post #721 of 1863 Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs123 View Post

Just read through the entire thread and have decided on trying 3 of the 4881s for the front and a pair of the 4099s for the rear in our familyroom. Question I have is about how you guys are getting the speaker wires from the L/C/R speakers to come all into one exit spot? After you have the hole cut out are you drilling through the studs to the left and the right and then just dropping the wires down where the center channel is going and pulling them there? In all of the pictures posted so far I don't actually see where they are coming out of the wall at or how you got them there (see attached pics). At first I was just thinking that after I cut the speaker hole then just drop each wire straight down and have a terminal plate at about the baseboard height for all three along the bottom. But now seeing these so far and no exit plates I'm curious to know how you guys have routed the wire from each of the 3 fronts?

I think that was pretty much the wire routing I used. I tried to cross high voltage wires only when necessary and only then at a 90 degree angle. Your setup looks pretty sweet!

I disassembled 2 of the 8 inch rectangulars and made towers for my brother and the results have been pretty impressive. I'll post the end product here just for completeness but the components of these in-walls are good and cheap which begs other uses besides popping them in the walls and using them as-is.

More to come......

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1863 Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the Monoprice 6816? It's the 100 watt nominal, 200 watt max 8" ceiling speaker.
post #723 of 1863 Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

You can buy a 3rd party back box for your Monoprice speakers. However, I don't recall them ever being cheap...

True - I was hoping for a speaker that was tuned for a specific backbox rather than jerry rigging two pieces together
post #724 of 1863 Old 06-13-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am thinking of buying a pair of the Monoprice 4929s for in ceiling to go in concert with my Paradigm ADP190s in the rear. Anyone have an opinion on how they will match up with the Paradigms? I will also be running them through my Integra 8.2 receiver. My interest in these stems from the fact that I have cathedrial ceilings and these speakers can be adjusted to point them at my listening position. Also they will be for surround use only.

Jeff
post #725 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out what I did with a pair of 8" in-walls.....

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=217947

Lots of fun!

post #726 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Check out what I did with a pair of 8" in-walls.....

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=217947

Lots of fun!

I assume you're just doing this for fun. I bet you could get way better drivers for the $$$ for speaker building than cannibalizing the Monoprice in-walls.
post #727 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry for the noob question in advance. I have been reading this and many other threads here trying to get an answer. I am looking at making the jump from my HTIB to in ceiling speakers (new house is pre wired for it).
I am looking to buy the Denon AVR1610 and a few of the monoprice 8 inch w/ angled woofer (4929). My question is this. The 1610 puts out 75W per channel and the speakers are 80W nominal. From what I have read, I don't think it will be a problem, but will it damage either the speakers or the receiver?
post #728 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I assume you're just doing this for fun. I bet you could get way better drivers for the $$$ for speaker building than cannibalizing the Monoprice in-walls.

Way better woofers, tweeters, and crossover components for less than $50.00? If so I'm not aware of it. Try parts express and try to get decent components to match whats here for less than 50.00. I'd be hard pressed to buy just the drivers for that.

Anyways, I already stated(in the other thread) that the monoprice speakers were "extra" after I built my house so they were essentially free. I stated that in the 1st part of the thread but it is a bit lengthy so you prob didnt read all that. Anyways yeah it was fun and I got my first experience with speaker building for the cost of the paint and a sheet of MDF.

post #729 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarjohn View Post

Sorry for the noob question in advance. I have been reading this and many other threads here trying to get an answer. I am looking at making the jump from my HTIB to in ceiling speakers (new house is pre wired for it).
I am looking to buy the Denon AVR1610 and a few of the monoprice 8 inch w/ angled woofer (4929). My question is this. The 1610 puts out 75W per channel and the speakers are 80W nominal. From what I have read, I don't think it will be a problem, but will it damage either the speakers or the receiver?

Your fine.

post #730 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 PM

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
post #731 of 1863 Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Is it worth it to invest in the angled 8" speakers? Not that any of these are expensive, but I can get four 8" for nearly the price of two angled ones. If they don't make a difference, I see no point in buying them.
Monoprice told me the only difference was the angled ones could "focus sound a little better."
These will all be in ceiling mounts for a 5.1 system (already wired for it and I am pushing my handy man know how already by doing this) for my family room. I am not an audiphile by any strectch, just like the extra sound while watching movies.
post #732 of 1863 Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To get a "matched" pair of Paradigm in wall/ceiling it will cost almost 4Xs as much, and I still have the cathedral ceiling issue. I should be asking if the dipoles can be in front of the listening area by say 3ft. and place the in wall/ceiling speakers in the rear and just forget the ceiling.

Jeff
post #733 of 1863 Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 AM

For the in-ceiling angled 8" speakers, what are people using for centres? I was consdering either the KEF motorized unit or a wall-mount centre over the display.
post #734 of 1863 Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 AM

Liked: 11
i received mine last night, 3 of the 4881s and 2 of the 4099s. I was alittle surprised that the woofers are not yellow and do look different than what they have pictured on the site. what did you guys end up that ordered? yellow and just like what is pictured? all black and slightly different looking than what is pictured on their site?
post #735 of 1863 Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 AM

I ordered five pairs of the monoprice 8 inch w/ angled woofer (4929) and they will be installed this Friday. I just got the speakers and thought they were adjustable but they look to be fixed at 15 degrees so I need to have the installer point them how I want. Could someone help with how they should be pointed? The locations are all fixed already since the its all prewired by the builder. The front and center ones are fairly obvious, just point it toward the seating area. The rear ones are more of a question. In one room, the speaker location is right above the seating area but I don't think I can just point them straight down because they are angled. Should I point them to the rear to bounce off the rear wall? For the other room, its larger so I think I can point them toward the seating area since the location is a little further back. To further complicate things, I believe the tweeter is adjustable. I suppose I should adjust that to make it point further toward the seating area.

Thanks!
post #736 of 1863 Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs123 View Post

i received mine last night, 3 of the 4881s and 2 of the 4099s. I was alittle surprised that the woofers are not yellow and do look different than what they have pictured on the site. what did you guys end up that ordered? yellow and just like what is pictured? all black and slightly different looking than what is pictured on their site?

I think everybodys have been yellow, mine are. Drivers get sourced around, unless your stuck on the yellow drivers prob not much difference.

post #737 of 1863 Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 AM

Has anyone tried using the in-ceiling speakers (round ones) as the fronts and center speaker of their system? Where exactly would you mount them in the ceiling for that? Maybe halfway along the viewing distance? Or just right above the screen? I imagine this would not be optimal because the sound would be shoot strait down, but I would love to be able to hide my speakers in the ceiling... Just wondering if anyone has tried it.
post #738 of 1863 Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohaverd View Post

Has anyone tried using the in-ceiling speakers (round ones) as the fronts and center speaker of their system? Where exactly would you mount them in the ceiling for that? Maybe halfway along the viewing distance? Or just right above the screen? I imagine this would not be optimal because the sound would be shoot strait down, but I would love to be able to hide my speakers in the ceiling... Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I've seen sytems like this but you definitely wouldn't want to do it with speakers that weren't at least angled toward the listening position in their housings. And by angled I don't mean adjustable tweeters, you need the whole speaker angled for something like this.
post #739 of 1863 Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM

I just had five 4929s which have the 15 degree angle installed in the ceiling. It does provide the directional sound I wanted but not happy with the bass. Hopefully once I hook up the powered sub, things will sound better. For me, the front and center speakers are located above the tv.
post #740 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM

How would these work as a LCR behind a Acoustically Transparent screen? Would a non center channel work as a center. Basically just puting three of the same speaker across the wall?

I wish they sold a 6 1/2" center channel?!
post #741 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I use 3 4101s as fronts, including center. They work fine.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #742 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I use 3 4101s as fronts, including center. They work fine.

Did you turn the center on its side or leave it upright? Are they behind a screen?
post #743 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

It is upright. The studs where it is at are too close together to let me use a center channel, so I did this instead. I bought 2 pair and just used one out of the second pair. They are so cheap, it's not a big deal. I figured I'd have a spare if I blew one.

It is not behind a screen, so I couldn't help you with that part. It's pretty amazing how good they sound for less than $60 a pair. I have an Outlaw LFM-1EX sub paired with them for the bass part. They all fit together pretty seamlessly. Right now I only have a 32" LCD between them all since we are in the process of selling our house. I didn't want anything expensive in the house during showing, so that they would not want to keep it and leave me needing something new. (they did ask for the 32" TV in the sale).

I'll try to remember to post a picture tonight, although it is happy hour night
post #744 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

It is upright. The studs where it is at are too close together to let me use a center channel, so I did this instead. I bought 2 pair and just used one out of the second pair. They are so cheap, it's not a big deal. I figured I'd have a spare if I blew one.

It is not behind a screen, so I couldn't help you with that part. It's pretty amazing how good they sound for less than $60 a pair. I have an Outlaw LFM-1EX sub paired with them for the bass part. They all fit together pretty seamlessly. Right now I only have a 32" LCD between them all since we are in the process of selling our house. I didn't want anything expensive in the house during showing, so that they would not want to keep it and leave me needing something new. (they did ask for the 32" TV in the sale).

I'll try to remember to post a picture tonight, although it is happy hour night

Its friday night, relax on the picture.

Im just running ideas through my head for my basement. Want to do projector (HD20 probably) and looking into DIY acoustically transparent screens. Trying to keep it on the cheaper side so the wife dont kill me.

I buy a lot from monoprice. Love them.
post #745 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

We are in negotiations on the new house, and part of moving means I'm getting a new projector, at least new L/C/R speakers (since the in-walls can't come with me), and possibly a second LFM-1EX since the new room is so much bigger than what I had. My goal is to have an LCD in the 42" to 46" range on the wall at all times, then have a screen drop for the projector for movies, sports, video games worth of a big screen. Unfortunately, this setup does not lend itself to a DIY screen. In fact, if I had a dedicated theater room I'd probably first try the paint screen. But it looks like I'll be ordering a motorized screen from Monoprice.
post #746 of 1863 Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Theres only one wall that makes sense for the screen but I only have 9' to work with. So i figured do a bigger screen with the speakers behind it. The 8" monoprice ones would work perfect I think.

Then maybe 2 - 8" in cielings for the surround. (may do 7.1 but not sure)

This will be for mainly movies,video games and sporting events. I already have a 46" upstairs for basic tv watching.

Thanks for the info.
post #747 of 1863 Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Monoprice speakers working great in my remodeled house - just moved in a few days ago:

Before:

After:
post #748 of 1863 Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Liked: 28
Wow - looks great!
post #749 of 1863 Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow these look cool, might look at switching out my 2-way 8" for these.

But what to do with the old ones......hmmmm.

post #750 of 1863 Old 07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. My builder thought it was overkill to put a 3.5 inch recessed pocket in the wall for the 55" TV, but I am really glad I did. Only downside is when the price of 65" or 72" sets come down to reality. Remodel again time
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page