Monoprice in-wall, in-ceiling speakers - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1861 Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could use a plumb bob, Hang it from the center of the speaker location and mark the floor, assuming this is new construction and the flooring is not down yet. Take an insulation wire (used to hold up your insulation) wrap the speaker wire around insulation wire (the center of the joist) and when the drywall guysshow up they should punch holes through and feed your wire out of the dry wall. Take the template that comes with the speaker, mark it, cut it out with a zip saw, works great!! good luck. BTW the drywall guys did cover one out of the 10 speakers wire pairs, but they finally figured out where it was, watch them if you can!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1861 Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCannon View Post

I am using the 4-ohm with my Onkyo Integra amp (which specs list only down to 6 ohm speakers). It hasn't fried the amp yet, sounds fine. All the other speakers in the 5.1 setup are Monoprice 8ohm.

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I needed to hear.
post #543 of 1861 Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslide View Post

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I needed to hear.

Or not. I got cold feet again. I found a help chat on the MP site and asked their opinion on compatability. They said if my receiver couldn't be set for different impedance on different channels, they wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure they have to answer that way because of liability reasons, but it was enough to make me look harder for an alternative. I decided to get the TSC center to go with MP 8" fronts (wall) and rears (ceiling). I'll give feedback (Ha! feedback, speaker forum....nevermind...) once i get things installed.
post #544 of 1861 Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlem View Post

From the inside

I hope you're going to "box" those speakers before they lay the insulation down.
post #545 of 1861 Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I hope you're going to "box" those speakers before they lay the insulation down.

This is a 10 year old house. It's uncommon to insulate the garage in South Florida. Just doesn't get cold enough.
post #546 of 1861 Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am installing the 8" monoprice speakers ceiling speakers in my new home. It is still being built. Framing is done. Waiting for insulation and drywall. I have decided to just put insulation behind the speakers instead of making boxes. Am I missing out on a big sound upgrade. My research said that if you don't build the correctly tuned box, it will actually sound worse. Any advice.
post #547 of 1861 Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 PM

You can see my install, and I think they sound pretty bitchin' for $50 w/o box.
post #548 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlem View Post

This is a 10 year old house. It's uncommon to insulate the garage in South Florida. Just doesn't get cold enough.

if this is in a garage those are out of code and provide an entrance to the rest of your home from a garage fire......

you need to either... box them with fire rated drywall, replace them with fire-rated speakers (yes they exist) or mount the on the underside of the ceiling.

ATM in a garage fire situation your insurance will not cover the damage.
post #549 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post

if this is in a garage those are out of code and provide an entrance to the rest of your home from a garage fire......

you need to either... box them with fire rated drywall, replace them with fire-rated speakers (yes they exist) or mount the on the underside of the ceiling.

ATM in a garage fire situation your insurance will not cover the damage.

Yes, another member made me aware on the previous page. My in-wall rated speaker wire hasn't arrived yet so I'll deal with it as I finish the install.
post #550 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
cool, just didnt want something to happen....

looks great, i want speakers in my garage
post #551 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

What is the best way to install this on a new construction? Drywall has not gone up yet. I am going to run the wires to the appropriate locations tomorrow. I have 6 pairs of 8" speakers to install. These speakers are installed directly on the drywall right. So, no ceiling trusses needed. The builder said the drywall guys will cut around the speaker if I put a mud ring in the ceiling right now. Do I do that or do I just leave a piece of wire sticking out so that the drywall guys will put a little hole there. Then I can cut the drywall myself. I have not done much drywall cutting before! Any ideas.

you should not mount these till the drywall is finished. just run your speaker wire to the locations and staple it to the side of the stud. Take pictures and measurements so you know exactly where the wires are. Once the drywall goes up you do not want to be searching for hidden wires, you want to know where they are located exactly.
post #552 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I've heard of people thinnning the paint before painting grills, it's do-able. I'd practice on a throw-away first, or skip it.

Take lots of pictures of the wire locations before the drywall goes up, to avoid future drywall repairs.

any more tips on painting these? The holes are so small i can see that it is likely to get clogged if they roll over these. I remember seeing a earlier post where the poster spray painted all the grills before hand instead of rolling. Seems like a good idea...
post #553 of 1861 Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 PM

I have these installed in many rooms in my house now. Currently the family room is the only one with a subwoofer and MAN does the subwoofer make a huge difference. These inwall speakers really need a subwoofer if you want decent sound quality. They have zero bass....

I have run rg59 coax to every room and intend to put a subwoofer in each room. Been trying to decide for months while which powered subwoofer to use. I wish monoprice would release a cheap powered sub
post #554 of 1861 Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Monoprice is back to being it.

Apparently the Speaker Company is closing shop.

Last year I regretted ordering from Monoprice after reading tSC reviews. Now, I'm glad I went w/ the Monoprice speakers.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17753731

Ouch!
post #555 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 AM

Hi all,

Anyone know how the Monoprice Subwoofers work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I tried biamping them with my Denon 789 but I don't get much out of the woofers. In fact, barely anything is audiable.

Any ideas why this is the case?

Thanks!
post #556 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Guys,

I bought the 8" inwall speakers from monoprice. I am not sure if I should try to center the speaker and tv against the entire wall. This is in the bedroom. In the pic, we have it a little towards the left side (not center) because the bed fits better on the opposite side due to the sliding door layout.

Right now we are not using that room as a bedroom but more of a play room. Before I start cutting holes, any suggestion?

Thanks,
tnt
post #557 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am up to four pair of these installed, can't complain. Perfect for background music and still decent when I crank them a little too far.

post #558 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKiV View Post

I am up to four pair of these installed, can't complain. Perfect for background music and still decent when I crank them a little too far.

very nice. Are the ceiling and wall the same paint color?

We are in the process of redoing the living room and we want the same color on both wall/ceiling.

Tnt
post #559 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Guys,

I bought the 8" inwall speakers from monoprice. I am not sure if I should try to center the speaker and tv against the entire wall. This is in the bedroom. In the pic, we have it a little towards the left side (not center) because the bed fits better on the opposite side due to the sliding door layout.

Right now we are not using that room as a bedroom but more of a play room. Before I start cutting holes, any suggestion?

Thanks,
tnt

that tv looks so little

if it were me, I would have spread those speakers out more. better separation.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #560 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

that tv looks so little

if it were me, I would have spread those speakers out more. better separation.

40" . Would you suggest to center the TV. Please read original post.

Btw, I have a 118" projector screen in the living room. This is just my game room & quiet time area.

tnt
post #561 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

The ceiling is 25% of the wall color - it's Benjamin Moore Barely Beige.
post #562 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am not sure if I should try to center the speaker and tv against the entire wall.

We struggled with this and went with what works best - in the end I think it was the right choice. Function over form sometimes is OK =)
post #563 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Guys,

Thanks,
tnt

Center the tv on the bed like you're doing, spread out the speakers a little to get better sound staging, use artwork if you have any more wall that you want to cover.
post #564 of 1861 Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1281 View Post

Center the tv on the bed like you're doing, spread out the speakers a little to get better sound staging, use artwork if you have any more wall that you want to cover.

Thank guys. Sometimes its better to be functional. I am going to move the speakers out a little.

tnt
post #565 of 1861 Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Thank guys. Sometimes its better to be functional. I am going to move the speakers out a little.
tnt

Will also be good if you ever decide to get a larger display - difficult to move speakers.

Since you're cutting drywall for the in-wall speakers, maybe add a cable for a subwoofer, for future purchase?

Check the location of the studs - may make your speaker location decision easier.

You'll need to paint where the L and R speaker surface wiring duct is located, any other paint touch-ups you want to take care of while you're at it?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #566 of 1861 Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamiller View Post

any more tips on painting these? The holes are so small i can see that it is likely to get clogged if they roll over these. I remember seeing a earlier post where the poster spray painted all the grills before hand instead of rolling. Seems like a good idea...

I thinned the paint, used a foam roller, and put on a thin coat each time.

No need to spray paint
post #567 of 1861 Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 AM

I too am looking at in wall speakers. We are adding onto our house a media room. I will be moving all my audio equipment into this room from our living room. The room will be 18'x16' with a 9' ceiling. I will be mounting a 55" Samsung lcd on the wall and really wanted to do in wall. My current system is a 5.1 set up (KEF KHT5005.2) but I want to go 7.1. To add two more satellite speakers to this system is like $600, and then they would still have to be mounted on the wall instead of in it. I know that the monoprice speakers are not going to give me the sound of my KEF's but I was thinking once I put a good sub in there I might not notice it too much. I just don't want to put the monoprice in walls in and then not be happy because then I will be left with 7 holes in the drywall and the more expensive in walls may not fit. I was tinkering with the idea of selling the KEF's which are almost new to help fund a little better in wall. Any suggestions from any of you guys who are using these monoprice in walls as a home theater? My receiver is a Denon AVR-887.

"A Government who robs Peter to pay Paul will always have the support of Paul."
post #568 of 1861 Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post

I too am looking at in wall speakers. We are adding onto our house a media room. I will be moving all my audio equipment into this room from our living room. The room will be 18'x16' with a 9' ceiling. I will be mounting a 55" Samsung lcd on the wall and really wanted to do in wall. My current system is a 5.1 set up (KEF KHT5005.2) but I want to go 7.1. To add two more satellite speakers to this system is like $600, and then they would still have to be mounted on the wall instead of in it. I know that the monoprice speakers are not going to give me the sound of my KEF's but I was thinking once I put a good sub in there I might not notice it too much. I just don't want to put the monoprice in walls in and then not be happy because then I will be left with 7 holes in the drywall and the more expensive in walls may not fit. I was tinkering with the idea of selling the KEF's which are almost new to help fund a little better in wall. Any suggestions from any of you guys who are using these monoprice in walls as a home theater? My receiver is a Denon AVR-887.

A good sub has nothing to do with how your surrounds perform with high frequency and midrange data. I'd rather have good 5.1 than so-so 7.1 anyday.

You might want to buy two Monoprice in-walls anyway and test them out with two channel music. They're cheap enough that if you don't like them, you can either keep them as a feature of the house or resell them on Craigslist/E-bay/AVS to recoup most of your initial purchase. You know the rules--audition first.
post #569 of 1861 Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM

My only issue at this point is that once holes are cut in drywall they are in fact holes!! The more and more I think about it I am just leaning towards keeping my KEF's and just down the road adding two more to reach my goal of having a 7.1 system. I am probably wasting my time since the viewing couch will be against the wall so the surrounds will be over the top of my head! I was going to just buy two in ceiling speakers for the rear surround but I want it all to match. If I had money all of this would be simple!!!!!

"A Government who robs Peter to pay Paul will always have the support of Paul."
post #570 of 1861 Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post

My only issue at this point is that once holes are cut in drywall they are in fact holes!! The more and more I think about it I am just leaning towards keeping my KEF's and just down the road adding two more to reach my goal of having a 7.1 system. I am probably wasting my time since the viewing couch will be against the wall so the surrounds will be over the top of my head! I was going to just buy two in ceiling speakers for the rear surround but I want it all to match. If I had money all of this would be simple!!!!!

The price of these speakers is so cheap you should "audition" them by installing them in your non-critical bedroom or office. That way you do not have to cut holes in your living room. If you do not like the way they sound, no big loss.... at least they are guaranteed to sound better than your current bedroom setup. Know what I mean?
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page