post #31 of 4647 Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

I get my 88s tommorow,getting the sub next then center and rears.

You'll be glad you did I dont think i could be happier with the purchase. It did take some breaking in for the 8" woofers before the starting producing good bass so give them some good play time. Dont be afraid to crank them up too, they'll handle it well Also, when you get yours, please post your opinions as well. I'd like to see these things getting more attention as they deserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4647 Old 02-21-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm glad you're happy with them I'm sure I will be too.Ive been looking at them for a while now
post #33 of 4647 Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike2069 View Post

spezzy... these get loud as s#!t. You'll definately be able to rock out with these lol. I particularly like a bright sound, I like to really hear the treble, its great for instrumentals and a good crisp sound. With that said, you will get a very crisp sound with prominant treble. They have the ability to be very bright (depending on you reciever config, EQ) but since they also have dual 8's, there is also a lot of warmth so you kinda get the best of both worlds. As I stated in my update in the original post, you wont get a whole lot of bass pumping through these but they do provide a great full range of sound, and at very high volumes with no distortion. If you want a lot of bass and want to really feel the bass drums when they're hit, then you definately need a sub. If you're worried about your receiver not allowing for a sub, the H100 will allow you to run the 2 front channels through it and out to your towers.

Superb pics. You did the collective a real service posting your experience with the BIC Acoustechs. The speakers look outstanding.

The 1 watt, 1 meter rating of 96dB and 98dB for the HT-75 and HT-88 are a solid -6 dB to -10 dB softer than the typical pro-audio rig with their powerful horn tweeter-midranges with 4" voice coil woofers. Those pro rigs sound extremely bright up close because they are designed to fill a club or an arena with loud sound and they have 1 watt, 1 meter ratings of 102 dB to 108 dB!!! But the BIC's have been designed with a "softening" of the mid-range/high-frequency horn and from your description (and others that I have read) it sounds like they were very successful in making an accurate, efficient loudspeaker without making it shrill or hard on the ears. I've also read that the tympanic response of the BIC's in film is quite profound...along the line of what we've all heard in the Bose Demonstrators in a small, confined space.

I just may have to give these a try. Really superb appearance and build quality and the towers sound like they've got the "right stuff".
post #34 of 4647 Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM

I've had a few days to listen to my 88's and I love them.I've never owned any horn speakers so I didn't really know what to expect but they sound awesome to me,very smooth and the bass is better than I expected.I haven't really cranked them up yet but I'm sure they probably will play very loud,since they are so efficient.I'm powering them with a Denon avr-3806. I cant wait to complete the set and couldn't be happier with them.
post #35 of 4647 Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've had a few days to listen to my 88's and I love them.I've never owned any horn speakers so I didn't really know what to expect but they sound awesome to me,very smooth and the bass is better than I expected.I haven't really cranked them up yet but I'm sure they probably will play very loud,since they are so efficient.I'm powering them with a Denon avr-3806. I cant wait to complete the set and couldn't be happier with them.

Corey, glad you enjoy them and thanks for posting your opinion! Its nice to have someone elses opinion on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoppolite View Post

Superb pics. You did the collective a real service posting your experience with the BIC Acoustechs. The speakers look outstanding.

I appreciate your response. I just know that when i was trying to dig up some info about these i couldnt find any real pics or any solid reviews other than 'sounds good'. I finally made the leap and bought them without having heard them or even seeing them and I ended up LOVING THEM, they exceeded my expectations by a lot. So then i decided to put a pretty thorough review along with detailed pics so that others wouldnt have the same problems I did because its hard enough making a decision to buy speakers when no local retailers sell them and you cant see or hear them.
post #36 of 4647 Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 AM

Great review so far, now sell me. If you have War Of The Worlds dvd put it in and cue up the scene where the first tripod comes out of the ground in the beginning of the movie. Turn it up to reference volume and wait until the fog horn sound blows from the tripod. If this sound does not distort these speakers Im buying a set tommorow.
post #37 of 4647 Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Insofar as the H100 is concerned, I found it to add a pleasant rounding to music, but it has neither the extension nor the punch that one would expect from a box that size. There are better choices for HT.
post #38 of 4647 Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith203 View Post

Great review so far, now sell me. If you have War Of The Worlds dvd put it in and cue up the scene where the first tripod comes out of the ground in the beginning of the movie. Turn it up to reference volume and wait until the fog horn sound blows from the tripod. If this sound does not distort these speakers Im buying a set tommorow.

I popped in the dvd and listened with DTS encoding... i THINK i know which part you are talking about. If its the part just after the steeple falls off the church then i think we're on the same page. I didnt hear any distortion (other than the blinds on the windows rattling a bit). I'm not sure why you picked that particular part though. I was more impressed with the way the lightening sounded (a few minutes before the first tripod) and a couple of parts where a car was thrown on top of another car... just sounded too good. Anyway, the only way you'll really know how they sound and if they're right for you is by listening and I know its kinda hard to do that without any local retailers for BIC. I know i went out on the ledge and bought them without hearing the acoustech s, and i'm very glad i did... thats really about all i can say about them. Hope that helps.
post #39 of 4647 Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM

I've got a query for (hopefully) someone out there. I have a couple sonic impact t-amp (class T amplifier) and am hoping that these speakers (either the ht-75 or ht-88) will play nice with this little gem. It has pretty low power output, but it's sound quality is superb.

Is there anyone that's tried pairing the Acoustech's with the T-Amp?
post #40 of 4647 Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyrne View Post

I've got a query for (hopefully) someone out there. I have a couple sonic impact t-amp (class T amplifier) and am hoping that these speakers (either the ht-75 or ht-88) will play nice with this little gem. It has pretty low power output, but it's sound quality is superb.

Is there anyone that's tried pairing the Acoustech's with the T-Amp?

What are your plans for the future? Do you plan to upgrade or keep your T-Amps. I've got to be honest, 15Watts is not much at all. The Acoustechs are VERY efficient speakers, but spending 300-500 on a pair of speakers that will run on a $30 - 15Watt amp just doesnt seem practical. Now perhaps if you planned to upgrade to a reciever in the very near future, then a speaker purchase like this would make a bit more sense. I really wouldnt even need to be an expensive reciever... just some $100 2 channel reciever would make the difference like night and day when comparing against a 15W amplifier.... Just something to think about. To answer your question, i've not personally tried it with a T-amp, but like i said, they are very very efficient speakers. You may get enough output to suit your needs, but throwing down $100 on a 2x100W receiver would mean a great deal.
post #41 of 4647 Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Great review. Thanks for the high quality pictures. Can you tell if the HT-88 has bi-amp capability? Do you have a pictures of the back side of the speakers? I couldn't find any picture of the back of the HT-75 or HT-88 on the Web.
post #42 of 4647 Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 AM

No you can't bi-amp the 88's
post #43 of 4647 Old 03-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

What are your plans for the future?

Well, the T-Amps are the plans. I bought them because they have excellent sound and do their job pretty well (in a small form factor).

Quote:

Do you plan to upgrade or keep your T-Amps. I've got to be honest, 15Watts is not much at all. The Acoustechs are VERY efficient speakers, but spending 300-500 on a pair of speakers that will run on a $30 - 15Watt amp just doesnt seem practical. Now perhaps if you planned to upgrade to a reciever in the very near future, then a speaker purchase like this would make a bit more sense.

I think maybe you don't understand. Read a little more about the T-Amp first. I will still be using some form of receiver (not integrated) and probably some sort of pre-amp so, yeah, there's still money involved.

Quote:

I really wouldnt even need to be an expensive reciever... just some $100 2 channel reciever would make the difference like night and day when comparing against a 15W amplifier.... Just something to think about.

Well, I've got a couple of integrated receivers and one is connected to some crappy in-wall speakers. I disconnected a couple of those speakers and tied them directly from a cd player to the T-Amp then out to the speakers. The difference in sound quality was, in fact, phenomenal. The T-amp won that contest hands down. More power, does not equal better sound. I can tell you from experience because I listened first hand.

Quote:

To answer your question, i've not personally tried it with a T-amp

You might want to think about trying one then.

Quote:

You may get enough output to suit your needs, but throwing down $100 on a 2x100W receiver would mean a great deal.

I know I didn't give you a whole lot to go on in my post, but come on man...
post #44 of 4647 Old 03-09-2008, 05:16 PM

sweet post

been looking for a pic review thread about the BIC H-100

cant wait to get mine

Fathers Day...ahhhh
post #45 of 4647 Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

lilmike2069,

I am glad that you are enjoying your BICs. BICs was my first choice before upgrading to the Rockets. I was wondering if you had a chance to test your BICs against the Klipsch at Best Buy? If you did, what is your thought? Which speakers sounded better?

What scared me away from the BICs was when I went to Best Buy and tested the Klipsch and the horns were too bright for my taste in music. What are your thoughts on BIC's brightness? Is it less or more than the Klipsch?

My brother likes my Rockets but he is not going to spend that much on speakers and so I'm pointing him towards the BIC's direction but wanted to hear your opinion on the difference between the Klipsch and BICs?
post #46 of 4647 Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I would love to hear an impression as well. Not because I dont like klipsch...I like the klipsch reference quite a bit, but i am considering rounding out my surrounds with Bic speakers as they are a cosmetic match.

The only review out there I found seemed to indicate the Bics are much less forward than the klipsch.
post #47 of 4647 Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I popped in the dvd and listened with DTS encoding... i THINK i know which part you are talking about. If its the part just after the steeple falls off the church then i think we're on the same page. I didnt hear any distortion (other than the blinds on the windows rattling a bit). I'm not sure why you picked that particular part though. I was more impressed with the way the lightening sounded (a few minutes before the first tripod) and a couple of parts where a car was thrown on top of another car... just sounded too good. Anyway, the only way you'll really know how they sound and if they're right for you is by listening and I know its kinda hard to do that without any local retailers for BIC. I know i went out on the ledge and bought them without hearing the acoustech s, and i'm very glad i did... thats really about all i can say about them. Hope that helps.

thanks for the review and the pics! i think what bsmith was asking about is, in the movie War of the Worlds, when Tom Cruise steps out of the corner and looks up at the first tri-pod, it kinda poops (sorry) and makes a horn sound. i'm guessing with bsmith, like me, there is a slight distortion at the peak of the horn sounding off. and no matter what speaker i have used, even tried with a phantom center, it still distorted. i guess if you can't hear it with these speakers than that's really good. thanks again.
post #48 of 4647 Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

I was wondering if you had a chance to test your BICs against the Klipsch at Best Buy? If you did, what is your thought? Which speakers sounded better?

I have not auditioned them in a side by side test however I have auditioned the synergy series at best buy. I did not put them through a rigorous test with signal sweeps etc... and the atmosphere is obviously not the best for really picky listening do to the sales floor size and ambient noises but i can tell you that from what i have heard from them, the Acoustech's are a superior speaker at a much lower price. They provide a much cleaner and fuller sound. The tweets on the acoustech are also crisper and not 'tinny' at all. The engineers that designed the speakers toned down the output of the horns just a bit. They still have the ability to be bright, but they arn't what I would consider too bright at all. Of course you do have some control over how bright or soft the speaker sounds depending on your receiver and EQ, but the horns on the Acoustech speakers provide a lot of detail without sounding shrill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

I would love to hear an impression as well. Not because I dont like klipsch...I like the klipsch reference quite a bit, but i am considering rounding out my surrounds with Bic speakers as they are a cosmetic match.

These speakers really only cosmetically match with the grills off and that is mainly due to the horn driver and copper colored cone. Aside from that, if you leave the grill on, the BIC speakers, in my opinion, are much nicer looking because of the black lacquer finish.
post #49 of 4647 Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayshift View Post

thanks for the review and the pics! i think what bsmith was asking about is, in the movie War of the Worlds, when Tom Cruise steps out of the corner and looks up at the first tri-pod, it kinda poops (sorry) and makes a horn sound. i'm guessing with bsmith, like me, there is a slight distortion at the peak of the horn sounding off. and no matter what speaker i have used, even tried with a phantom center, it still distorted. i guess if you can't hear it with these speakers than that's really good. thanks again.

I recall that scene. I've tried it with my older Polk R50s before I sold them and did indeed hear that slight distorting sound. However, I have not experienced that with my JBL E50s and EC35, nor the JBL Studio L series.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #50 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Nice review on these speakers.....

I have had a set of these Acoustech speakers for about a year now and they are downright awesome. I am very satisfied and they are the best speakers I have ever owned. No problem running at reference level without any hints of distress or distortion. My home theater room is not the biggest and I am feeding them some horsepower so that likely helps. My receiver is an HK AVR-7200 with 100 or 130W per channel. A bit overkill with these efficient speakers but its what I had before the speaker upgrade. Reference level on my set up with the Acoustech is -26 on the dial so plenty of headroom. My old speakers where Wharfedale Diamond 8's. A very prestigious speaker line out of England. I am here to tell you the Acoustech blow them away in every respect. Grossly more efficient (84db vs 95db give or take on the Acoustech's) and much better imaging and crisp powerful but not overwhelming high's. The Wharfedales always sounded kind of bland and honky and it took a lot of power to make them dance. The Acoustech HT-100 sub kicks some serious bass as well. It may not be the bass king out there but its by far the most powerful sub I have owned.

Since the original 5.1 system purchase I have added a 2nd sub. You don't always get more bass but it does smooth out the standing waves. So you get a much cleaner and smooth bass response. Also also added another set of surround speakers for 7.1 capability.

I like the concept of larger front speakers they are making now. Because I live in a condo and depending on what movies I am watching and the time I can't always run the subwoofers (upsets the neighbors). A bit more bass response from the stage speakers would be nice. Since they are affordable I might try the new HT-88's and the matching center soon. However surprisingly when called for the HT-75 tower speakers can put out a fair amount of bass if needed.

Thumbs up to the dealer out of Las Vegas as well. He answered all my questions quickly and told me they were in stock no problem. They were already to ship as soon as payment is received. They shipped that day or next morning and I had the complete setup in 2 days.

BTW, I work in the movie industry and have connections at Klipsch. I can buy Klipsch speakers at wholesale prices. However even the wholesale price on the Reference Series is still way more then these speakers. Since my home theater budget can be limited at times I decided to give the Acoustech's a shot. I don't regret it one little bit. Even friends with Klipsch Reference Series speakers are blown away by my Acoustech's.

My Wharfedales were donated to a good friend in need. Its a permanent loan deal where I can get them back if I wanted but I don't think I will ever do that. Those speakers will make me ill if I listen to them again.
post #51 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One thing i noticed about the HT-85 is that the engineers that made it seemed to have toned down the horn on it a bit over the HT-88s. When running 5 channel stereo, if the center speaker seems to not produce as much treble even though the drivers are supposed to be identical... they may have tweaked the crossover in them to accomodate dialog, or it could just be my receiver (I've got the EQ running the same across all the speakers), i havnt swapped out the speaker to a different channel yet to see if thats what it is, but i kinda wish that the HT-85 had the same treble output as the 88's and the 75's.
post #52 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM

longhaul,do you use the ht63's for surrounds and if so how do you like them?I plan on buying these but I can't help but wonder if BIC will introduce new surrounds since they have new towers and center,or perhaps even a new(15 inch maybe?)subwoofer.
post #53 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

longhaul,do you use the ht63's for surrounds and if so how do you like them?I plan on buying these but I can't help but wonder if BIC will introduce new surrounds since they have new towers and center,or perhaps even a new(15 inch maybe?)subwoofer.

I use the HT-63's for the surrounds. I like them a lot and they do a good job of dispersing the surround information. I can never pin point the direction of the sound specifically and thats how this type of speaker should be. I am of the school of thought that even though Dolby Digital can have split surrounds you still don't want them to be directional. You still want to fill the room with surround information and not pinpoint the speaker specifically.

I was wondering myself if they would be coming out with new surround speakers with the new 8" driver. It would make a lot sense that they would. I bet they will soon.

A 15" subwoofer WOW!! That would be cool!!

I doubt I would opt for a 15" sub out of respect for my neighbors. A 15" would likely rattle pictures off the walls in neighboring units. 2nd thought it would be fun to fire it up anyway when everybody else is at work..LOL
post #54 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info longhaul.I too will eventually go 7.1.I'm still loving my 88s,
I very rarely listen to music or movies loud,but a few days ago I watched Hitman and decided to see just how well they sounded being played at a level I consider loud and could not believe how much bass they produced, with great impact.Ive never heard the 75s to compare them to but from what lilmike says they sound pretty much identical except the 88s have better bass output,makes sense.I probably will wait a bit for the surrounds,just in case they make one with the new 8 in. driver.Thanks to lilmike for taking the time to post his opinion and pics because this thread did influence my decision and these speakers do deserve the attention.
post #55 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Corey... I've had some of the same questions about what might be coming down the pipeline because of the new HT-88's and 85. I wasnt really interested in the rears because, as you know, i'm using the smaller towers, BUT the thought of them coming out with a new higher output subwoofer had crossed my mind. So, for you and anyone else interested, i've contacted them regarding these items and should hear back from them soon. Also, thanks longhaul for adding to the thread and answering my PMs before I made my purchases.
post #56 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

lilmike,

Thank you for your response. Pretty soon your thread will have to be the Official BIC thread. Too bad not enough people give these little guys enough respect. Now, I will always be wondering if I could of save myself $2k by going this direction and still be just as happy as I am with my Rockets.
post #57 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Corey... I've had some of the same questions about what might be coming down the pipeline because of the new HT-88's and 85. I wasnt really interested in the rears because, as you know, i'm using the smaller towers, BUT the thought of them coming out with a new higher output subwoofer had crossed my mind. So, for you and anyone else interested, i've contacted them regarding these items and should hear back from them soon. Also, thanks longhaul for adding to the thread and answering my PMs before I made my purchases.

It would be especially great if they made a higher power sub,but I would like to see both.My room is not quite as big as yours(18X21X9),and the h100 would probably suffice for me,as I said earlier I rarely listen at very loud volume.I know most people will say that the h100 is not enough sub for that size room but I just came from a sony sub(saw-1200 I think) and believe it or not the output was enough for me,could've sounded better but I was fairly happy with it.I've never heard the h100 so I really don't know how much bass to expect but I'm sure it's an upgrade from what I had.I would love to have a castle or an A5-350 but I just can't spend that much at this time.
post #58 of 4647 Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Just got done screening the Will Smith Movie I am Legend on Blu Ray. Because its evening I had to turn off the subs. This meant that the HT-75's and to a lesser extent the HT-65 center would be handling the low frequencies. A lot of details in the audio track with this movie and the Acoustech speakers did not disappoint. Also 3 scenes in this movie are loaded with some seriously low bass and amazingly my HT-75's kept up. Not like with the subwoofer on but no problem putting out bass I can feel. Only scene that caused an odd situation was towards the end (caution spoiler) when Neville blows himself up so Anna can get away. The bass was very tight and clean but then for a split second the bass completely disappeared and the sound for the most part was muted. It was like the bass frequencies dropped below what the speaker can produce. Not just a little bit but completely. This could very well be the case. However its also possible that these speakers have an aggressive internal crossover that completely filters out frequencies below a certain point. This is not a bad thing since it protects the speakers. The bad thing about is it keeps the speaker from producing frequencies below a certain point even at safe volume levels. Usually crossovers roll off to prevent this. Of coarse it could all be in my head and how its mixed as well. Others should give it a shot and see if they notice it as well. In a few days I will try it with the subs on. That will be a treat!!
post #59 of 4647 Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Does anyone know anything about the construction materials of the tweeter and woofers for the HT-75/88 series? The Bic website just states the tweeter has a neodymium magnet, and the woofers are poly-injected (or graphite-injected depending on where you look).

What is the difference between poly-injected and graphite injected, if any?
post #60 of 4647 Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok just got word from BIC America... I spoke with one of the people that deal with future products and she was very helpful and had a lot to say.

1. Corey, unfortunately, they will not be creating the matching rears for the HT-88's. So feel free to get the HT-63's or for about 50 bucks extra you can get the HT-75's towers like i did .

2. A new subwoofer will be out in about 5 months called the H200. It will still be a 12" Driver but will be tuned lower and have a much more powerful amp.

3. I was blown away to know that they are coming out with a new Acoustech line of speakers. They said that pretty much the only difference in these speakers will be the color of the drivers and the look of the cabinet. All of the drivers will be the same as the current drivers. Since the drivers are all the same and the look will be the only difference, i wasnt too upset because i really like the looks of the current acoustechs anyway. They also have no plans to increase the sizes of any of the drivers. They are still going to offer all the current acoustech products when the new line becomes available as well.

No word on any prices... sorry
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page