Monoprice in-wall, in-ceiling speakers - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1891 of 1894 Old 10-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tons of good info in there. Thanks for the contributions. very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1894 Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Went with a 3.1 setup from monoprice as a test. Just wanted to see if you could get decent enough sound for a den system that wasn't my primary movie or music set up. Its the room for casual TV watching and listening to music when we've got company.

Gotta say that I'm tremendously impressed with the sound for only spending $200.

I went with Product ID: 4101, the 8-inch Kevlar 2-Way In-Wall Speakers for the L&R. Since I was just experimenting, I didn't go for the 3-ways (Product ID: 6816) for $30 more. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't a mistake and if they'd sound even more than acceptable had I done that. Guess I can always move these somewhere else later if I want.

Also installed Product ID: 6317, the 5-1/4 Inches Center Channel Micro-Flanged In-Wall Speaker right below the TV, and Product ID: 4928, the 10 Inches In-Wall Subwoofer (Passive).

The instructions on how to wire the sub were less than clear. Because my receiver doesnt have speaker-level outs for the sub, I had to connect it in series to the Left Front. Didn't quite get it right on the first hook-up, but had run a pair of in-wall speaker wire, so it was easy enough to make the additional connections.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it sounds, and the wife is VERY happy with how they look. So I guess thats a win right there. Plus, now I've got an extra $1000 that I was going to put towards speakers in that room to spend elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inwallprogress (Small).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	302290   Click image for larger version

Name:	inwallinstall (Small).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	302298  

Media Room: Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1(LR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2(BR):Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
post #1893 of 1894 Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I plan to use the monoprice speakers for surround sound in my basement. I'm going to use the 8 inch in wall speakers for the front LCR, but my problem is what to do with the rears. I had planned to use in walls for the rears positioned on the left and right wall, but those are both exterior walls that I think I don't want to lose insulation R value. So my options are to place the speakers on the rear wall which I don't think is the best option, or to go in ceiling which I don't have an issue with as long as the sound is adequate.

My question is which way would you go, rear wall or in ceiling? Which in ceiling speakers would best perform in this application? What is the best location to put these speakers, behind and left/right of seating position, or just directly left/right of the seating position?

Thanks.
post #1894 of 1894 Old 10-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is a very helpful thread. I'm looking for four economical in ceiling speakers to atmos enable my Klipsch 5.2 HT setup. I was thinking of either at PID 4104 or 4619. Has anyone used these, or any other monoprice in ceiling speakers in an atmos setup. Thanks.

My Home Theater Build: Geeky Talkies
Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page