BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4861 of 4869 Old 08-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Member
 
AbbyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Theater Room View Post
AbbyDaddy,

I am sorry I don't have much advice on the quality or the sound of the in-wall in-ceiling BICs, as I have never listen to them. I would not sweat over back boxes for my atmos speakers given the complication of installing them post construction. It's not like you will be using these speakers for critical music listening.

How does the rest of your system sound? Have you got the PL89iis broken in yet?
Broken in yes, installed no. I'm a little OCD when it comes to having "everything" in at once. I ran 40 straight hours of pink noise through them and the center. I wasn't sure if the subs need that as well? Today/tomorrow I am going to be running wire for the rears, center, and to the locations for where I will install the ceiling speakers when I get them, plus three boxes/plates for the rears and centers with banana post bindings. If all goes well, I can at least enjoy a movie in 5.2 till I decide on the ceiling speakers.

ON WISCONSIN!!!!
AbbyDaddy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4862 of 4869 Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To those who recently got FH-6C/LCRs across at least the front 3 channels, any impressions on your setup yet?
I've been pondering changing from current Primus P360/C351 set to something more matched and also stand mounted versus floorstanding. I am looking for better articulation for movie dialogs than what I have now, thought perhaps these horn type speakers may add that. My usage is 60/40 movies/music.
I used to own the other non horn loaded version of the centers (DV62clr) as LCR for a time, but they never really jelled in my home.

Does anyone know if the Acoustech PL-28ii centers can stand on their sides? I've been trying to find pics online to see if their sides are right angled to the fronts or if they are curved.

Last edited by christoofar; 08-29-2015 at 12:18 PM.
christoofar is online now  
post #4863 of 4869 Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
Question for all... I will be ordering the last speakers for my setup tomorrow. So far, I have four PL-89ii's for my front left/rights and rear left/rights, the PL-28ii center channel, and two of the PL-200 subs. I am planning on adding two ceiling speakers for rear height/Atmos speakers. My system will be a 5.2.2 setup. I have read some good and bad things about the HT-8C's, and way more good than bad about the HT-WC's. I noticed that BIC made FH-8W's as well. Those look more like the woofer and tweeter configuration on the towers and center channel. Has anyone had success with any of the three? Also, since they will be mounted in my living room ceiling, would you recommend back boxes for them? I have blown-in cellulose insulation, and aside from keeping them clean, was wondering if there would be any positive benefit to using the back boxes? I have seen many made for 8 inch round ceiling speakers, and the round speakers would be a much easier install, but I see that most of the pre-made back boxes out there are metal with either insulation inside or some sort of sound deadening material. Coming from being a car audio enthusiast, I cannot see how metal would do a good job, unless one were to wrap the entire outside of the enclosure with Dynamat, and use some fairly thick double-sided foam adhesive tape to rest on the ceiling dry wall between the back back box when screwed down. While it is possible, yes, to just make some with mdf, I'd rather not deal with more of a hassle since this is post-construction.

Any and all advice will be respectfully and thoughtfully reviewed. Thanks in advance!
My setup consists of a pair of FH-8W's for my front L/R, a pair of HT-8W's for my rear L/R, a pair of HT-8C's for my L/R height, a PL-28II as my center, and a PL-200.

I don't have time to go into depth tonight, so I'll come back tomorrow to give my opinion.
jimr78 is offline  
post #4864 of 4869 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Member
 
AbbyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sounds good. I look forward to your thoughts. Just thought it would be nice to somewhat match the tweeters and woofers. The H-310C's look interesting as well. Just want to get the most out of the Atmos and upmixing.
AbbyDaddy is online now  
post #4865 of 4869 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
I've been pondering changing from current Primus P360/C351 set to something more matched and also stand mounted versus floorstanding. I am looking for better articulation for movie dialogs than what I have now, thought perhaps these horn type speakers may add that. My usage is 60/40 movies/music.
I used to own the other non horn loaded version of the centers (DV62clr) as LCR for a time, but they never really jelled in my home.
I'd suggest experimenting with having a single FH-6 as your center while keeping the P360 L/R, flagrantly disregarding the conventional wisdom/mantra about the life-and-death necessity of "timbre-matching" your fronts. You would simply go back to stereo 2-channel mode (turning off the center) when listening to music, which IMO is the only time that the lack of timbre matching might become significantly noticeable.

I've been doing exactly that with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 fronts (a completely opposite type of speaker) and an FH-6 center which I use only for HT, and it pretty much gives me the best of both worlds: warm, laid back music presentation and crisp clear HT dialogue on the cheap!

You can get the FH-6 for about $108 shipped site to store from Walmart.com --- this would allow you maximum ease of returning for a refund in the unlikely case that you dislike it.
christoofar likes this.
Zorba922 is offline  
post #4866 of 4869 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I'd suggest experimenting with having a single FH-6 as your center while keeping the P360 L/R, flagrantly disregarding the conventional wisdom/mantra about the life-and-death necessity of "timbre-matching" your fronts. You would simply go back to stereo 2-channel mode (turning off the center) when listening to music, which IMO is the only time that the lack of timbre matching might become significantly noticeable.

I've been doing exactly that with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 fronts (a completely opposite type of speaker) and an FH-6 center which I use only for HT, and it pretty much gives me the best of both worlds: warm, laid back music presentation and crisp clear HT dialogue on the cheap!

You can get the FH-6 for about $108 shipped site to store from Walmart.com --- this would allow you maximum ease of returning for a refund in the unlikely case that you dislike it.
Excellent idea, actually. Especially since I could return it if not happy, or get 2 more if I am.
Zorba922 likes this.
christoofar is online now  
post #4867 of 4869 Old Today, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr78 View Post
My setup consists of a pair of FH-8W's for my front L/R, a pair of HT-8W's for my rear L/R, a pair of HT-8C's for my L/R height, a PL-28II as my center, and a PL-200.

I don't have time to go into depth tonight, so I'll come back tomorrow to give my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
Sounds good. I look forward to your thoughts. Just thought it would be nice to somewhat match the tweeters and woofers. The H-310C's look interesting as well. Just want to get the most out of the Atmos and upmixing.
All right, I have a minute now. My theater space is roughly 12' x 16', the TV situated on the 16' wall, so I sit about 10' from the screen. I drive everything through a Denon AVR-X4000. For Blu-ray, network streaming, Netlfix, and Prime streaming, I run an Oppo BDP-103.

I've been extremely pleased with the PL-28II. What an INCREDIBLE speaker. Dialogue is crystal clear at any level. If anyone is considering an amazing center channel at a bargain price, this is the ONE!

The PL-200 knocks my socks off. Deep, clean, rich, clear bass that can be turned up enough to shake the fillings out of one's teeth. I can't say enough good about this sub and I can't wait until I add a second one to my setup.

I've also been pleased with the HT-8C's. The directional tweeters really do make a difference. I have the speakers positioned about 2' wider than the front L/R speakers and in front of the viewing area by about 3 feet. They produce good sound, but since they only get fed signal when I'm watching a 7.1 source or in Mutli Channel mode, they don't get used as often.

I'm also impressed with the great response level of the HT-8W's. These seem to be very efficient speakers and excellent for surround sound effects from subtle to very loud.

My disappointment thus far lands with the FH-8W's. For as large a speaker that they are, they just aren't as efficient as the others. I just can't get the clean, clear, sound that I get from any other speakers in my setup. Even when I put my receiver on Stereo 2.1, they just don't sound great. When I run my Audyssey setup, it wants to set the crossover at 120Hz. I would think that with the 8" woofers that it would direct a little more bass to the speakers than that. I don't understand it with these speakers.

Maybe it's because all my other speakers are Acoustech vs this set of BIC. Maybe I need an external amp to push this pair? Maybe the horns need more than 10' to spread the sound. Maybe I need to pull them out and recheck everything with them. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong all together.

I'm extremely pleased with my entire setup over all and I think that there must be something I can tweak or adjust with the FH-8W's to bring them to life.

To answer your specific questions, with my experience, I would recommend the HT-8W's or the HT-8C's. I don't have any back boxes, but I know the ceiling and back wall are very well insulated and perhaps that helps.

I hope this helps. I've actually been meaning to ask here about any suggestions to help address the issues I'm having with the FH-8W's.
AbbyDaddy likes this.

Last edited by jimr78; Today at 08:24 AM.
jimr78 is offline  
post #4868 of 4869 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 19" away from my computer screen
Posts: 3,600
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr78 View Post
... I don't have any back boxes, but I know the ceiling and back wall are very well insulated and perhaps that helps.

I hope this helps. I've actually been meaning to ask here about any suggestions to help address the issues I'm having with the FH-8W's.

I would think baffle boxes would be very important, as it's the amount of rear volume (too large or too small?) that determines the low tune and efficiency of the speaker. Call BIC and describe your problem. I'm sure they can solve it.
AbbyDaddy likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_________________________________________________
 
Augerhandle is offline  
post #4869 of 4869 Old Today, 03:12 PM
Member
 
AbbyDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr78 View Post
All right, I have a minute now. My theater space is roughly 12' x 16', the TV situated on the 16' wall, so I sit about 10' from the screen. I drive everything through a Denon AVR-X4000. For Blu-ray, network streaming, Netlfix, and Prime streaming, I run an Oppo BDP-103.

I've been extremely pleased with the PL-28II. What an INCREDIBLE speaker. Dialogue is crystal clear at any level. If anyone is considering an amazing center channel at a bargain price, this is the ONE!

The PL-200 knocks my socks off. Deep, clean, rich, clear bass that can be turned up enough to shake the fillings out of one's teeth. I can't say enough good about this sub and I can't wait until I add a second one to my setup.

I've also been pleased with the HT-8C's. The directional tweeters really do make a difference. I have the speakers positioned about 2' wider than the front L/R speakers and in front of the viewing area by about 3 feet. They produce good sound, but since they only get fed signal when I'm watching a 7.1 source or in Mutli Channel mode, they don't get used as often.

I'm also impressed with the great response level of the HT-8W's. These seem to be very efficient speakers and excellent for surround sound effects from subtle to very loud.

My disappointment thus far lands with the FH-8W's. For as large a speaker that they are, they just aren't as efficient as the others. I just can't get the clean, clear, sound that I get from any other speakers in my setup. Even when I put my receiver on Stereo 2.1, they just don't sound great. When I run my Audyssey setup, it wants to set the crossover at 120Hz. I would think that with the 8" woofers that it would direct a little more bass to the speakers than that. I don't understand it with these speakers.

Maybe it's because all my other speakers are Acoustech vs this set of BIC. Maybe I need an external amp to push this pair? Maybe the horns need more than 10' to spread the sound. Maybe I need to pull them out and recheck everything with them. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong all together.

I'm extremely pleased with my entire setup over all and I think that there must be something I can tweak or adjust with the FH-8W's to bring them to life.

To answer your specific questions, with my experience, I would recommend the HT-8W's or the HT-8C's. I don't have any back boxes, but I know the ceiling and back wall are very well insulated and perhaps that helps.

I hope this helps. I've actually been meaning to ask here about any suggestions to help address the issues I'm having with the FH-8W's.
Thank you for the input. I too would suggest baffles or back boxes on those, even if you can only use 2 x 4's , etc. I know that with the HT-8C's I can get pre-fab boxes for under $30 a piece. I don't know how much you'd be looking to spend, or if anyone has used these, but these seem like they would work in any application.

http://www.dynamat.com/architectural...-home-dynabox/

ON WISCONSIN!!!!
AbbyDaddy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off