Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

For people thinking of a receiver for these speakers, unless you have a PS3 for Blu-ray or a Blu-ray player that can decode to lpcm, I would highly suggest a receiver that can decode DTS MA and TrueHD. Onkyo 606 is the cheapest right now, and is my recommendation for the budget minded...

I hear what you're saying. I agree that the 606 is a great receiver for the $, but I'm really not sure I need it. I have an open floor plan and I'm trying to integrate HT into a great room without making it too noticeable. This room is only wired for 5.1 and I have no intentions of running wires for 7.1 setup.

Do I really need an Onkyo 606 right now? I'm in a new home and my ultimate goal is to finish the basement within 5 years and in the process create a real HT room using a projector, huge screen, 7.1 surround, etc.

I'm leaning towards the Pio VSX-918. It's capable of PCM via HDMI, so it would work well with Blu-ray or PS3, if I buy one in the near future. The built-in iPod dock will be much appreciated by my better half as well and I can get it for $242 at Newegg w/live.com 3% off. I realize I could spend the money now to become future-proof, however, I plan on buying an additional receiver in the future so I can have surround sound both on the 1st floor and in the basement. Who knows, maybe I'll even setup surround sound in the master bedroom. On top of that, I figure technology is only going to get better in 5 years, so why not wait until then to buy a really good receiver for my HT room?

I need to decide soon, because my Acoustech's should be arriving early next week. Feels like Xmas has come early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen View Post

I hear what you're saying. I agree that the 606 is a great receiver for the $, but I'm really not sure I need it. I have an open floor plan and I'm trying to integrate HT into a great room without making it too noticeable. This room is only wired for 5.1 and I have no intentions of running wires for 7.1 setup.

Do I really need an Onkyo 606 right now? I'm in a new home and my ultimate goal is to finish the basement within 5 years and in the process create a real HT room using a projector, huge screen, 7.1 surround, etc.

I'm leaning towards the Pio VSX-918. It's capable of PCM via HDMI, so it would work well with Blu-ray or PS3, if I buy one in the near future. The built-in iPod dock will be much appreciated by my better half as well and I can get it for $242 at Newegg w/live.com 3% off. I realize I could spend the money now to become future-proof, however, I plan on buying an additional receiver in the future so I can have surround sound both on the 1st floor and in the basement. Who knows, maybe I'll even setup surround sound in the master bedroom. On top of that, I figure technology is only going to get better in 5 years, so why not wait until then to buy a really good receiver for my HT room?

I need to decide soon, because my Acoustech's should be arriving early next week. Feels like Xmas has come early

IMHO it is always good to buy future proof AV equipment. The way I see it, you will eventually be spending more money to catch up with the new techs, when you can save now and for the future. In the end you would end up spending almost $600 when you could spend only $320 now.
It's like spending $250 for a DVD player when Blu-ray is the future.

The 606 can be adjusted for use with 5.1 setup. You don't have to use it as 7.1 system. The 2 extra speakers can be turned off in the 606's setup menu until you decide to upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.
post #813 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I'm leaning towards the Pio VSX-918.

One advantage the Onkyo 606 has over the Pioneer is 2 more HDMI ports. Everything is going HDMI nowadays, DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, DVD, Popcorn Hour, etc. and the HDMI ports on your TV might not be enough to accomodate all that. Having 4 instead of 2 ports on your receiver is a big plus.

That was one of the reasons I bought it. I have 4 components with HDMI out but my TV only has 2 in.
post #814 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 PM

I purchased my HT-64, HT-65, HT-63 set from Eric at www.sounddistributors.com. He gave me an excellent quote, significantly below their ebay prices and shipped the next day. Great customer service.
post #815 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post

One advantage the Onkyo 606 has over the Pioneer is 2 more HDMI ports. Everything is going HDMI nowadays, DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, DVD, Popcorn Hour, etc. and the HDMI ports on your TV might not be enough to accomodate all that. Having 4 instead of 2 ports on your receiver is a big plus.

That was one of the reasons I bought it. I have 4 components with HDMI out but my TV only has 2 in.

why would anyone have a home theater receiver and then hook up hdmi components directly to the tv ?? isnt that defeating the purpose of the ht receiver ?
post #816 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

why would anyone have a home theater receiver and then hook up hdmi components directly to the tv ?? isnt that defeating the purpose of the ht receiver ?

I have a projector that has to use a DVI to HDMI cable and Sony receivers do not support that. I ended up losing all my sound to my HD DVD player and HD DVR, now I have to run optical and coaxial to get sound, no more HDMI switching. I hate Sony, there remote/IR range sucks major ass too.
post #817 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

IMHO it is always good to buy future proof AV equipment. The way I see it, you will eventually be spending more money to catch up with the new techs, when you can save now and for the future. In the end you would end up spending almost $600 when you could spend only $320 now.
It's like spending $250 for a DVD player when Blu-ray is the future.

The 606 can be adjusted for use with 5.1 setup. You don't have to use it as 7.1 system. The 2 extra speakers can be turned off in the 606's setup menu until you decide to upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

Where can I get the 606 for only $320? Lowest price right now is over $340.

My main concerns with this unit is heat, video switching delay, and unnecessary features. Blu-ray is in no way the certain future of Hi-Def. Yeah, it beat out HD-DVD, but d/l'able media seems like the future. Frankly, I'm happy with the HD content via DirecTV for now. DVD's still look and sound pretty good. BD's are too expensive. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I don't want to cut holes in my entertainment console and install fans, etc. I will, if I ultimately have to, but I'd rather avoid it.

Next year, something better will come out. Just like the 605 getting bested by the 606. Think about that happening 5 times over... Besides, I'll need more than one unit in the future. There's always something better for more $, but you have to find a limit somewhere. If you had to choose between the Pio 918 or the Onkyo 506, what would you choose for my setup (in terms of features/sound quality to match with the Acoustechs)?

btw, I really appreciate your replies and respect your opinions. thanks.
post #818 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

In my HT room I have an older Onkyo TX-NR900 which doesn't have HDMI inputs. So I run optical audio into the receiver and HDMI video into the TV.

In the bedroom I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 and run HDMI through the receiver to the TV.
post #819 of 4647 Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post

I purchased my HT-64, HT-65, HT-63 set from Eric at www.sounddistributors.com. He gave me an excellent quote, significantly below their ebay prices and shipped the next day. Great customer service.

Same here. Eric was a wonderful guy to deal with. Highly recommended.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
post #820 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where can I get the 606 for only $320? Lowest price right now is over $340.

My main concerns with this unit is heat, video switching delay, and unnecessary features. Blu-ray is in no way the certain future of Hi-Def. Yeah, it beat out HD-DVD, but d/l'able media seems like the future. Frankly, I'm happy with the HD content via DirecTV for now. DVD's still look and sound pretty good. BD's are too expensive. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I don't want to cut holes in my entertainment console and install fans, etc. I will, if I ultimately have to, but I'd rather avoid it.

Next year, something better will come out. Just like the 605 getting bested by the 606. Think about that happening 5 times over... Besides, I'll need more than one unit in the future. There's always something better for more $, but you have to find a limit somewhere. If you had to choose between the Pio 918 or the Onkyo 506, what would you choose for my setup (in terms of features/sound quality to match with the Acoustechs)?

btw, I really appreciate your replies and respect your opinions. thanks.

I don't know where you are getting this "over heating" info from, but I have the 705 and I don't have any heating issues.
post #821 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 AM

7.1 setup with ht 63 and ht 64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to a rear door the HT63's will not fit on my back wall where I pre-wired, the HT64 would fit or should I put the HT 63's on the sidewall about 2 feet from back wall? I would still use HT 63's for the side surrounds. I wired for the rear surrounds to be in either place, but I would like to order only once. Is anyone using this setup or have any thoughts? The other option would be to mount the HT 63's just above the door and angle down somehow.
post #822 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntart View Post

Due to a rear door the HT63's will not fit on my back wall where I pre-wired, the HT64 would fit or should I put the HT 63's on the sidewall about 2 feet from back wall? I would still use HT 63's for the side surrounds. I wired for the rear surrounds to be in either place, but I would like to order only once. Is anyone using this setup or have any thoughts? The other option would be to mount the HT 63's just above the door and angle down somehow.

I would put the 63s on the side and get 64s for the rear.
post #823 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know where you are getting this "over heating" info from, but I have the 705 and I don't have any heating issues.

there's dozens of post here on AVS that reference the over heating issue with the recent Onkyo line of AVR's..
..Any way..IMO In order to get the full appreciation of BIC speakers any new avr purchase has to include a unit that decodes lossless audio..
post #824 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In a thread I made most people said lossless audio is a slim to none difference....just sayin...

PLEASE HELP
Guys I'm really on the fence about what system to go with!! I've got a guy that will sell me his HT-88's and 63's, then I'd get the Onkyo 506 and call it a day. I'd be w/o a center though but i'd be around $600 for this setup. I keep saying yeh thats good and then i'll add a center later on when I have money to spare but im just not sure!! Im a junior in college and live in a condo. My neighbor said he can hear me playing Call of Duty 4 and thats just straight from my TV...even though its loud b/c the speakers are on the back of the tv (samsung PN50A550 Plasma). Im just thinking that I dont need this much speaker and I rarely ever have parties at my house b/c I like to keep it nice. Its about a 900sq. ft condo thats decently open. Living room is quite large and opens into the kitchen. I keep saying for $600 i'd be hard pressed to find something better but sometimes im just telling myself to get like the Onkyo 908 HTIB thats a 7.1 channel and stuff. I'd be set with the and its like $550 shipped. Yeh the speakers are small and **** but the sub is decent sized (230 watt...they say lol) but thats the whole reason I sold my pioneer HTIB was b/c it was tiny sounding and didnt get loud or sound good with music at all. Ahh! I just dont know what to do. I mean honestly, I dont listen to music "that" much...mainly just gaming and movies/tv watching. I just hate spending money b/c when I do im broke. I save and save then I blow it all on one thing haha. PLEASE help me reason guys!!! Im in need....

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #825 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

In a thread I made most people said lossless audio is a slim to none difference....just sayin...

PLEASE HELP
Guys I'm really on the fence about what system to go with!! I've got a guy that will sell me his HT-88's and 63's, then I'd get the Onkyo 506 and call it a day. I'd be w/o a center though but i'd be around $600 for this setup. I keep saying yeh thats good and then i'll add a center later on when I have money to spare but im just not sure!! Im a junior in college and live in a condo. My neighbor said he can hear me playing Call of Duty 4 and thats just straight from my TV...even though its loud b/c the speakers are on the back of the tv (samsung PN50A550 Plasma). Im just thinking that I dont need this much speaker and I rarely ever have parties at my house b/c I like to keep it nice. Its about a 900sq. ft condo thats decently open. Living room is quite large and opens into the kitchen. I keep saying for $600 i'd be hard pressed to find something better but sometimes im just telling myself to get like the Onkyo 908 HTIB thats a 7.1 channel and stuff. I'd be set with the and its like $550 shipped. Yeh the speakers are small and **** but the sub is decent sized (230 watt...they say lol) but thats the whole reason I sold my pioneer HTIB was b/c it was tiny sounding and didnt get loud or sound good with music at all. Ahh! I just dont know what to do. I mean honestly, I dont listen to music "that" much...mainly just gaming and movies/tv watching. I just hate spending money b/c when I do im broke. I save and save then I blow it all on one thing haha. PLEASE help me reason guys!!! Im in need....

I have one advice for you: STAY AWAY FROM THE ONKYO HTIB!!!!!
I had one of those which I paid almost $900 for! I have spent the past year and a half trying to undo the mistake. The sub is utter CRAP! It has no power and it pops when you play deep bass. STAY AWAY FROM IT!

Buy the 88 and 63 from your friend (If you can pick it up physically---not shipped). And get an Onkyo 606 or a 605 and you will be set.
post #826 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Okay well thats good news! This is all local too and basically brand new he says, only a few weeks old or something. Im just starting to think that maybe if I went w/ bookshelfs it would save me money. I dont need something crazy loud but I wont be getting a sub so thats where I think the 88's would be nice to have for that extra UMPH! that i'll be missing. I've thought about just going with 2 sets of polk monitor 40's or M50's up front and M40's out back and a CS1 or CS2 and it'd be a little cheaper than just the 88's and 63's. Plus i've never heard these and the guy say's they aren't hooked up b/c his receiver isn't here yet (ordered a Pio Elite).

When I game and watch movies..isn't the center channel one of the most important. For sounds and stuff. Well atleast for Movies. How much will I miss it with sounds coming out of my speakers, basically a phantom center for awhile.

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #827 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Okay well thats good news! This is all local too and basically brand new he says, only a few weeks old or something. Im just starting to think that maybe if I went w/ bookshelfs it would save me money. I dont need something crazy loud but I wont be getting a sub so thats where I think the 88's would be nice to have for that extra UMPH! that i'll be missing. I've thought about just going with 2 sets of polk monitor 40's or M50's up front and M40's out back and a CS1 or CS2 and it'd be a little cheaper than just the 88's and 63's. Plus i've never heard these and the guy say's they aren't hooked up b/c his receiver isn't here yet (ordered a Pio Elite).

When I game and watch movies..isn't the center channel one of the most important. For sounds and stuff. Well atleast for Movies. How much will I miss it with sounds coming out of my speakers, basically a phantom center for awhile.

Call this number, and ask for (By name): Mike Embers
www.acousticsounddesign.com
888-224-3663

You will be able to get your entire 5.0 (Without the sub) system for under $530 delivered.

1 Pair HT-75 (Which is more than you need. It has great bass)
1 Pair of HT-63 surrounds
1 Ht-65 center.

Tell him an AVS member sent you.
These speakers handle bass so well that my $1500 of HSU subs do not come on untill they are needed.
post #828 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:

I think he can do better than that. This is what I paid:

HT-75 3 pairs = 750 delivered. (250 a pair delivered)
HT-65 Center = 109 delivered.

DId you get them from acoustic sound design? Cause that means you low balled them lower then me. Great company by the way.
post #829 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Got my speakers and unit installed and unboxed today. The build quality, as shown in earlier photos, is amazing. The lacquer finishes are like liquid. Beautiful drivers, cabinets, and connection posts.

Would you consider this a HTIB? NOPE!!!!

14 Gauge is more than enough, I went shopping for wire and Lowes had 12 Gauge but I consider overkill for anything over 150 watts, even with long runs. I assure you 14 is perfect.

MY LIVING ROOM

HT-75 is absolutely amazing. The highs are not "pingy, sharp, bright, etc" They are perfect. Depending on the surround mode they can be made to produce awesome bass-mid range.

All I can say is wow, I have the surround on -10 db and stuff is still shaking off the wall. My room is 20x15 and it is more then enough. The bass can be heard resonating into the 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. This subwoofer would be good for huge rooms. I have vaulted ceilings; you are filled with Low Frequency Goodness in every room.

Every voice, every shot is crisp and clear out of the HT-65 Center Channel, I know many have mentioned the larger 8inch models along with the HT-85's, but I dont believe they are needed unless you dont have a subwoofer to pic up the low end or you have a GINORMOUS room.

My Humble setup. PS2 (optical digital out), DVD (Coax digital out), Digital Sat (Optical digital out), All digital audio inputs to the receiver running DTS, Dolby Digital, and for the Games Dolby PLII Game mode is freaking awesome! I know my stuff is a few years behind the newest stuff but I do have HDMI and 1080i for my TV so I have HDTV but my only source at this point is my upscaled DVD's. I can tell you I am extremely pleased with my 5.1 at this point. 7.1 is in my future and I will have a post here for that in the near...
post #830 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphavictor View Post

DId you get them from acoustic sound design? Cause that means you low balled them lower then me. Great company by the way.

Oh yes. But I talk directly to Mike Embers, he gives the best deals, and he is a straight up guy.

I bought 3 pairs of HT-75, and an HT-65 center from him for $859 delivered.
post #831 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

alphavictor congrats on the setup! I'm glad you're happy with your speakers Be sure to give them 10 hrs or so to really break them in. The horns get more detailed after the break in and the sub pounds harder... you like Like the marantz by the way. They are definately a solid producer of receivers. I've still been debating on a new receiver but am happy with my 7 or so yr old Pioneer. It was a pretty high end one at the time so its not too out dated... still has Optical inputs and DTS. Let me know how the marantz is with these speakers.
post #832 of 4647 Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 PM

I got on ebay and made offers and the following was accepted.

ht65 $115 offer + $1 sh= $116
ht75s $220 offer + $50 sh= $270
ht63s $135 offer + free = $135 = $521 shipped

I got the 65 and 75s from sound distributors and the 63s from acoustic sound design.
post #833 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

My poor pathetic sony receiver pre-dates pro-logic. I bought it in 1992.
post #834 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

WOW. Just stumbled on AUDIOQUEST cables in looking up cables online to see if my speaker wire would be adequate.

There are no words..

OMG

I went to their website and downloaded the PDF pricelist..the Everest line was conspicuosly missing. :0
post #835 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike2069 View Post

alphavictor congrats on the setup! I'm glad you're happy with your speakers Be sure to give them 10 hrs or so to really break them in. The horns get more detailed after the break in and the sub pounds harder... you like Like the marantz by the way. They are definately a solid producer of receivers. I've still been debating on a new receiver but am happy with my 7 or so yr old Pioneer. It was a pretty high end one at the time so its not too out dated... still has Optical inputs and DTS. Let me know how the marantz is with these speakers.

Thank you for the thread. The speakers truely are awesome. Thanks for the comments on the Marantz, It is a great receiver. There is no echo or "hall" effects just pure awesome digital sound. The Marantz loves these speakers. The amplifier is a true 80 watts per channel. Its discrete and clear. I really want to crank it but I want the speakers to break in and my wife to be out of the house before i do that. I need two more speakers by the way for the 7.1 to sound proper. I may go ahead and order the additional rears and set them on the end tables. The Marantz hands down is a solid product. Alluminum brushed face, SOLID steel enclosure, and the rear inputs/outputs are simply awesome for such a cheap priced amp. Love it!

EDIT: Oh I forgot one thing, the receiver doesnt upconvert from component video so I had to run a seperate cable just for that due to the PS2 having only a yellow component video cable. NOW on the other HAND! The S-Video is auto upconverted to the higher quality so the picuture is great with S-Video, The HDMI gets its audio signal for the reciever but the output has to have a DVI or HDMI input (my HDTV does!) So I am running HDTV but only with the HDTV sources such as the DVD player otherwise it is optical digital only. I know its confusing but if you can get the reciever to upconvert everything if you can. Other wise you will have to buy a DVD or other device to upconvert to 1080i or 1080p outside the receiver. In my case it works for me and my hardware. Be sure it works for you or spend a little more for the upconvert unit.
post #836 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvram View Post

alphavictor, great pics!! I'm so jealous. My speakers should be coming in later this week and I can't wait. I'll have to post some pics of my setup as well. I can't wait to have a real surround setup again. My poor pathetic sony receiver pre-dates pro-logic. I bought it in 1992.

I was smiling ear to ear when I played 007's Casino Royale the other night, this thing is awesome in DOLBY EX/DTS ES. 6.1 is amazing!
post #837 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

had a question about my HT-8C's ceiling mount speakers. should i add a 2nd layer of 1/2" sheetrock in the mounting locations to add extra mass to the mounting surface??
post #838 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Couple of questions..do you need banana clips to hook these up to a SR606? I was reading the pdf online (I know..ocd..I don't even own the 606 yet) and saw something about bi-amp setups? Does that have any bearing at all on setting up the bic speakers?

I have 16 gauge wire I bought from monoprice I'm planning to use. I think its going to be fine..My room is 12x12 so the longest cables I will run will 10-12 feet I'm guessing to the rear surrounds.
post #839 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvram View Post

Couple of questions..do you need banana clips to hook these up to a SR606? I was reading the pdf online (I know..ocd..I don't even own the 606 yet) and saw something about bi-amp setups? Does that have any bearing at all on setting up the bic speakers?

I have 16 gauge wire I bought from monoprice I'm planning to use. I think its going to be fine..My room is 12x12 so the longest cables I will run will 10-12 feet I'm guessing to the rear surrounds.

wire size depends on power being delivered. my rule is to use 14 or 12ga zip cord wire up to 50ft @ 150w rms, anything more than that i would use 10ga. i find that for most applications using standard zip cord works fine. i had stumbled upon a roll of RCA brand 14ga speaker wire from Home Depot about a year ago. it was priced well. what i liked about the RCA wire was it had thick clear insulation, fine stranded wire, and it was very flexible.

you can calculate your wire's power loss. check out http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm, but let me note the chart on this link is not telling you the whole story, its just a guideline. 8ohm @ 50w is much different than 8ohm @ 300w !! hence i like to use "power" as the metric for gauge distance, not speaker impedance....

dont be fooled by Monster cable, or other cable that claims pure audio delivery. only very sensitive bench equipment can "see" such claims, and your ears are far from being sensitive test gear, etc.
post #840 of 4647 Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM

anyone have any recs for mounting the ht-65 center above my lcd? I was initially thinking a wall shelf from lowes or hd, but i read a thread about these btech bracket mounts, similair idea, for $30...?

what have you guys done? ( I wish it fit on/under my Tv Console!)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page