2Likes

post #1531 of 1889 Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

Thanks, you think for ceiling use the 4104's are a better option than say the 4101?
The 4104 has better bass response. Its specified to get down to 43 Hz vs the 4101's 52 Hz. The 4101 is more sensitive at 91 db vs 89 db for the 4104. The 4104 will have better bass. The 4101 will play louder at the same volume setting. Since you mentioned bass is important, and you will be playing without a subwoofer I would go with the 4104, but that is up to you. You are trading bass (4104) for loudness (4101).

If your receiver does not have very much power you may want the higher sensitivity of the 4101, but if it has sufficient power you would probably be happier with the additional bass of the 4104.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1889 Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post

The 4104 has better bass response. Its specified to get down to 43 Hz vs the 4101's 52 Hz. The 4101 is more sensitive at 91 db vs 89 db for the 4104. The 4104 will have better bass. The 4101 will play louder at the same volume setting. Since you mentioned bass is important, and you will be playing without a subwoofer I would go with the 4104, but that is up to you. You are trading bass (4104) for loudness (4101).
If your receiver does not have very much power you may want the higher sensitivity of the 4101, but if it has sufficient power you would probably be happier with the additional bass of the 4104.

Perfect, thanks. I'll pick up a receiver on kijiji, I'll make sure that it has decent power, not that I need to crank it in the garage tho. Getting close to placing my order for my basement system as well.

Looking for guidance

LCR - 7604

Surrounds: 4619's

Pretty set on the 7604's but not sure about the surrounds? The 4619's "look" like the best option for in ceiling surrounds but not sure. Suggestions welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1533 of 1889 Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

Perfect, thanks. I'll pick up a receiver on kijiji, I'll make sure that it has decent power, not that I need to crank it in the garage tho. Getting close to placing my order for my basement system as well.
Looking for guidance
LCR - 7604
Surrounds: 4619's
Pretty set on the 7604's but not sure about the surrounds? The 4619's "look" like the best option for in ceiling surrounds but not sure. Suggestions welcome.

The 7604 are great, but I'd look more at the 4104 or 4929 for surrounds if going with round speakers. The 4619 (85+/-2) specs especially the sensitivity is low. You'd have to bump the level pretty high (about double) to match the output of the 7604s (89db+/-2).

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #1534 of 1889 Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

The 7604 are great, but I'd look more at the 4104 or 4929 for surrounds if going with round speakers. The 4619 (85+/-2) specs especially the sensitivity is low. You'd have to bump the level pretty high (about double) to match the output of the 7604s (89db+/-2).

4929's look like a great option, thanks

post #1535 of 1889 Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Installed 4 7604s over the last couple of nights. Haven't really gotten a chance to listen to them yet but I thought I'd pass along a tip (this may have been posted before and I forgot, but if so it bears repeating):

BEFORE you try to mount the speakers, with the speakers just sitting out of the wall thread the screws all the way through the mounting tabs. The mounting tabs aren't threaded, and the screws are designed to thread themselves through the plastic. This creates significant resistance when trying to tighten the screws and as others have reported and I found out the hard way, results in a fairly high probability that you'll break off a mounting tab.

Threading the screws through first with the speaker out of the wall lets you do this while holding the tab and watching the screw go in at the correct angle. You get a lot more feedback on what is going on and if you take your time you shouldn't have any trouble threading the tab all the way through. Once the inside of the tab is threaded the screw goes in much easier and the only resistance you'll feel when mounting is when the tab starts to draw the speaker in against the mounting surface.

For 2 speakers I did without doing this, I broke off 3 or 4 out of 12 tabs. For the 2 speakers where I used this technique I didn't break any.
post #1536 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I installed a pair of 4104s in my garage last night. I can now play my entire music library in my main listening room, back porch (zone 2), or the garage (zone 3), all controlled through my phone or iPod. Gotta love modern technology...

Anyhow, the monoprice speakers sound pretty good. Decent clarity, good bass response. For $60, I have no complaints whatsoever.
post #1537 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I installed a pair of 4104s in my garage last night. I can now play my entire music library in my main listening room, back porch (zone 2), or the garage (zone 3), all controlled through my phone or iPod. Gotta love modern technology...
Anyhow, the monoprice speakers sound pretty good. Decent clarity, good bass response. For $60, I have no complaints whatsoever.
Out of curiosity, what are you using for amp/amps to drive you zones. We are building a new house and I want to install a few zones, that are driven by Airplay via a few Airport Express base stations. Ideally I need an amp with multiple zones, or multiple amps that have auto sense turn on. I don't want to have to walk over to a receiver to turn on my zones... So far I have found the following.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_543X75/Russound-X75.html?tp=20418

I was thinking either one would work well for each zone.
post #1538 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what are you using for amp/amps to drive you zones. We are building a new house and I want to install a few zones, that are driven by Airplay via a few Airport Express base stations. Ideally I need an amp with multiple zones, or multiple amps that have auto sense turn on. I don't want to have to walk over to a receiver to turn on my zones... So far I have found the following.

Which receiver? Does it have network capability?

Our main yamaha receiver has zone2 powered so no need for external amps. Garage is a separate receiver but both of them are controlled with yamaha AV controller app via tablet or phone from anywhere around the house wifi.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #1539 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

Which receiver? Does it have network capability?
Our main yamaha receiver has zone2 powered so no need for external amps. Garage is a separate receiver but both of them are controlled with yamaha AV controller app via tablet or phone from anywhere around the house wifi.
Oh Ok.

No I wasn't planning on having a receiver at all. I just found quite a few OSD amps that would do the job I'm looking at well too. Particularly this one would do it all.

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/6-zone-multi-channel-amp-osd-mx1260.html

My setup would be to have a few Airport Expresses connected to the amp above.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB321LL/A/refurbished-airport-express-base-station-with-80211n-and-airtunes

The whole thing would be in a closet or in the basement. The auto-sense would power up the amp whenever an iPad, iPod, IPhone or iTunes sends audio to the Airport Express over Airplay.
post #1540 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm running everything through my Yamaha A3010 (which has three powered zones). I control all three zones through the yamaha app on my phone, and don't need any additional equipment.
post #1541 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I'm running everything through my Yamaha A3010 (which has three powered zones). I control all three zones through the yamaha app on my phone, and don't need any additional equipment.
Sounds like a nice setup. How have all the networking and App features worked out on your Yamaha receiver? I've generally been extremely disappointed with the implementation of smart features in most TVs and Blueray players. Which is why I was looking for a "less integrated" solution.

I'm sure a dedicated Amp will always do what its use intended, I don't have a lot of faith in most electronic companies to provide software updates for new features. 2-3 years when the next phone/tablet comes out would Yamaha release an updated app for that new device? I kind of doubt it. Which is why I was just looking for simple auto-sense amps to drive my zones, then connect my networking (smart) source to it. For example if I wanted to switch to a Sonos system down the road instead of Airplay, I'd just replace the Airport Express with a Sonos Connect etc.
post #1542 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like a nice setup. How have all the networking and App features worked out on your Yamaha receiver? I've generally been extremely disappointed with the implementation of smart features in most TVs and Blueray players. Which is why I was looking for a "less integrated" solution.
I'm sure a dedicated Amp will always do what its use intended, I don't have a lot of faith in most electronic companies to provide software updates for new features. 2-3 years when the next phone/tablet comes out would Yamaha release an updated app for that new device? I kind of doubt it. Which is why I was just looking for simple auto-sense amps to drive my zones, then connect my networking (smart) source to it. For example if I wanted to switch to a Sonos system down the road instead of Airplay, I'd just replace the Airport Express with a Sonos Connect etc.

I previously had an Onkyo 3008, which also had network control. The Onkyo app was terrible, and I ended up using a third party app to control my second zone. It wasn't very reliable (often had trouble detecting my receiver, very laggy, etc). I have had no such issues with the Yamaha network controls, and the application interface is excellent. Yamaha doesn't create a separate app for each network-controlled receiver, so I think your concern about future updates is somewhat mitigated. Obviously they may add features that only work on certain receivers, but I don't think they will completely drop support for older products.

Anyhow, setup was a breeze (the app instantly detected my receiver), and controlling my three zones couldn't be any simpler. My only concern is that my wife might give me a bunch of new projects now that I have the garage speakers to keep me entertained. smile.gif
Daniel Smith likes this.
post #1543 of 1889 Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

I previously had an Onkyo 3008, which also had network control. The Onkyo app was terrible, and I ended up using a third party app to control my second zone. It wasn't very reliable (often had trouble detecting my receiver, very laggy, etc). I have had no such issues with the Yamaha network controls, and the application interface is excellent. Yamaha doesn't create a separate app for each network-controlled receiver, so I think your concern about future updates is somewhat mitigated. Obviously they may add features that only work on certain receivers, but I don't think they will completely drop support for older products.
Anyhow, setup was a breeze (the app instantly detected my receiver), and controlling my three zones couldn't be any simpler. My only concern is that my wife might give me a bunch of new projects now that I have the garage speakers to keep me entertained. smile.gif
That is good to heat that Yamaha's implementation is top notch. If they keep that up it will really pay off in future based on the implementation of so many other electronics companies.

I'm still looking to keep my networking/smart features separate from my audio/amp implementation. I guess I'm just jaded, but the current home networking technology (tablets, audio streaming, smartphones Airplay/Sonos Pandora etc) is still in its infancy. I see a lot of change coming over the next 5-10 years. Today's tech could be completely obsolete in 5 years...
post #1544 of 1889 Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM

So I'm deciding on a 5.1 HT setup and from a budget stand point I've narrowed it down to the monoprice in-wall (7604) or the Polk RC65i. I like the idea of the Polk being able to aim the tweeter but not sure how important that may be.

Can anyone give me some guidance or advice which may be better.

The basement area is 18x13 with 7.5ft ceilings. I'll be adding a sub to either setup and receiver will be a Denon 1913 or 2113.

Thanks so much
post #1545 of 1889 Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper8u2 View Post

I found the code here:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/monoprice.com
I used the 20% code
Not sure how it could be tied to my account, looked like a general one but expires on the 25th

For anyone who wasn't able to get the Monoprice "Incentive" 20% off code to work (I couldn't either): I emailed Monoprice customer support earlier this week, and they told me to just note the code in the "Special instructions" field during the ordering process. It seems like it's working for some accounts, but not others. I placed my order and they applied the discount as a refund to my credit card within a few hours. I'd suggest emailing customer support before you try this ... but it worked for me.
post #1546 of 1889 Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM

I'm wondering what most of other people do. I already installed the Left and Right speakers, I obviously chose spacing between beams so the speakers would fit. But I centered my tv mount on a beam so it can hold the weight of my tv. Now when I try to cut the wall for my center speaker, obviously the beam is in the way. I'm afraid I'm going to have to install my center channel speaker a little off-centered but am afraid it's going to look bad. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this obstacle. What do you do? Since I have a pair of 7604's, I'm thinking of installing the other one a little off-centered on the left side to bring back the symmetric feel. Everything I've read says hooking up two center channels is a bad idea, so maybe I'll just put the second one in and not hook it up. Seems like an awful waste of money. But it would look good! Any thoughts?
post #1547 of 1889 Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Liked: 12
It would drive me crazy not having a centered speaker. I would determine if it was a load bearing wall, add support if needed, then cut the stud.
post #1548 of 1889 Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 AM

K - I built the inwall box using foam insulation boards to size for the 4 - 8" 3ways, and the dual woofer 6" micro bevel as centre. Now for the receiver to power these.

I know these aren't top grade speakers - yes, I let the secret out. Would it be a complete waste of money to drop cash for a Pioneer Elite SC-61 or even a SC-65?
post #1549 of 1889 Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

I have read about every page on this thread. I'm closer to a decision but still undecided on which to get.

I am having a home built and prewired for 5.1 in the walls. The room is 19x16 with 2 story ceilings.

I am using a Denon 2113 to run the setup

I cannot mount the center channel nor the sub.

I have a zone 2 outside that I need 2 in ceiling speakers for as well

1. I gather that the 7604 are the best choice judging by the thread. However are the cheaper 7607 and others that much worse?

2.any recommended stand alone sub and center channel that won't break the bank?

3. Any thoughts on the ceiling speakers outside?

Thanks in advance.
post #1550 of 1889 Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 28
Has anyone determined whether the 4881 center channel is definitively a 4 or 8 ohm speaker? I know there were some "mislabelings" on boxes and on their website - but I don't remember there ever being a test to detemine the truth.

I did request the information with Monoprice over the summer, but never heard back.
post #1551 of 1889 Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Yon:

I've tried the 7604, and it's ideal for the center chanel. It's got great mid range coverage, and for vocals even better than the 6816 (8" 3-way) for that purpose. I have the 6816 for fronts and surrounds. If I had to redo this, I wouldn't hessitate to install the 7604 all around for fronts, center, surrounds. Then let the 10" passive inwall fill the rest (woofer), and a dedicated 12" powered subwoofer to cover my LFE/subwoofer.

Augie:
Usually, the TV mount is secured on 2 studs (16" on center, or if you are so unfortunate, 24" on center). Which means you have a cavity to mount the center channel.
post #1552 of 1889 Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 13
Hello **OptimusPrime**,

Now despite the description on the box, it is indeed a 4 ohm speaker. This is an issue we are currently trying to resolve and do apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Also, if you'd like, we can provide you with the frequency response graph for the speakers in order to confirm this. Sorry again for any trouble and hope this helps!

Regards,
Monoprice Tech Support
post #1553 of 1889 Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 View Post

Hello **OptimusPrime**,
Now despite the description on the box, it is indeed a 4 ohm speaker. This is an issue we are currently trying to resolve and do apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Also, if you'd like, we can provide you with the frequency response graph for the speakers in order to confirm this. Sorry again for any trouble and hope this helps!
Regards,
Monoprice Tech Support
Within this very thread, about 20 pages ago, Quaid had been provided the same response graphs. I though it had been determined then that the two 5.25" speakers were wired in series, which then makes the speaker overall 8 ohm. Is this not the case?
This is very frustrating. I just want to know what the impedance is!!
post #1554 of 1889 Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM

i've been doing a bit of research on Monoprice Speakers and this forum's posts have helped tremendously. I bought their 12 inch sub last week as well as the 5 1/4 model 6317 center channel and was so impressed I just ordered the 6816 8 inch 3 way and the 7604 6 1/2 dual woofer for my fronts and surrounds. Just to pass this on, I found a coupon for 10 percent off for the first order but couldn't find anything for the 2nd order. I used Monoprices text/customer service and told "Brenda" that I had a order together but wasnt going to complete it until I found a coupon. She credited my order 20 percent! Can't argue with that customer service.

Just some background on what I'm building. I have a Denon 2313 Receiver, a Panasonic 5000U (or something like that) projector, 100 inch screen and am currently finishing up the basement construction. The room is 28x15 and I built a false wall and recessed a ventless fireplace and shelving into the back wall. Next are the side surrounds and the 2nd sub (which I'm not sure if I'm going with Monoprice or try to find something that gets a bit lower in the "boom' dept.). I'm trying to keep everything on a budget and part of the agreement was my wife getting a tanning bed (which I got and was a bitch getting into the basement.). She hates seeing everything sitting on the floor and on stands so hence the recessed shelving and inwall/ceiling speakers. Love Monoprice!

Looking for some feedback, suggestions, insults....
post #1555 of 1889 Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
xp0

I know everyone talks about mounting the 7604's in a vertical position and which way to face them, etc but is there any reason I can't mount these in a horizontal position? I have soffits I am building around the perimeter of my room and these will fit in as long as I have them mounted horizontally. This will not impact their performance, will it?

Also, could I use 3 pairs of these as my front/surround/rears?

Not sure what I am doing for center or Sub yet...

Thanks in advance
post #1556 of 1889 Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM

For my Dad's setup we're using 7604 for LCR. The center will be horizontal due to space. The surrounds we picked 4104 also due to space.
Sub will be a unique in wall design using dual Infinity 1260w and a pro amp for juice.

If interested in the infinity subs there are builds on AVS in the diy speakers and subs area.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18916_Infinity-Reference-1260W.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=15593773&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1
They went out of stock at the moment.

post #1557 of 1889 Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp0 View Post

I know everyone talks about mounting the 7604's in a vertical position and which way to face them, etc but is there any reason I can't mount these in a horizontal position? I have soffits I am building around the perimeter of my room and these will fit in as long as I have them mounted horizontally. This will not impact their performance, will it?

Also, could I use 3 pairs of these as my front/surround/rears?

Not sure what I am doing for center or Sub yet...

Thanks in advance

I'm sure they will sound great. I would mount the tweeter and mids to the outside, and the woofer to the inside of the installation. When using a 7604, there really isn't an ideal mounting direction.

I just noticed that Dayton Audio also came out with a very similar in wall series of speakers. They are a little bit more money, I'd be interested in hearing comparisons though. The 8" 2-Way that comes with both square and round covers looks very promising.

http://www.parts-express.com/term/dayton_audio_micro_edge
post #1558 of 1889 Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 15
I'm working on finishing my basement, and decided I needed to test speakers prior to permanently closing the walls. I started with a pair of BIC America HT8W's. I figured they were designed with the "assistance of the Hsu Research team", so they were worth a try. I mounted them in a stud bay, closed it up, connected the speakers to a Russound CAV6.6, and listened. First impression was that they extended low enough, and detail was pretty good--although certainly not as clear as the Zaph ZA5.3's I have upstairs. As I listened some more, I heard a bit more distortion than I liked. So back they went.

I considered ordering some of the Mordaunt Short Avant Architect in-walls from Accessories4Less based on recommendations I've seen in other threads. Built by (or for) a company with an excellent reputation, I figured they might be worth a try, even if they were a bit more expensive than the BIC America's. But I searched the web for quite a while, and couldn't find any actual reviews: they were recommended, but I couldn't find any experience reports.

So I decided to take a chance with the Monoprice speakers. I ordered 6 pairs. Two pairs of 7604's for LCR. Two pairs of 6816's for surround. And two pairs of 4104's to finish up my multi-room audio installation.

How do they sound? Excellent. Especially for the price. I like the 7604's (LCR). They don't go very low, but they have excellent detail and excellent distortion. The 4104's sound good, but I like the 6816's better for music. So I will probably switch them around. We'll see over the next few weeks.

My only concern is that they aren't sealed. Has anyone actually created an enclosure for any of these models?

post #1559 of 1889 Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM

Liked: 11
I have a one new 7604 available if anyone is interested for $50 shipped. Its ready to go so just PM me (hate they are only sold in a pair)!
post #1560 of 1889 Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Hi guys, thanks to everyone on here for the useful info. I just joined up because I'm trying to do something a bit different with the Monoprice 7604s and couldn't get any answers from them. I noticed a couple of posts on here about creating enclosures for these - I'm going to be installing two of them in the face of an old media console I'm restoring, and one for a surround in a kitchen island behind a dishwasher (this faces back into the room). The fourth will go in-wall as intended on the other side of the room. I'd like to build enclosures behind them in the media console and the cabinet to try and get the best performance. Could anyone suggest how big I should make these enclosures?
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page