Monoprice in-wall, in-ceiling speakers - Page 67 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I love Monoprice and am considering buying all in-wall to outfit a 7.1 + 4 ceilings to prepare for Atmos and DTS:X (when announced). The AVR is going to be a flagship model at least 9.2, having to wait for 2015 announcements.

This would go in a dedicated basement media room that is ~15'x15' and will be finished to accommodate the speaker placement. Three of the walls are foundation+drop-insulation, with the fourth being framed from the finished basement.

The room would be all purpose movies, movies, tv, and games. The in-wall hopefully help with kid friendly since I expect the children to be the heaviest users.

I've read through parts of this thread and have a few questions:

* For the center channel is using two 6 or 8" in-walls ganged is better than the monprice 5" center channel?
* For front left/right, rears, and surrounds is going to 8" appropriate if it can be powered?
* For the ceiling are the down-firing type better than the angled for use as the height channels?
* Is it recommended to buy the backshell's for the ceilings, monoprice suggests they improve sound and bass.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 97
In my last house I did all 8", even the center. I try to avoid horizontal MTM arrangement speakers if at all possible.

I've done them in another house without the backshells (the 8" round) but you risk having insulation blown into them.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use the Micca M-6C 6.5" ceiling speakers for 4 surrounds in a 7.1 system in my living room. I built backerboxes first during my home's construction. As surrounds it is really hard to hear them shine, but when I plugged the LR front channel to them, they seemed to sound great. Crisp highs, some bass (thanks to the backer boxes). Not a bad speaker at all for on the cheap. I had heard some other $300 speakers each at a store, and even though no A/Bing, I don't think I could tell a difference. Plus you can aim the tweeter some too.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek.somaiya View Post
This looks like an active thread so I am going to ask you guys about my installation...
I have installed the monoprice 7605 in ceiling but I am little worried about the insulation in the attic... don't know what kind it is but there is a lot of pink stuff there...

The first speaker was okay as there was no insulation there because of a room upstairs but the other one has insulation, i guess due to the roof lining...
So I took some cardboard and created a custom enclosure for the speaker and installed it in the ceiling...
My biggest concern is that will it be a fire hazard??

I am sorry if the question is stupid but I am no expert in electronics...

BTW the speakers are sounding great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooTheKow View Post
Insulation won't be a problem - they're designed with the possibility of insulation in mind. If you watch their installation videos for their speakers - they even show an example of installing them in a wall that has insulation in it.
Have you guys considered one of the flexible/fabric rear speaker covers to keep the insulation and dust out of the ceiling mounted speakers. Below is a link to one being sold on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/OEM-Systems-IS.../dp/B000PELN0C

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 02-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much insulation so you guys have behind your in walls? Just picked up the 8" 3 way for left/right and 5 1/4" (non microflange) for center. I have an open wall at the moment so I can adjust before I seal it up.

I use regular fiberglass roll for 2 x 4 walls but it seemed too dense. Stripped about 1/3 of it off so uncompressed it just fills the cavity.

This was just a test fit.

Last edited by Hockeypuck25; 02-21-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the posts here. In looking to do either 7604s or 6816s. For those that have recently finished their setups, please don't forget to post back with thoughts and results. I think those posts have been the most beneficial.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have an extra 7604 for sale. Used for about 6 months and decided to upgrade to 6816 to match the rest. Work flawlessly, nice and broken in. Was painted to match the walls. Was able to remove the paint from the speaker and grill. But some of the original white paint from the grill came off too. Asking $40 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150223_182146_1424737397963.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	564145  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM

Ncrules, how do you like the 6816 compared to the 7604 it replaced?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM

I actually think the 7604 sounded a little better. I'm perfectly happy with the 6816 but I think the 7604 was just a little better.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 AM

Well I dove in and purchased 4 pairs of 6816, and 2 pairs of 8" angled ceiling speakers, plus the monoprice rebadged 2 channel amplifier, and 2 of the new 250w 12" subwoofers. This is all for a 11.2 system or some sort of atmos/dots:x setup. I'll keep updated once this starts being installed.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 PM

@ncrules, if you had to do it over again, would you still go 6816s then? What is your main usage, movies or music?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrules23 View Post
I actually think the 7604 sounded a little better. I'm perfectly happy with the 6816 but I think the 7604 was just a little better.
Thanks for the information, I just placed my order.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack66 View Post
@ncrules, if you had to do it over again, would you still go 6816s then? What is your main usage, movies or music?
Yeah I would still do the 6816, perfectly happy with them......main stage is movies and video games, have 5 6816s and 2 polk psw505s, sounds pretty damn good I think
Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 PM

For those interested I am in the process of building up my home theater room which will consist of all monoprice in-walls.

Link to my HT build thread:
Ravenna Media Room
Old 03-12-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelms View Post
For those interested I am in the process of building up my home theater room which will consist of all monoprice in-walls.

Link to my HT build thread:
Ravenna Media Room
Nice! Another 7.2.4 Monoprice Atmos Theater!

-Joe

www.marvindog.com
My Media Room Progress <—— Sorry, this is down until I get the time to fix it, as I've been busy building my new theater.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Have an extra 7604 for sale. Used for about 6 months and decided to upgrade to 6816 to match the rest. Work flawlessly, nice and broken in. Was painted to match the walls. Was able to remove the paint from the speaker and grill. But some of the original white paint from the grill came off too. Asking $40 shipped.
I am looking for an extra 6816. Do you have an extra 6816? I am doing all 3 in front and would rather buy a single one.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Got my 7607s installed in the family room. I still have to paint them to match the wall. They sound great for casual listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr_inwall.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	606545  

-Joe

www.marvindog.com
My Media Room Progress <—— Sorry, this is down until I get the time to fix it, as I've been busy building my new theater.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Hi everyone!

We're going to be doing a kitchen renovation soon, and as part of that I'm going to put some speakers into the ceiling in the kitchen. Nothing too fancy, just stereo, and I just want to be able to listen to the radio while fixing food in the morning and have music play at parties and such. Of course I'd like for them to sound as good as I can make them sound, but don't want to spend too much on them either (these aren't going to be for my critical listening or anything, just background music/npr listening).

So to that end I've been looking at the Monoprice in ceiling speakers as I've generally had pretty good experience with Monoprice stuff in the past. I'm looking particularly their 8" models, though I'm open to others if people recommend them.

The cheaper of the two 8" models is this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style= They recommend pairing those with an enclosure, (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style=) though I'd love to hear from anyone who's maybe tried those enclosures, and whether they make a difference or not

The more expensive of the two 8" models is this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 though I'm not sure how much better they'd really sound compared to the less expensive ones.

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by DrOct; 03-24-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
How did you have the 7604 mounted? Horizontal or vertical? If it was horizontal, how did it sound?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb22 View Post
Quote:
I am looking for an extra 6816. Do you have an extra 6816? I am doing all 3 in front and would rather buy a single one.
Nope just the 7604
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank2223 View Post
Quote:
How did you have the 7604 mounted? Horizontal or vertical? If it was horizontal, how did it sound?
I had it horizontal, it was my center, it think it sounded very good, only changed it cuz I wanted all 3 in front to be 6816
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I had it horizontal, it was my center, it think it sounded very good, only changed it cuz I wanted all 3 in front to be 6816
Okay thanks for the help. I am going to mount it horizontal.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:06 PM

Sorry, I just realized apparently totally screwed up the links in my first post! I just edited and fixed them, but I'll restate more clearly here anyway:

I'm trying to decide between the 4104's (I assume the numbers being thrown around above are the PID's?) (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style=) and the 4929's (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2), though I am open to other suggestions if people have them (will the 8" speakers be too big and ugly? It's a small kitchen and I'm looking to put them in the ceiling).

If I go with the 4104, I'm also curious if anyone has used the enclosure (PID 11942, http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style=) and how they felt about how it effected the sound.

Thanks!

Last edited by DrOct; 03-24-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct View Post
Sorry, I just realized apparently totally screwed up the links in my first post! I just edited and fixed them, but I'll restate more clearly here anyway:

I'm trying to decide between the 4104 (I assume the numbers being thrown around above are the PID's?) (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style=) and the 4929, though I am open to other suggestions if people have them (will the 8" speakers be too big and ugly? It's a small kitchen and I'm looking to put them in the ceiling).

If I go with the 4104, I'm also curious if anyone has used the enclosure (PID 11942, http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...ormat=2&style=) and how they felt about how it effected the sound.

Thanks!
I installed the 4104s in my garage for a similar purpose (background music while working on projects), and I've been very happy with them. I did not buy the enclosures, and I think they sound great (especially for the price).
Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
I installed the 4104s in my garage for a similar purpose (background music while working on projects), and I've been very happy with them. I did not buy the enclosures, and I think they sound great (especially for the price).
Thanks! I may just go with them in the end, especially since they're on sale right now!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm quite interested in how the 4104's work as Atmos object speakers. I have a pair that I never installed and would consider buying another pair to do a 7.2.4 system if I pull the trigger on a Marantz sr7009. I've nearly bought one a dozen times and stop myself for different reasons.... Mostly lack of HDCP 2.2 and DTS:X Anyway, if I can get off cheap on the speakers maybe I'll go for it on the receiver.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I installed a pair of 4104 speakers for my kitchen yesterday. The speakers are driven by the 10761 multi-channel amplifier with Sonos Connect as music source. I was not impressed by the sound quality produced. The sound was flat, muddy with poor imaging. Maybe I have been spoiled by Ascend Sierra 2 & SVS sub I have in the main listening area. I will try reversing the speaker cable phase later today to see whether that improves anything.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am in the process of finishing my basement, the drywall will be finished today. Looking to begin painting this weekend. Should I install my monoprice in wall/ceiling speakers before or after the painting?

I'm thinking I should wait to avoid painting around them. Any thoughts here?

Also, any advice on painting the grilles without a sprayer?

Thanks for any help,

irishbbq
Old Today, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbbq View Post
I am in the process of finishing my basement, the drywall will be finished today. Looking to begin painting this weekend. Should I install my monoprice in wall/ceiling speakers before or after the painting?

I'm thinking I should wait to avoid painting around them. Any thoughts here?

Also, any advice on painting the grilles without a sprayer?

Thanks for any help,

irishbbq
Wait until it is painted. Use spray paint and you should be fine.
Old Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey there. I am in the process of building a family room. Looking to install some ceiling speakers (not sure brand/model, maybe non monoprice) . Since this is a new construction, would you guys build a box to house the ceiling speakers?

I have the tools and scraps to build.

TT

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers