BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #4711 of 4729 Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was considering using my H-100 sub along with the PL-200 for a dual subwoofer setup. Can anyone comment on whether this would be anything worthwhile doing? Can you mix different subs in a setup to get 5.2?

Otherwise I'll just sell my H-100 and keep the PL-200. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4729 Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys PM if interested, I am currently selling the BIC FH-65B to make for towers, I have a posting in classifieds as well, just wanted poke in here and let you guys know. Asking $180 for the pair.

Thanks!
post #4713 of 4729 Old 11-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have a 5 year old H-100 subwoofer that has really performed awesomely up until tonight. Last week, I decided to "upgrade" and ordered a SVS SB-2000 sealed sub. After hooking up the new sub, I could instantly tell I did not like it as much as the H-100 (maybe the ported housing was the difference). Anyways, I tried to mess with the settings to get it to sound "better", after all, the SVS is a $700 sub and the H-100 is a $250 sub. Nothing seemed to work so I decided to run some side by side tests and would listen to a track for 2 minutes, stop it, plug the other sub in, and test it to see which sounded better. I had both subs volume dials up to 10 and the receiver set to +0db. Anyways, the H-100 sounded incredibly better to me every time.

I was showing my wife the side by side tests to get her feedback, and about midway through this H-100 test the bass dropped out. I stopped the music but the H-100 continued to give a low rumble. Turning it off and on stops the rumble, but as soon as music is fed to it again.. it just rumbles at the same freq until I either turn the volume to 0 on the sub itself, and back up or turn it on and off. The fuse is fine. Weird, right?

My friend is pretty saddened because he was going to buy my H-100 off me for $100 and now it seems busted. Has anybody had this type of thing happen before? I've read all the time that people have problems with the fuse popping but this is different. I get a low rattle, 0 power and it stays like that until I turn the dial to 0 volume or turn it off and on.

I'll call Acoustech tomorrow but was hoping someone could give me some direction here!

Thanks

(p.s., I think I'm going to swap the SB-2000 for a PB-1000... I think I just like the ported sound/feel more).
post #4714 of 4729 Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New guy here..

I'm looking for a pair of the cloth grill covers for the BIC FH6-W in-wall speakers. These come with metal and cloth covers. I need a new set of the cloth covers. BIC doesn't carry them. If you can help, please email me. Of course, I'm willing to pay for these on top of shipping costs.

Thanks,
LA
Leon.Brown4@gmail.com
post #4715 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread has been pretty dead for the last 6 months! A few here and there. I guess most of us BIC Acoustech owners are content and happy or have moved on? Quick update, I am still loving my setup. The speakers crank pretty good and have not faded at all. I still feel for the money these speakers are one of, if not the best budget friendly speakers made that you would spend thousands to beat out and worth the hassle.

Anyways. I am not the content type. I want it louder, like concert loud, and I am thinking it might be time to upgrade the Bose rears so I got looking again and found a big surprise! The new BIC PL-980!!??

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...e=1&spkrID=136

Supposed to be released today I guess. Where it says left and right, I wonder if it will be a tower design that is like the PL-66's? This is actually how my Bose are but their tweeter is directional and thus why I did not like them for my front stage in the HT setup. It was funky sounding. Depending on how I like these 980's design, I am now thinking moving my 76's to the back, these new 980's up front, drive the 980's with their own stand alone amp for max power, add a pair of the HT-64 or PL-66 to make it 7.1. Then I will tackle the subs and go 7.2. I like how loud my system is now but I want "holy **** that is loud!" loud but still sounds good. Thats why I am thinking adding a amp for the fronts to maximise available power to the rest of the speakers. Actually it would be the same as I have now but adding 2 more speakers and more than double the power to the fronts. If I decide not to go 7.1 and stay at 5.1, as my room is not 7.1 speaker mount friendly thanks to doors and windows, then I would be delivering more power to the rest of the speakers.

My other thought to go louder was add a 4 channel front amp and add a set of PL89II's to the front sitting next to my 76's. I am thinking with the height difference in the tweeters and the different size drivers at a slight offset, that it would minimize cancelation. Drive the four front speakers off the separate amp thus supplying much more power to the rest of the speakers with my RXV-773. I see in very large high end speakers all the time where they have multiple tweeters and loads of drivers in one big cabinet so I don't see where this would be that different? You see this setup in concerts all the time. I would play with placement and angles till it was right. I even thought about maybe the best way to do it would be to flip the 76's upside down and put them on top of the 89's to make one big, tall speaker. Then I would add a second set of 76's or the PL-66's for my rear speakers if I do decide to lose the Bose.

As a side question, what do you all think of putting your surround sides in a 7.x setup in the ceiling? That may be my only option to go from a 5.x setup to a 7.x setup.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #4716 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In the description they state they are towers so these would replace your Fronts - not be rears or surrounds. And the price for a pair? - very expensive compared to the other lines (like my 7.2 Bic Setup).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4717 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hmmm

Quote:
Drivers: Two 8" active woofers, two 8" passive woofers, one enclosed 5" midrange, and one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency aluminum dome horn with neodymium magnet

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 12-15-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #4718 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
In the description they state they are towers so these would replace your Fronts - not be rears or surrounds. And the price for a pair? - very expensive compared to the other lines (like my 7.2 Bic Setup).
Yah they are higher priced for sure. Alot more to them it sounds like. I wonder if they are trying to address the complaint that you often here about there being less bass response than expected with the PL-89II's? I also like how it states it is a 3 way instead of 2 way as sometimes I wish my mids had a little more pop to them when listening to heavy medal on my 76's. I wish they would have went with a 4" or 5 1/4" instead of the 6 1/2" as I think that would hit right where the 76's have a little lack. I am being very very finicky here as they are awesome but hey, if your going to improve on something then that is where I see these speakers lack. I think the only way to go is a stand alone sub so the bass response is zero concern for me.

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #4719 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Whoops I guess my eyes played a trick on me. I guess the mid range is a 5" . That may be just the ticket. Awesome!

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #4720 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Be interesting to see what price they really sell for. You could get Klipsch RF82ii cheaper than that MSRP as well as a lot of other very nice speakers.
post #4721 of 4729 Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM

New to BIC America

Hello All, I am a new customer to the BIC America/Acoustech family! I just picked up a F12 and am in process of picking out in ceiling speakers that would round out my home theater surrounds, and two that would be upstairs in a vaulted living room mainly for music...

I would love to hear from anyone who has some of these in ceilings, and has compared them to other more expensive brands. I know I could probably read through the 4500 posts in this thread and find a lot of good things to say, but I don't have that kind of time as I work a lot and have to pull the trigger on something by Wednesday as to have them for a weekend project!

If I go BIC, I am looking at the BICHT8C and MSR8/MSR8D... so please feel free to offer any advice!
Is there any benefit to doing the dual voice coil dual tweeter configuration if I will have two of them anyway? Would it have wider dispersion upstairs trying to fill a room? There are a lot of reviews on Amazon obviously, but I would trust opinions here much more than there!

If it helps, running these with a Pioneer Elite VSX53, and downstairs, pairing with Paradigm AMS-300 inwalls for a 5.1 setup.

Thanks in advance!
post #4722 of 4729 Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post

Anyways. I am not the content type. I want it louder, like concert loud, and I am thinking it might be time to upgrade the Bose rears so I got looking again and found a big surprise! The new BIC PL-980!!??

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...e=1&spkrID=136

Supposed to be released today I guess. Where it says left and right, I wonder if it will be a tower design that is like the PL-66's?
WOW!!!

They finally added a picture of the towers, those are amazing! So much for getting the PL89's!
post #4723 of 4729 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Interesting how they advertise them as being 6 driver towers when they really only have 4 drivers. That kind of stuff bugs me.
Wonder if they are a true 3-way. If they only have 1 crossover then they're still only a 2-way regardless of how many drivers.
post #4724 of 4729 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1500 bucks a pair? Wow, I only paid 900 bucks or so for the whole 5.1 set up back in the day.
post #4725 of 4729 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Hey all, I have a thread going called "new BIC America flagship towers" where I've been talking about these new pl 980's but I figured I'd post here as well. As far as I know BIC doesn't have any show rooms where you can demo their stuff, is that true or? I live in Burbank, Ca near the Los Angeles area. Thanks!
post #4726 of 4729 Unread 12-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
1500 bucks a pair? Wow, I only paid 900 bucks or so for the whole 5.1 set up back in the day.
That's $1500 list price. The PL89s are $1000/pair list, but sell for less than half that all the time.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #4727 of 4729 Unread 12-21-2014, 04:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
Hey all, I have a thread going called "new BIC America flagship towers" where I've been talking about these new pl 980's but I figured I'd post here as well. As far as I know BIC doesn't have any show rooms where you can demo their stuff, is that true or? I live in Burbank, Ca near the Los Angeles area. Thanks!
Link? For the lazy ones lol

They look amazing, and Im sure they will sound amazing as well.
post #4728 of 4729 Unread Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Interesting how they advertise them as being 6 driver towers when they really only have 4 drivers. That kind of stuff bugs me.
Wonder if they are a true 3-way. If they only have 1 crossover then they're still only a 2-way regardless of how many drivers.
To say to only have one crossover is only part true if they have a 2 way passive crossover, If it has a three way crossover, which is possible, then you have a three way speaker. You can build a three way passive in one unit. Really, saying a radiator isn't a driver is being really technically picky. It mat not be electrically driven but it is driven by air movement and it still drives air to make sound, thus it can easily be called a driver and not be wrong.

My setup:

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #4729 of 4729 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
To say to only have one crossover is only part true if they have a 2 way passive crossover, If it has a three way crossover, which is possible, then you have a three way speaker. You can build a three way passive in one unit. Really, saying a radiator isn't a driver is being really technically picky. It mat not be electrically driven but it is driven by air movement and it still drives air to make sound, thus it can easily be called a driver and not be wrong.
Nope, it's an obvious typo. Drivers are actively DRIVEN. Passive radiators don't have a voice coil and, well... radiate passively.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page