BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #4981 of 5004 Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5004 Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So my receiver finally showed up and I began running speaker wire. The banana plugs don't seem to fully seat in the BIC speakers. They are fine in the receiver.

http://imgur.com/YoBRRvd

Is this as far as they need to go?

Last edited by Stobocor; 01-15-2016 at 07:33 PM.
post #4983 of 5004 Old 01-15-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobocor View Post
So my receiver finally showed up and I began running speaker wire. The banana plugs don't seem to fully seat in the BIC speakers. They are fine in the receiver.

http://imgur.com/YoBRRvd

Is this as far as they need to go?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 01-15-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #4984 of 5004 Old 01-15-2016, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Great, that's the same I'm getting. Thanks!
post #4985 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone else have the BIC vk6-lcr? I originally ordered the fh6 years ago through Mike at asd. He called me back to say they were oos and ordered me the vk6 and vk-12 instead. I was hesitant but took them. Sounds very good. Just wondering how much, if any, improvement the fh6 would be. BTW, I live in Canada so everything is bought blindly.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=7&spkrID=97

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-20-2016 at 12:31 AM.
post #4986 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
Anyone else have the BIC vk6-lcr? I originally ordered the fh6 years ago through Mike at asd. He called me back to say they were oos and ordered me the vk6 and vk-12 instead. I was hesitant but took them. Sounds very good. Just wondering how much, if any, improvement the fh6 would be. BTW, I live in Canada so everything is bought blindly.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=7&spkrID=97
I haven't heard the VK6, but I'm currently using the FH6. The difference in specs shows the VK6 having slightly lower sensitivity, 90dB vs 95dB (the lower that number, the more power you need to drive them), but the VK6 can handle more continuous wattage 250w vs 175w, and the VK6 has a midrange. Not sure how much louder or better/worse higher frequencies are with the horn tweeter vs the 1" tweeter of the VK6. Also, on paper, the FH6 goes down to 40Hz, the VK6 52Hz. So the FH6 could sound a tad "fuller".

I have no complaints with the FH6. Dialog is loud and clear, and I get some decent mid-bass if I set it to large. I'm going to be upgrading to the BIC Acoustech PL-28II center, though, so it matches my new PL-980 mains.

Last edited by Spewdom; 01-20-2016 at 07:16 AM.
post #4987 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 AM

I would love some towers but not sure I'd benefit. 50/50 movies and Xbox. Not the PL-980 but something smaller.
post #4988 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM

I watch movies and play PS4 and Xbox One all the time. Battlefield 4 with the War Tapes audio setting is ridiculous, lol.
post #4989 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
I would love some towers but not sure I'd benefit. 50/50 movies and Xbox. Not the PL-980 but something smaller.
If you're ok with stands, the FH-6 all around would be fine for that usage, and the savings could go towards your subwoofer budget.
post #4990 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you're ok with stands, the FH-6 all around would be fine for that usage, and the savings could go towards your subwoofer budget.
I'm pretty happy with the vk-12 sub. I know there's better out there but what I don't hear I can't want. My only concern with the BIC is lack of low end with the towers that I've been reading about. I know the sub covers that area for the most point so what's the real point of owning towers.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to give into a want if there's now real benefit to my system. Or am I totally wrong on this one? Sucks not have somewhere to demo.

For me this track is glue I determine if a speaker is to bright. My previous set would make my ears blead in three beginning when the crowd applauded.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-20-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #4991 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the vk-12 sub. I know there's better out there but what I don't hear I can't want. My only concern with the BIC is lack of low end with the towers that I've been reading about. I know the sub covers that area for the most point so what's the real point of owning towers.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to give into a want if there's now real benefit to my system. Or am I totally wrong on this one? Sucks not have somewhere to demo.
In a word, Mid-Range.

Towers will be able to cover more mid-range audio with more authority than bookshelf speakers can accomplish. They will be able to play the Mid-Range louder so that you can feel whats there preventing your experience from being too hollow.

If you want a real life example of this go to a BestBuy that has a Magnolia experience area and listen in on one of their super decked out systems. Watch an action flick and ask to listen to some of your favorite music styles. When you are done there, if you have one nearby, visit a Bose store and listen in at their audio theater.

Even if your audio memory is low like most people you will still notice major holes in the audio. You will notice it in two main areas, the mid-range and the super low end. A reasonable part of what is missing between these two examples is what you are missing when using towers vs. bookshelf speakers. Hope that helps.
post #4992 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:

For me this track is glue I determine if a speaker is to bright. My previous set would make my ears blead in three beginning when the crowd applauded.

maybe not the best example
I just cranked my receiver and played that video through my PS4 with all speakers set to small and crossover at 80Hz (even used the Extended Stereo option to also run the audio to my surrounds which are towers with horn tweeters). Wasn't too bright to me, but I listen to a lot of extreme metal.
Still, it didn't bother my ears or sound too bright. You'll have to take our different environments and receiver settings into consideration, though.

But yeah, what raistline says about towers and mids.
post #4993 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Great, thanks. You guys think Fh-6t @ $340 vs
Infinity p363 @ $300
Elac F5 @ $279
Sony SSCS3 @ $340

Either way I will no longer have matching LCR anymore so I would. So that would be next in the corresponding set. Powered by Onkyo 609

There's a best buy an hour away in Buffalo, NY. I'll check to see if they have any of these in stock to check.

Edit: BB only has the Sony in stock.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 01-20-2016 at 05:47 PM.
post #4994 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Great, thanks. You guys think Fh-6t @ $340 vs
Infinity p363 @ $300
Elac F5 @ $279
Sony SSCS3 @ $340

Either way I will no longer have matching LCR anymore so I would. So that would be next in the corresponding set. Powered by Onkyo 609

There's a best buy an hour away in Buffalo, NY. I'll check to see if they have any of these in stock to check.

Edit: BB only has the Sony in stock.
Don't know if you already were aware of this, but you can always order the FH-6T shipped free to your nearest Wallyworld for pickup and, if you don't like them, the best no-hassle return policy around:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH-6T-...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by Zorba922; 01-20-2016 at 08:56 PM.
post #4995 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Don't know if you already were aware of this, but you can always order the FH-6T shipped free to your nearest Wallyworld for pickup and, if you don't like them, the best no-hassle return policy around:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH-6T-...ingMethod=p13n
Yeah I saw you mention that earlier in another thread I think, but it comes up as unable to order.
post #4996 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Audiophile in Training

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If you contact Mike at AcousicSoundDesign.com, ask the cost for a pair of the FH-6T, or use the "make your best offer" option. Either way, free shipping and no tax...

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver
Four BIC Acoustech PL-89II Towers
BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center
Four BIC Acoustech HT-8C In-Ceilings
Two BIC Acoustech PL-200 Subs
post #4997 of 5004 Old 01-20-2016, 11:29 PM

I'll order and report back later. Thanks guys.
post #4998 of 5004 Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Just a heads up about the FH-6T. They are front ported and if a decent bass note hits, it will push enough air out to make the speaker covers rattle. When I was running them as my fronts, I just left the speaker covers off.
post #4999 of 5004 Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 AM

How does the fh6 center do with the clarity in dark knight rises when Bane is in the plane?
post #5000 of 5004 Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
How does the fh6 center do with the clarity in dark knight rises when Bane is in the plane?
I just played the Blu-ray version and Bane's voice comes through the center channel and the fronts. Everyone else's voice is center channel only, like normal. I guess the studio did that so his voice would be easiest to understand.

So Bane's voice in that scene was clear and clean on my setup. The voice of the guy doing the questioning on the plane was easy to hear also, even being through the FH6 only.
hyperactiveme likes this.
post #5001 of 5004 Old 01-22-2016, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
im also very happy with my BIC set up...I have the FT-6T's as well.

hyperactiveme likes this.
post #5002 of 5004 Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after a kazillion hours of reading, I am leaning towards getting three of the FH6-LCR for my front stage. I was considering PL-28II but not sure the almost double price would be justified. Seems the best deal is probably AcousticSoundDesign at $119 with a bid option. I had never heard of this company until researching and seeing a few of your reference them. Everyone had good experiences with them?

What do most use as surrounds, would this be PL-66?

Thanks in advance!
post #5003 of 5004 Old Today, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post
So after a kazillion hours of reading, I am leaning towards getting three of the FH6-LCR for my front stage. I was considering PL-28II but not sure the almost double price would be justified. Seems the best deal is probably AcousticSoundDesign at $119 with a bid option. I had never heard of this company until researching and seeing a few of your reference them. Everyone had good experiences with them?

Thanks in advance!
I got all of mine thru Amazon...im still loving my FH6-LCR center channel..the other day while watching a movie..the wife says why does this center channel sound better then the more expensive JBL we have downstairs, i thought these were cheaper???

pghflyer likes this.
post #5004 of 5004 Old Today, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how the FH6-LCRs perform as mains, but it makes a great center channel. So I'd imagine it will do well as mains. You can use the PL-66 as your surrounds if you want. Some use the FH-65B bookshelves and some even use the FH6-LCR as surrounds (I'm using the FH-6T towers as surrounds), but it all depends if you want to place your surrounds on the wall or place them on stands or shelves; and how much you want to spend. Also, the PL-66 woofers match the other Platinum BIC speakers; FH6-LCR and FH-65B are the silver Formula series. If you care about matching aesthetics if you leave speaker covers off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker