BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #5251 of 5265 Old 02-27-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The logical answer is that the designer and manufacturer know their stuff, and built it with the correct orientation. If it helps, I have their Platinum line, and the 3" dimension is horizontal, while the 4" dimension is vertical. I have read posts where people have called the manufacturer and been told the orientation on the FH-6 wasn't critical, and I have read posts where people rotated the horns to match across the front stage. I would personally rotate it/them so the 4" dimension is vertical.

When you say built it with the correct orientation, do you mean as a center channel lying horizontally? So, if I use them as my Left/Right I should rotate them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5265 Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 598
I have had them orientated both wa without switching the tweeter.....works fine.
Augerhandle likes this.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #5253 of 5265 Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
When you say built it with the correct orientation, do you mean as a center channel lying horizontally? So, if I use them as my Left/Right I should rotate them?

Yes. I was talking about the orientation of the horn itself. As I said, I have the Platinum series, and all the horns are the same orientation (3" horizontal, 4" vertical). Measure the rectangular opening of your horns with the speakers in their final position.

Here's another post about it (The original poster had modified his the wrong way).

BIC FH6-LCR Horn Tweeter Mod / Review of the DV-62si

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
He didn't quite understand the horns, so his mod wasn't a great idea. The original orientation of the horn was correct. If you were to stand the speaker vertically, yeah, you would want to rotate the horn. The sides with the greater surface area will produce a greater and more even dispersion. The way he set it up, he sacrificed horizontal axis response for a better vertical response, but horizontal response typically has a much greater effect on how good the speaker sounds. Only rotate the horns if you are going to stand the LCR up vertically.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 02-28-2017 at 11:25 AM.

post #5254 of 5265 Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i just got the dv62 clr is there a big difference between that and the fh6lcr .i can send back the dv62 if need be
post #5255 of 5265 Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post
i just got the dv62 clr is there a big difference between that and the fh6lcr .i can send back the dv62 if need be
If you're in the US, you can order the FH6 for free pickup at your nearest Walmart for a no-risk 90 day trial, and compare the 2 speakers side by side for yourself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIC-FH6-L...eaker/10298559

They go in and out of stock every couple of weeks.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5256 of 5265 Old 03-02-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post

62CLRS is dome tweeter and FH6 LCR is a horn tweeter, which are known to be more sensitive. However, that 62CLRS was a great center channel when I had it. Very powerful speaker and lifelike sounds. Has good sensitivity, too.

Usually horns are known as being more sensitive, but in my upcoming speaker shootout, that myth will soon be proven wrong!!
post #5257 of 5265 Old 03-02-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
just didnt know if it was that big of differnce to hassle with or maybe the pll 28 would be a choice .dont get me wrong the dv62 sounds go to me it is better then the yamaha i have had for 20 years(made in usa)very detailed sound out of tthe tweeter on the bic was very happy ,always want more ha.

Last edited by madermat; 03-05-2017 at 09:04 PM.
post #5258 of 5265 Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just upgraded my mains L/R from the FH6`s to the D62-3lcr.

The FH6`s were outstanding for movies and OK for music.

The 6db difference at 1 watt is very noticable, but they sound much much much better for music.

The d62`s do excellent for music and good to very good for movies.

I still have fh6 center,surrounds and atmos ceiling ones, not sure I want to swap those out as I do not do much surround music as of now.

I am now considering a AT screen and mounting both the d62`s and the fh6`s behind the screen and using a A/B switch to use the 2 different speakers.......that or take the extra 2 fh6`s and do 4 ceiling speakers for atmos.

I will use the new d62`s for while and see if I can live with them for movies......they blow the fh6`s away for music.......I could never quite tame the horn loaded tweeters down for music..

Soo, if you do movies only...the FH6`s are the clear winner, for music use the d62-3lcr is the clear winner........for mixed use I would say the d62`s are the winner. You will just need to crank the volume up considerably more to get the same output from the d62`s.

I am using a pioneer elite vsx - lx301 and had plenty of volume left to do this.......

I also did some tricky settings.........rather than let room correction dial it all back to match the new speakers, I run the new speakers 3db hotter than the fh6`s to keep ,MCACC wants to dial back the fh6`s and that takes up available volume.

Not that it matters that much as I have the reciver limited to 0 MV, but it goes to +16.......listening level before was at approx -12.5 to - 18, with the d62`s it is approx -4 to -12.........to get the same loudness.

I kept and will be keeping the fh6 center for now, unless I get some sort of sound issues associated with mixed speakers it will stay. I will say movies also seem less harsh on the ears now with the d62-3 lcr`s......

They are a much much warmer less harsh speaker than the FH6`s, but the FH6`s are just soooooo good with movies it makes it hard to give them up, thats why I am considering the A/B switch and keeping them for movies.

post #5259 of 5265 Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I just upgraded my mains L/R from the FH6`s to the D62-3lcr.

The FH6`s were outstanding for movies and OK for music.

The 6db difference at 1 watt is very noticable, but they sound much much much better for music.

The d62`s do excellent for music and good to very good for movies.

I still have fh6 center,surrounds and atmos ceiling ones, not sure I want to swap those out as I do not do much surround music as of now.

I am now considering a AT screen and mounting both the d62`s and the fh6`s behind the screen and using a A/B switch to use the 2 different speakers.......that or take the extra 2 fh6`s and do 4 ceiling speakers for atmos.

I will use the new d62`s for while and see if I can live with them for movies......they blow the fh6`s away for music.......I could never quite tame the horn loaded tweeters down for music..

Soo, if you do movies only...the FH6`s are the clear winner, for music use the d62-3lcr is the clear winner........for mixed use I would say the d62`s are the winner. You will just need to crank the volume up considerably more to get the same output from the d62`s.

I am using a pioneer elite vsx - lx301 and had plenty of volume left to do this.......

I also did some tricky settings.........rather than let room correction dial it all back to match the new speakers, I run the new speakers 3db hotter than the fh6`s to keep ,MCACC wants to dial back the fh6`s and that takes up available volume.

Not that it matters that much as I have the reciver limited to 0 MV, but it goes to +16.......listening level before was at approx -12.5 to - 18, with the d62`s it is approx -4 to -12.........to get the same loudness.

I kept and will be keeping the fh6 center for now, unless I get some sort of sound issues associated with mixed speakers it will stay. I will say movies also seem less harsh on the ears now with the d62-3 lcr`s......

They are a much much warmer less harsh speaker than the FH6`s, but the FH6`s are just soooooo good with movies it makes it hard to give them up, thats why I am considering the A/B switch and keeping them for movies.
So you like the FH6 for movies, but you find them harsh sounding? Are you also finding the center to be harsh with movies?
post #5260 of 5265 Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
So you like the FH6 for movies, but you find them harsh sounding? Are you also finding the center to be harsh with movies?

Perfect for movies....harsh for music.

Soo good for movies in fact I just ordered a selector switch so I can keep them........also will have to upgrade to a AT screen to do this.

Thats how good I think they are for movies....willing to spend money on a good switch and replace my screen to keep them good!

I listen to all music styles and I would say the fh6`s do good on 50% of the music styles and acceptable on the rest and very poorly on maybe 10% of music. The FH6`s are just not that great for music if you are into high quality sound.

If you are not super picky about sound quality then they might do a great job. Part of me doing this system was great/outstanding sounding music reproduction, soo in that aspect, GOOD souding music is not acceptable.

The FH6 is not horrible or unlistenable for music.......I have had and heard way worse in the same class of speaker. I could have tolerated the quality of the soud if it was not for the harsh horn loaded tweeters that required EQ to tame down and whe you tamed them down for music, they lost a lot of the tonal qualities.

For a 20x30 basement and rocking out with a crowd, they would be excellent or backyard BBQ speakers, they would also be great. For a dedicated treated music room.....no.

The horn loaded tweeters do a good job of exposing low quality content from the web.....if I did not stream music from poor sources and youtube, I might have just kept the fh6`s for music, especially if all of my music listening was from CD`s.

The D62-3lcr tolerates poor quality music a little better and overall sounds much better for all music.

Soo for all movies...they are great........for dedicated music rooms, no.

Keep in mind we are talking basic entry level speakers, so none of them are audiophile grade. I just selected the D62-3lcr to try and keep it matched to my other speakers as much as possible and stay with bic brand.

For the retail price, which I did not pay, I am sure there are many that sound as good as the D62-3lcr`s and many that sound better.

But for movies only, it would be hard to beat the FH6`s without spending much much more money.........all the qualities the FH6`s lack for music are exactly what you want in a movie speaker.

I selected the FH6`s for strictly movie use, but the room has evolved into a lot of music use. Keep in mind this is lights off,room sealed, layed back in the recliner music use.

When I had the FH6`s on for music and was in another room cooking/eating or cleaning the house they were perfectly fine for music.

But for 2-6 hour lights off reclined back in a dedicated sealed room.......they were nothing to write home about and small issues with the fh6`s became large issues in that application.

Also a factor to keep in mind is I am in a 144 square foot room...12x12.....a 400 square foot room would ease some of the issues...the fh6`s get crazy loud with very little power and even louder with more. A huge 400 square foot plus room or outside use might very well change my take on them for music.

I had absolutly no issues or complaints for movies with the fh6`s.......I am not sure it gets much or any better for movies in the same style/class speaker. For movies only it was giggles and smiles each time with no thoughts of upgrading and many thoughts of it would be hard to get any better than this.

post #5261 of 5265 Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help!

First post for a longtime lurker. I really appreciate all the helpful posts everyone has on here, I finally ran into a problem I'm not sure how to fix.

I picked up the 5.2 Acoustech setup and now I'm wondering if I will be able to use the PL-66s that came with it. I included a picture of the wall I was planning on mounting them to.

The room is 12x22 and I know with a 5.1 surrounds are recommended to be at more of an angle and not directly behing, but this is what I'm working with.

Will the PL-66s work here or will the horns be way too close to the side walls? Suggestions/tips/pictures/prayers appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backwall.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2059905  
post #5262 of 5265 Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
In case anyone is interested acousticsounddesign.com has a promo code right now. Use "REDDIT16" and it will take 16% off of anything not currently on special.
post #5263 of 5265 Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
One of the marketing guys at ASD let me know that there are some package sales going on. I know we are all owners of BIC stuff already, but there are some gnarly deals here.

Denon AVR-X2300W with BIC Acoustech PL-89II Theater System with PL-200II Sub $999.00

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...id=10396&sc=32

BIC Acoustech PL-980 7.2 Home Theater System - PL-200II-Denon X2300W

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...id=10357&sc=27
post #5264 of 5265 Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeAudio View Post
One of the marketing guys at ASD let me know that there are some package sales going on. I know we are all owners of BIC stuff already, but there are some gnarly deals here.

Denon AVR-X2300W with BIC Acoustech PL-89II Theater System with PL-200II Sub $999.00

I'm looking at this now.. is it worth it? I'm no pro that's why I'm asking.. please let me know soon I'd like to jump on this ASAP! Not sure about the receiver either..

thanks
pete
post #5265 of 5265 Old 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeAudio View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsid View Post
I'm looking at this now.. is it worth it? I'm no pro that's why I'm asking.. please let me know soon I'd like to jump on this ASAP! Not sure about the receiver either..

thanks
pete

Subtract the price of the subwoofer, and it's what I paid on sale for the 5 speakers, so you're getting the Denon receiver almost free in comparison.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , bic acoustech pl 980 speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page