Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac415 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Theyre both good speakers but very different.
The tweeters are different. The Bics have a horn and will be brighter. The Infinity are a soft dome and will be warmer.
The Infinity is a 3 way so thats a plus if done properly. And in the Beta series I believe it has been.
The Bics are more sensitive so will be louder at a lower volume.
Sounds like youre buying used so it also depends on what else is in the package.
I assume you mean H100. Youre getting both subs?
Yes, I meant h100. I am buying it seperately because i found a great deal on it. I am also looking into a couple pl200s i have found for sale and plan on purchasing one as well.....

Both systems come with all wires needed but the infinitys have the receiver as a i stated.

Why do you feel they are so different? Simply because the acoutech are more efficient and bright because of the horns?

Thanks for the help!
If youre buying them locally why not go listen to them both? Atleast the towers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4647 Old 06-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I am looking to buy 4 pairs of in walls speakers and a center speaker (all in wall). I have to make my decision very soon and i'm torn between the BIC FH8-W and the Acoustech HT-8W. The first one seems to be a Horn speaker, and the 2nd isn't. Any recommendations?
Also, does BIC sell an center in-wall speakers?

post #4623 of 4647 Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 PM

bump :P

post #4624 of 4647 Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinoonm View Post
...Also, does BIC sell an center in-wall speakers?
http://bicamerica.com/index.php

Last edited by Augerhandle; 06-20-2014 at 12:11 PM.
post #4625 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
http://bicamerica.com/index.php
thank you for your help. I did look and BIC don't' sell any IN-WALL center channel speakers. So my question is, can i install either the Formula FH8-W or the Acoustech HT-8W horizontally? How about Vertically with the tweeters down and teh woofers up?
If you had to pick one, which speaker would you pick for watching Movies?
Thank you so much for helping me make my decision.

post #4626 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Acoustech series is supposed to be an improved version of the Formula series.
post #4627 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The Acoustech series is supposed to be an improved version of the Formula series.
Hey, thanks for replying.
The Inwall acoustech are NOT horn loaded, right?
I was wondering if they have that characteristic Klipsch sound to them

post #4628 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hey, thanks for replying.
The Inwall acoustech are NOT horn loaded, right?
I was wondering if they have that characteristic Klipsch sound to them
Dont know if theyre horn loaded or not. Never researched Bic in-walls. Whats the Bic website say?
post #4629 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Dont know if theyre horn loaded or not. Never researched Bic in-walls. Whats the Bic website say?
It doens't mention anything about horn loaded tweeters. Actually the tweeters are in teh center of the woofers, and above them there's a 2 1/2 inch midrange woofers.
Seems like a weird configuration to me. I wish the Formula series had tiltable tweeters.

I'm hoping if someone has heard either the Formula or the Acoustech series to chime in

post #4630 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just looked it up. The tweeter is in the middle of the midrange so the tweeter cant be horn loaded.
The regular Acoustech horn loaded tweeter sounds similar to a Klipsch tweeter but thats not what youre getting with the in walls.
post #4631 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Just looked it up. The tweeter is in the middle of the midrange so the tweeter cant be horn loaded.
The regular Acoustech horn loaded tweeter sounds similar to a Klipsch tweeter but thats not what youre getting with the in walls.
yeah
That's why i'm gravitating towards the Formula Series. Not sure if i can install those horizontally though, cos BIC dont' make an in-wall center speaker.

post #4632 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
yeah
That's why i'm gravitating towards the Formula Series. Not sure if i can install those horizontally though, cos BIC dont' make an in-wall center speaker.
You cant mount one in wall vertically for a center?
post #4633 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 PM

that's the question i'm asking

post #4634 of 4647 Old 06-21-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
that's the question i'm asking
I'm sorry i misread your comment.
I can, but that would push my tv up too high. I'm trying to keep the tv in a comfortable height so i'm not looking up all the time when watching

post #4635 of 4647 Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
yeah
I have 2 pairs of the BIC Formula FH6-W. I use them in my theater room as my Front Height and Front Width speakers. These are used with my BIC Acoustech setup. There work really well to compliment my system and I have no complaints. While I have these mounted vertically, I do have 3 pairs of BIC Muro Concept-6 (now discontinued...) in my family room 6.1 setup. The center is mounted horizontally under the TV. Both the FH6-W and Concept-6 have the same mounting setup so you can mount them veritically or horizontally - heck even diagonally if you wanted. I have the other 5 in walls mounted in my ceiling because I felt they would fit better aesthetically than having round ones. The in-walls and in-ceilings can be use interchangably. While some in-ceilings have tweaters that can be angled/pivoted, just isn't something I am so concerned with. While the tweeter is on one side and the woofer on the other, the space/distance is so minimal I don't feel that mounting the Concept-6 horiztonally has made the sound imbalanced or anything.

I would defintiely recommend the FH6-W. It's a great speaker particularly compared to the Concept-6s that I just needed something basic for my family room setup. I'll see if I can get some pics of my family room setup and post em...
post #4636 of 4647 Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post
I have 2 pairs of the BIC Formula FH6-W. I use them in my theater room as my Front Height and Front Width speakers. These are used with my BIC Acoustech setup. There work really well to compliment my system and I have no complaints. While I have these mounted vertically, I do have 3 pairs of BIC Muro Concept-6 (now discontinued...) in my family room 6.1 setup. The center is mounted horizontally under the TV. Both the FH6-W and Concept-6 have the same mounting setup so you can mount them veritically or horizontally - heck even diagonally if you wanted. I have the other 5 in walls mounted in my ceiling because I felt they would fit better aesthetically than having round ones. The in-walls and in-ceilings can be use interchangably. While some in-ceilings have tweaters that can be angled/pivoted, just isn't something I am so concerned with. While the tweeter is on one side and the woofer on the other, the space/distance is so minimal I don't feel that mounting the Concept-6 horiztonally has made the sound imbalanced or anything.

I would defintiely recommend the FH6-W. It's a great speaker particularly compared to the Concept-6s that I just needed something basic for my family room setup. I'll see if I can get some pics of my family room setup and post em...
thank you. that's very helpful. I think i'll go with the FH8-W for the whole system. It's gonna be a 9.2 system in the game room and a 5.1 in the family room. It's good to know that i can mount them horizontally. And yeah, i didn't think it'd be a big deal with the tweeter being a bit to the side relative to the prime listening spot. the distance is just very small to matter. I'm also thinking of installing the surrounds upside down to keep the tweeters as close to ear level as possible. Not sure what your thoughts about that are.
I was told that the Acoustech HT-8W are the newer/improved version compared to the FH8-W, but the acoustechs in wall seem to be out of stock everywhere. I'm guessing BIC is getting ready to release a new version, but i don't have time to wait as my installer needs those speakers in a few days.

BTW: nice theater

Last edited by zeinoonm; 06-22-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add a line
post #4637 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Hi, anyone here installed the FH8-W or the FH-6W horizontally? I called BIC America and the lady told me i cannot install it horizontally cos it'd be longer than the space in between studs. But, when i think of other brands In-wall center channel speakers they are even longer and are meant to be installed horizontally. So what gives?

post #4638 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi, anyone here installed the FH8-W or the FH-6W horizontally? I called BIC America and the lady told me i cannot install it horizontally cos it'd be longer than the space in between studs. But, when i think of other brands In-wall center channel speakers they are even longer and are meant to be installed horizontally. So what gives?
Dont know but the skeptic in me says the lady doesnt know what shes talking about. Call back later and see if you can get a second opinion.
post #4639 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Dont know but the skeptic in me says the lady doesnt know what shes talking about. Call back later and see if you can get a second opinion.
they are a small company, i'm sure i'm gonna get the same person
It'd be weird if i call again and ask the same question..
Ugh this is a bummer. I really had my mind set on the FH8-W for a complete system. Now i might have to look for a different brand for the whole system, or at least for the center speaker

post #4640 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
they are a small company, i'm sure i'm gonna get the same person
It'd be weird if i call again and ask the same question..
Ugh this is a bummer. I really had my mind set on the FH8-W for a complete system. Now i might have to look for a different brand for the whole system, or at least for the center speaker
I used to work for a call center. She may not even be a Bic employee. Did she seem knowledgeable? Call back with a different question prepared and see who answers.
post #4641 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I used to work for a call center. She may not even be a Bic employee. Did she seem knowledgeable? Call back with a different question prepared and see who answers.
I dont' think there's any way around it. If installed horizontally, the width of the speaker would be wider than the 16" stud spacing
I just called Klipsch and got the same answer about their center channel speaker. Not sure how much my installer will charge for cutting studs and reframing. My other option would be to get a standalone floor standing center channel, or to get another brand center speaker that would have a cut out dimension no more than 13.875" wide.

post #4642 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
According to the BIC website the 6 inch should fit.
Quote:
Cutout: 14 1/4"H x 7 3/4" W
There is normally 14 1/2 inches between studs.
post #4643 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
According to the BIC website the 6 inch should fit.

There is normally 14 1/2 inches between studs.
You may have saved the day
Gonna head to the home now and ask the electrician if he can work with this..

On another note, i have no experience with horn loaded tweeters. Would they sound good if they were installed horizontally?

post #4644 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You may have saved the day
Gonna head to the home now and ask the electrician if he can work with this..

On another note, i have no experience with horn loaded tweeters. Would they sound good if they were installed horizontally?
Some horns have a 90x90 disperion angle. In that case it wont matter. If its 90x60 it may make a small difference.
post #4645 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Some horns have a 90x90 disperion angle. In that case it wont matter. If its 90x60 it may make a small difference.
Good point. I'll have to call BIC again and ask. I'll update this thread.

post #4646 of 4647 Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM

So i called the BIC tech support to ask about the dispersion angle. Same lady answered. LOL. She gave me the number for the "more advanced" tech support. Called them 3 times, left 1 message. Have NOT heard from them yet.

post #4647 of 4647 Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Ok. So i promised to update this trhead.
The dispersion angle for the FH8-W is: 90 degrees vertical, and 60 horizontal. Per tech support it is ok to mount it horizontally.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page