Monoprice in-wall, in-ceiling speakers - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2011 of 2022 Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
In for information.

My bro-in-law just bought a new house with an unfinished basement, and he wants a home theater setup to rival my own. He likes the idea of in-wall's so I have narrowed it down to Monoprice or the Dayton in-wall's and parts express.

Does anyone have any experience with both brands? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2022 Old 05-08-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Size of backerbox

I am finishing my basement and setting up a 5.1 home theater. I am sing the new Sony Core bookshelf and center speakers for my fronts. I just purchased a pair of monoprice in-wall speakers, MSQ-650-1Y (6.5" 2-way) new in box from a friend to use as surrounds.

Since my walls are open at this time I am thinking of putting backer boxes in for my speakers. Dose putting these in help the sound? And how big should they be? Should they be air tight or just getting any type of box back there okay? Also should the box I make be empty or filled with something like insulation?

Last edited by rolfeskj; 05-08-2015 at 07:37 PM.
post #2013 of 2022 Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlutsky View Post
I'd also like to know this. And how they compare to the 6816 as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Rodzinski View Post
7607 vs 7604

Everyone seems to rave about the 7604 (dual woofer, micro flange) speaker and little love seems to be given to the 7607 (3 way, kevlar)

what the reason?

I am tempted to pick up 4 - 7607 speakers for front left and right heights (using the 8 inch 3 ways for regular left and rights) and surrounds, but everyone keeps talking about the 7604's

what gives?
-
I never saw a response to this and am curious as well. Is there something about the 7604s that makes them a fan favorite? The 6816s are bigger and are three-way; does that by default make them better?
post #2014 of 2022 Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashman View Post
I never saw a response to this and am curious as well. Is there something about the 7604s that makes them a fan favorite? The 6816s are bigger and are three-way; does that by default make them better?
I'm interested as well.
post #2015 of 2022 Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Well...put my money where my interest lies. In for two pair of 6816, 8" 3 way in-walls. We'll see how they do. Going with 6816s for LCR and will have one left over if anyone else is interested. They were on sale over the weekend for $75...may still be. JUNE10 is a 10% off coupon code also.
post #2016 of 2022 Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been searching all over on the difference between the 4104 and 4929 8" ceiling speakers. Finally just did a live chat with Monoprice and got a definitive answer-- thought I'd share here for anyone else looking down the road. Long story short, the speakers should be functionally identical except the 4929 speakers are aimed 15 degrees off-axis. The rep said the application is for surround speakers or for vaulted ceilings. Outside of these applications, there's no reason not to go for the 4104 since they're substantially cheaper.
post #2017 of 2022 Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Well, a little update. I've had them installed about 4 or 5 days and have listened to a few movies over Directv. Honestly, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I figure that 3 way 8" speakers should be able to handle some bass or be set to "large" on my Denon 1909. Audyssey set them to small, crossover at 60hz and the sub (Klipsch RW8...also being replaced at some point) to LFE+Main. It sounds ok but a bit muddied. In listening to some of Close Encounters, and I cringe when I say this because I've made fun of others when they do but...in listening to some of the more dramatic moments with music, there's no grandness...no soundstage...it just...sounds a little flat and meh. Bass is weak and if I turn off my sub, poor...which is weird considering it's only an 8" sub. I've messed with the settings a bit and setting the speakers to large, keeping the crossover and LFE+Main, it sounds ok. Enough that I'm going to build backer boxes this weekend. These are in an exterior wall with a good amount of insulation/2x6 construction and some of the heaviest/thickest drywall I've ever seen. So at least my Arizona home is built well!

For reference, these are replacing RC-Minis (L and R, plus the Energy RC Center), which were great, but I wanted a bit broader/larger/louder/better sound. They'll become my surrounds until I can go in-wall (maybe).
post #2018 of 2022 Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I tried the 8" inceiling speakers and they are poor at best. Audyssey wants to cross them at 140hz so I have a gap in the frequency response. They tweeter is what I noticed to be extremely poor sounding (harsh and lacking clarity). I tried them with and without a backerbox. I actually prefered the sound without the backerbox. I'd switch them out with something better but I'm hoping to build a new media room, so I'm focusing on that for now.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
post #2019 of 2022 Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Update #2 . Perhaps it was the source material (Directv) or the age of the movie (1977), but I put in a Blu Ray version of Skyfall and I have to say it sounded very good. I'm still planning to put the backer boxes in (or at least try them), but I'm going to keep them for now. Perhaps some more BluRay testing...

But as an update...Skyfall sounded very good in 3.1 (LCR/SW).
post #2020 of 2022 Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 PM

Update 3...I broke my thumb before getting the backer boxes made, so that's on hold. However, I'm very happy with the sound and will not have to return them. Looking forward to getting healed and seeing what the backer boxes do. For reference, the Monoprice staff could not tell me what volume to build to, but they recommended 2 cu. ft., based on the boxes they have for their ceiling speakers.
post #2021 of 2022 Old Today, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I bought the Andrew Jones bookshelf, center, sub 5.1 combo about a year and a half ago. They have served me well and I wish I could keep them. However, they are large eyesores and have no business being mounted in my new place. I will probably use two for my office and two and the center for my bedroom, keeping the sub for the living room. In any case, I'm thinking about doing the in-ceiling setup. Are any of these monoprice ceiling speakers good enough to rival my current set up?
post #2022 of 2022 Old Today, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack66 View Post
Well, a little update. I've had them installed about 4 or 5 days and have listened to a few movies over Directv. Honestly, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I figure that 3 way 8" speakers should be able to handle some bass or be set to "large" on my Denon 1909. Audyssey set them to small, crossover at 60hz and the sub (Klipsch RW8...also being replaced at some point) to LFE+Main. It sounds ok but a bit muddied. In listening to some of Close Encounters, and I cringe when I say this because I've made fun of others when they do but...in listening to some of the more dramatic moments with music, there's no grandness...no soundstage...it just...sounds a little flat and meh. Bass is weak and if I turn off my sub, poor...which is weird considering it's only an 8" sub. I've messed with the settings a bit and setting the speakers to large, keeping the crossover and LFE+Main, it sounds ok. Enough that I'm going to build backer boxes this weekend. These are in an exterior wall with a good amount of insulation/2x6 construction and some of the heaviest/thickest drywall I've ever seen. So at least my Arizona home is built well!

For reference, these are replacing RC-Minis (L and R, plus the Energy RC Center), which were great, but I wanted a bit broader/larger/louder/better sound. They'll become my surrounds until I can go in-wall (maybe).
If you are using a sub, you should always have all speakers set to SMALL, and with a crossover somewhere around 80hz. There is no point in having speakers trying to produce those frequencies when a competent sub will be able to do it much more effortlessly. Frequencies under 80hz are difficult/impossible for humans to localize, so having them come from a powered sub works well, and it relieves the stress on the main speakers and the receiver's amp. Also, don't run LFE+Main.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Basement Build Thread
Paradigm Studio 60v3, Studio 570v3, Studio 20v5, 2x Klipsch Sub12, Onkyo TX-NR808, PS3, Chromecast+Plex, Acer H6510BD, Elite 125" 2.35 Screen
LR: Samsung PN60E8000 Plasma, Polk, Monoprice 4104, Yamaha RX-V773, PS3, Chromecast, Dayton Sub1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
In Wall Speakers , In Ceiling Speakers