BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #5191 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am contemplating what speakers to get for my LCR. I have an AT screen, that do to its size requires I go in wall for my center channel. The original plan was to get (3) FH6-LCR's for my LCR, but ended up going bigger on the screen so things have changed. I dont have to go in-wall for left and right but I can, its completely optional.

Heres my question... Would you recommend I go FH6-LCR mounted on the wall for left and right matched with the FH8-W for center channel, or should I go FH8-W for all three? Also, most places I looked sell the FH8s as a pair so if I went with option one, would you recommend me using 2 as my center?

As far as specs read they look nearly identical. Same 116db output, same wattage, ohms, etc. But from everything ive read (especially on AVS) is that in-walls simply do not sound as good as bookshelf. Also, the FH-8 are going for about 180 a pair and the fh6 are between 100-120 a piece depending on the day and what website your looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
I am contemplating what speakers to get for my LCR. I have an AT screen, that do to its size requires I go in wall for my center channel. The original plan was to get (3) FH6-LCR's for my LCR, but ended up going bigger on the screen so things have changed. I dont have to go in-wall for left and right but I can, its completely optional.

Heres my question... Would you recommend I go FH6-LCR mounted on the wall for left and right matched with the FH8-W for center channel, or should I go FH8-W for all three? Also, most places I looked sell the FH8s as a pair so if I went with option one, would you recommend me using 2 as my center?

As far as specs read they look nearly identical. Same 116db output, same wattage, ohms, etc. But from everything ive read (especially on AVS) is that in-walls simply do not sound as good as bookshelf. Also, the FH-8 are going for about 180 a pair and the fh6 are between 100-120 a piece depending on the day and what website your looking at.
AT screens are usually chosen by people who want to put speakers behind them, so I fail to see any benefit from using in-walls behind one. The only rationale for buying in-walls is aesthetic/WAF factors or childproofing/dogproofing needs, but that's completely nullified with an AT screen.

There are only disadvantages, the two most prominent being:

1) In-walls are a lot harder to aim/angle at your listening position. Not sure if the FH8-W have swiveling drivers, even. A few inches can make a huge difference often times.

2) In-walls are a lot harder to remove/replace if you buy some and decide they aren't for you. Or if you simply decide to change out the speakers later on (upgrade-itis gets the best of us).

Reason #2 is actually the strongest argument against your picking in-walls, in this case. Not to mention the cost differential. In fact, for less than the price of a pair of the FH-8 you can actually buy a pair of the floorstanding version of the FH-6, the FH-6T:
https://www.amazon.com/America-400-W.../dp/B002ISZEV2

With an AT screen you can actually buy 3 x FH-6T which would give you what many people consider to be the ideal configuration of 3 identical front speakers in the same vertical alignment.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

Last edited by Zorba922; 08-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #5193 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
AT screens are usually chosen by people who want to put speakers behind them, so I fail to see any benefit from using in-walls behind one...there are only disadvantages, the two most prominent being:

1) In-walls are a lot harder to aim/angle at your listening position. Not sure if the FH8-W have swiveling drivers, even. A few inches can make a huge difference often times.

2) In-walls are a lot harder to remove/replace if you buy some and decide they aren't for you.

Reason #2 is actually the strongest argument against your picking in-walls, in this case. Not to mention the cost differential. In fact, for less than the price of a pair of the FH-8 you can actually buy a pair of the floorstanding version of the FH-6, the FH-6T:
https://www.amazon.com/America-400-W.../dp/B002ISZEV2

With an AT screen you can actually buy 3 x FH-6T which would give you what many people consider to be the ideal configuration of 3 identical front speakers in the same vertical alignment.
Thanks for the reply. Arent the FH-6T $160 a piece? The FH8-W are $167 a pair http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...-pair--303-446

I was given the AT screen for free and its in mint condition. Its a little bigger than I was planning but for free I couldnt say no.

As to your first point, im confused. You said "AT screens are meant for people who want to put speakers behind them, so you fail to see any benefit of putting in-walls behind them"... isnt that kind of contradictory? Thats the great benefit of having the AT screen. I am able to have a bigger screen and not have to have my center channel literally sitting on the floor or on the ceiling. I can place an in wall directly behind it, therefore getting the benefit of the sound coming right from ear level and sound like its actually coming from the screen.

It will be suspended from the wall by the use of a french cleat, so there is no way to put a full size speaker behind it.

As far as the towers go, its just not an option. I realize i wont have THE BEST audio sound but I want to do the best I can with the budget I have along with other constraints. This is going to be a room where people will be having drinks, playing pool, hanging out in the evenings if we have a get together. Or my 5 year old son might have friends over so kids could be running around a bit. Like I said this is no home theater, just a room for us to enjoy and watch some movies, football, entertain etc. My wife isnt on board with big tower speakers, and in all honesty I dont really want them that bad either. The screen wall is right next to where the door is coming down stairs so the first thing you would see when you come in is towers sitting there. Its just not what were looking for.

As to my original question, does anyone have an opinion on those 2 scenarios? I actually called BICs customer service this morning and talked to the sales rep. They informed me the FH6-LCR and FH8-W are a match (both part of the Formula line I believe?) Im just concerned about the FH8-W not being able to keep up with the FH6's, but I have no way of knowing as Ive never owned or heard any of them. Like I said before too, the FH8-W come as a pair so I could go with 2 as center channel, is that okay? Or if I were to use them as LCR how would I do it, because I would have to order two pair, obviously giving me 4.

Sorry guys Im a total newb, just needing a little advice.
post #5194 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Arent the FH-6T $160 a piece? The FH8-W are $167 a pair http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...-pair--303-446

I was given the AT screen for free and its in mint condition. Its a little bigger than I was planning but for free I couldnt say no.

As to your first point, im confused. You said "AT screens are meant for people who want to put speakers behind them, so you fail to see any benefit of putting in-walls behind them"... isnt that kind of contradictory? Thats the great benefit of having the AT screen. I am able to have a bigger screen and not have to have my center channel literally sitting on the floor or on the ceiling. I can place an in wall directly behind it, therefore getting the benefit of the sound coming right from ear level and sound like its actually coming from the screen.

It will be suspended from the wall by the use of a french cleat, so there is no way to put a full size speaker behind it.

As far as the towers go, its just not an option. I realize i wont have THE BEST audio sound but I want to do the best I can with the budget I have along with other constraints. This is going to be a room where people will be having drinks, playing pool, hanging out in the evenings if we have a get together. Or my 5 year old son might have friends over so kids could be running around a bit. Like I said this is no home theater, just a room for us to enjoy and watch some movies, football, entertain etc. My wife isnt on board with big tower speakers, and in all honesty I dont really want them that bad either. The screen wall is right next to where the door is coming down stairs so the first thing you would see when you come in is towers sitting there. Its just not what were looking for.

As to my original question, does anyone have an opinion on those 2 scenarios? I actually called BICs customer service this morning and talked to the sales rep. They informed me the FH6-LCR and FH8-W are a match (both part of the Formula line I believe?) Im just concerned about the FH8-W not being able to keep up with the FH6's, but I have no way of knowing as Ive never owned or heard any of them. Like I said before too, the FH8-W come as a pair so I could go with 2 as center channel, is that okay? Or if I were to use them as LCR how would I do it, because I would have to order two pair, obviously giving me 4.
oops, I thought you meant the FH-8 were $160 apiece not per pair. Disregard my mention of the FH-6T in that case.

Yes, you could use them as L/R fronts with an FH-6 center. I don't think there will be any problem with that---the need for "timbre matching" is grossly exaggerated anyway, and especially for someone on a low budget I'd say it's downright irrelevant. I would NOT use two FH-8 as the center, though.

The center does the vast bulk of the work in HT, so you want to go with the best center you can...the FH-6 punches way above its price range, in fact it's equal to some $300 and up centers, in my opinion.

Regarding the AT screen, most people mount them forward from the wall at least far enough to allow speakers to be placed behind them...this has the considerable additional benefit of allowing them to buy less attractive-looking speakers that sound great and cost much less than speakers with fancy pretty cabinets.

The FH-6LCR is only 6.15" deep so if you can move the screen forward just a little that would be well worth it. The most critical part of speaker positioning is, you want the tweeters to be ear level, or at least pointed at ear level.

If you use the FH-6LCR for your L/R as well, I'm sure the $40/pair cost increase over the FH-8 would be made up for by not having to pay anyone to make holes and run wiring through your walls, and you'd have perfect uniformity up front, with the dual woofers of the FH-6 giving you a bigger soundstage than the single woofer FH-8. Just get a pair of $39 speaker stands, some blue-tack, and you'll be all set.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051BF24...s.html?tp=1386

(Additional advantage of box speakers over in-walls, in addition to placement flexibility and generally better sound quality: should you ever move, you simply take the speakers with you.)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5195 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 PM

So FH8 is a bad choice for center? You must have miss read my question. I have to put the FH6-LCR as my left and right on the outisde of my screen (my speaker wire is already ran in the wall and its in stud bays on the outside of my screen. The center however, I would like to do in wall because my screen will be sitting flush against the wall. So I want to buy the f6's for LR and F8 for center (because it is in wall). The f8 is sold in pairs though, so idk what I would do with the second one if I only use one for my center...
post #5196 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So FH8 is a bad choice for center? You must have miss read my question. I have to put the FH6-LCR as my left and right on the outisde of my screen (my speaker wire is already ran in the wall and its in stud bays on the outside of my screen. The center however, I would like to do in wall because my screen will be sitting flush against the wall. So I want to buy the f6's for LR and F8 for center (because it is in wall). The f8 is sold in pairs though, so idk what I would do with the second one if I only use one for my center...
Sorry, I did misread your question entirely.

I don't know what to tell you...if you absolutely absolutely cannot move the AT screen 6" forward from the wall and use the FH-8 for the center, well it may work ok or it may be overpowered by the dual-driver FH-6 speakers on your L/R.

How far away from the screen is your main listening position? I'm thinking that with proper toe-in, you MIGHT be able to get away with just having the two FH-6 and no center at all. I'd probably try that route first (a.k.a. "phantom center") and then, only if you find it lacking, add the in-wall center...you could try the FH-8 or you could look around for a similar MTM design in-wall center speaker, such as this Polk:

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-26...words=polk+265

post #5197 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Space is absolutely my biggest concern. Im sure many of you have experienced what I have, which is when the room is completely empty with no drywall etc, it looks much bigger and it feels like there will be more than enough space. Its about 25x20 with a pool table on the back half. Furniture just showed up this week and after putting the couch as far back as possible with room to play pool (like my foot is against the couch when taking shots along the rail on that side) the back of the couch sits at about 11'4" making head position at about 10'6". With the 126" screen against the wall its already going to be HUGE. Also, like I said before, when you walk into the room your eyes will be looking directly down the wall where the screen is, so idk how itll look with the screen not being flush against the wall. I never thought about the phantom center idea although I have heard of it.

So you think the Polk would match up better as the center than the FH8?
post #5198 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you think the Polk would match up better as the center than the FH8?
Mainly because it has the same dual-woofer configuration as the FH-6 that you'll be using as L/R speakers, so it should provide more similar output levels which is important because your center does 70-80% of the HT output and the L/R only does maybe 20%...naturally you'd want the bigger speaker to be in the workhorse position, not the smaller speaker.

The sole function of the center speaker is to provide voice clarity so that you won't need to be constantly turning the volume up to hear dialogue then back down during commercials or other sound peaking scenes. The FH-6 excels at doing that, but I have no idea how the FH-8 or Polk does...

But if you'd like to experiment with the FH-8 in the center position first, why not...since the hole in the wall will be covered by the screen anyway, it shouldn't matter that much in case you decide to enlarge it to fit the bigger Polk later.

post #5199 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Furniture just showed up this week and after putting the couch as far back as possible with room to play pool (like my foot is against the couch when taking shots along the rail on that side) the back of the couch sits at about 11'4" making head position at about 10'6". With the 126" screen against the wall its already going to be HUGE.
It's possible that you might end up having to move your PJ closer to the screen to reduce the image size in order to make the 11 foot viewing distance more comfortable...in which case, this might create enough space for you to place a box center speaker IN FRONT of the screen without blocking any of the image.

So maybe it'd be safest to wait until you set up the PJ and figure out what image size will be most suitable for your viewing distance. Just because you have a 126" screen doesn't mean you HAVE to fill it up completely. Whatever makes your EYES happiest during viewing.

post #5200 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 PM

Amazon Prime can be so frustrating sometimes. Theyve had the FH6-LCR's for $99 a piece with Prime shipping for like a week and ive had them sitting in my cart but didnt pull the trigger. Just checked it and now they only have 1 left in stock. Sooooo frustrating
post #5201 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazon Prime can be so frustrating sometimes. Theyve had the FH6-LCR's for $99 a piece with Prime shipping for like a week and ive had them sitting in my cart but didnt pull the trigger. Just checked it and now they only have 1 left in stock. Sooooo frustrating
I was about to suggest ordering them from the Walmart site but they must use the same warehouse because they're also showing only 1 in stock, and the usual $100-110 price has now jumped to $176! LOL, capitalism at its finest...

Parts Express has them, but $120 shipped each.

post #5202 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
...The f8 is sold in pairs though, so idk what I would do with the second one if I only use one for my center...

You could use it as a back speaker for a 6.1 configuration... But if you do use two as centers, mount them vertically to avoid comb filtering. The halfway point between them should be equal to the L/R tweeter heights.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #5203 of 5211 Old 08-05-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
You could use it as a back speaker for a 6.1 configuration... But if you do use two as centers, mount them vertically to avoid comb filtering. The halfway point between them should be equal to the L/R tweeter heights.
I would ave the ability to mount them vertically and at the exact same height as they will be behind the screen. My big question is though, will this even help? Since they would both be running off the same channel will I even get more volume or better clarity running two off the same channel opposed to one?
post #5204 of 5211 Old 08-06-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
I would ave the ability to mount them vertically and at the exact same height as they will be behind the screen. My big question is though, will this even help? Since they would both be running off the same channel will I even get more volume or better clarity running two off the same channel opposed to one?

You can to check your amp specs to see if it can handle the lower impedance with them wired in parallel, but I would wire them in series anyway, to be safe. You would then have to set the center channel trim higher, but Audyssey or whatever you're using will do that for you during calibration.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #5205 of 5211 Old 08-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Through in the towel and ordered 2 FH6-LCR, pair of FH8-W along with my dayton sub-1200 and BIC DV-32B surrounds. Everything is set to show up in the next couple days. Hope this ends up working out okay. Any final opinions on if I should mount both FH8's as center channels?
post #5206 of 5211 Old 08-07-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Through in the towel and ordered 2 FH6-LCR, pair of FH8-W along with my dayton sub-1200 and BIC DV-32B surrounds. Everything is set to show up in the next couple days. Hope this ends up working out okay. Any final opinions on if I should mount both FH8's as center channels?
Since you'll have 2 of the FH-8 on hand anyhow, it can't hurt to try wiring them up in series as suggested above if using a single FH-8 for your center leaves you wanting more.

Though what I'd try first is, run the two FH6 by themselves first with a "phantom center" to see if that might be sufficient already...you may have to experiment with speaker placement and toe-in angles to get them to sound their best.

post #5207 of 5211 Old 11-13-2016, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Setup

Hello all.

My amazing gf just got me my first true HT system and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on it. Here's the setup: (all bic) R+L PL-980s, PL-28 center, PL-66 surrounds, PL-200 sub, & an Onkyo TX-NR757 receiver to power them all (got a wonderful deal after some negotiating with Mike from acousticsounddesign). The receiver is 110 watts per channel, wondering if it should be sufficient power for the lot.

Since this is my first setup, I'm also unsure about placement. How much room do the 980's need behind them and on either side? Due to the physical constraints of my apartment, the left speaker will only have about 20 inches between it and the wall to the side. I could move it over more if necessary, but it'd be tightening the walkway to the kitchen. Also, how far back should my couch be? It's currently 8 feet back from our 60" tv. Last question is about the PL-66's. Should they be at the same distance from the fronts as the couch off to the side or further back?

I've been staring longingly at speakers for about 10 years and everything arrives Wednesday. Couldn't be more excited.

Thanks all!
post #5208 of 5211 Old 11-18-2016, 06:23 AM

Quick Update. Speakers are incredible!

I kept the couch where it was, but not sure if it should be moved back. Since this is my first HT system, I'm not exactly sure what I should be listening/looking for in testing distances other than relative differences "it sounds good".
Also wondering about the orientation of the PL-66 surrounds. Should I have the angled side toward the back or front of the room (when the speakers are off to the side, roughly a two feet or so behind the listening area)? I would like the surrounds to put out a little more oomph.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing people's feedback.
post #5209 of 5211 Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there - I currently have Acoustech HT-85, HT-88's, HT-64's and two PL-200's in a large open great room (vaulted ceilings and connected to kitchen area).

I'm currently running a Onkyo TX-NR609 and considering upgrading. Can some please recommend a solid 4K receiver or how many watts per channel should I be looking for to drive these speakers? Been several years since I posted here and appreciate any tips or advice, thank you.
post #5210 of 5211 Old Today, 03:27 PM

Since everyone else seems to have vacated this thread, I can say that I'm very pleased with my Onkyo TX-NR757 for what it's worth after two weeks of listening. But for when someone else does show up that knows more, they will probably want to know your budget since that's one of the biggest determining factors.
post #5211 of 5211 Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx buddy - I ended up getting the Denon AVR-X3300W from the Fry's Elexctronics BF deal - I'll still have to hook it up and calibrate it, hope to do so tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhroberts007 View Post
Since everyone else seems to have vacated this thread, I can say that I'm very pleased with my Onkyo TX-NR757 for what it's worth after two weeks of listening. But for when someone else does show up that knows more, they will probably want to know your budget since that's one of the biggest determining factors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers