BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for checking on that lilmike,I'm pretty surprised too about the acoustechs having a new look,especially considering the 88 and 85 are so new.I wonder how the new sub will look and if the increased performance would be worth waiting for.Are you still considering a second h100 for your room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I do believe that HSU Research does the design work on the BIC speakers and subs. Hsu can be seen at http://www.hsuresearch.com/.

Bill
post #63 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM

The horn in the hb1 looks just like the acoustechs and given the speakers width of 8 inches the size looks to be the same.
post #64 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike2069 View Post

The prices i paid were posted in one of my replies, but i think everything (H100 Sub, Pair HT88s, HT85 Center, and pair HT-75's) was about 1275 after tax shipping and everything. If I got a pair of HT-75s for the front instead of the HT-88's and the HT-65 center instead of the HT-85 center, it would have save right at 400, so with that setup i think it would be about 875 shipping and all.

I'm very interested in this speaker set. Do you think there'd be a huge difference if I got the 65 center and the 75s for the front instead of the 85 center and 88s for the front? It's a lot less $$
post #65 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM

For those that are torn between this BIC setup and the Klipsch Synergy & Reference series, here's an awesome review of the three. Apparently, the BIC blew the Klipsch's out of the water!

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html
post #66 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had the set for a couple years now... (the 65, 75 fronts, and 63 rears). I agree they're quality speakers (build and sound)

It wasn't until i got my Onkyo 605 that they really shined. Apparently the Audessy 2EQ equalizer + mic is supposed to equalize to a flat response. After I did this, my horns got nice and bright/crisp. (It definately gets your attention, and I guess i was losing treble in my room without EQ)

I suggest listening to some lossless soundtracks with these guys. Two scenes in Spiderman 3 -- early scene where the hobgoblin is chasing spiderman through the city on his hoverboard, and a late scene where spiderman traps venom with metal bars and bangs them to create deafening metal clangs.

I really should find my camera and post some pics.
post #67 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

Thanks for checking on that lilmike,I'm pretty surprised too about the acoustechs having a new look,especially considering the 88 and 85 are so new.I wonder how the new sub will look and if the increased performance would be worth waiting for.Are you still considering a second h100 for your room?

I think i'll stick with the single H100 for now, in most cases the output is adequate for watching movies and even listening to music at reasonable volume... its just when i get a wild hair and want to crank it up that i want more power--usually on a friday or saturday night after a few beers But i'll definately be hawk-eying the new H200 when its released in 5 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post

I'm very interested in this speaker set. Do you think there'd be a huge difference if I got the 65 center and the 75s for the front instead of the 85 center and 88s for the front? It's a lot less $$

If you got the H100 sub, i dont think you'd notice too much of a difference. You'll still get the full range of sound at VERY high volumes with no distortion. The reason I opted for the HT-88's and the HT-85 was mainly due to the size of my room and i figured i'd need all the help i could get to fill it up with sound. The HT-88's do provide much more bass output and a tad bit more warmth in the sound but I think I would have been just as happy if i hadnt heard the difference in the two.
post #68 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM

I hate to go another 5 months without subwoofage,but I would like to see what the h200 has to offer.I have heard nothing but good about the h100 so I'm sure it will be impressive.
post #69 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hate to go another 5 months without subwoofage,but I would like to see what the h200 has to offer.I have heard nothing but good about the h100 so I'm sure it will be impressive.

From what you've described in previous posts... I think the H100 would be plenty of sub for you. If my room wasnt so damn big, then it'd be plenty for me. I'm sure that the H200 will also have a higher price so keep that in consideration. My guess is it'll be along the lines of the HSU VTF-3 MK3 as far as specs based on what they told me and for the simple fact that the H100 was also designed with the help of the HSU engineers.
post #70 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:

From what you've described... I think the H100 would be plenty of sub for you. If my room wasnt so damn big, then it'd be plenty for me. I'm sure that the H200 will also have a higher price so keep that in consideration.

That's true,the sony is the only sub I ever owned,had it for about 7 years or so.I never had a single problem with it and it's still going strong today at a friends house.I never played it loud enough to bottom it out.I may just go with the h100 but I'll probably change my mind about 12 times before I do anything.
post #71 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok just got word from BIC America... I spoke with one of the people that deal with future products and she was very helpful and had a lot to say.

1. Corey, unfortunately, they will not be creating the matching rears for the HT-88's. So feel free to get the HT-63's or for about 50 bucks extra you can get the HT-75's towers like i did .

2. A new subwoofer will be out in about 5 months called the H200. It will still be a 12" Driver but will be tuned lower and have a much more powerful amp.

3. I was blown away to know that they are coming out with a new Acoustech line of speakers. They said that pretty much the only difference in these speakers will be the color of the drivers and the look of the cabinet. All of the drivers will be the same as the current drivers. Since the drivers are all the same and the look will be the only difference, i wasnt too upset because i really like the looks of the current acoustechs anyway. They also have no plans to increase the sizes of any of the drivers. They are still going to offer all the current acoustech products when the new line becomes available as well.

No word on any prices... sorry

Wow a new line with cosmetic changes. I am torn between being excited and kind of surprised. The current line looks very nice and a 2nd line seems like a waste of R&D dollars. When I look at my set of Acoustech's I don't ever think for second they are showing age. The design of the current set actually seems very conservative and will stand the test of time. Change is always good but I don't think its completely necessary to create a new line. I will reserve final judgement when the new line is released!!

I am excited to hear about the H-200. A bit more work on the porting cabinet R&D plus a more powerful amp and you can easily create a lot more bass. I have heard some seriously powerful 12 inch subs. The H-100 is no lightweight but I know its not the 12 inch bass king.

I am not the happiest hearing they will not be making new surrounds with matching 8" drivers for the new 8" front speakers. Now I know the HT-63's sonically match the new speakers and would work just fine but from a marketing point of view plus esthetic reasons they really should offer a new surround with an 8 inch driver. Its only more money for them. I was just thinking last night of jumping on the new 8" set as soon as they make a matching surround. Since it looks like they will not I don't think I will bother. I know its weird but I like matching drivers all around. Maybe in the new line they will have a matching set with 8" drivers?
post #72 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I am not the happiest hearing they will not be making new surrounds with matching 8" drivers for the new 8" front speakers. Now I know the HT-63's sonically match the new speakers and would work just fine but from a marketing point of view plus esthetic reasons they really should offer a new surround with an 8 inch driver. Its only more money for them. I was just thinking last night of jumping on the new 8" set as soon as they make a matching surround. Since it looks like they will not I don't think I will bother. I know its weird but I like matching drivers all around. Maybe in the new line they will have a matching set with 8" drivers?

I hear that...but yet, it's SO hard to pass these up! No one can compare in price vs. quality. You'd easily spend $1000 more on similar quality speakers...
post #73 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/...d=271&offset=2

Close enough. Just for surrounds anyways.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #74 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy View Post

http://www.bicacoustechspeakers.com/...d=271&offset=2

Close enough. Just for surrounds anyways.

I think you'd be better off with the HT-63's... they look better, they have the same frequency response, and the sensitivity on the 63's is much better and i'd be willing to bet that the clarity on the HT-63 is much better too.
post #75 of 4729 Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 PM

This may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find if these have binding posts for banana clip attachments...can anyone confirm? I'm totally amazed at the complete lack of reviews and promotion of these awesome speakers.
post #76 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:

This may be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find if these have binding posts for banana clip attachments...can anyone confirm? I'm totally amazed at the complete lack of reviews and promotion of these awesome speakers.

They do have binding posts,look at the picture of the ht85 center on page 1
post #77 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:

They do have binding posts,look at the picture of the ht85 center on page 1

Looked more closely - you're right. Awesome.

Lilmike - I have the same room size as you, so I'm leaning towards the 88s and 85 in the front and center as opposed to the 75s and 65. I have the same feelings as you thinking that the H-100 isn't enough sub for such a large room. I'm debating between getting two, or going with something like an HSU STF-3 or SVS PB10 for the same price as two H-100s. Or maybe waiting to see what the H-200 looks like.

Did anyone use an SPL meter for calibration?

Currently I have the Klipsch Quintet II and KSW-10 sub. I have the Onkyo 605 which is great, but the Klipschs underwhelm me in such a large room. I've been debating because I'd be dropping a grand on these Bics, but from these reviews it seems to be worth it. Now I just need to find the space to put them You guys are awesome for starting this thread!
post #78 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looked more closely - you're right. Awesome.

Lilmike - I have the same room size as you, so I'm leaning towards the 88s and 85 in the front and center as opposed to the 75s and 65. I have the same feelings as you thinking that the H-100 isn't enough sub for such a large room. I'm debating between getting two, or going with something like an HSU STF-3 or SVS PB10 for the same price as two H-100s. Or maybe waiting to see what the H-200 looks like.

Did anyone use an SPL meter for calibration?

Currently I have the Klipsch Quintet II and KSW-10 sub. I have the Onkyo 605 which is great, but the Klipschs underwhelm me in such a large room. I've been debating because I'd be dropping a grand on these Bics, but from these reviews it seems to be worth it. Now I just need to find the space to put them You guys are awesome for starting this thread!

If you are decently happy with the KSW-10 sub then you will be happy with a single H100 because the H100 outperforms the KSW-10 by a bit. If you're a bass-head then you should probably find a different sub unless you're willing to go through the complications of a dual sub setup (wiring is no problem but sound waves can cancel and impact can be less if the sound from each isnt hitting you at the same time) i'm not really an expert with this but i think it would take a lot of trial and error. One sub getting a lot of attention is the AV123 MFW-15 which has a wait of about 4 months i think but is supposed to be well worth the money. It is one i am going to consider along side the H200 here 6 months from now.
Also, if the Quintet II's are the small bookshelf speakers, then it is no surprise to me that you find them underwhelming. I know that these BIC's are more expensive than your current setup, but you have to remember that when you step up to towers, especially towers with 8" drivers, they will be more expensive, and a $1000 bucks a pair is very very common, let alone a $1000 for an entire setup. I can understand the worry when it comes to not being able to hear them, i went through the same thing.
Also - thanks for the compliment

Forgot to add... i didnt use an SPL meter for calibration. I downloaded this signal sweep software:
http://www.download3000.com/download_23662.html
and ran it on my laptop. I then connected the laptop up to my receiver through the headphone jack and one of those Y-adapters. With the software, you can run frequency sweeps or you can have it output a specific frequency, so i just used that software and my ears to calibrate mine
post #79 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:

One sub getting a lot of attention is the AV123 MFW-15 which has a wait of about 4 months i think but is supposed to be well worth the money. It is one i am going to consider along side the H200 here 6 months from now.

Wow, a 120 lb sub for $600!! That thing must be a monster. You could probably use it as a coffee table And ETA of July...hmmm...so what to do in the meantime?
post #80 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Wow, a 120 lb sub for $600!! That thing must be a monster. You could probably use it as a coffee table And ETA of July...hmmm...so what to do in the meantime?

I have the same ordeal,I thought about buying something cheap to hold me over then move it to my bedroom when I get a replacement.
post #81 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sub IS A MONSTER. Go to www.********** and look at the pictures next to the Rockets. Trust me, Rocket 850 is NO small speaker. MFW 15 is currently a HOT SUB. Ranked very high on craigsub's shoot out. Go do a search and you'll see why it is hot and back ordered. av123 is going through A LOT of GROWTH so if you are going to order from them, you have to have a little patience.
post #82 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

That sub IS A MONSTER. Go to www.********** and look at the pictures next to the Rockets. Trust me, Rocket 850 is NO small speaker. MFW 15 is currently a HOT SUB. Ranked very high on craigsub's shoot out. Go do a search and you'll see why it is hot and back ordered. av123 is going through A LOT of GROWTH so if you are going to order from them, you have to have a little patience.

I'm sure it's amazing, but I could hardly justify $600 on a sub unless I had a ginormous dedicated home theater room. That's just me though... It'd be nice if there was a good sub in between the H-100 and the AV123, but the only one that comes close is the SVS PB-10 for $485 shipped, which isn't that close.

Getting back to the original post, I've been searching for days for good reviews on the Bic Acoustechs and have come up with literally nothing. Besides that review link from the guy selling these speakers on Ebay, I've found nothing. I read somewhere they're made in China? It's hard paying $1200 for a home theater setup that has very little info and reviews on it, but this thread has definitely helped. Can anyone think of any other set that would come close to price vs. quality as these Bics? I can't find any - none of the Klipschs can really compare when looking at the same kind of speaker for the same price.
post #83 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM

May I ask what is your room size?
Your setup is quite impressive. do you suggest this setup for my room size(18X13)? or do u think that is too much for my room size?
will be glad to hear from u.
post #84 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdoc View Post

May I ask what is your room size?
Your setup is quite impressive. do you suggest this setup for my room size(18X13)? or do u think that is too much for my room size?
will be glad to hear from u.

My room is 24'x26'x14' vaulted. Its really hard for me to say what is right for you, but i know for me that I wouldnt need that much speaker in an 18x13 room, and the single H100 would be plenty as well. It also depends on your budget. If you're on a really tight budget then I wouldnt even think twice about this package:

http://ww w.bicacoustechspeakers.com/closeup.asp?cid=188&pid=127&offset=0
Do a search on e bay, theres a couple guys that have regular auctions going for the setup for like $799. They also have the HT-88 Set for $1159. Both come with the sub.

They'll accept lower on a best offer... from my experience they'll accept between 80-85% of the asking.
post #85 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:

They'll accept lower on a best offer... from my experience they'll accept between 80-85% of the asking.

Yeah, I emailed the guy. For the less expensive HT-75 set, it'd be $899 shipping included. For the higher HT-88 set, it's $1199 shipping included.
post #86 of 4729 Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Getting back to the original post, I've been searching for days for good reviews on the Bic Acoustechs and have come up with literally nothing. Besides that review link from the guy selling these speakers on Ebay, I've found nothing. I read somewhere they're made in China? It's hard paying $1200 for a home theater setup that has very little info and reviews on it, but this thread has definitely helped. Can anyone think of any other set that would come close to price vs. quality as these Bics? I can't find any - none of the Klipschs can really compare when looking at the same kind of speaker for the same price.

As far as reviews go, you can find a few at other home theater forums such as www.audioholics.com, owners on amazon.com, and you just might have to google it. Yes, reviews are limited...especially the professional ones. Mainly a lot of reviews are from "owners" who are happy with the product. BIC America has been around for quite some time so they are not a noob in this industry.
post #87 of 4729 Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

One thing i noticed about the HT-85 is that the engineers that made it seemed to have toned down the horn on it a bit over the HT-88s. When running 5 channel stereo, if the center speaker seems to not produce as much treble even though the drivers are supposed to be identical... they may have tweaked the crossover in them to accomodate dialog, or it could just be my receiver (I've got the EQ running the same across all the speakers), i havnt swapped out the speaker to a different channel yet to see if thats what it is, but i kinda wish that the HT-85 had the same treble output as the 88's and the 75's.

Well i've spoken with the reps from BIC again, and it seems my suspicions were correct. They have supplied the HT-85's with a slightly different crossover than the 88's which tone down the brightness a bit for the dialog. I rather like the 'brighter' sound because to me it makes dialog not seem so muffled, so I am currently trying to have them swap out my crossover. They were more than willing to send me a replacement horn because they stock them, but they do not stock the crossovers, so we will see how that goes. Its not a huge difference in sound but I pay attention to details and am kinda picky like that. I assume the same situation for the HT-75's versus the HT-65's crossovers.

Ok well they still seem to think that what I perceive as a problem is a weak tweeter so they're sending a new one even though i'm pretty positive its just the different crossover is cutting off some of the higher frequencies... If that aint it... i'm-a gonna hunt me down an HT-88 crossover whether they think the 85 was designed for it or not!
post #88 of 4729 Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Well i've spoken with the reps from BIC again, and it seems my suspicions were correct. They have supplied the HT-85's with a slightly different crossover than the 88's which tone down the brightness a bit for the dialog. I rather like the 'brighter' sound because to me it makes dialog not seem so muffled, so I am currently trying to have them swap out my crossover.

So you were disappointed in the lack of brightness in the center channel? One of my main complaints with my current Klipsch Quintets is that the center channel sounds muddy with dialogue, so this is crucial for my next setup. Do you think it's the speaker, and that it's worth checking out something else?

In any event, I'm anxious to hear what comes of this situation.
post #89 of 4729 Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you were disappointed in the lack of brightness in the center channel? One of my main complaints with my current Klipsch Quintets is that the center channel sounds muddy with dialogue, so this is crucial for my next setup. Do you think it's the speaker, and that it's worth checking out something else?

In any event, I'm anxious to hear what comes of this situation.

I spoke with the guy today and he said if i'm hearing any difference at all in the treble output or general sound of the HT-85 compared to HT-88's, then i've either got a problem with my tweeter (which they shipped out yesterday, they are very fast and helpful, there were no problems at all when talking with these guys) and if that isnt it, then the crossover needs repaired, in which they will give me instructions how to handle that once we've tried the tweeter. They said the only reason that the crossovers are slightly different is because of the cabinet size and it being sealed so they needed the crossover for it to handle the lower frequencies a little different... the high frequencies are supposed to be handled the exact same. This, from my understanding, is an isolated incident and that the center should have the exact same brightness as the others. Truthfully, the brightness is still pretty good even with it in its 'not-so-prime' state right now, it would probably be just as bright as a lot of competitors, its just that right now, it isnt a 100% match to the towers (which is being fixed). With that said, I really dont think there would be any reason for concern if you're looking to these speakers. I would still say they are the best you can get for the money even before the center is fixed. They will still destroy your current setup with the Quintets if every single way possible . These guys are very helpful and easy to talk to. If you've got any other questions about the components or anything, then it wouldnt do you any harm to give them a call. 888-461-4628
post #90 of 4729 Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Well i spoke with the guy and he said if i'm hearing any difference at all in the treble output or general sound of the HT-85 compared to HT-88's, then i've either got a problem with my tweeter (which they shipped out yesterday, they are very fast and helpful, there were no problems at all when talking with these guys) and if that isnt it, then the crossover needs repaired, in which they will give me instructions how to handle that once we've tried the tweeter. They said the only reason that the crossovers are slightly different is because of the cabinet size and it being sealed so they needed the crossover for it to handle the lower frequencies a little different... the high frequencies are supposed to be handled the exact same. This, from my understanding, is an isolated incident and that the center should have the exact same brightness as the others. Truthfully, the brightness is still pretty good even with it in its 'not-so-prime' state right now, it would probably be just as bright as a lot of competitors, its just that right now, it isnt a 100% match to the towers (which is being fixed). With that said, I really dont think there would be any reason for concern if you're looking to these speakers. I would still say they are the best you can get for the money even before the center is fixed. They will still destroy your current setup with the Quintets if every single way possible . These guys are very helpful and easy to talk to. If you've got any other questions about the components or anything, then it wouldnt do you any harm to give them a call. 888-461-4628

I hate that you have to go through all that but Im glad it won't be an issue for anyone else(unless they get a bad tweeter too).I'm glad they're taking care of it with no hassle,let us know when you get the new one and if it gets fixed.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page