2Likes

post #271 of 1889 Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Suggestion for choosing the ceiling/wall speakers:

If you want to use them mainly for music, choose the silk (soft) tweeter.

If you want to use them for home theatre 7.1 sound choose the aluminum tweeter and kevlar woofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1889 Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Why?

I didn't notice the differences in the speakers, and went straight for the 8" ceiling.
post #273 of 1889 Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM

I would like to use the MP in-wall speakers, and have thought about subwoofers (the wife does not want a free-standing). I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter or to hear alternative solutions:

I am thinking about getting a pair of in-wall subwoofers (Pyle sells 12") to drive with a Dayton (from Parts Express) 240 W subwoofer amp (which would also be installed in-wall (with adequate ventilation/cooling). My thought would be to drive the in-wall subs from the subwoofer amp using the subwoofer channel of the main amp.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have experience with the Pyles? Pyle in-wall subs vs. the Monoprice (smaller) ones?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts.
post #274 of 1889 Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just FYI now that my project is finished. I bought these for a commercial project (dental office) and for the most part was happy with the install, very easy as everyone says. However, I had the problem with the 12 AWG wire not fitting as well. I had to decrease it to about half the wire to get it in! Secondly, they seem a bit muddy/bassy to me so I was surprised to hear others say they don't have enough bass. ?? I suppose it all depends on what's driving them. Oh, I also had a couple of the screws go into the plastic grabbers crooked while screwing them on, they are cheap little pieces and not well threaded. A metal insert with threads would have helped.
post #275 of 1889 Old 03-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Maybe the 12 AWG not fitting has to do with the particular Monoprice speaker purchased? They do offer several different models.

I had no problems with the 8" round, non-angled speakers. Could some others report back?
post #276 of 1889 Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had the same 8" round speakers as you and had the problem, my 12AWG wouldn't come close to fitting.
post #277 of 1889 Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM

I'll post pictures of my speakers and wire. I still have a pair that's not been installed.
post #278 of 1889 Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoguy View Post

OK, maybe someone needs to give me a wake-up call about expectations.

I just hooked up a pair of the 8-inch Monoprice in-ceilings -- not into the ceiling, just in front of an A/V receiver to test them out -- and I am utterly underwhelmed. Where's the bass? Are they not getting enough power from my Pioneer 1014TX? That doesn't seem possible. It's rated at 110 watts X 7 channels. (Update: That's not the case. I tested the Monoprice 6 1/2s, too. Same result.)

My B&W 602 S3s, which are 8-inch bookshelf speakers, are louder at the same volume, much deeper and with 10 times the bass of the Monoprices. I'm not expecting these to compare to B&Ws with speaker enclosures, but sheesh. It's night and day. I'm going to have to play these at very high volumes in the living area to get any bass at all out of them.

I really hope these 8-inch Monoprices sound better when they're installed in the ceiling, or I'm going to be disappointed. I really didn't want to have to build speaker boxes. (Nor am I certain it would help that much.) It's almost as if the Pioneer isn't sending them a full-strength signal. (But it is. I even unhooked one of the B&Ws and hooked its speaker wire to one of the Monoprices.)

Hmmm. Maybe I'm an idiot, but wow. I thought they'd be a bit more impressive. Again, maybe they'll sound better in-ceiling and in-wall. I sure hope so. I bought four pairs of these suckers for in-ceiling music in the living room and in-wall surround in the theater room.

There's no maybe about it: I'm an idiot. I finally got a pair of the 8-inchers installed in the 10-foot ceiling of the house I'm building. The bass response multiplied by about 1,000.

These speakers totally freaking rock.
post #279 of 1889 Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Are the 8" angled speakers suitable for surround sound use? I also noticed that they're listed as 4ohms instead of 8ohms - is that an issue for a typical receiver?
post #280 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshe View Post

Are the 8" angled speakers suitable for surround sound use? I also noticed that they're listed as 4ohms instead of 8ohms - is that an issue for a typical receiver?

Interesting point about the 4 ohms. I don't think that is typical for your average receiver. I bet the pioneer I was planing on using woudn't like it.

I was thinking about using the angled 8's as well for surround but now I'm also looking at other options that will diffuse the sound better.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

I'm looking at these as well as the inwalls. I'm in Canada though as well so it would involve a run to the border for pickup.
post #281 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM

Two more questions for you guys:

For a 7.1 setup, do you thinking using two 6.5" as the rear centers would be any issues, or should I stick with all 8" speakers?

Also, how do you guys keep your wires all neat? In a 7.1 setup, there are 8+ cables coming out of the receiver into the wall panel... How do you keep it from looking like a big mess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

I'm looking at these as well as the inwalls. I'm in Canada though as well so it would involve a run to the border for pickup.

Is our Canadian Costco membership valid in the US?
post #282 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

I would stick with 8's all around for the minimal price difference.

As for the wire mess, it's called cable management. Not being a smart ass either. It's something I have to learn as well. I'm actually investing in a proper middle atlantic rack to tidy things up downstairs. For the bedroom theatre I hope to have all the equipment located somewhere else.

Yes your membership is valid at any costco in the world. I've used our in the US and once in Mexico a long time ago.
post #283 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:

As for the wire mess, it's called cable management. Not being a smart ass either. It's something I have to learn as well. I'm actually investing in a proper middle atlantic rack to tidy things up downstairs. For the bedroom theatre I hope to have all the equipment located somewhere else.

I'm pretty familiar with cable management - but only from a network/computer perspective.

I never did figure out how to do it properly from the receiver to the wall plate.

If anyone has some photos that'll be great
post #284 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm pretty familiar with cable management - but only from a network/computer perspective.

I never did figure out how to do it properly from the receiver to the wall plate.

If anyone has some photos that'll be great

i personally just use a white zip tie every few inches to blend in with the white jacket of the speaker wire (using in-wall speaker wire from the receiver to the wall plate).
you can bunch all channels together, or the wires for the front channels together/surround channels together/rear surround channels together/etc. really that's about the best you're going to be able to do to keep them a little neater. i would not use any sort of loom because i would think it would just add more attention to the wiring.
of course nothing really beats having all of that hidden by a piece of furniture in front of it.
post #285 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone;

For the MonoPrice 10" Passive Sub, it mentions bi-amping the speaker with a smaller in-wall to create a fuller sound.

So assuming my amp (i.e. Pioneer TX1014) has biamp capability, does this mean I can use my "rear" speakers and set them to bi-amp mode and wire it to the passive sub? Then the amp will send the front left/right sound to both the speaker and the woofer?

So:

Amp FR -> FR Speaker
Amp RR -> FR Woofer
Amp FL -> FL Speaker
Amp RL -> FL Woofer

FR - Front Right
RR - Rear Right
FL - Front Left
RL - Rear Left

When pairing this subwoofer with monoprices inwalls, do you think I should go with the 10" subwoofer or the 8" (since the wall speaker is 8").

One more question, the center speaker is only 5.25", is it possible to use two centers to produce larger sound? Anyone know how to wire them - can I just wire both speakers to the center terminal on my AV receiver?
post #286 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the info everyone;

For the MonoPrice 10" Passive Sub, it mentions bi-amping the speaker with a smaller in-wall to create a fuller sound.

So assuming my amp (i.e. Pioneer TX1014) has biamp capability, does this mean I can use my "rear" speakers and set them to bi-amp mode and wire it to the passive sub? Then the amp will send the front left/right sound to both the speaker and the woofer?

So:

Amp FR -> FR Speaker
Amp RR -> FR Woofer
Amp FL -> FL Speaker
Amp RL -> FL Woofer

FR - Front Right
RR - Rear Right
FL - Front Left
RL - Rear Left

When pairing this subwoofer with monoprices inwalls, do you think I should go with the 10" subwoofer or the 8" (since the wall speaker is 8").

One more question, the center speaker is only 5.25", is it possible to use two centers to produce larger sound? Anyone know how to wire them - can I just wire both speakers to the center terminal on my AV receiver?

Off hand I don't think your receiver would bi-amp but check your manual. I was also thinking about installing a pair of those 10" to go with the front left and right. From what I read they won't be any good for LFE but would work well to enhance the midbass of the fronts.

The centre in wall has a pair of 5.25" which should give you a full sound. I know some people have placed centre speakers above and below their display but I'm not big on the theory behind it. How big is the display you will be using?

I'm guessing that if you wired them in parallel then they would give you a 4 ohm load which is probably to much for your pioneer. In series they would give you 16 ohms which probably wouldn't use enough power.
post #287 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Off hand I don't think your receiver would bi-amp but check your manual.

Looks like most Pioneer amps have bi-amp capability. Whew.

Quote:

The centre in wall has a pair of 5.25" which should give you a full sound. I know some people have placed centre speakers above and below their display but I'm not big on the theory behind it. How big is the display you will be using?

Right now I'm thinking of getting a 60" Plasma.

So one center should produce enough sound to fill a 20 x 18 room (one side is open tho).
post #288 of 1889 Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like most Pioneer amps have bi-amp capability. Whew.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a 60" Plasma.

So one center should produce enough sound to fill a 20 x 18 room (one side is open tho).

I will have to check my pioneer receiver in the bedroom to see if it can bi-amp as well. I think the monoprice inwalls would be fine with a 60".

No idea how much sound they will produce and if it will fill your room. Maybe others that actual own them can chime in here.
post #289 of 1889 Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Is that a crossover I see on the back of the 10" in-wall subwoofer? It would need one to be used as bi-amped fronts. I've recently learned that most AVRs that support bi-amping send a full range signal to each channel. Theoretically with the sub's crossover and an Audyssey or MCACC enabled receiver it should work fine.
post #290 of 1889 Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerSully View Post

Is that a crossover I see on the back of the 10" in-wall subwoofer? It would need one to be used as bi-amped fronts. I've recently learned that most AVRs that support bi-amping send a full range signal to each channel. Theoretically with the sub's crossover and an Audyssey or MCACC enabled receiver it should work fine.

I believe the woofer is supposed to be bi-amped with the fronts; just debating 10" woofers or 8" (since inwalls monoprice has is only 8")
post #291 of 1889 Old 03-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Can anyone confirm that the 8" In-Ceiling Angled Speakers are indeed 4ohms? Weird since EVERY other speaker they sell is listed at 8ohm impedance.

Will the 4ohms cause problems with a typical receiver. I was looking to purchase a Pioneer VSX-918V but may wait for the new models. The manual for the 918 states it only goes down to 6ohm...

Any suggestions? Should I just get the 8" Non-Angled?
post #292 of 1889 Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM

I am also in the process of installing whole house audio and a 7.1 + 5.1 surround systems, all ceiling installed and planning on using Monoprice speakers for at least the whole house system, and probably for the surround systems as well.

My house is currently gutted and I am running audio wire now. I have the whole house setup for 6.5" 3-way speakers due to small room size and limited places to locate speakers. There will be two 3-way 6.5" speakers in the main living area, one dead center in the kitchen and one that pretty much splits the entire room located at one end.

I am also planning on using 6.5" for the 7.1 and 5.1, with a 6.5" 3-way for the center channel. Once again, due to limited space I will probably pair the L/R speakers for the 7.1 & 5.1 with the Monoprice 10" and 8" passive in-ceiling subs respectively.

Does anyone see any drawbacks to this setup? I custom made plywood rough-in brackets that will accommodate up to 6.5", so if 8" speakers would be better for whole house, or at least for the bigger room, then I need to recut the rough-in brackets to size. I'm not looking for mind blowing sound from the whole house audio, but it should be enough to give good sound, and in the two smaller bed rooms, serve as audio for multiple purposes (i.e. computer, tv, etc..).

Also, would the Monoprice in-ceiling speakers be acceptable for use outdoors in a soffit and in bathrooms?

Pics attached are of the main living area, primarily of the 7.1 section of it. They are a little out of date, but it shows speaker placements and general room size.
LL
LL
post #293 of 1889 Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Anyone using a full set of Monoprice speakers for their 5.1/7.1 setup?

I just bit the bullet and ordered a complete set. It's only for the family room and even with shipping (250USD - OUCH - to Canada) it's still cheaper than buying locally.
post #294 of 1889 Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone using a full set of Monoprice speakers for their 5.1/7.1 setup?

I just bit the bullet and ordered a complete set. It's only for the family room and even with shipping (250USD - OUCH - to Canada) it's still cheaper than buying locally.

So which ones did you end up ordering? Did you get the inwall subs, the angled speakers, etc. ?
post #295 of 1889 Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

So which ones did you end up ordering? Did you get the inwall subs, the angled speakers, etc. ?

1 x pair of 8" in-wall speakers (4101)
1 x pair of 8" in-ceiling speakers (4104)
2 x 10" woofers (4928)
1 x 5 1/4" micro flange center (4930)

Also ordered 3 TV mounts too.

I don't get why courier companies charge 75% more when crossing a border ... and considering the amount of packages/goods crossing the border it should hardly cost this much.

Oh well, in the end slightly cheaper than buying locally

I'll post some photos once everything is setup.
post #296 of 1889 Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1281 View Post

Can anyone confirm that the 8" In-Ceiling Angled Speakers are indeed 4ohms? Weird since EVERY other speaker they sell is listed at 8ohm impedance.

Will the 4ohms cause problems with a typical receiver. I was looking to purchase a Pioneer VSX-918V but may wait for the new models. The manual for the 918 states it only goes down to 6ohm...

Any suggestions? Should I just get the 8" Non-Angled?

I put an ohm meter on it and they are in fact 4 ohms (~3.8).

Something else to note. I ordered the micro flange center speaker (#4930) and it is listed as 8ohms. Well, either my meter is broken, or it is actually 4ohms. It measured at almost exactly what the angled 8's did. I'm pretty sure its not my meter as I also have some of the 8" rectangular speakers and they measuers at ~6.7ohms, so I'm pretty sure that is what 8ohms looks like.

I suspect the inventory buyers at monoprice aren't paying close attention to what they are getting. You would think that most people buying budget speakers are looking for 8ohm models right now.
post #297 of 1889 Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm View Post

I put an ohm meter on it and they are in fact 4 ohms (~3.8).

Something else to note. I ordered the micro flange center speaker (#4930) and it is listed as 8ohms. Well, either my meter is broken, or it is actually 4ohms. It measured at almost exactly what the angled 8's did. I'm pretty sure its not my meter as I also have some of the 8" rectangular speakers and they measuers at ~6.7ohms, so I'm pretty sure that is what 8ohms looks like.

I suspect the inventory buyers at monoprice aren't paying close attention to what they are getting. You would think that most people buying budget speakers are looking for 8ohm models right now.

WOW! Great information to know! I've been looking at both of those speakers. 3 of the micro-flange for LCR and the 4 of the 8's for surround. I will have to check my receiver again to see what loads it can handle.
post #298 of 1889 Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM

I installed two 5 1/4" monoprice in-ceiling speakers as rear surrounds in my 5.1 setup. I have 12ft ceilings and was still very impressed with the sound quality and overall volume of sound. Installation was a breeze, but I would suggest wearing a mask while cutting sheetrock...
post #299 of 1889 Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Just ordered 20 of the 8" speakers. Looks like I bought them out until 3/31. Sorry about that >
post #300 of 1889 Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM

SO whats the verdict on a full 5.1 setup of these?
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page