BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 161 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 05-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I have the PL-66's for side and back surrounds and they work great.
Great, how would you describe how the music projects with the tweeter at a 45 degree angle from the woofer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
Great, how would you describe how the music projects with the tweeter at a 45 degree angle from the woofer?
What I can say is I have my two fronts angled at the center seating position - the side surrounds (PL66s) also angled so aimed at the center seating position - all other speakers are firing 'straight'.

I listen to music in either 7.2 all stereo and find the sound quite nice.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5 years later these speakers still shine !

So i bought the BIC acoustech pl series 89 and 28 back in 2010 i have used these speakers for the past 5 years and they still look like the day i bought them. They sound better than ever and have just been the most amazing set of speakers i have ever had . They handle anything I throw at them from gaming to blu ray to music ,tv you name it . the bass is as strong as ever its punchy loud and tight . the tweeters never have given me any trouble staying clear and detailed . If anything i just wanted to come back and let you guys know these are a great choice on a budget .
Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 AM

So today I joined you all as a new BIC Acoustech Owner.

I just closed on a house yesterday and I needed some speakers to fill out a 5.1 set-up for the great room. This morning I purchased the BIC PL-980's as front L/R and the PL-28II as the center (largely based on the testimonies from you). These will be matched with a new HSU VFT-3 MK5 HP sub (also just purchased) and Paradigm Studio ADP V2 as the surround. I figured I will need the size of the VTF-3 to fill my 20'x20'x18' room. The Paradigm Studios (random, I know), were left in the house, all wired up, by the previous owner. I was planning on also getting the PL-66's, but with the Paradigms already in place, it didn't seem to make much sense.

Needless to say I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of my new BIC's, and I intend to report on my experiences with them once I receive them and put them to use. I do have some questions for those who have experienced with these speakers, so any feed back or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, I was reading the previous post about the break-in period needed to get them to sound at their peak. What is the protocol for breaking in these speakers?

Second, with the sub that I have, I plan on setting the cross over at the full 80Hz, is there any reason I should go lower (I know the speakers are capable of it)? Keep in mind that part of the reason for setting it at this level is because I have an awesome sub, and I also wanted to take energy requirements away from my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR626, only 95 watts/ch).

Third, are there any things you would recommend I do to set up and condition these speakers for use?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
So today I joined you all as a new BIC Acoustech Owner.

I just closed on a house yesterday and I needed some speakers to fill out a 5.1 set-up for the great room. This morning I purchased the BIC PL-980's as front L/R and the PL-28II as the center (largely based on the testimonies from you). These will be matched with a new HSU VFT-3 MK5 HP sub (also just purchased) and Paradigm Studio ADP V2 as the surround. I figured I will need the size of the VTF-3 to fill my 20'x20'x18' room. The Paradigm Studios (random, I know), were left in the house, all wired up, by the previous owner. I was planning on also getting the PL-66's, but with the Paradigms already in place, it didn't seem to make much sense.

Needless to say I am eagerly looking forward to the arrival of my new BIC's, and I intend to report on my experiences with them once I receive them and put them to use. I do have some questions for those who have experienced with these speakers, so any feed back or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, I was reading the previous post about the break-in period needed to get them to sound at their peak. What is the protocol for breaking in these speakers?

Second, with the sub that I have, I plan on setting the cross over at the full 80Hz, is there any reason I should go lower (I know the speakers are capable of it)? Keep in mind that part of the reason for setting it at this level is because I have an awesome sub, and I also wanted to take energy requirements away from my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR626, only 95 watts/ch).

Third, are there any things you would recommend I do to set up and condition these speakers for use?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry about break-in. Just play them often (which I'm sure you will). If you want, you can play the radio through them at moderate volume while you're at work.

80 Hz is fine, and THX recommended, but if anything, you might want to go HIGHER. Those Studio ADP's might not be able to keep up down low (75 Hz - 20 kHz on axis). so you might want to experiment with 90 or 100 Hz, and reconsider getting the PL-66s (40 Hz - 20 kHz).

The ADPs also have only 87 dB sensitivity, so it will take about 185 watts to get them to reference level. The PL-66s have 96 dB sensitivity, and will reach reference at less than 25 watts (this is assuming they are 8 ft from the listening position).

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The HSU subs are great, but you may find that you still want more in that room. I started out with an 8", then a 12" JBL, eventually moving up to the Bic F12 (that was a game changer at the time. When the JBL quit working, I didn't even notice at first).

My son is rocking out with TWO Hsu VTF-15s in his 17 x 22 x 8 room, and they do the job nicely (and also did the job of ruining my F12 experience). I am currently in the pre-build stage for a DIY subwoofer (15") that should keep me happy for a while....

You too can DIY and build your own subs, and for about half the cost of Hsu subs, with equal or better performance! Check out the DIY section here on the forums. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/
MartySub FAQ

One can even buy AIY (assemble it yourself) kits:
MartySub Flatpacks are Back!!
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1.html

Good luck, and enjoy your Acoustechs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture spl 87 dB.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	759737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture  spl 96 dB.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	759745  

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 06-06-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-06-2015, 05:38 PM

Thanks for pointing that out about the sensitivity of the ADPs. I hadn't looked at it like that. I will reconsider the PL-66s.

I will also look to set the ADP speakers with a 100Hz crossover.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I wouldn't worry about break-in. Just play them often (which I'm sure you will). If you want, you can play the radio through them at moderate volume while you're at work.

80 Hz is fine, and THX recommended, but if anything, you might want to go HIGHER. Those Studio ADP's might not be able to keep up down low (75 Hz - 20 kHz on axis). so you might want to experiment with 90 or 100 Hz, and reconsider getting the PL-66s (40 Hz - 20 kHz).

The ADPs also have only 87 dB sensitivity, so it will take about 185 watts to get them to reference level. The PL-66s have 96 dB sensitivity, and will reach reference at less than 25 watts (this is assuming they are 8 ft from the listening position).

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

The HSU subs are great, but you may find that you still want more in that room. I started out with an 8", then a 12" JBL, eventually moving up to the Bic F12 (that was a game changer at the time. When the JBL quit working, I didn't even notice at first).

My son is rocking out with TWO Hsu VTF-15s in his 17 x 22 x 8 room, and they do the job nicely (and also did the job of ruining my F12 experience). I am currently in the pre-build stage for a DIY subwoofer (15") that should keep me happy for a while....

You too can DIY and build your own subs, and for about half the cost of Hsu subs, with equal or better performance! Check out the DIY section here on the forums. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/
MartySub FAQ

One can even buy AIY (assemble it yourself) kits:
MartySub Flatpacks are Back!!
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1.html

Good luck, and enjoy your Acoustechs!
I have thought some more about what you said, and decided to add the PL-66s. I really do love the sensitivity of the acoustech line and want to take advantage of that. Plus, the form factor of the ADPs, relative to their placement in the room, make the PL-66s more aesthetically pleasing with a lower profile. This lower profile is key, as the WFA has kicked in and she insists that I get the PL-66's.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
I have thought some more about what you said, and decided to add the PL-66s. I really do love the sensitivity of the acoustech line and want to take advantage of that. Plus, the form factor of the ADPs, relative to their placement in the room, make the PL-66s more aesthetically pleasing with a lower profile. This lower profile is key, as the WFA has kicked in and she insists that I get the PL-66's.

She's a keeper.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 06-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Last summer I was watching Black Lagoon and realized how difficult it was to hear the vocals (whoever did the mixing for the audio on the English dub did a terrible job imo). I bought a cheap center channel from a pawn shop...and it was awful. Tried replacing the speakers and crossover (I had a lot of parts lying around) - still awful. I caved and bought a DV-32CLR center channel and what a difference it made. Movies, music, you name it - everything sounded better. Would recommend.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 AM

So I have now had my complete BIC Acoustech 5.0 (2 PL-980s, 1 PL-28ii, and 2 PL-66s) all set up for a couple of days now. It's worth noting that I also added a HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP as the 0.1 to this system and that its running off an Onkyo 626.

All I can say is WOW, this is clearly the best set of speakers I have ever owned! Now to be truthful, I don't know that I have ever owned anything worth mentioning (some decent Cerwin Vegas in the '90s, a Panasonic box 5.1 system in the '00s). What I am comparing it to is some in wall speakers (I don't know brand or model as I never bothered to remove the cover) and a poorly place JAMO 250 sub.

What I like about this setup:
First, the clarity, I have never heard such clarity! I feel like I am listening to songs for the first time as I am able to pick up instruments that I never heard in these songs before.

Second, it's about the Jazz! Man does Jazz music sound great with this set up! My wife and I love to fill our family room (where the speakers are located) with Jazz at night as we wind down for bed, we keep it playing all night (my wife says it calms the dogs) and its on when we wake in the morning and have our first cup of coffe as we start our day. I love to hear the distinct sounds of each key of the piano like I am in the same room with the instrument. Oh, and the saxophone, man do these speakers reproduce the most authentic sounding saxophone play. No as a shout out to the VTF-3, the bass and kick drum are heard and felt.

Third, it's all about the movies! After getting the Audysse calibrated, I played Star Wars (new hope) for the family. My wife and son were blown out of the water (as was I) the front 3 delivered the goods with the sound track. I think I need to adjust the Audysse settings a little to turn up the center speaker a tad to get the dialogue to match the volume of the rest of the out put, but this is a calibration issue not an issue with the speakers. Just like with my Jazz, the soundtrack was heard for the first time (or maybe the second as it might have sounded as good when I saw the re-release of the film in the '90s). Man I love to listen to the Imperial March on this sound system (boy did Lucus get this score right or what?). I am so looking forward to revisiting the rest of my movies to hear their sound tracks for the first time.

Fourth, the sensitivity. I can't believe I am currently listening to room filling (20'x20'x18') Jazz music (Pandora Jazz Channel) at volume level 16 (-66DBms) as I write this. Plus this is being played through a 95w/ch receiver. Now for movies I raise the volume up to level 35-40, but these are still low numbers. By comparison the previous owner of this house left some Paradigm ADPs, which I used with my receiver and sub before the BICs arrived, but I had to get play the Jazz at level 28 to hear what I now hear at level 16.

What I don't like about this setup:
First, The size of the PL-980s, these things are monsters at nearly 4ft high. My wife and I were thinking our friends will be wondering if with such large speakers am I trying to compensate for other issues. These things take a while to get used to, and in my opinion need a large room with appropriate furniture to make them not look out of place.

Second, the PL-980's start off very muffled at the mid to low range, which creates a bit of sound distortion between the highs that are reproduced with the horn tweeter. That being said, I understand these speakers need a break in period to open up and I have only been playing them since early Tusday morning. Therefore, I am looking forward to the sound they produce when fully opened up. Also, when I play this is only noticeable when I play in 2.1 stereo, as the PL-28ii and PL-66s compensate in multi channel mode or in 5.1.

Finally, as a shout out to Augerhandle. Man am I glad I took your advice about getting the PL-66s to replace the Paradigms! With my somewhat modest output from my receiver, I don't know how I was going to get those Paradigm power hogs to match up with my system. Plus the fact that the PL-66s are more aesthetically pleasing to my wife makes up ground for the overly large PL-980s.

As I live with and uses this system more, I will keep you all posted on the evolution of the sound (specifically as I expect the PL-980s to open up). Also, thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread about the Acoustech products, it all went into making my decision to purchase this system which I am so very pleased with!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Make sure the 980s are set to Small in the receiver. That may help with the muffled sound.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Make sure the 980s are set to Small in the receiver. That may help with the muffled sound.
Well, they are currently set to cross over at 40 HZ as programmed by the Audysse. Should I raise this to 60 or 80 HZ to offset the muffle?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, they are currently set to cross over at 40 HZ as programmed by the Audysse. Should I raise this to 60 or 80 HZ to offset the muffle?
Worth a try. But changing the xover is not the same as making sure they're set to small.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM88 View Post
So i bought the BIC acoustech pl series 89 and 28 back in 2010 i have used these speakers for the past 5 years and they still look like the day i bought them. They sound better than ever and have just been the most amazing set of speakers i have ever had . They handle anything I throw at them from gaming to blu ray to music ,tv you name it . the bass is as strong as ever its punchy loud and tight . the tweeters never have given me any trouble staying clear and detailed . If anything i just wanted to come back and let you guys know these are a great choice on a budget .

I would like to echo DB88's comments, I have had my PL89/28/66 setup for about 4 years and they still sound fantastic. Anyone on the fence about these shouldn't worry. Great speakers at a great price.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cind3r View Post
I would like to echo DB88's comments, I have had my PL89/28/66 setup for about 4 years and they still sound fantastic. Anyone on the fence about these shouldn't worry. Great speakers at a great price.
That's great to hear, and I hope to be saying the same thing about my PL980/28ii/66 setup in 2020!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 AM

Update.

So I got these speakers in my house and playing on Tuesday. I have been listening to them for at least 16 hours per day (I work from home and play them through the night, my wife is convinced the dogs need to listen to Jazz or classical all night long). Mostly music, but some movie and TV.

I have played around with just about every setting imaginable. I am not sure I am done playing with the settings as I am still trying to workout the best volume per speaker, and I think what works for music isn't what works for movies.

My conclusion is that these speakers are awesome and just keep getting better! First off, the PL-980s have lost the muffled sound. What I mean by that is when I first got them and switched between multichannel stero (5.1) to stero (2.1) the volume was significantly reduced and the sound came across as more muffled in the low-mid to low range. Well after playing them this week, that muffled sound is gone. In addition to playing them, I also altered the crossover frequency for the 980s. When I originally ran the Audysse it set the cross over frequency for the 980s at 40 Hz (as compared to 70 and 80 for center PL-28ii and PL-66s). Now as the week progressed I kept it at that setting and slowly heard the muffled sound being reduced. However, I got to thinking, I have such a nice sub, why not let it do its job. So last night I changed the crossover on the 980s to 80hz. That did it! That removed the last bit of muffled sound and greatly reduced the volume drop that I heard from switching from 5.1 to 2.1.

Now I have a system that can fill my 20'x20'x18' space with full range of sound and excellent tonal qualities at all Hz. I tell you it's like my wife and I have our very own Jazz Band playing 24-7 in our family room. The music both sounds and feels like we are at some jazz club.

I highly recommend this system BIC 5.0 (PL-980s/PL-28ii/PL-66s) plus a HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP to anyone who needs to fill a big room with quality sound!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Update.

So I got these speakers in my house and playing on Tuesday. I have been listening to them for at least 16 hours per day (I work from home and play them through the night, my wife is convinced the dogs need to listen to Jazz or classical all night long). Mostly music, but some movie and TV.

I have played around with just about every setting imaginable. I am not sure I am done playing with the settings as I am still trying to workout the best volume per speaker, and I think what works for music isn't what works for movies.

My conclusion is that these speakers are awesome and just keep getting better! First off, the PL-980s have lost the muffled sound. What I mean by that is when I first got them and switched between multichannel stero (5.1) to stero (2.1) the volume was significantly reduced and the sound came across as more muffled in the low-mid to low range. Well after playing them this week, that muffled sound is gone. In addition to playing them, I also altered the crossover frequency for the 980s. When I originally ran the Audysse it set the cross over frequency for the 980s at 40 Hz (as compared to 70 and 80 for center PL-28ii and PL-66s). Now as the week progressed I kept it at that setting and slowly heard the muffled sound being reduced. However, I got to thinking, I have such a nice sub, why not let it do its job. So last night I changed the crossover on the 980s to 80hz. That did it! That removed the last bit of muffled sound and greatly reduced the volume drop that I heard from switching from 5.1 to 2.1.

Now I have a system that can fill my 20'x20'x18' space with full range of sound and excellent tonal qualities at all Hz. I tell you it's like my wife and I have our very own Jazz Band playing 24-7 in our family room. The music both sounds and feels like we are at some jazz club.

I highly recommend this system BIC 5.0 (PL-980s/PL-28ii/PL-66s) plus a HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP to anyone who needs to fill a big room with quality sound!
Then they must be set to small. Otherwise changing the xover wouldn't have made much difference.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Then they must be set to small. Otherwise changing the xover wouldn't have made much difference.
Oh yeah, I never responded to your comment on this. In the Onkyo system you set the speakers to either full or assign them a crossover frequency (small). So by default if you have a crossover frequency assigned to the front speakers, they are set to small.

That being said, you were spot on in your recommendation. After all, when the crossover frequency is set so low at 40hz, the 980s were essentially operating as full and not small. In fact changing to 80hz crossover (small) did in fact eliminate the remaining muffled sound.

Last edited by DE Theater Room; 06-20-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
After all, when the crossover frequency is set so low at 40hz, the 980s were essentially operating as full and not small. In fact changing to 80hz crossover (small) did in fact eliminate the remaining muffled sound.
Exactly. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Glad you got it sorted out.
Yeah, and I wouldn't of come to it so soon without your recommendation. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, and I wouldn't of come to it so soon without your recommendation. Thanks!
Very welcome.
Old Today, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After 10+ years of using a JBL northridge setup, I finally got rid of it and replaced it with Bic Acoustechs.

I absolutely love them. I just wish the PL89iis produced bass. But thats what the two SVS subs are for.

My setup:
TV: Samsung 65" 4K UHD HU7250 Series Curved
Mains: BIC Acoustech PL89II
Center: BIC Acoustech PL28II
Surrounds: BIC Acoustech PL66
Sub: SVS PB12
Sub: SVS PB2000
Reciever: Denon AVR1913

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colticus View Post
After 10+ years of using a JBL northridge setup, I finally got rid of it and replaced it with Bic Acoustechs.

I absolutely love them. I just wish the PL89iis produced bass. But thats what the two SVS subs are for.

My setup:
TV: Samsung 65" 4K UHD HU7250 Series Curved
Mains: BIC Acoustech PL89II
Center: BIC Acoustech PL28II
Surrounds: BIC Acoustech PL66
Sub: SVS PB12
Sub: SVS PB2000
Reciever: Denon AVR1913

Nice setup! How long have you had your BICs? Also, how does the sound compare to your last setup?

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV
Old Today, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice setup! How long have you had your BICs? Also, how does the sound compare to your last setup?
I have had the Bics for a little over a month now.

The Bics sound so much better than the JBLs that I had. While watching movies and playing video games, I am hearing detail in the sounds that I was missing with the old speakers.
While the JBL mains (ND310s) had a ton of bass, the upper frequencies where way too soft and sounded muddy. No matter how audyssey or I adjusted it.
The only negative, like I said before, is the bass output of the Bics. There is none. Im not too sure if even a newer more powerful receiver would even help. But I knew that before purchasing. Bass is better off coming from a good dedicated sub...... or two.
I didn't realize the pic was so dark. Its bright on my phone, so here is a better pic showing the whole room, before I purchased the 2nd SVS:

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats

Last edited by Colticus; Today at 01:01 PM.
Old Today, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colticus View Post
I have had the Bics for a little over a month now.

The Bics sound so much better than the JBLs that I had. While watching movies and playing video games, I am hearing detail in the sounds that I was missing with the old speakers.
While the JBL mains (ND310s) had a ton of bass, the upper frequencies where way too soft and sounded muddy. No matter how audyssey or I adjusted it.
The only negative, like I said before, is the bass output of the Bics. There is none. Im not too sure if even a newer more powerful receiver would even help. But I knew that before purchasing. Bass is better off coming from a good dedicated sub...... or two.
I didn't realize the pic was so dark. Its bright on my phone, so here is a better pic showing the whole room, before I purchased the 2nd SVS:
Very impressive room! I have the PL-980s, and while they have some bass, it doesn't come close to my HSU. it's senseless to play below 80hz on these things when you have such a nice pair of Subs, no tower's bass will ever sound as nice.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV

Last edited by DE Theater Room; Today at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker