BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #5221 of 5247 Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow blind View Post
I think i've decided on the 6T towers and of course the FH6 front.
I am using those 6T towers for my front LRs and they work great for the money. I've had them for about a year and bought them knowing they were going to be discontinued. Price was attractive and in the range I wanted to work with. I think you will be pretty happy with those.

One note is that I started with a FH6-LCR as a center, but after a a while I found it a bit boxy for dialog. I replaced it with a PL28-II and I love it for the extra $100. I contacted BIC first to see what they though about mixing stuff from the BIC America and Acoustech lines and they thought it would be a good center channel upgrade so I went with it and it made a big difference.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5247 Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, new to the thread. Just want to get some input on recommended receivers for the speaker setup I have:

2 PL-980 Left/right
1 PL-28II center
2 PL-66 surrounds
1 PL-200 sub
2 HT-8C ceiling

Thanks!
post #5223 of 5247 Old 12-30-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieB View Post
Hello all, new to the thread. Just want to get some input on recommended receivers for the speaker setup I have:

2 PL-980 Left/right
1 PL-28II center
2 PL-66 surrounds
1 PL-200 sub
2 HT-8C ceiling

Thanks!
Nice setup. Pretty much any receiver will be able to drive those high sensitivity speakers to your satisfaction. What is your budget, and what specific features are you looking for? A forum favorite here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ce.asc&brand_f[]=MARANTZ

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

post #5224 of 5247 Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 PM

[quote=Zorba922;49418225]Nice setup. Pretty much any receiver will be able to drive those high sensitivity speakers to your satisfaction. What is your budget, and what specific features are you looking for? A forum favorite here:

Budget would preferably be under $1,000, maybe $800 range. As for specific features, since I am doing the 5.1.2 it will need to have Dolby Atmos,4k, probably airplay, besides that nothing really. I hear/read that a lot of people use Denon or Onkyo. Ive looked at the Onkyo TX-NR757, would that be a solid choice or is there a better option from other brands around that price?
post #5225 of 5247 Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Nice setup. Pretty much any receiver will be able to drive those high sensitivity speakers to your satisfaction. What is your budget, and what specific features are you looking for? A forum favorite here:
Budget would preferably be under $1,000, maybe $800 range. As for specific features, since I am doing the 5.1.2 it will need to have Dolby Atmos,4k, probably airplay, besides that nothing really. I hear/read that a lot of people use Denon or Onkyo. Ive looked at the Onkyo TX-NR757, would that be a solid choice or is there a better option from other brands around that price?
post #5226 of 5247 Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieB View Post
I've not seen much love for Onkyo around here. Yamaha is known as the best long-term reliability, while Denon is very popular with folks who want the latest and greatest Audyssey tools, including the ability to EQ your subwoofer(s).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...1.html?brand_f[]=DENON

Maybe the X3300 or X4200?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5227 of 5247 Old 12-31-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I've been trying out the fh6 as a center and love it. Better than the sp-c22 as I've had more time with it. Trying to decide whether I want them for fronts. I definitely like the aesthetic appeal of them over the bs22. My wife even said," Those ones just look more like a theater speaker."

Update: So I've been doing some testing with "The Magnificent Seven" (good movie by the way), and I'm really starting to notice the difference between the FH6 and BS22 specifically for HT as my fronts. There's a clarity that the BS22 can't seem to replicate compared to the FH6. I will say it: the bass on the FH6 is just not there. In fact, the BS22 easily beats it with a 4" woofer. But for HT and the utilization of a sub, this point is negated. Despite this shortcoming, the FH6 is really growing on me for it's quality and price point.

Any movies you guys recommend to test out the fronts for speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3262.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1865065  

Last edited by butie120; 12-31-2016 at 02:14 PM.
post #5228 of 5247 Old 01-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello everyone. Did anyone ever have an issue with the PL 28II crossover and binding posts frying? If so, where can I get replacement parts? I purchased this center, along with the towers a few years back to use as a temporary fix until my Klipsch RF7II set came in. After 2 weeks the center crossover fried and melted the binding posts. I since gave the towers to a friend and am now looking to fix the center and then list it since it just collects dust. Any help would be appreciative. Personally, I never cared for them, but like I said it was a fix at that time. I know this center would have a good home with someone who actually likes them once fixed.

Thanks

Judd

US ARMY: 11C48
Come on Retirement. May 2017, can't come soon enough!
post #5229 of 5247 Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Any movies you guys recommend to test out the fronts for speakers?
The following are what I've used so far in my own multi-speaker review:

=== “Gladiator” - excellent audio, especially during the opening battle scenes (8:00-12:00 mark). I consider this one of the best scenes for evaluating speakers’ voice clarity because the dialogue is shouted over the overwhelming cacophony of the battlefield: whizzing arrows, crashing fireballs, the crunch and crash of metal upon metal; horses galloping, horses neighing; men grunting shouting and screaming; Maximus giving orders and trying to inspire his men (“Roma victor!”); it really is, just as he promised at the beginning, “hell unleashed.” Pure chaos, of both sight and sound! And yes, plenty of the much-ballyhooed “front panning effects”...hahahahaha!

=== “Pulp Fiction” - it’s tempting to focus on the uber-cool 1970s rock tunes on the soundtrack, but there are some nice action sequences with sudden thunderous gunfire and some of the best film dialogue ever written in this movie, which is why I must’ve seen it at least a dozen times over the years and never get tired of it! Decided to focus on the long conversation that John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson have about “the little differences” between the US and Europe, which takes place while they’re driving to the scene of a hit-job (7:20-8:40 mark)...male voices competing with road and traffic noise.

=== “Inglorious Bastards” - the long interrogation scene of a French farmer by Christopher Waltz (7:20 start)

=== “Inception” - lots of scenes with dialogue mixed in with thunderous explosions, collisions, collapsing buildings, etc.

post #5230 of 5247 Old 01-01-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The following are what I've used so far in my own multi-speaker review:

=== “Gladiator” - excellent audio, especially during the opening battle scenes (8:00-12:00 mark). I consider this one of the best scenes for evaluating speakers’ voice clarity because the dialogue is shouted over the overwhelming cacophony of the battlefield: whizzing arrows, crashing fireballs, the crunch and crash of metal upon metal; horses galloping, horses neighing; men grunting shouting and screaming; Maximus giving orders and trying to inspire his men (“Roma victor!”); it really is, just as he promised at the beginning, “hell unleashed.” Pure chaos, of both sight and sound! And yes, plenty of the much-ballyhooed “front panning effects”...hahahahaha!

=== “Pulp Fiction” - it’s tempting to focus on the uber-cool 1970s rock tunes on the soundtrack, but there are some nice action sequences with sudden thunderous gunfire and some of the best film dialogue ever written in this movie, which is why I must’ve seen it at least a dozen times over the years and never get tired of it! Decided to focus on the long conversation that John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson have about “the little differences” between the US and Europe, which takes place while they’re driving to the scene of a hit-job (7:20-8:40 mark)...male voices competing with road and traffic noise.

=== “Inglorious Bastards” - the long interrogation scene of a French farmer by Christopher Waltz (7:20 start)

=== “Inception” - lots of scenes with dialogue mixed in with thunderous explosions, collisions, collapsing buildings, etc.
Awesome Zorba. Thanks for the movie list! I must say, I'm really starting to enjoy the FH6. I've been using it as a center for a few movies now, and it's so much clearer than the SP-C22. I wasn't sure how much of a difference I would notice, but it really stands out as you spend more time with the Bic. I even ordered two more from Walmart to put them as my fronts in replace of the bs22.

We watched "The Magnificent Seven" two nights ago and I ran the FH6 and BS22 together as a phantom center. I altered back and forth between the two, and the FH6 provided a more dynamic and wide range of sound. Again, the BS22 seems a little too reserved. Moreover, I'm even liking the presence for music too. It's not perfect for music, but I like the forward voices and higher volume, and not to mention the higher "highs"it can achieve. People owe it to themselves to try this before more expensive ones.
post #5231 of 5247 Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
I've not seen much love for Onkyo around here. Yamaha is known as the best long-term reliability, while Denon is very popular with folks who want the latest and greatest Audyssey tools, including the ability to EQ your subwoofer(s).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...1.html?brand_f[]=DENON

Maybe the X3300 or X4200?
@Zorba922 hey zorba...I sold my bics...I will say i did enjoy my time with them..the center channel I beleive was the star of the show...but recently I held a mini GTG with 2 guys I met on here. One of them brought over some sealed Volt 10's from DIYSG. We ran them as fronts and did A/B comparison between my BIC towers and then my bic bookshelves...the DIY Volts blew them away. I was blissfully happy with my bics, until i heard the Volts. I found it fascinating that when we all 3 first heard the BIC's we all thought they sounded great. That was the first speaker we listened to. Then we plugged the volts and it was like oh wow..ok...then once we switched back to the Bics..something felt missing. The guy had an A/B speaker selector so we were able to switch back quickly. We all 3 agreed the Bics were good budget speakers, but the Volts were on a different level...so i have sold my Bics...going to look into the DIYSG speakers...have only heard great things about them and they are easier to build then people realize...i hope im not in over my head..haha..so yeah the bics were awesome for that they were..but its time to step it up a notch.
post #5232 of 5247 Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
@Zorba922 hey zorba...I sold my bics...I will say i did enjoy my time with them..the center channel I beleive was the star of the show...but recently I held a mini GTG with 2 guys I met on here. One of them brought over some sealed Volt 10's from DIYSG. We ran them as fronts and did A/B comparison between my BIC towers and then my bic bookshelves...the DIY Volts blew them away. I was blissfully happy with my bics, until i heard the Volts. I found it fascinating that when we all 3 first heard the BIC's we all thought they sounded great. That was the first speaker we listened to. Then we plugged the volts and it was like oh wow..ok...then once we switched back to the Bics..something felt missing. The guy had an A/B speaker selector so we were able to switch back quickly. We all 3 agreed the Bics were good budget speakers, but the Volts were on a different level...so i have sold my Bics...going to look into the DIYSG speakers...have only heard great things about them and they are easier to build then people realize...i hope im not in over my head..haha..so yeah the bics were awesome for that they were..but its time to step it up a notch.
Oh I could totally see that...a coaxial DIY speaker with a 10" driver is likely to be in a whole other league. If I had the tools and mechanical skills, I'd have tried DIY too at some point. Good luck!

post #5233 of 5247 Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I even ordered two more from Walmart to put them as my fronts in replace of the bs22.

We watched "The Magnificent Seven" two nights ago and I ran the FH6 and BS22 together as a phantom center. I altered back and forth between the two, and the FH6 provided a more dynamic and wide range of sound. Again, the BS22 seems a little too reserved. Moreover, I'm even liking the presence for music too. It's not perfect for music, but I like the forward voices and higher volume, and not to mention the higher "highs"it can achieve. People owe it to themselves to try this before more expensive ones.
Interesting. I hope that having a 3 x FH6 front stage will work for you...and I guess if not all you'd need to do is keep the Pios and drop off the 2 extra BICs at Walmart, god bless 'em.
chadsmith013 likes this.

post #5234 of 5247 Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Oh I could totally see that...a coaxial DIY speaker with a 10" driver is likely to be in a whole other league. If I had the tools and mechanical skills, I'd have tried DIY too at some point. Good luck!
apparently with these kits..you dont need a whole lot of skills..and one of the guys is gonna help me with the crossovers..Ive read outside of that..everything else is a piece of cake.

i pretty much have 0 % DIY skills...but i did manage to get thru the build process(thanks to said friend) and I have 2 Dayton Ho 18 subs in sealed boxes..sounds amazing!!
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5235 of 5247 Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know if there would be any benefit with the Formula 65B for fronts compared to the FH6-LCR? This is primarily for HT so will be using a sub. I like the FH6 as a center. The FH6 is sealed and 65B is ported, but not sure how much benefit this brings if I'm running a sub. Any thoughts from people? I watched the review on youtube from Z reviews and he said after some break in time this speaker is "very good", very directional, but he thought this could be aided by rotating the piece near the tweeter for more off axis response.
post #5236 of 5247 Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow blind View Post
I think i've decided on the 6T towers and of course the FH6 front. Problem is i cant decide if i should get the FH65B bookshelves or Fluance SXBP/AVBP2 bipoles.

Nice thing about the bipoles is their ability to be flush wall-mounted (and have presumably much wider sound dispersion) where the FHB65s would need to be placed on stands... leading to more cost and "things to knock over".
Did you end up going with the Fluance SXBP? I've been eyeing them as well and seem to can't find a lot of information on what people think about them here. Not only that but the "optimum situation" of when to use bi-poles.

The flush wall mount and grander sound dispersion is appealing to me as well.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
Center Speaker: Chane A2.4
Front Left/Right: Chane A1.4
Surround Left/Right: KLH
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW216
Devices: Vizio M55-C2, Plex Media Server (i5, 8gb, Ubuntu), Fire Tv, Xbox One, PS3
post #5237 of 5247 Old 01-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Just thought I would chime in here.....

I am running 7 of the FH6 LCR`s in a 5.1.2 configuration. Yes I mounted 2 of them on the ceiling for Atmos !

I have been using them/playing with them for over a month now, mainly for HT use.

I just put in a music CD in the BR player for the first time.....OMG!

Running the reciever in extended stereo mode made for some incredible listening.

They have been outstanding for movies and my first impresssion was they did OK with music, but that was with youtube and internet radio.......a CD disk is another story.

It was like listening to my CD collection for the first time and hearing things I never heard before.

I can honestly say these do pretty good for music from a quality source now.

I am running these different than most recomend........that might be the difference now also.

I have all 7 speakers set to large/full range..........double bass on and the crossover set to 150 and the sub adjusted down very low.....MCACC set the sub to +6 db, I have it set to 0 and the dials on sub set very low.

This gives extremely good performance from these speakers !

I just ordered a Bic F-12 to replace/add to my current sub, so the settings might be changed slightly.

The sealed nature of the FH6 lcr combined with a fairly high watt rating makes them pretty safe to run hard and they seem to open up at higher volumes...... Running the extended stereo mode at -10 to -18 on the reciever seemed to be the sweet spot where they came alive.

For what will be at 900 bucks shipped to the door for a matched 5.1.2 system, these are a outstanding performer.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #5238 of 5247 Old 01-22-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Just thought I would chime in here.....

I am running 7 of the FH6 LCR`s in a 5.1.2 configuration. Yes I mounted 2 of them on the ceiling for Atmos !

I have been using them/playing with them for over a month now, mainly for HT use.

I just put in a music CD in the BR player for the first time.....OMG!

Running the reciever in extended stereo mode made for some incredible listening.

They have been outstanding for movies and my first impresssion was they did OK with music, but that was with youtube and internet radio.......a CD disk is another story.

It was like listening to my CD collection for the first time and hearing things I never heard before.

I can honestly say these do pretty good for music from a quality source now.

I am running these different than most recomend........that might be the difference now also.

I have all 7 speakers set to large/full range..........double bass on and the crossover set to 150 and the sub adjusted down very low.....MCACC set the sub to +6 db, I have it set to 0 and the dials on sub set very low.

This gives extremely good performance from these speakers !

I just ordered a Bic F-12 to replace/add to my current sub, so the settings might be changed slightly.

The sealed nature of the FH6 lcr combined with a fairly high watt rating makes them pretty safe to run hard and they seem to open up at higher volumes...... Running the extended stereo mode at -10 to -18 on the reciever seemed to be the sweet spot where they came alive.

For what will be at 900 bucks shipped to the door for a matched 5.1.2 system, these are a outstanding performer.

Are you still liking the FH6 for movies? Do you like the type of sound it produces for movies?
post #5239 of 5247 Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Are you still liking the FH6 for movies? Do you like the type of sound it produces for movies?
They are outstanding for movies !

5.1.2 gives 14 , 6.5 inch woofers in 7 speakers.

Now with the f-12 hooked up it does even better on music.

Just watched the Zepplin concert on BR disk.....10 thumbs up.

Getting ready to load up pacific rim to test out the F-12 right now.

Unless you are super picky, I am not sure you could go wrong with all FH6 LCR`s and a f-12 sub.

The MCACC has a EQ for every single channel, just not one for all channels, including the sub and I have not seen a need to adjust the or EQ the channels as it sounds pretty darn good.

I am under no illusion these are comparable to Westlake audio or anything.........but for a budget level set up, they are outstanding.

Street price is 900 bucks approx. and with some sale shopping like I did, it was right under 800 bucks for the entire set!

They would be cheap to replace,so no worries crankin it up, and a great warranty......they louder than most would ever play them.

Off to watch Pacific Rim for the sub test....music passed already on it, really looking forward to a movie as my junk sub did pretty good on movies before and this F-12 is way better.

post #5240 of 5247 Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just installed an Atmos receiver and I would like to add the required speakers to my BIC Acoustech setup. Which in ceiling speakers from BIC are the closest in sound to my PL89ii's, pl66s, and pl28?

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
post #5241 of 5247 Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colticus View Post
Just installed an Atmos receiver and I would like to add the required speakers to my BIC Acoustech setup. Which in ceiling speakers from BIC are the closest in sound to my PL89ii's, pl66s, and pl28?
Probably these:
https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F...iling+speakers
Colticus and unretarded like this.

post #5242 of 5247 Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 PM

I now have 7 FH-6 LCR`s, 3 F-12`s and a pl-200...........very happy !
Zorba922 likes this.

post #5243 of 5247 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Thanks. Order placed.
Zorba922 and unretarded like this.

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
post #5244 of 5247 Old Today, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in on my experience (for movies/music) with FH6 LCR. I wasn't too happy with the sharp/shrill sound from LR. I have SVS PB-1000 as sub and still found something missing. I replaced LR with KEF Q100 and the HT experience is so much better. Music is even better. I kept FH6 as center. My surrounds are Fluance bipolar.
post #5245 of 5247 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybe View Post
Just wanted to chime in on my experience (for movies/music) with FH6 LCR. I wasn't too happy with the sharp/shrill sound from LR. I have SVS PB-1000 as sub and still found something missing. I replaced LR with KEF Q100 and the HT experience is so much better. Music is even better. I kept FH6 as center.
Makes perfect sense, and exactly what I'd do myself.

I have a similarly warm L/R (Wharfedale 10.1) + FH6 center setup, works flawlessly as 3.1 for HT, and 2.1/2.0 for music.

post #5246 of 5247 Old Today, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Makes perfect sense, and exactly what I'd do myself.

I have a similarly warm L/R (Wharfedale 10.1) + FH6 center setup, works flawlessly as 3.1 for HT, and 2.1/2.0 for music.
Thanks! It was a struggle at the beginning to really realize what was missing. I was just not enjoying my HT. I knew my room needs absorption panels (as it is completely empty right now- just an area rug and theater chairs and of course walls), but still. Then I went to a local electronic store and heard KEF speakers. I have read so many happy owner of this brand and they recently reduced their price on Q100/300 (right in my price range) and thought to give it a try (30 days trial period). I am SO HAPPY with these speakers and BIC as my center. The music is "beautiful" coming out, whether i play 2.1 or 5.1.
post #5247 of 5247 Old Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 651
I was able to adjust my treble down, and the bass up, enough to eliminate any shrillness and also boost the midrange. Room treatments will make more of a difference than any adjustments though.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page