BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #4831 of 4858 Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleyphoto View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forum as you can see by my number of posts. Looking to purchase full Bic Acoustic system to accompany my Onkyo 636. PL-89's, 28 center, PL-66's for rears and PL-200 or 2 Polk PSW10's (can't really afford two PL-200's).

I'm sure this question has been answered but with so many pages I wasn't sure where to begin to search. The question, Dolby Atmos 7.2 set up in ceiling or wide THX? If I go wide I'll do in-wall or another set of 66's. If I go ceiling I'll do in-ceiling but unsure of which speakers as there are several others that compete with Bic for the money. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
If I understand your question, it's not so much a BIC speaker question, rather a 7.2 setup question. You may want to post your question on one of the atmos threads, it may give you better responses.

Once you make your decision on set up (wide or ceiling), then we can probably offer more info on the BIC speaker offering that best fits what you are trying to do.

All that being said, I think you will enjoy the BIC 5.1 package (I would go with the on PL-200 and then if you still need a second one you can save up for it). I have found the BICs, due to their high sensitivity, pair well with the Onkyo 6?6 AVR. Specifically the PL-89iis get great reviews, and I can vouch for the PL-28ii and the PL-66s as surrounds.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Two Sonos Play:1s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4858 Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A response

Rowleyphoto,

I've heard mixed reviews on the Atmos setup. I still use 7.1 and love it. The quality of audio from your PL-66's will be better than the in-ceiling speakers. So if your room allows the wall space for 4 PL-66's then that is what I would do. I originally had the 4 Pl-66's on the wall for my surrounds and it was awesome however I just moved and had to install in-ceiling speakers for my rear surround speakers and although the speakers are good (Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker) and they are what I would suggest to you if you go that route, the PL-66's are better in sound quality and depth of range.

If you decide to go with the BIC system. Let me know. I now have an extra set of PL-66 that I am willing to sell for a great price. I hate that I had to go to the in ceiling speakers but that is what my new room called for. Good luck and enjoy the process of figuring out what you want to do.

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to the forum as you can see by my number of posts. Looking to purchase full Bic Acoustic system to accompany my Onkyo 636. PL-89's, 28 center, PL-66's for rears and PL-200 or 2 Polk PSW10's (can't really afford two PL-200's).

I'm sure this question has been answered but with so many pages I wasn't sure where to begin to search. The question, Dolby Atmos 7.2 set up in ceiling or wide THX? If I go wide I'll do in-wall or another set of 66's. If I go ceiling I'll do in-ceiling but unsure of which speakers as there are several others that compete with Bic for the money. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
post #4833 of 4858 Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I have the complete BIC Acoustech larger 5.0 (89 towers and larger center channel) setup for sale. Where are you located?
post #4834 of 4858 Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I live in Arizona. Depending on the price(s) I may be interested. I usually prefer to buy speakers new for warranty and possible abuse reasons but... Which "larger center channel" are you referring to? I know I'll need at least one set of PL-66's, message me a price.
post #4835 of 4858 Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 AM

Well, I have now had my PL-980 set up for about a month and a half. I am really loving them, but I did have a question.

I have often heard that these speakers compare favorably to some of the klipsch speakers due to sensitivity and horn tweeter. As I read a lot of people on this site use the klipsch speaker as a reference for high sensitivity, horn tweeter speakers and describe them as being "bright" and "forward" and I am not sure what these mean.

Can anyone provide a better idea about what these descriptors mean, and compare and contrast the sound of some of the Klipsch line-up with the BIC Acoustech (either PL-89iis or PL-980s)?

Thanks.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Two Sonos Play:1s
post #4836 of 4858 Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Unhappy oh no, LOOSE speaker???

Just picked up my FH-6 center speaker from Walmart (ship to store), took it home and out of the box ... and WHOA, sounds like something heavy is loose inside behind the right woofer. When I tilt the speaker from side to side I can hear it sliding around inside. Haven't plugged it in yet to see if it works yet.

What do you all think it could be? The magnet? The two woofers and horn tweeter LOOK ok from the outside.

Just wondering if by any chance it's SUPPOSED to be that way, rather than being an obvious defect or damaged during shipping. Ugh, will be a pain in the butt to take this back and wait for them to ship out the replacement!

Would it be a really bad idea to try to take it apart and see if I can fix it myself?
post #4837 of 4858 Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Just picked up my FH-6 center speaker from Walmart (ship to store), took it home and out of the box ... and WHOA, sounds like something heavy is loose inside behind the right woofer. When I tilt the speaker from side to side I can hear it sliding around inside. Haven't plugged it in yet to see if it works yet.

What do you all think it could be? The magnet? The two woofers and horn tweeter LOOK ok from the outside.

Just wondering if by any chance it's SUPPOSED to be that way, rather than being an obvious defect or damaged during shipping. Ugh, will be a pain in the butt to take this back and wait for them to ship out the replacement!

Would it be a really bad idea to try to take it apart and see if I can fix it myself?

DON"T PLUG IT IN!

Return it. Taking it apart would void the warranty anyway.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #4838 of 4858 Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

^ whoops, got your message too late. I plugged it in, and as I suspected, the tweeter and the other woofer are working fine, it's just the woofer in front of the loose part (pretty sure it's the magnet) that's out.

Have to say, even with only one woofer going, dialogue is already nicer and crisper compared to what I had been using previously!
post #4839 of 4858 Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
Well, I have now had my PL-980 set up for about a month and a half. I am really loving them, but I did have a question.

I have often heard that these speakers compare favorably to some of the klipsch speakers due to sensitivity and horn tweeter. As I read a lot of people on this site use the klipsch speaker as a reference for high sensitivity, horn tweeter speakers and describe them as being "bright" and "forward" and I am not sure what these mean.

Can anyone provide a better idea about what these descriptors mean, and compare and contrast the sound of some of the Klipsch line-up with the BIC Acoustech (either PL-89iis or PL-980s)?

Thanks.
Was going to start trying to explain but it's already been done for me:

What does it mean when a speaker is "Bright"?
post #4840 of 4858 Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlnoiku View Post
Was going to start trying to explain but it's already been done for me:

What does it mean when a speaker is "Bright"?
Thanks! That gives me a good idea for what the terms mean.

Would you be able to compare the sound of Klipsch Speakers to BICs?

post #4841 of 4858 Old 08-05-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm wanting to get 5 FH6-LCR and 1 F-12 for a 5.1 set up. Are there 2 different colors for the FH6? A lot of retailers show a speaker that is kind of a grey color (see pic). I would prefer the black with gold colored cones to match the F-12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIC-America-FH6-LCR-175-W-RMS-Speaker-2-way-1-Pack-84121f50-be72-4c82-b8f5-8ec3539f0fa2_320.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	870954  
post #4842 of 4858 Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm989 View Post
I'm wanting to get 5 FH6-LCR and 1 F-12 for a 5.1 set up. Are there 2 different colors for the FH6? A lot of retailers show a speaker that is kind of a grey color (see pic). I would prefer the black with gold colored cones to match the F-12.
Don't think I've ever seen the FH6 offered in any color other than black. That's probably part of the reason that BIC is able to keep the price so incredibly low.

So, I think it would probably make a lot more sense for you to leave the grill cover on your F-12.
post #4843 of 4858 Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Don't think I've ever seen the FH6 offered in any color other than black. That's probably part of the reason that BIC is able to keep the price so incredibly low.

So, I think it would probably make a lot more sense for you to leave the grill cover on your F-12.

So the above pic is wrong is what you're saying? If all the speakers match then I would take all the grills off.
post #4844 of 4858 Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So the above pic is wrong is what you're saying? If all the speakers match then I would take all the grills off.
You could contact BIC directly to ask them about any color options, but regarding your photo I think the speakers probably look a little different under different lighting conditions. Under bright fluorescent-light, I would expect the woofers to look more silvery surrounded by gray MDF; in my room which has more indirect light and a single pale-yellowish CFC light, the woofers look just slightly gold and the MDF appears dark gray to black.
post #4845 of 4858 Old 08-06-2015, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I have the Fh-6 and the cones are a silver/grey color like theimage. The veneer of the speaker cabinet is black. As for the f-12, i think you have the older model if it comes with the old gold/orange and black woofer cone. All the new f-12 come with the silver cones from my knowledge. I think you are looking at old pic of the gold/orange and black cones. The f-12 is now almost exactly the same as the Bic Pl-200 (platinum series). My guess is it is just easier/cheaper to manufacture one design and change the trim on the cabinet than have two total different designs. I hope that helps. Check the website at bicamerica.com

Richw23's gear:
Pioneer 1021 7.1 Xbox 360 Sony PS3 Epson 8350 Elite ezframe 106" 1.1 gain screen Bic formula fh65b front L & R Polk cs10 center Fluance avbp2 side surrounds Polk tsi-100 rear surrounds Polk psw-125 subwoofer Harmony link remote ipad app
post #4846 of 4858 Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw23 View Post
I have the Fh-6 and the cones are a silver/grey color like theimage. The veneer of the speaker cabinet is black. As for the f-12, i think you have the older model if it comes with the old gold/orange and black woofer cone. All the new f-12 come with the silver cones from my knowledge. I think you are looking at old pic of the gold/orange and black cones. The f-12 is now almost exactly the same as the Bic Pl-200 (platinum series). My guess is it is just easier/cheaper to manufacture one design and change the trim on the cabinet than have two total different designs. I hope that helps. Check the website at bicamerica.com
Yes, I have been looking at bicamerica.com and the color they show is the color I want. I sent BIC an email with the pic and they said the pic looks like it was done in a grey scale format throwing off the colors and that all the speakers in the Formula line will match.

Anyways, I went ahead and purchased 5 FH6-LCR speakers and 1 F-12 sub from overstock.com. $756.00 with free shipping. Pretty good price for a great quality 5.1 system.
post #4847 of 4858 Old 08-07-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Yes, I have been looking at bicamerica.com and the color they show is the color I want. I sent BIC an email with the pic and they said the pic looks like it was done in a grey scale format throwing off the colors and that all the speakers in the Formula line will match.

Anyways, I went ahead and purchased 5 FH6-LCR speakers and 1 F-12 sub from overstock.com. $756.00 with free shipping. Pretty good price for a great quality 5.1 system.

Cancel that order and reorder here http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/b...dex.cfm?bid=46

You'll save about $75 with their standard 15% discount (total under $680 shipped).

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 08-07-2015 at 11:16 AM.
post #4848 of 4858 Old 08-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Cancel that order and reorder here

You'll save about $75 with their standard 15% discount (total under $680 shipped).
I second that! Best prices and great to work with! I love my PL-28 II that I ordered from them.
post #4849 of 4858 Old 08-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Cancel that order and reorder here http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/b...dex.cfm?bid=46

It's too late. Everything has already shipped. Oh well. I'll know next time. Thanks.
post #4850 of 4858 Old 08-10-2015, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
This is wrong.
The F12 has always had a silver cone.
The PL200 is a much better sub then the F12. They are not the same.
F12 is 475 watts peak and 150 RMS.
The PL200 is 1000 watts peak and 250 RMS.
post #4851 of 4858 Old 08-10-2015, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
This is wrong.
The F12 has always had a silver cone.
The PL200 is a much better sub then the F12. They are not the same.
F12 is 475 watts peak and 150 RMS.
The PL200 is 1000 watts peak and 250 RMS.
Hey bond, if you look/read what was being discussed you will see not once did i say they were the same. I said they are almost exactly the same (when talking about the looks of the cabinets). So please as a fellow forum member do not bash or shoot down unless you know the context of the discussion. We were only talking about looks and that is all. He wanted to know about the old style which was the pl100 acoustech, which had a different color woofer. People are too quick to call someone out, but how about you read the thread again before lashing out and calling someone out. I didnt talk about performance, just the physical design attributes. But feel free to call me out again when i am actually wrong. Relax people

Richw23's gear:
Pioneer 1021 7.1 Xbox 360 Sony PS3 Epson 8350 Elite ezframe 106" 1.1 gain screen Bic formula fh65b front L & R Polk cs10 center Fluance avbp2 side surrounds Polk tsi-100 rear surrounds Polk psw-125 subwoofer Harmony link remote ipad app

Last edited by richw23; 08-10-2015 at 04:29 AM.
post #4852 of 4858 Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Hey bond, if you look/read what was being discussed you will see not once did i say they were the same. I said they are almost exactly the same (when talking about the looks of the cabinets). So please as a fellow forum member do not bash or shoot down unless you know the context of the discussion. We were only talking about looks and that is all. He wanted to know about the old style which was the pl100 acoustech, which had a different color woofer. People are too quick to call someone out, but how about you read the thread again before lashing out and calling someone out. I didnt talk about performance, just the physical design attributes. But feel free to call me out again when i am actually wrong. Relax people
My apologies.
The F12 never had a gold/orange and black cone.
post #4853 of 4858 Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 AM

I just hope I end up with this color...

And not this color...
post #4854 of 4858 Old 08-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

^ avoid bright white fluorescent lighting in your room and you'll get the first one, no worries...
post #4855 of 4858 Old 08-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big favor to ask. I live in San Diego and was wondering if anyone can let me listen to their BIC 5.1 or 7.1 system? I am considering buying the Acoustech VK6LCR-12 system (5.1) with 2 more channels (HT-8W or FY 6-W) or the FH8-12 with the same additional 2 channels.

I am loath to spend that kind of $ without at least hearing the systems. I realize that the speakers can be returned but I would really like to hear them in person.

I will be driving from SD to Culver City tomorrow (Aug 15) morning and returning in the afternoon so maybe that might be an option?

I would really appreciate any bones thrown my way. It is supposed to be somewhat roasting tomorrow. What could be better than showing off your home theater indoors and helping a fellow enthusiast out!

My new system will be powered by a Yamaha Aventage 1040.

BTW I am also considering a HSU system and will drive to Orange County to listen to their speakers.. They aren't open weekends, which bites...

Thank you in advance.
Andrew
post #4856 of 4858 Old 08-15-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeister_sd View Post
Big favor to ask. I live in San Diego and was wondering if anyone can let me listen to their BIC 5.1 or 7.1 system? I am considering buying the Acoustech VK6LCR-12 system (5.1) with 2 more channels (HT-8W or FY 6-W) or the FH8-12 with the same additional 2 channels.

I am loath to spend that kind of $ without at least hearing the systems. I realize that the speakers can be returned but I would really like to hear them in person.

I will be driving from SD to Culver City tomorrow (Aug 15) morning and returning in the afternoon so maybe that might be an option?

I would really appreciate any bones thrown my way. It is supposed to be somewhat roasting tomorrow. What could be better than showing off your home theater indoors and helping a fellow enthusiast out!

My new system will be powered by a Yamaha Aventage 1040.

BTW I am also considering a HSU system and will drive to Orange County to listen to their speakers.. They aren't open weekends, which bites...

Thank you in advance.
Andrew
Andrew, I would be happy to have you come by this weekend and listen to my BIC Acoustechs. If you can make it across the country to Delaware.

I think you have narrowed your choice down to two fine product lines. I love my BICs with my HSU sub, but if I would have gone the bookshelf rout, I probably would have gone with the HSU package. There is something about having speakers that were designed to compliment the sub, especially by a man as smart as Dr Hsu. Good luck in your search and I hope you find someone in SoCal who will allow you to listen to the BICs.

Either way you go, I think you will be pleased with the system you end up with.

post #4857 of 4858 Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Hsu's horn loaded speakers are quite nice, just a bit pricier than BIC if I remember correctly. As the above poster said, you can't really go wrong with either.
post #4858 of 4858 Old Today, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am looking for a pair of BIC Acoustech HT-64 bookshelf speakers. I checked with BIC but they are discontinued. They recommended the FH65Bs but I would really like to complete my current setup with the HT-64s. If anyone has any info on where I could get a pair that would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker