Monoprice in-wall, in-ceiling speakers - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #811 of 1863 Old 11-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need surrounds and rears for a 7.1 setup. Surrounds will be in the vaulted part of the ceiling and the rears in the back wall.

My question is ... Monoprice 6816 or Parasound C280?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1863 Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys--

I am doing research for a potential new Home Theater!!

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a 5 speaker set-up using monoprice's in ceiling (6.5 inch 2-way) speakers for the front and rears. I am wondering about the center channel though. I am looking at getting the 60" LG 60PK550 and wall mounting it with monoprice's corner wall mount (id # 4926). I have a full-height fireplace (stone from floor to ceiling) and then to the right is a cutout where the Tv will be mounted. Problem is, the cutout is only 41" wide (across) and 20" in depth. This means I will mount the tv so it is outside of the cutout. This means the monoprice in-wall center speaker will be 20" min behind the tv. Do you guys think it will impact the performance of the speaker in any way? Will it echo "inside" the cutout and drive me nuts, or sound perfectly normal? Any input you guys could give me would be awesome!

Also, if you think I shouldn't go with monoprice's center speaker, do you guys have an alternative that pairs well with the other monoprice speakers? I am on a huge budget, but I want something that sounds good but not uber-spendy (ideal would be under 50 bucks but not sure that is possible).

Let me know if you need clarification on my wall and cutout--it is hard to convert into words

Thanks! I know you guys will have some expert opinions and knowledge to share

Long Live AVS
post #813 of 1863 Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

Plasman, that is an absolutely top-notch setup! I am currently pursuing new construction. Framing should being in 2-3 weeks. Our viewing area is very similar to yours, with a propane fireplace and two windows on either side. I was contemplating doing some in-wall speakers instead of floor-standers, and seeing your pictures basically made up my mind for me.

If you don't mind, I have some questions:

Hi Chrispy, sorry to answer late - I didn't see your questions from last week. Thanks for the nice comments. Answers in blue.
  1. What is the height from the floor to the top of your mantel?
    46" to top of mantel and 47.5" to bottom of recessed pocket
  2. Is the TV is sitting on its pedestal on the mantel, rather than being wall-mounted? It looks like it's tilting slightly downward, which is something I think is needed for best viewing ergonomics.
    I used a wall mount (Monoprice of course) model 5916 slim tilting mount. I did tilt it slightly and my couches are about 10-13 feet away because of the U shape. But no neck strain.
  3. Was the 2x4 framing depth enough for the 2-ways? By the specs, it looks to barely be enough with the sheetrock depth included
    Yes, those speakers are made for 2x4 framing. Remember, the drywall gives you an extra 1/2 inch or so.
  4. Is the orange flex conduit for video cabling? If so, what diameter is it?
    I think it was 2 inches and it carries some pull strings, 22 gauge HDMI cables and several CAT6 for future proofing. I can't do 3D at this point since there are no high speed HDMI cables that are long enough and no reliable HDMI 1.4 Cat 6 converters.
  5. How did you bring this conduit through the wall - did you mate it to a work box, or just punch it through the wall?
    It just lines up with a dual gang low voltage plastic box in the drywall - nothing fancy. A plastic recessed workbox with a nice conduit fitting might have been neater. I had the electrician use a dual recessed clock outlet for the power.
  6. Do you find any issues with speakers not being angled downward? In other words, does the sound improve noticeably when you stand up? (I'm wondering if fabricating some angled spacer collars from wood is worthwhile.)
    It sounds quite good and I don't notice center channel spatial issues even though it is obviously not an ideal setup. Angling the center would probably work better but I wanted a clean modern look. Even the Samsung built in speakers sound good when not using the home theater setup.
  7. Where is your equipment located?
    60 feet away in an equipment closet. I use URC RF20 RF remotes in the house which work just great. For a wireless PC keyboard, I had to go to this rather expensive 900 Mhz one for the long range to my HTPC in the closet: http://www.fentek-ind.com/lkbmrf100tbu.jpg

Good luck with your installation. I've got another TV with the same recessed pocket and home theater setup in the Master Bedroom too (although the center channel is under the TV in that room). As I said, my builder thought it was foolish to lose floorspace by building the pocket walls - but I think my 2 TV's looks 100X better than a hanging picture look with an exposed (albeit thin) wall mount behind.
post #814 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

Q: Is the TV is sitting on its pedestal on the mantel, rather than being wall-mounted? It looks like it's tilting slightly downward, which is something I think is needed for best viewing ergonomics.
A: I used a wall mount (Monoprice of course) model 5916 slim tilting mount. I did tilt it slightly and my couches are about 10-13 feet away because of the U shape. But no neck strain.

Thanks Plasman, this was all great information. I have one follow-up question regarding the quoted answer above. For the mount above, how do you get to the back of the TV to adjust and tighten the TV mounting bracket? And once the TV is on the bracket, how do you take it back off? I'm wondering because there is so little clearance around the TV to get back in there.

- Chris
post #815 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

- but I think my 2 TV's looks 100X better than a hanging picture look with an exposed (albeit thin) wall mount behind.

It doesn't look THAT bad, does it?
LL

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #816 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post
It doesn't look THAT bad, does it?
OK, only 50X better Your install indeed looks great, so no offense. In my bedroom you can enter the room looking perpedicular to the TV - so the pocket really frames the TV and helps hide the brackets and wires. In my old house, the TV looked "tacked" on with one of the original wall mounts that stuck out 3 inches.
post #817 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Thanks Plasman, this was all great information. I have one follow-up question regarding the quoted answer above. For the mount above, how do you get to the back of the TV to adjust and tighten the TV mounting bracket? And once the TV is on the bracket, how do you take it back off? I'm wondering because there is so little clearance around the TV to get back in there.

- Chris
Oh you mean I have to be able to take it off? I'm old, so I simply got a TV with a MTBF that was longer than my actuarial table predicts. It will be my wife's problem

There just has to be enough clearance for fingers to get in there and hang it. I set the tilting mechanism screws so that motion was possible but very firm. I was not able to tilt out the bottom enough to tighten the 2 retaining screws but I left them in a position which does some good in terms of preventing the TV from getting unhooked from the top hangers during vertical movement in an earthquake.
post #818 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen2 View Post
Hey guys--

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a 5 speaker set-up using monoprice's in ceiling (6.5 inch 2-way) speakers for the front and rears. I am wondering about the center channel though. I am looking at getting the 60" LG 60PK550 and wall mounting it with monoprice's corner wall mount (id # 4926). I have a full-height fireplace (stone from floor to ceiling) and then to the right is a cutout where the Tv will be mounted. Problem is, the cutout is only 41" wide (across) and 20" in depth. This means I will mount the tv so it is outside of the cutout. This means the monoprice in-wall center speaker will be 20" min behind the tv. Do you guys think it will impact the performance of the speaker in any way? Will it echo "inside" the cutout and drive me nuts, or sound perfectly normal? Any input you guys could give me would be awesome!

Also, if you think I shouldn't go with monoprice's center speaker, do you guys have an alternative that pairs well with the other monoprice speakers? I am on a huge budget, but I want something that sounds good but not uber-spendy (ideal would be under 50 bucks but not sure that is possible).

Let me know if you need clarification on my wall and cutout--it is hard to convert into words

Thanks! I know you guys will have some expert opinions and knowledge to share

Long Live AVS
Anybody have any suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

jjensen2
post #819 of 1863 Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM

I am still looking for suggestions for a good Center Channel to match up with either the 6.5 or 8.0 surrounds? I need in ceiling for everything but the Center. Thanks!!!
post #820 of 1863 Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh you mean I have to be able to take it off? I'm old, so I simply got a TV with a MTBF that was longer than my actuarial table predicts. It will be my wife's problem

There just has to be enough clearance for fingers to get in there and hang it. I set the tilting mechanism screws so that motion was possible but very firm. I was not able to tilt out the bottom enough to tighten the 2 retaining screws but I left them in a position which does some good in terms of preventing the TV from getting unhooked from the top hangers during vertical movement in an earthquake.

Cool, I was thinking of doing the same thing. One more question... It looks like the recess is framed with 2x4s. Is this correct? Was the back wall of the recess covered with sheetrock, or did you attach the bracket directly to framing?

I'm asking all these questions because I have to draw out the fireplace framing and give it to the builder. Since it's new construction, it all has to be framed and finished, inspected by the township, etc. I can't just get in there and tweak it until it's right. Well I could, but it's easier to have the builder do it right the first time.

Right now I'm aiming to frame out a 78" wide fireplace. This puts me right on the hairy edge of being barely big enough for a 52" TV with a speaker on each side, or having to step down to a 47" TV. I'm going to wait until they have the rough framing done and see how much distance there is between the window frames, then make a decision based on that.

This is gonna be so great!

- Chris
post #821 of 1863 Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I went through my construction photos and these may help. The pocket is fully drywalled. The pocket is 54" x 33" to accomodate the Samsung 55" TV. I even put 4 special lag screws into the studs before drywall for the Monoprice mount to connect to. The lags have screw threads like a lag bolt but a machine threaded hex face. The drywallers simply made holes for these to pop through. The framing diagram is amateurish but was my attempt to explain this to the builder.

post #822 of 1863 Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post

I am still looking for suggestions for a good Center Channel to match up with either the 6.5 or 8.0 surrounds? I need in ceiling for everything but the Center. Thanks!!!

Honestly I would just look for a good Black Friday deal and get the best center channel you can buy, I wouldnt worry about matching it too much. I dont have matching rears and you would never know.
post #823 of 1863 Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Honestly I would just look for a good Black Friday deal and get the best center channel you can buy, I wouldnt worry about matching it too much. I dont have matching rears and you would never know.

Matching C to FR and FL is far more important than matching to the rear surrounds.

I used 3x monoprice center channels for my C, FR, and FL. This worked extremely well for me, but if you have monoprice FR and FL then I would whole heartedly recommend a monoprice C. The higher end speakers from monoprice are no longer 4ohm like they were when I made my purchases, so I would go with the higher end C unit now that it's 8ohm. The binding posts and cross over are higher quality.
post #824 of 1863 Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaid View Post

Matching C to FR and FL is far more important than matching to the rear surrounds.

I used 3x monoprice center channels for my C, FR, and FL. This worked extremely well for me, but if you have monoprice FR and FL then I would whole heartedly recommend a monoprice C. The higher end speakers from monoprice are no longer 4ohm like they were when I made my purchases, so I would go with the higher end C unit now that it's 8ohm. The binding posts and cross over are higher quality.

I can't use the MP Center in-wall speakers because I have AV cabinetry installed in the center and there really is not room. So I need to use a cabinet style center channel speaker that can sit on the shelving just below the TV. That is why I am looking for suggestions for pairing a different center with the FL and FR from Monoprice. Thanks!!!
post #825 of 1863 Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post

I can't use the MP Center in-wall speakers because I have AV cabinetry installed in the center and there really is not room. So I need to use a cabinet style center channel speaker that can sit on the shelving just below the TV. That is why I am looking for suggestions for pairing a different center with the FL and FR from Monoprice. Thanks!!!

Sorry about the confusion. I don't think you'll ever be able to timber match without bringing center channels to your home theater and auditioning them. Only higher end stores selling expensive products are likely to allow this. Since that doesn't fit the monoprice theme of low-budget, I don't think it will be an attractive option.

As the previous response said, just buying the best you can afford might be your best option. You could look for products with similar speaker construction and similar crossover components, but this won't guarantee anything in terms of timber matching...it might be wasted effort.
post #826 of 1863 Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine has MP in-ceiling for L/R and a paradigm studio center channel, lol. Probably not the best timbre match, but YPAO will try and EQ the difference I believe. IMHO, if you are using low budget speakers like MP, then SQ isn't a priority so any center should suffice your particular needs.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #827 of 1863 Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I went through my construction photos and these may help.

This information is perfect. Thanks Plasman! I'll need to adapt this to a 47" TV since we have less room between the windows, but that should be straightforward. Thanks very much for all your help. Once we get to framing, I will also share pictures with my fellow AVSers to document the in-wall speaker installation aspects.
post #828 of 1863 Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine has MP in-ceiling for L/R and a paradigm studio center channel, lol. Probably not the best timbre match, but YPAO will try and EQ the difference I believe. IMHO, if you are using low budget speakers like MP, then SQ isn't a priority so any center should suffice your particular needs.

Honestly the MP speakers are really good for the price, they arent as good as maybe 1000 dollar in ceilings but they are still really good speakers.

That being said I used Niles Audio for my fronts and Center, they are really good quality and I got a great deal on them, my setup sounds great and I cant imagine how it could sound any better.

(aside from an upgraded subwoofer)
post #829 of 1863 Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Liked: 31
I have just installed the 8" 3 Way monoprice in walls and they are being used for surround sound duty. I have to say im very impressed with the build quality, and the sound quality. I had to install them and remove them quite a few times, the screw calmps held very well. And for sound quality, they sound very "balanced" and im using them with pioneer elite, so they can handle a fair share of power... I wouldn't use them for fronts, i have definitive technology up front bookshelfs and CLR center.
post #830 of 1863 Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by **OptimusPrime** View Post

The speaker set-up I have includes:
1 4881 (5-1/4 Inches Center Channel In-Wall Speaker),
4 4101 for my L/R mains as well as my L/R surrounds (8 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Wall Speakers (Pair) - 80W Nominal, 120W Max),
and 2 4104 for my rear surrounds (8 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - 80W Nominal, 160W Max).

I have since retired my Denon AVR 3300 and am now using a friend's Harman Kardon AVR 335 with the included SUBTS-14 200 watt powered subwoofer.

Using this receiver, I am able to set crossover frequencies. I have experimented with the auto-calibration setup from the AVR (called "EZset"), but the results came back weird:
Front L/R = 150Hz
C = 60 Hz
Surround R/L = 150Hz
Rear Surround R/L = 200 Hz

I would think setting your center channel to 60 Hz is a bad idea!

What crossover settings are being used by the people in this thread?

Thanks again for your help fellow AVSers!
post #831 of 1863 Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Liked: 31
i should also mention the bass resposne from these was pretty decent, the x over is 80hz for me for all my speakers...
post #832 of 1863 Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Hey guys, im about to order my 3 front speakers and was wondering what route I should take.

Would you go with 3 of these: 5-1/4 Inches Center Channel Micro-Flanged In-Wall Speaker - 8 Ohm

or

2 of these: 8 Inches Kevlar 3-Way High Power In-Wall Speaker (Pair) - 100W Nominal, 200W Max
and 1 center from above

My thought process for using the 3 centers as my FR, FL, and C was purely aesthetic. The room is large and opens into another room (its 26x20 with 10' tray ceiling) so maybe I would be better suited to use the 8" 3 ways for the FR and FL?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #833 of 1863 Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by **OptimusPrime** View Post

I have since retired my Denon AVR 3300 and am now using a friend's Harman Kardon AVR 335 with the included SUBTS-14 200 watt powered subwoofer.

Using this receiver, I am able to set crossover frequencies. I have experimented with the auto-calibration setup from the AVR (called "EZset"), but the results came back weird:
Front L/R = 150Hz
C = 60 Hz
Surround R/L = 150Hz
Rear Surround R/L = 200 Hz

I would think setting your center channel to 60 Hz is a bad idea!

What crossover settings are being used by the people in this thread?

Thanks again for your help fellow AVSers!

Another quick update...I downloaded the DVDaudio test, v.2 available through another thread on the AVS forum. I decided to use it to test the various Hz frequencies on each individual speaker, both with the sub on and off to help determine where the "breaks" were.

I also used the sweeps to help determine where the crossover sounds best.

I'm definitely no expert, and I was NOT using any equipment other than my ears, but I was astounded with the results. For my room size/type, EZset was actually spot on - for the most part.

For the curious minded, at -30db, below are the lowest HZ results (clearly audible from the main listening/viewing area) for each of the speakers I am using:

8" 2 way in wall = 60 Hz
5 1/4 " in wall center = 50 Hz
8" 2 way in ceiling = 80 Hz

Using the 300-30Hz sweep, I set my crossovers to the following:
Front L/R = 120Hz
C = 60 Hz
Surround L/R = 150 Hz
Rear L/R = 200 Hz

I guess EZset tries to achieve complete room balance, figuring the center channel being used for primarily dialogue in HT situations. Setting the crossover lower on the center channel achieved a more realistic sound for speaking voices (I literally cannot hear the sub for speaking voices at all), which is what I was hoping to achieve.

Does anyone else care to share their crossover settings for these speakers? I am hoping we can learn more about their "real-world" specs since MonoPrice does not list their recommended crossover levels.
post #834 of 1863 Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 PM

Either choice will suffice. I went with 3x center channels for FR, FL, and C.
It seems that most choose the alternative. You will get slightly better bass response from the 8" in walls vs the center channels, but this is less relevant when you incorporate a subwoofer, and less so again when you optimize with Audessey, YPAO, etc.

If you go back a few pages in this thread you'll come across the posts from my install.

Like I said, either choice is adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnbk2 View Post

Hey guys, im about to order my 3 front speakers and was wondering what route I should take.

Would you go with 3 of these: 5-1/4 Inches Center Channel Micro-Flanged In-Wall Speaker - 8 Ohm

or

2 of these: 8 Inches Kevlar 3-Way High Power In-Wall Speaker (Pair) - 100W Nominal, 200W Max
and 1 center from above

My thought process for using the 3 centers as my FR, FL, and C was purely aesthetic. The room is large and opens into another room (its 26x20 with 10' tray ceiling) so maybe I would be better suited to use the 8" 3 ways for the FR and FL?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

post #835 of 1863 Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Hey guys--

Thanks! I know you guys will have some expert opinions and knowledge to share.
post #836 of 1863 Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen2 View Post

Hey guys--

Thanks! I know you guys will have some expert opinions and knowledge to share.

Putting the speaker behind the tv inside the cut out is a very BAD idea. The sound will be muffled you may not even hear the speaker playing

I would try mounting the tv to the fireplace stone. Hide the cable as best you can. If you are using a hdim receiver you will only be hiding 2cables the power cable for tv and the hdmi cable from the receiver. Then I would close off the cut out with drywall and mount the speaker there

I would also try and mount a center speaker above or below the tv. But you wil not be able to use a in wall speaker for that

Use your imagination stare at the fireplace and figure out a way to do it. I am sure it can be done some how
May cut out the mortar around the stone put the wire in the cut out and then cover the wire with new mortar
post #837 of 1863 Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothjake View Post

Putting the speaker behind the tv inside the cut out is a very BAD idea. The sound will be muffled you may not even hear the speaker playing

I would try mounting the tv to the fireplace stone. Hide the cable as best you can. If you are using a hdim receiver you will only be hiding 2cables the power cable for tv and the hdmi cable from the receiver. Then I would close off the cut out with drywall and mount the speaker there

I would also try and mount a center speaker above or below the tv. But you wil not be able to use a in wall speaker for that

Use your imagination stare at the fireplace and figure out a way to do it. I am sure it can be done some how
May cut out the mortar around the stone put the wire in the cut out and then cover the wire with new mortar

Any other suggestions? I don't think I want to mess with the wall or mounting the TV to the fireplace--too much hassle and potential for bad things as the fireplace gets really hot.

Has anyone been able to find a good, cheap center channel speaker that matches the Mono in-ceiling speakers??

I would appreciate any input anyone has on this subject, or pertaining to my previous post.

Thanks!
post #838 of 1863 Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 AM

For those of you running these in a 5.1 setup, which is what I will be doing, what are you setting the Xover point to in your reciever's??
post #839 of 1863 Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

above that of your low end freq response of the speaker. My freq response of my Take FPS is around 65 Hz bottom end...I set my xo 80 or higher (around 100 I think).

post #840 of 1863 Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

above that of your low end freq response of the speaker. My freq response of my Take FPS is around 65 Hz bottom end...I set my xo 80 or higher (around 100 I think).

That is what I was thinking as well but just wanted to get a little feedback on the matter. Thanks for the response.
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page