3Likes

post #1081 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon_Kid View Post

are they held in place by a screw to the bottom side of the post? if so those screws may be loose.

I'm also using the monoprice closed screw type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Any of you guys know where I can download or get the latest firmware for my Onkyo 705?

I think you would get a quicker answer if you posted the question in the Onkyo section.
post #1083 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 AM

Hey guys. My ht-63's will be coming next week, and placement is a bit of a concern in the meantime.

My couch is about 6 inches off of the back wall, where there is a bay window behind it. The window pretty much takes up the length of the couch. Should i wall mount the ht-63's on sides of the windows? I would be able to pick any height i wanted, but im worried about the lineup - they should be 90 degrees to my seating position, and they might fall a bit behind. This also depends on which part of the speaker should be parallel to my ear (the back of the speaker, or the farthest point).

My second options would be to get speaker stands, but it seems like the sanus stands are about 31" high? I'm not sure if this is too low.

I know my gf would like the wall mounting, as it would look better - but i am willing to do whatever sounds better.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. I was going to post pics of my setup soon, maybe ill throw up a pic of the back wall to show what I am talking about.
post #1084 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

I think you would get a quicker answer if you posted the question in the Onkyo section.

I did, those guys just ignore your posts.
post #1085 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalerno View Post

Hey guys. My ht-63's will be coming next week, and placement is a bit of a concern in the meantime.

My couch is about 6 inches off of the back wall, where there is a bay window behind it. The window pretty much takes up the length of the couch. Should i wall mount the ht-63's on sides of the windows? I would be able to pick any height i wanted, but im worried about the lineup - they should be 90 degrees to my seating position, and they might fall a bit behind. This also depends on which part of the speaker should be parallel to my ear (the back of the speaker, or the farthest point).

My second options would be to get speaker stands, but it seems like the sanus stands are about 31" high? I'm not sure if this is too low.

I know my gf would like the wall mounting, as it would look better - but i am willing to do whatever sounds better.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. I was going to post pics of my setup soon, maybe ill throw up a pic of the back wall to show what I am talking about.

I'm in the same situation as you and I would love to hear some options. I'll be ordering my speakers in Dec/Jan.
post #1086 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Any of you guys know where I can download or get the latest firmware for my Onkyo 705?

This is what I found:

http://63.148.251.142/download/firmw...re_replace.cfm
post #1087 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:

I would go with stands for now. The HT63 can be a little tricky at first to find the optimal angle and distance from your seating position. If you wall mount them you lost the flexability of moving them around to suite your preferences. Don't get me wrong lots of people wall mounted them with no issues but you have to make sure you have it at the right height and distance so it doesn't sound directional. The surrounds should really envelope you.

I went with these stands by Raxxess http://www.raxxess.com/product.asp?ID=226.

They come in either 36" or 42" They are one of the tallest speaker stands available and the top plate (where speaker sits) it probably the largest of any stand (12"x12") This is more than enough to support the HT63. The finish also complements the HT63s. If I didn't know any better I would have thought BIC made these stands.

I went with the 36" but now I kinf of wish I went with the 42". I'm still above ear level but I'm curious how much better it would sound being a few more inches higher. HTH
post #1088 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM

i'm leaning towards stands myself, but it doesnt seem like you can buy these stands online.

Would a 5x5 inch base be enough to hold these ht-63's?

Also - how did you position the speakers? Ive read a few different suggestions here - it seems i should point them at each other, but then does the tweeter side go closest to the tv, or vice versa?

**edit: i did find the raxxess stands for sale online, does $170 sound about right?
post #1089 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 01:04 PM

I purchased the stands here http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RAXSS36

$170 seems too high. Since the HT63s are 10" H x 14" W x 7 1/4" D I opted for the largest top plate available and the Raxxess seems to be the biggest out there. They are a bit pricey but very well worth the money. They are very very stable and I have mine setup on carpet. I plan on adding spikes in the near future.

For positioning I tried a number of combinations and so far I have the speaker completely parallel to my back wall with the horns of each speaker closer to the listener. You really don't want to face the horn at the listener as the sound can become directional. You want it to disperse and bounce off the surrounding walls. This will creating a much bigger surround field. It really takes lots of trial and error and patience. Play some of your favorite movies that you are very familiar with. I used the Matrix Reloaded for my purposes.

Your reciever will also play an important part and will need some tweaking as well. Once you get things dialed in you will be amazed.
post #1090 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94sw20 View Post

I purchased the stands here http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RAXSS36

$170 seems too high. Since the HT63s are 10" H x 14" W x 7 1/4" D I opted for the largest top plate available and the Raxxess seems to be the biggest out there. They are a bit pricey but very well worth the money. They are very very stable and I have mine setup on carpet. I plan on adding spikes in the near future.

For positioning I tried a number of combinations and so far I have the speaker completely parallel to my back wall with the horns of each speaker closer to the listener. You really don't want to face the horn at the listener as the sound can become directional. You want it to disperse and bounce off the surrounding walls. This will creating a much bigger surround field. It really takes lots of trial and error and patience. Play some of your favorite movies that you are very familiar with. I used the Matrix Reloaded for my purposes.

Your reciever will also play an important part and will need some tweaking as well. Once you get things dialed in you will be amazed.

Yeah, i imagine i'll have some fun playing with the sound on them. Thanks for your help.

Just for reference purposes, my receiver is an onkyo sr606

Does anyone have experience with DIY speaker stands? If i dont make them, ill probably go down this route (but man, for the speaker plus stand price i couldve gotten another pair of ht-75's )
post #1091 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM

I'm also using a 606 and love it. It complements the BICs very nicely. As for DIY stand I believe someone in this thread made some.
post #1092 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did, those guys just ignore your posts.

Yeah, see here now. You just hang out with us friendly guys over here on the bic thread. We don't need those 705 types sniffing around this thread, see?

post #1093 of 4696 Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvram View Post

yeah, see here now. You just hang out with us friendly guys over here on the bic thread. We don't need those 705 types sniffing around this thread, see?

lol.
post #1094 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota View Post

I just placed my order for the Bic VK-12 for $279 shipped! I can't wait to hear how it's going to sound. I hope it's as good as what I've been reading about the Bic products for a budget sub.

How did you get it for $279? Everything on ebay right now is $329...
post #1095 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:

I just spoke with Mike Embers at Acoustech and he gave me some insight as to the VK-12 sub.

THE VK-12 SUB IS NOT THE SAME AS THE HT-200 SUB THAT WILL BE RELEASED IN JAN.

***The VK-12 was being released to makeup for their LACK of HT-100 subs that would also not be available for some time--THEY'RE ON BACK ORDER.***

THE HT-200 SUB WILL BE RELEASED BY JAN. And it will have THE SAME AMP as the VK-12----The new HT-200 will have an ALL BLACK LOOK (NO COPPER WOOFER). Mike does not know what the frequency tunning for the HT-200 would be at this time (My guess is that it will be tuned lower for HT).
The only difference between the VK-12, would be the KEVLAR woofer that will only be available on the VK-12.

If you want to get the VK-12 right now, you can order it from the Acoustech distributor (from their warehouse, they are not available via Ebay yet) for a limited price of $279 delivered. Mike Embers
acousticsounddesign.com
888-224-3663

The VK-12 is also designed by Dr Hsu.

krk206s
you can call acoustic sound design direct and order it for $279, so I'm guessing $279 will be accepted as Make Offer through ebay dealers. I got mine for $230 after Microsoft cash back offer, buyitnow on ebay.
post #1096 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Hey guys, I just recently got some Polk front and center speakers (thanks to great advice on these forums) and have been looking at the h-100 to eventually add as a sub. Would either the VK-12 or soon-to-be released ht-200 probably match up well? Is there anything I should be looking for to make sure speakers technically match subs?

(For the record, I got the Polk Monitor 50 fronts and cs2 center, while pushing some old Bose bookshelves to surrounds for now).

-- Brief story to follow for "why I need a sub" --

I was showing off my speakers to some friends last night - none of them are really "into" A/V gear but they seemed impressed - and watching Lord of the Rings was great (we watched the Mines of Moria scenes)! But while we were watching, I could really feel where a sub would make that AMAZING! The new speakers were trying to produce sounds I didn't know even existed on the tracks before, but my fronts are obviously no match for a quality sub.
post #1097 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Mike told me the VK-12 and the HT-200 are much one and the same. The only difference is the cone material(Kevlar) and the name. Once the HT-200 goes on sale the price of the VK-12 will go back up in price.
post #1098 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Just so you know Best Offers aren't gonna work for cashback. They would have to set up a Buy it Now auction separately.
post #1099 of 4696 Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

Just so you know Best Offers aren't gonna work for cashback. They would have to set up a Buy it Now auction separately.

Yeah I tried the best offer thing, it didnt work but I did get 90 bucks back on my Marantz receiver.
post #1100 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 07:46 AM

Hi folks,
This is an awesome thread on the Acoustech line. I had a quick question about the actual weight of the center channel HT-85, which I'm planning to take to India for a home theater setup there. Given the weight restrictions on luggage, I wanted to find out whether the 28 lbs listed on the BicAmerica website is the actual or the shipping weight of the HT-85. Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Anitesh
post #1101 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitesh View Post

Hi folks,
This is an awesome thread on the Acoustech line. I had a quick question about the actual weight of the center channel HT-85, which I'm planning to take to India for a home theater setup there. Given the weight restrictions on luggage, I wanted to find out whether the 28 lbs listed on the BicAmerica website is the actual or the shipping weight of the HT-85. Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Anitesh

28 lbs is the actual weight.
post #1102 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 PM

So could it be said that the H-100 and the VK-12 will be about the same as far as sound quality and such. Because I am trying to decide what to get?
post #1103 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguy202 View Post

So could it be said that the H-100 and the VK-12 will be about the same as far as sound quality and such. Because I am trying to decide what to get?

No. The VK-12 is superior to the current H-100. It is rather, comparable to the soon to be released H-200
post #1104 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Hey guys - this went unanswered in the sr606 owners thread, but my question involves listening modes -

should the pre-sets be set to "last available"? Will this automatically pick a mode for me, or should i go in under presets and change "dolby digital" to dolby digital, etc - and if i should change them, does anyone have recommended modes?

thanks guys!
post #1105 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've been looking to upgrade my speakers for about a year now, and I have taken an interest in the BIC (thanks to this thread and forum). I just ordered the new VK-12 and was wondering what I should look at for next month's purchase. Are the HT-88s replacing the HT-75 towers? I'm thinking I would like to get a set of the HT-88s, what would compliment those towers for the rear channels in a 5.1 setup? Also, is the HT-85 center speaker an updated version of the HT-65?
post #1106 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey guys - this went unanswered in the sr606 owners thread, but my question involves listening modes -

should the pre-sets be set to "last available"? Will this automatically pick a mode for me, or should i go in under presets and change "dolby digital" to dolby digital, etc - and if i should change them, does anyone have recommended modes?

thanks guys!

If you have a 7.1 speaker setup, set everything to PLXII Movie.

But if you have a 5.1 setup, just leave it as it is.
post #1107 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I've been looking to upgrade my speakers for about a year now, and I have taken an interest in the BIC (thanks to this thread and forum). I just ordered the new VK-12 and was wondering what I should look at for next month's purchase. Are the HT-88s replacing the HT-75 towers? I'm thinking I would like to get a set of the HT-88s, what would compliment those towers for the rear channels in a 5.1 setup? Also, is the HT-85 center speaker an updated version of the HT-65?

The HT-88 have 8" woofers, while the HT-75 have 6.5" woofers. The 88s have been discontinued, they are no longer in production, but another model will replace them soon.

The HT-65 center goes with the HT-75, while the HT-85 (8" woofers) center was married to the discontinued HT-88.
post #1108 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 06:29 PM

After upgrading my speakers my upgraditis has now caused me to think about upgrading my Onkyo 605 to an 805.

I sometimes felt that watching DVDs on my 605 I would have to turn the volume up so high that I would get faint hissing from my HTIB Onkyo speakers. The Onkyo 505 receiver which came with the HTIB was 100 watts per channel (whereas the 605 is 90) and I never had an issue with the sound being too low.

Has anyone tried Bic speakers with the Onkyo 605/805 and give me some impressions?
post #1109 of 4696 Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

After upgrading my speakers my upgraditis has now caused me to think about upgrading my Onkyo 605 to an 805.

I sometimes felt that watching DVDs on my 605 I would have to turn the volume up so high that I would get faint hissing from my HTIB Onkyo speakers. The Onkyo 505 receiver which came with the HTIB was 100 watts per channel (whereas the 605 is 90) and I never had an issue with the sound being too low.

Has anyone tried Bic speakers with the Onkyo 605/805 and give me some impressions?

If you want your system to play louder; go to the Speaker Menu, Select Source Setup, then select Intellivolume, raise the volume to +8db.

Since getting my BIC 7.1 set I am also thinking about upgrading from my 705 to an 806.

Good luck.
post #1110 of 4696 Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 AM

Just ordered the Bic vk-12 through Ambient Weather. There price is the same as the h-100's. Site claims to be an authorized dealer as well.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bic Acoustech , Bic Acoustech Pl 89 Speakers , Acoustech By Bic , Bic Acoustech Pl 76 Tower Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 26 Center Speaker , Bic Acoustech Pl 28 Center Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page