BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #4831 of 4840 Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleyphoto View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forum as you can see by my number of posts. Looking to purchase full Bic Acoustic system to accompany my Onkyo 636. PL-89's, 28 center, PL-66's for rears and PL-200 or 2 Polk PSW10's (can't really afford two PL-200's).

I'm sure this question has been answered but with so many pages I wasn't sure where to begin to search. The question, Dolby Atmos 7.2 set up in ceiling or wide THX? If I go wide I'll do in-wall or another set of 66's. If I go ceiling I'll do in-ceiling but unsure of which speakers as there are several others that compete with Bic for the money. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
If I understand your question, it's not so much a BIC speaker question, rather a 7.2 setup question. You may want to post your question on one of the atmos threads, it may give you better responses.

Once you make your decision on set up (wide or ceiling), then we can probably offer more info on the BIC speaker offering that best fits what you are trying to do.

All that being said, I think you will enjoy the BIC 5.1 package (I would go with the on PL-200 and then if you still need a second one you can save up for it). I have found the BICs, due to their high sensitivity, pair well with the Onkyo 6?6 AVR. Specifically the PL-89iis get great reviews, and I can vouch for the PL-28ii and the PL-66s as surrounds.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Two Sonos Play:1s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4840 Old 07-20-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A response

Rowleyphoto,

I've heard mixed reviews on the Atmos setup. I still use 7.1 and love it. The quality of audio from your PL-66's will be better than the in-ceiling speakers. So if your room allows the wall space for 4 PL-66's then that is what I would do. I originally had the 4 Pl-66's on the wall for my surrounds and it was awesome however I just moved and had to install in-ceiling speakers for my rear surround speakers and although the speakers are good (Yamaha NS-IW280CWH 6.5" 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker) and they are what I would suggest to you if you go that route, the PL-66's are better in sound quality and depth of range.

If you decide to go with the BIC system. Let me know. I now have an extra set of PL-66 that I am willing to sell for a great price. I hate that I had to go to the in ceiling speakers but that is what my new room called for. Good luck and enjoy the process of figuring out what you want to do.

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to the forum as you can see by my number of posts. Looking to purchase full Bic Acoustic system to accompany my Onkyo 636. PL-89's, 28 center, PL-66's for rears and PL-200 or 2 Polk PSW10's (can't really afford two PL-200's).

I'm sure this question has been answered but with so many pages I wasn't sure where to begin to search. The question, Dolby Atmos 7.2 set up in ceiling or wide THX? If I go wide I'll do in-wall or another set of 66's. If I go ceiling I'll do in-ceiling but unsure of which speakers as there are several others that compete with Bic for the money. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
post #4833 of 4840 Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I have the complete BIC Acoustech larger 5.0 (89 towers and larger center channel) setup for sale. Where are you located?
post #4834 of 4840 Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I live in Arizona. Depending on the price(s) I may be interested. I usually prefer to buy speakers new for warranty and possible abuse reasons but... Which "larger center channel" are you referring to? I know I'll need at least one set of PL-66's, message me a price.
post #4835 of 4840 Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 AM

Well, I have now had my PL-980 set up for about a month and a half. I am really loving them, but I did have a question.

I have often heard that these speakers compare favorably to some of the klipsch speakers due to sensitivity and horn tweeter. As I read a lot of people on this site use the klipsch speaker as a reference for high sensitivity, horn tweeter speakers and describe them as being "bright" and "forward" and I am not sure what these mean.

Can anyone provide a better idea about what these descriptors mean, and compare and contrast the sound of some of the Klipsch line-up with the BIC Acoustech (either PL-89iis or PL-980s)?

Thanks.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Two Sonos Play:1s
post #4836 of 4840 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unhappy oh no, LOOSE speaker???

Just picked up my FH-6 center speaker from Walmart (ship to store), took it home and out of the box ... and WHOA, sounds like something heavy is loose inside behind the right woofer. When I tilt the speaker from side to side I can hear it sliding around inside. Haven't plugged it in yet to see if it works yet.

What do you all think it could be? The magnet? The two woofers and horn tweeter LOOK ok from the outside.

Just wondering if by any chance it's SUPPOSED to be that way, rather than being an obvious defect or damaged during shipping. Ugh, will be a pain in the butt to take this back and wait for them to ship out the replacement!

Would it be a really bad idea to try to take it apart and see if I can fix it myself?
post #4837 of 4840 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Just picked up my FH-6 center speaker from Walmart (ship to store), took it home and out of the box ... and WHOA, sounds like something heavy is loose inside behind the right woofer. When I tilt the speaker from side to side I can hear it sliding around inside. Haven't plugged it in yet to see if it works yet.

What do you all think it could be? The magnet? The two woofers and horn tweeter LOOK ok from the outside.

Just wondering if by any chance it's SUPPOSED to be that way, rather than being an obvious defect or damaged during shipping. Ugh, will be a pain in the butt to take this back and wait for them to ship out the replacement!

Would it be a really bad idea to try to take it apart and see if I can fix it myself?

DON"T PLUG IT IN!

Return it. Taking it apart would void the warranty anyway.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #4838 of 4840 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 48
^ whoops, got your message too late. I plugged it in, and as I suspected, the tweeter and the other woofer are working fine, it's just the woofer in front of the loose part (pretty sure it's the magnet) that's out.

Have to say, even with only one woofer going, dialogue is already nicer and crisper compared to what I had been using previously!
post #4839 of 4840 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
Well, I have now had my PL-980 set up for about a month and a half. I am really loving them, but I did have a question.

I have often heard that these speakers compare favorably to some of the klipsch speakers due to sensitivity and horn tweeter. As I read a lot of people on this site use the klipsch speaker as a reference for high sensitivity, horn tweeter speakers and describe them as being "bright" and "forward" and I am not sure what these mean.

Can anyone provide a better idea about what these descriptors mean, and compare and contrast the sound of some of the Klipsch line-up with the BIC Acoustech (either PL-89iis or PL-980s)?

Thanks.
Was going to start trying to explain but it's already been done for me:

What does it mean when a speaker is "Bright"?
post #4840 of 4840 Unread Today, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlnoiku View Post
Was going to start trying to explain but it's already been done for me:

What does it mean when a speaker is "Bright"?
Thanks! That gives me a good idea for what the terms mean.

Would you be able to compare the sound of Klipsch Speakers to BICs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page