BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So my receiver finally showed up and I began running speaker wire. The banana plugs don't seem to fully seat in the BIC speakers. They are fine in the receiver.

http://imgur.com/YoBRRvd

Is this as far as they need to go?

Last edited by Stobocor; 01-15-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobocor View Post
So my receiver finally showed up and I began running speaker wire. The banana plugs don't seem to fully seat in the BIC speakers. They are fine in the receiver.

http://imgur.com/YoBRRvd

Is this as far as they need to go?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 01-15-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Great, that's the same I'm getting. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone else have the BIC vk6-lcr? I originally ordered the fh6 years ago through Mike at asd. He called me back to say they were oos and ordered me the vk6 and vk-12 instead. I was hesitant but took them. Sounds very good. Just wondering how much, if any, improvement the fh6 would be. BTW, I live in Canada so everything is bought blindly.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=7&spkrID=97

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-19-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
Anyone else have the BIC vk6-lcr? I originally ordered the fh6 years ago through Mike at asd. He called me back to say they were oos and ordered me the vk6 and vk-12 instead. I was hesitant but took them. Sounds very good. Just wondering how much, if any, improvement the fh6 would be. BTW, I live in Canada so everything is bought blindly.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=7&spkrID=97
I haven't heard the VK6, but I'm currently using the FH6. The difference in specs shows the VK6 having slightly lower sensitivity, 90dB vs 95dB (the lower that number, the more power you need to drive them), but the VK6 can handle more continuous wattage 250w vs 175w, and the VK6 has a midrange. Not sure how much louder or better/worse higher frequencies are with the horn tweeter vs the 1" tweeter of the VK6. Also, on paper, the FH6 goes down to 40Hz, the VK6 52Hz. So the FH6 could sound a tad "fuller".

I have no complaints with the FH6. Dialog is loud and clear, and I get some decent mid-bass if I set it to large. I'm going to be upgrading to the BIC Acoustech PL-28II center, though, so it matches my new PL-980 mains.

Last edited by Spewdom; 01-20-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 AM

I would love some towers but not sure I'd benefit. 50/50 movies and Xbox. Not the PL-980 but something smaller.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 AM

I watch movies and play PS4 and Xbox One all the time. Battlefield 4 with the War Tapes audio setting is ridiculous, lol.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
I would love some towers but not sure I'd benefit. 50/50 movies and Xbox. Not the PL-980 but something smaller.
If you're ok with stands, the FH-6 all around would be fine for that usage, and the savings could go towards your subwoofer budget.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you're ok with stands, the FH-6 all around would be fine for that usage, and the savings could go towards your subwoofer budget.
I'm pretty happy with the vk-12 sub. I know there's better out there but what I don't hear I can't want. My only concern with the BIC is lack of low end with the towers that I've been reading about. I know the sub covers that area for the most point so what's the real point of owning towers.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to give into a want if there's now real benefit to my system. Or am I totally wrong on this one? Sucks not have somewhere to demo.

For me this track is glue I determine if a speaker is to bright. My previous set would make my ears blead in three beginning when the crowd applauded.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-20-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the vk-12 sub. I know there's better out there but what I don't hear I can't want. My only concern with the BIC is lack of low end with the towers that I've been reading about. I know the sub covers that area for the most point so what's the real point of owning towers.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to give into a want if there's now real benefit to my system. Or am I totally wrong on this one? Sucks not have somewhere to demo.
In a word, Mid-Range.

Towers will be able to cover more mid-range audio with more authority than bookshelf speakers can accomplish. They will be able to play the Mid-Range louder so that you can feel whats there preventing your experience from being too hollow.

If you want a real life example of this go to a BestBuy that has a Magnolia experience area and listen in on one of their super decked out systems. Watch an action flick and ask to listen to some of your favorite music styles. When you are done there, if you have one nearby, visit a Bose store and listen in at their audio theater.

Even if your audio memory is low like most people you will still notice major holes in the audio. You will notice it in two main areas, the mid-range and the super low end. A reasonable part of what is missing between these two examples is what you are missing when using towers vs. bookshelf speakers. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:

For me this track is glue I determine if a speaker is to bright. My previous set would make my ears blead in three beginning when the crowd applauded.

maybe not the best example
I just cranked my receiver and played that video through my PS4 with all speakers set to small and crossover at 80Hz (even used the Extended Stereo option to also run the audio to my surrounds which are towers with horn tweeters). Wasn't too bright to me, but I listen to a lot of extreme metal.
Still, it didn't bother my ears or sound too bright. You'll have to take our different environments and receiver settings into consideration, though.

But yeah, what raistline says about towers and mids.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Great, thanks. You guys think Fh-6t @ $340 vs
Infinity p363 @ $300
Elac F5 @ $279
Sony SSCS3 @ $340

Either way I will no longer have matching LCR anymore so I would. So that would be next in the corresponding set. Powered by Onkyo 609

There's a best buy an hour away in Buffalo, NY. I'll check to see if they have any of these in stock to check.

Edit: BB only has the Sony in stock.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-20-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great, thanks. You guys think Fh-6t @ $340 vs
Infinity p363 @ $300
Elac F5 @ $279
Sony SSCS3 @ $340

Either way I will no longer have matching LCR anymore so I would. So that would be next in the corresponding set. Powered by Onkyo 609

There's a best buy an hour away in Buffalo, NY. I'll check to see if they have any of these in stock to check.

Edit: BB only has the Sony in stock.
Don't know if you already were aware of this, but you can always order the FH-6T shipped free to your nearest Wallyworld for pickup and, if you don't like them, the best no-hassle return policy around:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH-6T-...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by Zorba922; 01-20-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Don't know if you already were aware of this, but you can always order the FH-6T shipped free to your nearest Wallyworld for pickup and, if you don't like them, the best no-hassle return policy around:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH-6T-...ingMethod=p13n
Yeah I saw you mention that earlier in another thread I think, but it comes up as unable to order.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you contact Mike at AcousicSoundDesign.com, ask the cost for a pair of the FH-6T, or use the "make your best offer" option. Either way, free shipping and no tax...

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM

I'll order and report back later. Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Just a heads up about the FH-6T. They are front ported and if a decent bass note hits, it will push enough air out to make the speaker covers rattle. When I was running them as my fronts, I just left the speaker covers off.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:08 AM

How does the fh6 center do with the clarity in dark knight rises when Bane is in the plane?
Old 01-22-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
How does the fh6 center do with the clarity in dark knight rises when Bane is in the plane?
I just played the Blu-ray version and Bane's voice comes through the center channel and the fronts. Everyone else's voice is center channel only, like normal. I guess the studio did that so his voice would be easiest to understand.

So Bane's voice in that scene was clear and clean on my setup. The voice of the guy doing the questioning on the plane was easy to hear also, even being through the FH6 only.
hyperactiveme likes this.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
im also very happy with my BIC set up...I have the FT-6T's as well.

hyperactiveme likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after a kazillion hours of reading, I am leaning towards getting three of the FH6-LCR for my front stage. I was considering PL-28II but not sure the almost double price would be justified. Seems the best deal is probably AcousticSoundDesign at $119 with a bid option. I had never heard of this company until researching and seeing a few of your reference them. Everyone had good experiences with them?

What do most use as surrounds, would this be PL-66?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post
So after a kazillion hours of reading, I am leaning towards getting three of the FH6-LCR for my front stage. I was considering PL-28II but not sure the almost double price would be justified. Seems the best deal is probably AcousticSoundDesign at $119 with a bid option. I had never heard of this company until researching and seeing a few of your reference them. Everyone had good experiences with them?

Thanks in advance!
I got all of mine thru Amazon...im still loving my FH6-LCR center channel..the other day while watching a movie..the wife says why does this center channel sound better then the more expensive JBL we have downstairs, i thought these were cheaper???

pghflyer and Zorba922 like this.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how the FH6-LCRs perform as mains, but it makes a great center channel. So I'd imagine it will do well as mains. You can use the PL-66 as your surrounds if you want. Some use the FH-65B bookshelves and some even use the FH6-LCR as surrounds (I'm using the FH-6T towers as surrounds), but it all depends if you want to place your surrounds on the wall or place them on stands or shelves; and how much you want to spend. Also, the PL-66 woofers match the other Platinum BIC speakers; FH6-LCR and FH-65B are the silver Formula series. If you care about matching aesthetics if you leave speaker covers off.
pghflyer likes this.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
If you can wait a few weeks for Walmart to get the FH-6 back in stock, you can order them shipped site to store for maximum ease of return in case you don't like them, zero risk that way.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-LC...eaker/10298559

Regarding the surrounds, some people prefer a dipole/bipole (I forget which is which) and others don't. You could also simply get another pair of FH-6 for your surrounds if you want a perfect match all around (ideal if you listen to a lot of SACD or DVD-A music). Or if you want to save a little money, you could go with something like the JBL Loft 40 for your surrounds, at $60/pair shipped from newegg.com
pghflyer likes this.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you all

I quick thanks to all of you, this thread has been invaluable to me. After reading the 167 pages in this thread (as well as tons of other stuff) I opted to upgrade my center channel to the BIC FH6-LCR.

I have a rather modest home theater setup in my basement. I built it on a shoestring budget based on various threads here at AVS. I was (and still am) relatively constrained by being in rentals so not wanting to invest large sums of coin until I am in a home that I can do some levels of modification / construction.

Denon 1613
BIC FH-6 Center
Energy Take 5 classic speaker package
Polk PSW110
BenQ 1075
110’ fixed Vapex Screen
HP Mini running KODI Isengard

I had been hesitant to do anything based on the amount of threads about timber matching etc. Thus a special thanks to Zorba922 for convincing me via his posts that on a dedicated HT setup (no music) it would sound fine to just upgrade the center. The FH6-LCR is a HUGE improvement for my setup and the clarity of dialogue is comparatively fantastic. I wish I had move the move sooner. It’s now been a few weeks and I am completely sold on this brand.

Side Note:
One note is that I initially received a damaged speaker. It didn’t sound as good as I had hoped and after fiddling with it I realized that one of the bass drivers was not outputting the full range that the other one was. I removed it from the cabinet and everything looked as if it was connected fine, but it just could only hit the lower range of the driver. I know very little about speakers so I used it for 2 days (straight) to see if it would open up. When it didn’t, I returned it. Two days later when the replacement arrived, it worked perfectly right out of the box. I should never have questioned my ears and sent it back immediately. That said, I have no idea what the issue was, but I expect these things to happen and that’s why we have return policies. This was from an Amazon purchase and the return was hassle free.

QUESTION:
Now that I have tested the BIC for a few weeks and am completely content, I would like to upgrade the rest of my front soundstage. We use the HT every day for almost all of our viewing, mostly dialogue heavy movies and TV, with action films maybe making up only about 10-15% of usage. I am currently deciding between adding 2x FH-6T or another 2x FH6-LCR. I am wondering what you all would choose in this situation. The price differential is negligible based on the need to purchase stands for the FH6-LCRs. I am planning to purchase from Acoustic Sound Design.

Anyone have thoughts between the FH6-LCR and FH-6Ts for LRs?
chadsmith013 likes this.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPearl View Post
I quick thanks to all of you, this thread has been invaluable to me. After reading the 167 pages in this thread (as well as tons of other stuff) I opted to upgrade my center channel to the BIC FH6-LCR.

I have a rather modest home theater setup in my basement. I built it on a shoestring budget based on various threads here at AVS. I was (and still am) relatively constrained by being in rentals so not wanting to invest large sums of coin until I am in a home that I can do some levels of modification / construction.

Denon 1613
BIC FH-6 Center
Energy Take 5 classic speaker package
Polk PSW110
BenQ 1075
110’ fixed Vapex Screen
HP Mini running KODI Isengard

I had been hesitant to do anything based on the amount of threads about timber matching etc. Thus a special thanks to Zorba922 for convincing me via his posts that on a dedicated HT setup (no music) it would sound fine to just upgrade the center. The FH6-LCR is a HUGE improvement for my setup and the clarity of dialogue is comparatively fantastic. I wish I had move the move sooner. It’s now been a few weeks and I am completely sold on this brand.

Side Note:
One note is that I initially received a damaged speaker. It didn’t sound as good as I had hoped and after fiddling with it I realized that one of the bass drivers was not outputting the full range that the other one was. I removed it from the cabinet and everything looked as if it was connected fine, but it just could only hit the lower range of the driver. I know very little about speakers so I used it for 2 days (straight) to see if it would open up. When it didn’t, I returned it. Two days later when the replacement arrived, it worked perfectly right out of the box. I should never have questioned my ears and sent it back immediately. That said, I have no idea what the issue was, but I expect these things to happen and that’s why we have return policies. This was from an Amazon purchase and the return was hassle free.

QUESTION:
Now that I have tested the BIC for a few weeks and am completely content, I would like to upgrade the rest of my front soundstage. We use the HT every day for almost all of our viewing, mostly dialogue heavy movies and TV, with action films maybe making up only about 10-15% of usage. I am currently deciding between adding 2x FH-6T or another 2x FH6-LCR. I am wondering what you all would choose in this situation. The price differential is negligible based on the need to purchase stands for the FH6-LCRs. I am planning to purchase from Acoustic Sound Design.

Welcome to the BIC America family.

I was running the FH-6Ts as fronts and the FH6-LCR as my center from 2010 to 2015 and I was very impressed. No distortion when cranking high volumes for movies or video games, and I've had zero problems. They hit good mid-bass and midrange and you already know how great the horn tweeter is. I guess BIC America has great roll off because I've never experienced ear fatigue or thought they were too bright. I still have the FH-6Ts as my surrounds so if I get around to it I could try to run 1 FH-6T as left front and the FH6-LCR as the right front and see how they perform against each other (just out of curiosity), but I won't be getting scientific with charts so I don't how much that would do for you, lol. You can see on BIC's site what the specs of both are: FH-6T specs / FH6-LCR specs. You'll also have to ask yourself if you want floor-standing or bookshelf-style LCRs and are you going to use stands for the LCRs. If you get the FH-6Ts, I recommend keeping the speaker covers off because they are front ported and will rattle when you're cranking them for your movies.

Looking at your current sub, I'd take a look at the BIC America F12 and PL-200 subs. They both will be an improvement over your 60 watts RMS / 150 watt peak Polk. You'll also roughly get an increase of 10Hz to 13Hz lower. You can possibly get the PL-200 for $280 through Acoustic Sound Design. Used to be the lowest they'd go, but you can always ask.
chadsmith013 likes this.

Last edited by Spewdom; 02-16-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
Welcome to the BIC America family.

I was running the FH-6Ts as fronts and the FH6-LCR as my center from 2010 to 2015 and I was very impressed. No distortion when cranking high volumes for movies or video games, and I've had zero problems. They hit good mid-bass and midrange and you already know how great the horn tweeter is. I guess BIC America has great roll off because I've never experienced ear fatigue or thought they were too bright. I still have the FH-6Ts as my surrounds so if I get around to it I could try to run 1 FH-6T as left front and the FH6-LCR as the right front and see how they perform against each other (just out of curiosity), but I won't be getting scientific with charts so I don't how much that would do for you, lol. You can see on BIC's site what the specs of both are: FH-6T specs / FH6-LCR specs. You'll also have to ask yourself if you want floor-standing or bookshelf-style LCRs and are you going to use stands for the LCRs. If you get the FH-6Ts, I recommend keeping the speaker covers off because they are front ported and will rattle when you're cranking them for your movies.

Looking at your current sub, I'd take a look at the BIC America F12 and PL-200 subs. They both will be an improvement over your 60 watts RMS / 150 watt peak Polk. You'll also roughly get an increase of 10Hz to 13Hz lower. You can possibly get the PL-200 for $280 through Acoustic Sound Design. Used to be the lowest they'd go, but you can always ask.
i second using the FT-6T's as mains..mine sound great matched with the FH6 LCR center channel...crisp, loud and clear...
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
.... I am wondering what you all would choose in this situation. The price differential is negligible based on the need to purchase stands for the FH6-LCRs. I am planning to purchase from Acoustic Sound Design.

If you don't already have stands, I'd definitely go with towers. I have towers and I'll never go back. I also second the sub upgrade to the F-12 or PL-200. You might even check out the DIY subwoofer threads.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
QUESTION:
Now that I have tested the BIC for a few weeks and am completely content, I would like to upgrade the rest of my front soundstage. We use the HT every day for almost all of our viewing, mostly dialogue heavy movies and TV, with action films maybe making up only about 10-15% of usage. I am currently deciding between adding 2x FH-6T or another 2x FH6-LCR. I am wondering what you all would choose in this situation. The price differential is negligible based on the need to purchase stands for the FH6-LCRs. I am planning to purchase from Acoustic Sound Design. Anyone have thoughts between the FH6-LCR and FH-6Ts for LRs?
If you go with these stands, I think there would be a noticeable price difference between the FH6-LCR and FH-6T:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-BF24B-In...speaker+stands

And the savings would be better spent on a much better subwoofer than the PL200 or F-12. Something like this:
http://emptek.com/bs9227337361RB.php

Or like this:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/lv12r.html
chadsmith013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers
taboola here