Shawn
post #3371 of 4650 Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 AM

I have been running an H100, PL-26, HT-64 fronts and PL-66 surrounds for a couple of years now. How much of a difference will I see replacing my HT-64's with the PL-76's, or just replacing my whole front stage with the PL-89 and PL-28?
post #3372 of 4650 Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Ok so I posted a thread in speakers, if anyone wants to check that out as well. Basically I am a college student, with a pretty tight budget, but I'm looking to start building a decent system instead of buying an Onkyo 7409 HTiB (yay for me!). I'm looking to spend about $500, and I really don't want to go much above that for now. In about 2 years, I'll be looking to expand whatever I get now to a complete 5.1 system.

I think I have decided on the Denon 1612, as it is very highly rated on AVS and I can get a band new one for $200. It doesn't have the networking features that are REALLY nice on the Onkyo 609, but I have to sacrifice somewhere. That leaves me $300 to buy whatever I can now, and then I'll have to upgrade later.

Would it be better to buy 2 of the BIC FH-6T towers @ $155 each, or 3 FH6-LCR @ $111 each or even something else like 2 DV64 towers @ ~$120 each? (I know this is a BIC thread but someone mentioned Polk Monitor 40s or 60s also OR the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350 are available for $240 TODAY ONLY) I'll be in a pretty large pace this year (~400 sq ft) so buying 2 bookshelves and the F12 sub is not a very good option is it? I'd thing that the F12 really just doesn't stand a chance in such a big space. I will however be moving into a smaller (maybe ~200sq ft) space within 2 years, so maybe that isn't such a bad idea to get bookshelves and the F12.

Sorry for ranting; I have so many options flying through my head. Please don't be shy and post any opinions that you might have! Also, if you have any other input regarding the AVR, please let me know!

By the way, here is a link to the other thread: LINK
post #3373 of 4650 Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1450 View Post

Ok so I posted a thread in speakers, if anyone wants to check that out as well. Basically I am a college student, with a pretty tight budget, but I'm looking to start building a decent system instead of buying an Onkyo 7409 HTiB (yay for me!). I'm looking to spend about $500, and I really don't want to go much above that for now. In about 2 years, I'll be looking to expand whatever I get now to a complete 5.1 system.

I think I have decided on the Denon 1612, as it is very highly rated on AVS and I can get a band new one for $200. It doesn't have the networking features that are REALLY nice on the Onkyo 609, but I have to sacrifice somewhere. That leaves me $300 to buy whatever I can now, and then I'll have to upgrade later.

Would it be better to buy 2 of the BIC FH-6T towers @ $155 each, or 3 FH6-LCR @ $111 each or even something else like 2 DV64 towers @ ~$120 each? (I know this is a BIC thread but someone mentioned Polk Monitor 40s or 60s also OR the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350 are available for $240 TODAY ONLY) I'll be in a pretty large pace this year (~400 sq ft) so buying 2 bookshelves and the F12 sub is not a very good option is it? I'd thing that the F12 really just doesn't stand a chance in such a big space. I will however be moving into a smaller (maybe ~200sq ft) space within 2 years, so maybe that isn't such a bad idea to get bookshelves and the F12.

Sorry for ranting; I have so many options flying through my head. Please don't be shy and post any opinions that you might have! Also, if you have any other input regarding the AVR, please let me know!

By the way, here is a link to the other thread: LINK

I would but the receiver and a pair of PL76's. Then as later as money comes available upgrade the center then rears. It is better to have great stereo sound than to have barely passable 5.1.
post #3374 of 4650 Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I would but the receiver and a pair of PL76's. Then as later as money comes available upgrade the center then rears. It is better to have great stereo sound than to have barely passable 5.1.

The PL76 are way out of my price range

I think I've decided that I will buy 2 or 3 of the FH6-LCRs and then build from there.

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy 2, and a sub to start with or 3 and no sub and work my way to 3.1 after some time? I'll be listening to music and watching movies so I think 2.1 sounds like the best choice for now. I just need to find a cheap sub to hold me over until I am willing to spend some more $$

Or I could buy 2, and then maybe a better AVR than the 1612? I really want networking and Audyssey MultiEQ!
post #3375 of 4650 Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
IMO if you are running bookshelf sized speakers then a sub is a must, and if you are not going to run a sub than floorstanding towers are a must.

Shawn
post #3376 of 4650 Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1450 View Post

The PL76 are way out of my price range

I think I've decided that I will buy 2 or 3 of the FH6-LCRs and then build from there.

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy 2, and a sub to start with or 3 and no sub and work my way to 3.1 after some time? I'll be listening to music and watching movies so I think 2.1 sounds like the best choice for now. I just need to find a cheap sub to hold me over until I am willing to spend some more $$

Or I could buy 2, and then maybe a better AVR than the 1612? I really want networking and Audyssey MultiEQ!

If you can scrounge up another 75$ you could use the "Make Best Offer" and get a pair for $375 with shipping included.

That way it would run you only $575 total. I know, that extra $75 can sometimes seems like thousands of dollars when you are on a budget.

You could also get the FH-6T which is pretty comparable to the PL-76's and you can use Best Offer to get two of those for $300

Here is the link to them http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1767&sc=32

I still stand by the opinion that you will be best off getting 2 floor standing and upgrading as money allows vs getting just "OK" front and sub/5.1
post #3377 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In the next couple months I will finally upgrade several of my speakers. Currently I'm running Radiient Calypso 5.0 speakers, along with BIC Acoustic HT-63 as the rear surrounds and a H100 sub. I'm thinking to replace all the Calypso with Acoustech. My center channel will be the PL-26, due to space restrictions on my entertainment stand. Most likely I will be picking up a PL200 as well for 7.2. PL-66's will replace the side speakers. As for the towers, I'm leaning toward the PL-76's as opposed to the PL-89's, mainly because I don't think I will need such large drivers in the towers with two separate subwoofers. Opinions on the tower choice?

post #3378 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

In the next couple months I will finally upgrade several of my speakers. Currently I'm running Radiient Calypso 5.0 speakers, along with BIC Acoustic HT-63 as the rear surrounds and a H100 sub. I'm thinking to replace all the Calypso with Acoustech. My center channel will be the PL-26, due to space restrictions on my entertainment stand. Most likely I will be picking up a PL200 as well for 7.2. PL-66's will replace the side speakers. As for the towers, I'm leaning toward the PL-76's as opposed to the PL-89's, mainly because I don't think I will need such large drivers in the towers with two separate subwoofers. Opinions on the tower choice?

At the risk of being slammed for my response which is not a direct answer to your question, may I provide a bit of perspective from my recent experience here?

I just finished upgrading from my Paradigm Monitor series 5.1 system after obtaining a five channel Nakamichi amp. After that install my speakers were begging for an upgrade.

I went with the Axiom Epic-60 system. I am wonderfully satisfied. Incredible!

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic60_500.html

Good luck with whatever you choose. HT/audio is such a great hobby!
post #3379 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that's all well and good, but those are beyond my budget. I'm settled on the Acoustech speakers.

post #3380 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
The FH-6T lineup is similar, but more budget friendly. Have you looked at those as well? I own the PL-89s and love them, but I also have never heard the 76s.
post #3381 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Well that's all well and good, but those are beyond my budget. I'm settled on the Acoustech speakers.

Understood....

I subscribed to this thread long ago given my interest in the Acoustech brand. When in LA I really tried to audition them at several dealers as well as their headquarters but had no luck.

I've always wanted to audition a set....
post #3382 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

The FH-6T lineup is similar, but more budget friendly. Have you looked at those as well? I own the PL-89s and love them, but I also have never heard the 76s.

Financially, I can afford the 89's over the 76's, I'm just wondering if it is worth spending the extra cash since I'm planning on running two subs

post #3383 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Financially, I can afford the 89's over the 76's, I'm just wondering if it is worth spending the extra cash since I'm planning on running two subs

Gotcha. For me, I knew going with the 89s would eliminate buyer's remorse while allowing me flexibility of placement in whatever various rooms my future may hold.
post #3384 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Gotcha. For me, I knew going with the 89s would eliminate buyer's remorse while allowing me flexibility of placement in whatever various rooms my future may hold.

Are you pleased with the midrange from the 89's? My slight concern is that 8" drivers would not handle midrange as well as 6.5" drivers, though I'm no expert

post #3385 of 4650 Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you pleased with the midrange from the 89's? My slight concern is that 8" drivers would not handle midrange as well as 6.5" drivers, though I'm no expert

I'm no audiophile, but I would agree with some other comments that state the 89s lack midrange as far as bass goes. I have mine paired with a VK-12 which helps a little, but I am sensing that something something is missing.
post #3386 of 4650 Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 AM

I called the two primary online Sellers and asked that very question. They both responded the same. It depends on room size, as well as how loud you intend to run them. Basic response is that the 89's will play louder. If its your average family room theater the 76 series would be perfect and the 89 series would be a waste of money. Im ordering the 26 & 76
post #3387 of 4650 Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info. I will play them loud enough but not LOUD. Looks like I'll go with the 76's.

Oooh, can't wait! The Radiient Calypso's were nice, especially for the $200 closeout price I paid, but it's been a long time coming for some speaker upgrading. The difference between what the Calypso side surround speaker puts out and my HT-63 rear surrounds put out is night and day, both on top and bottom end. The wife is not going to be thrilled about two subs, but better to buy everything now and let her get used to it rather than try to add another sub later.

Most likely, I'm going to go with a Onkyo 709 to replace my trusty, but outdated Denon AVR-888.

post #3388 of 4650 Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I have the 89s in the front with 2 PL 200 subs and the 76s as rear surrounds with the 66s as surrounds. You will defiantly be more than happy with the 89s if you go that way.

I posted a while back of the 89s and the 76s side by side to show the size difference.
LL
LL
LL
post #3389 of 4650 Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Liked: 11
I'm considering the 76's as well. How are they musically? My issue is the in walls I have are too bright and are missing the hard midbass kick.
post #3390 of 4650 Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM

I was told the horn loaded sysy is better for home theater as yje dialogue is very crisp and clear. Of music was your main focus a dome tweeter system would be better.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page