5Likes

post #1861 of 1953 Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post
Thanks for the help gents. The circular 7605 might actually work! I'm guessing the horizontal placement wouldn't sound right for the regular 6816 speakers huh? Because if I flipped them sideways, problem solved but I'm getting the feeling it's a no no. That diagram! thanks for your time. I thought that out as well and I think it would be too risky with the possibility of a gaping hole rather than a junction box one.

I wish it were my place, it's my auta & uncle's they just had built after tearing it down to the foundation...
The 7605 is identical to the 7604 but it is very large and very deap. Make sure you measure everything and have enough space you wouldn't be the first to get those speakers and realize that you didn't have enough room and return them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1953 Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was a very helpful thread; Thanks Daniel Smith and Charvel74 for the comments although I've yet to buy the sub I do like all the money I saved in opting for the Monoprice speakers. They sound great and even better once i get the sub. I posted some pics of the front and rear of the room. 6317 center, 4101 front and rear L/R and on the ceiling Elan for my surrounds. I also left some extra wires on the ceiling for additional speakers for when i get an Atmos receiver (if affordable)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-09 23.59.19.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	164001   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-14 12.24.54.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	164009  
post #1863 of 1953 Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperezmvp View Post
This was a very helpful thread; Thanks Daniel Smith and Charvel74 for the comments although I've yet to buy the sub I do like all the money I saved in opting for the Monoprice speakers. They sound great and even better once i get the sub. I posted some pics of the front and rear of the room. 6317 center, 4101 front and rear L/R and on the ceiling Elan for my surrounds. I also left some extra wires on the ceiling for additional speakers for when i get an Atmos receiver (if affordable)
The pictures look great! Please post more once you get the rest done. I have had my Dayton sub 1500 for over a month now. It sounds fantastic and is quite powerful. Enjoy your new setup
jperezmvp likes this.
post #1864 of 1953 Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 PM

I have a single 7604 if anyone is interested. Used for about 6 months, broken in and works perfect, just replaced it with a 6816 to match the rest of my system. PM me if interested, thanks.
post #1865 of 1953 Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am going to get 6816's for my fronts and back. Should I get another 6816 for my center or should I get the 6317?

Will there be a problem with mounting the 6816's horizontally as opposed to vertically?

Thnx
post #1866 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykull View Post
I am going to get 6816's for my fronts and back. Should I get another 6816 for my center or should I get the 6317?

Will there be a problem with mounting the 6816's horizontally as opposed to vertically?

Thnx
Yes I recommend getting another 6816 or a 7604 for your center. The dedicated center speakers from Monoprice are quite underpowered compared to the 6816 and 7604. And they dont even fit between 16" oc studs.
post #1867 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrules23 View Post
Yes I recommend getting another 6816 or a 7604 for your center. The dedicated center speakers from Monoprice are quite underpowered compared to the 6816 and 7604. And they don't even fit between 16" oc studs.
The 6317 fits fine between two 16" on center studs. The cutout is 12 3/5".

Power handling isn't an issue at this price range...if it is you are severely miss-allocating your home theater funds.

Buying at 6816 or 7604 for a center to match the other's is fine, but I think you could get very good results by buying 3X 6317s as well.
post #1868 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes I recommend getting another 6816 or a 7604 for your center. The dedicated center speakers from Monoprice are quite underpowered compared to the 6816 and 7604. And they dont even fit between 16" oc studs.
Not disagreeing with your assessment, but the Monoprice center channel speakers should easily fit in the 14.5" space between studs.
Overall Dimensions (WxHxD) 13 3/5" x 6 9/10" x 3"
Cutout Dimensions (WxH) 12 3/5" x 5 9/10"

What makes you think they don't?
post #1869 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroguy View Post
Not disagreeing with your assessment, but the Monoprice center channel speakers should easily fit in the 14.5" space between studs.

The 4881 doesn't which was Monoprice's first center channel speaker. His information just needs to be updated with the newer model.
post #1870 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroguy View Post

Bah I was wrong, center speaker 4881 does not fit, but that would be the one that would match aesthetically to the 6816, the other center they have will fit but it has the micro flange
post #1871 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Do you need to build enclosures for these? Or do they handle good sound without? I am looking for surround sound speakers.
post #1872 of 1953 Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post
The 4881 doesn't which was Monoprice's first center channel speaker. His information just needs to be updated with the newer model.
Time for me to eat crow! I looked at one and assumed they were the same. Thanks for clarifying.
post #1873 of 1953 Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
Do you need to build enclosures for these? Or do they handle good sound without? I am looking for surround sound speakers.
It's a question about sound containment more than how they will sound. The walls will act as an enclosure no matter what but a wooden enclosure will somewhat prevent the sound from escaping the room and in that way may return a little more sound to the room (not sure about that last part but it would make sense).
post #1874 of 1953 Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Fun/cautionary tale for anyone installing in-walls...

So, now that my basement is nearly finished I've finally gotten to try out the 7604s I installed in the walls (I've had lots of in-wall/in-ceiling Monoprice speakers, but never the 7604s). Fun test to see what kind of punch they have without a sub, because that hasn't arrived yet. Attached is a picture of my 70" Vizio with three of the 7604s around it -- I installed 7 of them.

Anyway, upon firing them up, I rather quickly experienced two alarming things:

1. Crackling/weak sound from the front left speaker (not good)
2. My Denon X-4000 would shut down and go into safety mode whenever there was a spike in sound output (REALLY not good)

A little research reveals that one of the common reasons the Denon does this is when the positive and negative signals are shorting on one of the speaker channels. OK...so I verify the connections on the back of the receiver are fine, rip out all my wall jacks, make sure nothing is touching there, and finally (reluctantly, since they were already painted while on the wall) I remove the left front 7604 from the wall. After removing it from the wall with the speaker just resting on the floor, I rerun my test, and everything works fine.

I look in the wall cavity and realize what's happening -- there was thin aluminum-like flashing/covering on the insulation batt. It was contacting the two large metal terminals on the back of the speaker when it was installed in the wall, causing a weak (but significant) signal short. Covered the terminals with some tape, reinstalled the speaker, everything works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-21 19.27.07.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	227417  
jperezmvp likes this.
post #1875 of 1953 Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Fun/cautionary tale for anyone installing in-walls...

So, now that my basement is nearly finished I've finally gotten to try out the 7604s I installed in the walls (I've had lots of in-wall/in-ceiling Monoprice speakers, but never the 7604s). Fun test to see what kind of punch they have without a sub, because that hasn't arrived yet. Attached is a picture of my 70" Vizio with three of the 7604s around it -- I installed 7 of them.

Anyway, upon firing them up, I rather quickly experienced two alarming things:

1. Crackling/weak sound from the front left speaker (not good)
2. My Denon X-4000 would shut down and go into safety mode whenever there was a spike in sound output (REALLY not good)

A little research reveals that one of the common reasons the Denon does this is when the positive and negative signals are shorting on one of the speaker channels. OK...so I verify the connections on the back of the receiver are fine, rip out all my wall jacks, make sure nothing is touching there, and finally (reluctantly, since they were already painted while on the wall) I remove the left front 7604 from the wall. After removing it from the wall with the speaker just resting on the floor, I rerun my test, and everything works fine.

I look in the wall cavity and realize what's happening -- there was thin aluminum-like flashing/covering on the insulation batt. It was contacting the two large metal terminals on the back of the speaker when it was installed in the wall, causing a weak (but significant) signal short. Covered the terminals with some tape, reinstalled the speaker, everything works great.
That would do it.

How do you like your Denon X4000 so far? I've had mine since may this year and they are driving 5 x 7604's + 2 ceiling speakers (too lazy to check which model) and I really like it. Being able to balance out the speakers with Audyssey is a nice plus too.

Good luck with your build.
post #1876 of 1953 Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I haven't really stretched its legs yet but so far the x4000 has been wonderful. Definitely the nicest receiver I've ever had. Once I get my sub in I'm going to really put it through its paces.

One of the other reasons I got it was for the multiple hdmi out capability -- I'm going to have it connected to another smaller tv in the bar area and also one in my office.
post #1877 of 1953 Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 AM

OK my head is going to pop! I think there is too much info in here. Just when i think i have an idea which way to go, a post puts another spin on it. I have a family room (17' w x 19' d) that i want to go 5.1; modest music, gaming and movies. I have a sub, but would like some in walls for the 5. I think i am sticking with the 6.5 inch speakers. Has anyone written a part # comparison for these?
Why are some favored (7604's) over others?
I thought i was going with a pair for L/R and then a center and two in ceiling for rears, then i read that maybe use 3 identical speakers for L/c/R, but i want to put L & R vertical and center horizontal, so that sent me back to original plan, then read that why not 3 centers? So?.........

If i can place the 3 fronts anywhere i want where should they go (I do have an gas fireplace below however)? L & R as wide as possible or closer to edge of TV? Down low or up high or in the middle? Center channel centered right below tv or above? I think i read everything as low as possible, tv included, or am i wrong?

Thanks for any and all advice.
post #1878 of 1953 Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck16 View Post
OK my head is going to pop! I think there is too much info in here. Just when i think i have an idea which way to go, a post puts another spin on it. I have a family room (17' w x 19' d) that i want to go 5.1; modest music, gaming and movies. I have a sub, but would like some in walls for the 5. I think i am sticking with the 6.5 inch speakers. Has anyone written a part # comparison for these?
I thought i was going with a pair for L/R and then a center and two in ceiling for rears, then i read that maybe use 3 identical speakers for L/c/R, but i want to put L & R vertical and center horizontal, so that sent me back to original plan, then read that why not 3 centers? So?.........

If i can place the 3 fronts anywhere i want where should they go (I do have an gas fireplace below however)? L & R as wide as possible or closer to edge of TV? Down low or up high or in the middle? Center channel centered right below tv or above? I think i read everything as low as possible, tv included, or am i wrong?

Planning is definitely the toughest part of a HT project, also maybe the most fun part (aside from actually using it). I was in your shoes a few months back so here's my take on the speaker situation. I have 5 7604's - 3 in front 2 in the back.

Why the 7604? Well they sound clean and neutral and they reproduce voices nicely, which is what you want in a center channel. Voices are never muddled with these speakers. But you can also play them loud which is fine for front speakers. Being the same speaker across the front and back, you don't have to worry about timber matching across the set of speakers. They don't do the deep bass, but that's why you have subs. If your worried about the volume output, given the right receiver you can crank them up to unbearable levels with little distortion.

Having said that I'm sure other combination of speakers can also do a fine job. I just can't comment from personal experience.

Speaker height should be at ear level in a 5.1 setup. My two fronts are approximately 7 feet apart. Given the dimensions of your room, you may even want to be a little wider.

Hope that helps and good luck with your build.
post #1879 of 1953 Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I have the 7604s for LCR and 7605 in celings for surrounds they are nice speakers.

I personally would not put one horizontal for a center channel. In my case all 3 are vertical in a line across the top of the TV and the bookshelfs beside the TV. Since they are higher than normal I mounted them upside down with the tweaters/mids on the bottom.

If you are certain you want to mount your center channel speaker horizontally, I would go with 3x 6317s for LCR and use 6034/6035s for surrounds (wall vs ceiling). I know a lot of people have mounted the 7604 horizontally and are happy, personally I think the 6317 is better suited to mounting horizontally because it maintains symmetry mounted in that orientation.

As far as location is concerned, I suggest following the Dolby 5.1 speaker placement guide.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...5-1-setup.html You want to start thinking in terms of angle's from your primary listening position. Wherever you are going to sit, the line to your TV is 0 degrees. The LR speakers should be 22-30 degrees off to each side.

As far as height is concerned. Ideally the speakers would be placed at ear height, and TV should be more or less centered or slightly above your eye height when in your watching/listening position. Usually you can't meet both of those ideals, you have to make a trade off. Either your speaker is too high or your TV is too high, just come up with the best trade off for your space...
post #1880 of 1953 Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Are the 6317's just not good? It is a center channel after all, so it it symmetric; is it not voice/timbre matched well to the other/any L & R's? I realize that if i use a 7604 for a center the voice coil will be on one side or the other, but would i really notice? I will use Audessey once they are installed, will that help smooth things out up front?

Also, i was planning on 7605's for ceiling surrounds, but are the 7604's a better choice?

What about 7604's for a 2 channel ceiling set up for my dining room?

Thanks again folks.
post #1881 of 1953 Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Are the 6317's just not good? It is a center channel after all, so it it symmetric; is it not voice/timbre matched well to the other/any L & R's? I realize that if i use a 7604 for a center the voice coil will be on one side or the other, but would i really notice? I will use Audessey once they are installed, will that help smooth things out up front?

Also, i was planning on 7605's for ceiling surrounds, but are the 7604's a better choice?

What about 7604's for a 2 channel ceiling set up for my dining room?

Thanks again folks.
My 3 front 7604 are all vertical - no one including myself has noticed a difference - they are behind an AT screen. Audyssey should definitely help with balancing the sound.

I would probably favor the 7605 for 2 channel listening because I suspect they have better bass and I doubt you will be using a sub in your living room.

As for rear surrounds, I guess that's more of a room configuration question. Try to emulate Dolby's requirements if possible. I have a 7.2 setup and because the right side wall was too far away, instead of using 7604's in wy side walls, I went with 4929's ceiling side speakers that are angled 15 degrees toward the listening area. The result is surprisingly good.
post #1882 of 1953 Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
I use the 6317 center channel speaker in my home theater setup and I think it sounds quite good. With that said I wish it had a tweeter that was aim able and in my situation I felt that it needed a little EQ to sound its best pushing up the 3k a bit. I'm using it with the Monoprice 6035's in all the other positions(7.1) and with that said they may be a touch brighter than the dual woofer 7604 that other people are using and that would tend to make the 6317 a little darker sounding. I've been using these speakers for about a year and a half and I'm very pleased with their performance.
post #1883 of 1953 Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Hey guys, I just purchased a bunch of 8 inch in-ceiling monoprice speakers (PID 4929) and the monoprice 6 zone amp. I hooked everything up on a table just to make sure the amp works, fired up my mp3 player (3.55mm input), and I have to say, I am really disappointing in the sound. I am no audiophile by any means, and I am also a newb to ceiling speakers (so not sure what to expect...) Does it sound bad because the speakers are just resting on the table as opposed to being up in between the joists? Messed around with EQ, marginal difference.

Thanks

Steve
post #1884 of 1953 Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need Help Planning My Basement Speakers

My head has been spinning over the last week about different speakers and speaker location. I need some advice. I am by no means a genius with these things.
First I have a 15' D x 20' W family room being built in my basement. I am planning on doing 5 speakers and a sub. I am thinking of doing 1 center ( 6317 ) under my 60"TV on the 2'x5' fireplace bumpout on the front wall. I was thinking of getting a pair of 6816's to mount in my wall. The speaker wall placement would be to the left and right of the sectional, approximately 18" in front of the sitting area and 5' to the left and to the right of the sitting area. Also getting a pair of 4929 to mount in the ceiling directly behind the sectional 18". I would also get the 12" sub and pair it all with a Yamaha 377 receiver.
Question #1 , is Monoprice quality and sound? I will watch more sports and movies in that room. I was looking at Polk audio or Pyle speakers also?. #2 Speaker placement? I can not put in wall speakers to the left and right of the TV due to windows on each side of the bumpout. Should I get another pair of ceiling speakers for my fronts and upgrade to a 7 channel receiver? #3 Mixing in wall and in ceiling? Dumb or Ok? #4 I am doing blown insulation in my ceiling for sound and foam insulation in my exterior walls? Do I need to build a box for the speakers for protection? If so, what do I make it out of and how much clearance do I need on the back of the speaker to the box?
Thank you all
post #1885 of 1953 Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Reciever Size?

Follow up question, would I need an bigger receiver ie: 477? to handle the sound?
post #1886 of 1953 Old 09-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsteevo View Post
Hey guys, I just purchased a bunch of 8 inch in-ceiling monoprice speakers (PID 4929) and the monoprice 6 zone amp. I hooked everything up on a table just to make sure the amp works, fired up my mp3 player (3.55mm input), and I have to say, I am really disappointing in the sound. I am no audiophile by any means, and I am also a newb to ceiling speakers (so not sure what to expect...) Does it sound bad because the speakers are just resting on the table as opposed to being up in between the joists? Messed around with EQ, marginal difference.

Thanks

Steve
I got some 4929s and they sound really bad when not installed but sounded great after installing in the ceiling. I did upgrade my subwoofer though because they just don't have enough bass.
post #1887 of 1953 Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM

Hi all - fantastic thread as others have mentioned. I am looking for the community thoughts on installing a budget 5.1 system in a 17x10 bonus room. At first I was planning on doing the following (all ceiling mounted);

Question 1:
L/R: 4929 8" w/ 15 degree angled woofer
C: 6317 flanged center channel
Surrounds: 4104 8" speakers

But after going through this thread it seems more appropriate to perhaps install 5 x 7604 dual woofers. Any thoughts between the two choices I've described?

Question 2:
Do I need an in-ceiling installation kit given that I will be installing them through 'popcorn' ceiling

I am open to suggestions but the only requirement being it has to be in-ceiling installed. In-wall install is not possible because the wall on which the screen is mounted on has very little space inbetween the studs.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410987643407.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	267146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.41.20 PM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	267506  

Last edited by kenny dam; 09-17-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #1888 of 1953 Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I have a single 7604 if anyone is interested. Used for about 6 months, broken in and works perfect, just replaced it with a 6816 to match the rest of my system. PM me if interested, thanks.
NCrules23 do you still have this speaker available? I need another one to complete my LCR. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Colin
post #1889 of 1953 Old 09-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozilla View Post
NCrules23 do you still have this speaker available? I need another one to complete my LCR. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Colin
Hey I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it though. But either way yes I still have the speaker. I painted it when I installed it, so you would have to paint the micro flange part of the speaker, and for the grill I can sand blast it at work so it's easy for you to repaint. Send me a PM, thanks.

post #1890 of 1953 Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Looking to order 5 In Wall Monoprice speakers. I'm attaching my layout, which has proven to be a bit challenging for furnishing and speaker layout. Looking for recommendations for my setup, and in particular the rear in-wall speakers. The back right speaker will not be positioned to point towards the listening area, so I have several questions regarding this.

1) How big of a deal is this? Will it even be noticeable that the speaker isn't directly pointed at the listening area?

2) Can the speaker be aimed towards the listening area? If so, enough to make in-wall a viable solution?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HT_Layout.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	278089  
Teecee likes this.

Last edited by kevin82287; 10-08-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page