BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #5161 of 5179 Old 06-05-2016, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 64
My amp died and was wondering if anyone has gone from the pl200 to the svs pb1000. Was there a noticeable difference? Room is about 2600 cubic feet with 90% Movies/gaming.

I can't remember if I even noticed a difference when coming from the Bic f12 because I didn't do a direct comparison.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 06-05-2016 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5179 Old 06-05-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post
My amp died and was wondering if anyone has gone from the pl200 to the svs pb1000. Was there a noticeable difference? Room is about 2600 cubic feet with 90% Movies/gaming.

I can't remember if I even noticed a difference when coming from the Bic f12 because I didn't do a direct comparison.
When did you buy it? It may still be under warranty.
Quote:
Warranty: Extended 8 Years Parts & Labor on Driver, 5 Years on Amp & Associated Electronics.
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=86

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #5163 of 5179 Old 06-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have the same movie/game mixture, and upgraded to the SVS PB12-NSD. Night and day difference. Absolutely worth the investment.
post #5164 of 5179 Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome, thanks. I'll just get one.

BTW, it's out of warranty
post #5165 of 5179 Old 06-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Just get the HSU VTF2 MK4

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk4.html

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #5166 of 5179 Old 06-06-2016, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post
I have the same movie/game mixture, and upgraded to the SVS PB12-NSD. Night and day difference. Absolutely worth the investment.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word38 View Post
Just get the HSU VTF2 MK4

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk4.html

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Build your own. Check out the DIY sub forum.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #5167 of 5179 Old 06-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What are you all driving your 980's with? I hooked mine up to my Yamaha RXV-773 and I think it is underpowered for these big boys. They just don't have that dynamic sound that my pl76 have on the same amp. Especially at high volume. So I am thinking with going to a external amplifier and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what amplifier? Seams like I remember someone driving these with a Crown amp.
post #5168 of 5179 Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Audiophile in Training

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
What are you all driving your 980's with? I hooked mine up to my Yamaha RXV-773 and I think it is underpowered for these big boys. They just don't have that dynamic sound that my pl76 have on the same amp. Especially at high volume. So I am thinking with going to a external amplifier and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what amplifier? Seams like I remember someone driving these with a Crown amp.
I'm using an Emotiva XPA-100 (250 @ 8 ohms) on each of mine.

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
post #5169 of 5179 Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
I'm using an Emotiva XPA-100 (250 @ 8 ohms) on each of mine.
Did you find a good improvement by going with bigger power? I have been looking at an Alesis RA-500 on Amazon. 150@8ohms PC.
post #5170 of 5179 Old 06-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Audiophile in Training

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 50
To me, they sounded better/fuller. I wanted to be towards the upper portion of the RMS rating. BIC says 10-300 RMS and 750 max. I had to do a little tweaking after calibration, but I noticed a difference. Just my opinion though. I wanted to be able to run 7.2.4 and had to get external amp(s) regardless.

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
post #5171 of 5179 Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

It's gone now.

Last edited by hyperactiveme; 06-26-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #5172 of 5179 Old 06-26-2016, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hey guys,
I have been reading through this thread and I had a few questions I think yall might be able to answer and help with. My current setup is a modest one; pioneer sp-fs52 and matching center, onkyo tx-nr646 (100w/channel), bic pl-200, and polk tl2 (x4) all in a 7.1 format. My living room size is about 15'x18' and open on two ends. Now dont get me wrong, this set up does do a good job but it just doesnt have the "presence" I am wanting for HT. Anything over 55 on the volume control and things start to get muddy and it sounds like thats max volume for my speakers capabilities. I was looking at the the horn wave guide speakers like the BICs, PSA, KLIPSCH, and even the svs prime (would love to afford a full svs ultra setup) and was wondering if this would be the solution I'm looking for. Most of my listening is tv/movies and the occasional music session as well and i am still wanting to enjoy the musicality but still wanting that real movie theater feel. I know I might be asking the impossible with my budget because I am sure there are companies out there that make increadable dual purpose speakers but I was just wanting to get some of your thoughts/opinions. Thank you for your time,
Michael
post #5173 of 5179 Old 06-26-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked053 View Post
hey guys,
I have been reading through this thread and I had a few questions I think yall might be able to answer and help with. My current setup is a modest one; pioneer sp-fs52 and matching center, onkyo tx-nr646 (100w/channel), bic pl-200, and polk tl2 (x4) all in a 7.1 format. My living room size is about 15'x18' and open on two ends. Now dont get me wrong, this set up does do a good job but it just doesnt have the "presence" I am wanting for HT. Anything over 55 on the volume control and things start to get muddy and it sounds like thats max volume for my speakers capabilities. I was looking at the the horn wave guide speakers like the BICs, PSA, KLIPSCH, and even the svs prime (would love to afford a full svs ultra setup) and was wondering if this would be the solution I'm looking for. Most of my listening is tv/movies and the occasional music session as well and i am still wanting to enjoy the musicality but still wanting that real movie theater feel. I know I might be asking the impossible with my budget because I am sure there are companies out there that make increadable dual purpose speakers but I was just wanting to get some of your thoughts/opinions. Thank you for your time,
Michael
The Pioneer speakers are good for music, but for HT the center speaker generates a lot of complaints about its lack of voice clarity. So, I would suggest this upgrade path:

1. start by getting a single BIC FH-6LCR for your center.
2. if you still aren't satisfied with your front stage dynamics/detail then add a pair of FH-6LCR.
3. if you want more bass output, add a second PL200 sub or sell your current PL200 and get something in the $500-600 range from SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, etc.

You can order the FH-6 from the Walmart website shipped free to your local Wallyworld, for maximum ease of return in case you aren't satisfied with them...so it's basically a risk-free proposition.

~ HT ain't rocket science. Most just want clear dialogue out of the center (70-80% of output), boom-boom from the sub, enough detail/dynamics from the front L/R...maybe $100-300 per speaker, $30-$60 per surround. There is a vocal minority that derives great pride & pleasure from blowing far more $$$ for perhaps an extra 5-10% improvement...well, this is good for the economy. Figure out which camp you are in, and proceed accordingly. ;)
post #5174 of 5179 Old 06-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The Pioneer speakers are good for music, but for HT the center speaker generates a lot of complaints about its lack of voice clarity. So, I would suggest this upgrade path:

1. start by getting a single BIC FH-6LCR for your center.
2. if you still aren't satisfied with your front stage dynamics/detail then add a pair of FH-6LCR.
3. if you want more bass output, add a second PL200 sub or sell your current PL200 and get something in the $500-600 range from SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, etc.

You can order the FH-6 from the Walmart website shipped free to your local Wallyworld, for maximum ease of return in case you aren't satisfied with them...so it's basically a risk-free proposition.
Zorba,
thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity later on down the line if I like the BICs and want to match them would if be a better idea to go with the pl-89 front towers or match them to the fh-6t?
post #5175 of 5179 Old 06-26-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Zorba,
thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity later on down the line if I like the BICs and want to match them would if be a better idea to go with the pl-89 front towers or match them to the fh-6t?
I think the PL89 would be worthwhile if you have a really big space and sit far away (over 12feet, maybe) from the fronts, AND if you like to listen at very loud volumes. If it's in an average sized space and you're fine with average volume levels, then 3 x FH-6 should be fine for HT...I'd upgrade the subwoofer before upgrading to towers, though...the PB2000 is quite tempting at their outlet pricing:
http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub

The matching center for the PL89 is the PL28. Yet one reviewer had a surprising conclusion after trying both the FH-6LCR and the PL28 (scroll down to his last update):
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DYBWM...cm_cr_rdp_perm

~ HT ain't rocket science. Most just want clear dialogue out of the center (70-80% of output), boom-boom from the sub, enough detail/dynamics from the front L/R...maybe $100-300 per speaker, $30-$60 per surround. There is a vocal minority that derives great pride & pleasure from blowing far more $$$ for perhaps an extra 5-10% improvement...well, this is good for the economy. Figure out which camp you are in, and proceed accordingly. ;)
post #5176 of 5179 Old 06-27-2016, 05:08 AM

Yeah I have been drooling over the pb2000 for a while now and it will probibly be my next big upgrade. I for the fh-6lcr for $103 yesterday with free shipping so I am gonna take it for a spin. As for space, I sit a about 11-12 feet from the towers and i do like to play movies above reference level and have it clear which is why I was inquiring in the first place. thanks again for the time and suggestions
post #5177 of 5179 Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Update:
I got the center channel delivered yesterday and here are a few first impressions.
The box rattled when I got it and upon opening the box the left side driver's screws had basically stripped out from the cabinet. The cabinet appears to be more of a very thick compressed cardboard instead of MDF (the cost savings drawback I assume). As I cant really return it without a lot of hassle I just rotated the driver, drilled some pilot holes and reattached it to the cabinet as there didn't appear to be any other damage.
I plugged it in and pulled out the SPL meter to level match to the other speakers and adjusted the crossover in the receiver to match the bic specs. This speaker had to be turned down -7db to match the output of my pioneer sp-fs52s, holy hell I can't imagine how loud these would be set loose in the wild. Once it was all up and running I was a little unimpressed with the tonality. The tweeter is clear as a bell and will rock your face off volume wise but it didn't seem like the speaker was playing a fullness and range of frequencies that I was expecting. BUT, I have read and heard that you have to give this speaker time to break in so I will get back to y'all on this initial first impression.
All in all I have to take off a few points for build and material quality but it is clear, not screatchy, and can play at volumes that will get you kicked out of anyplace that has close neighbors effortlessly. like i said i will give the speaker time to break in and then get back with you.

Last edited by miked053; 07-01-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #5178 of 5179 Old 07-01-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Update:
I got the center channel delivered yesterday and here are a few first impressions.
The box rattled when I got it and upon opening the box the left side driver's screws had basically stripped out from the cabinet. The cabinet appears to be more of a very thick compressed cardboard instead of MDF (the cost savings drawback I assume). As I cant really return it without a lot of hassle I just rotated the driver, drilled some pilot holes and reattached it to the cabinet as there didn't appear to be any other damage.
I plugged it in and pulled out the SPL meter to level match to the other speakers and adjusted the crossover in the receiver to match the bic specs. This speaker had to be turned down -7db to match the output of my pioneer sp-fs52s, holy hell I can't imagine how loud these would be set loose in the wild. Once it was all up and running I was a little unimpressed with the tonality. The tweeter is clear as a bell and will rock your face off volume wise but it didn't seem like the speaker was playing a fullness and range of frequencies that I was expecting. BUT, I have read and heard that you have to give this speaker time to break in so I will get back to y'all on this initial first impression.
All in all I have to take off a few points for build and material quality but it is clear, not screatchy, and can play at volumes that will get you kicked out of anyplace that has close neighbors effortlessly. like i said i will give the speaker time to break in and then get back with you.
Ha, sounds like the first FH-6LCR that I received, also had a loose driver. I just ordered a second one and returned the first one at Walmart when I came to pick it up...second time, I made sure to shake the box vigorously at the pickup counter in the store, lol.

The "tonality" is indeed quite rolled off up top...the 40Hz bass extension spec is a joke, the reality is about 70-80Hz. But not really relevant if you have a good subwoofer in play. The sound did improve a good bit after I left it on for a couple days while I was away at work.

post #5179 of 5179 Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MikeD
I have the same issue and I was thinking it's the reciever upgrade I did at the same time I upgraded to the PL 89's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page