Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone:

Let me state upfront that I don't own the Definitive Tech Mythos ST speakers that are getting so much press lately and many glowing and positive reviews.

I started this thread so that owners can express their views, thoughts and opinions about the Mythos ST's, for example, why did they purchase them and how do they feel now after their purchase, etc.

I'm still on the fence between the Mythos ST's and a more traditional speaker, but I'd love to hear from the guys who either own or know alot about these speakers. There's so much that the rest of us can learn from you guys!

So all you Def Tech Mythos ST owners and affectinados let us hear from you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 AM

I'm with you on that, let's hear some reviews!
post #3 of 27 Old 02-16-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've read all the reviews in all the publications and they all love the Mythos ST (as well as the Mythos Ten Center). I'm wanting to hear from those guys who've purchased the ST's and how they like them now and what they don't like about them. Let's hear from you. Are these Mythos ST's as good as the publications all say?
post #4 of 27 Old 02-16-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've auditioned the Mythos ST and Ten Center speaker. I thought the Mythos ST was very good, I thought the Mythos Ten was good but not great. Competent. I almost wish that Def Tech had made an ST Center with basically the same layout of drivers as the Mythos Ten, but with the powered Sub part like the ST. Sort of like an ST on its side but the drivers arranged like the Ten.

Also, in every review I've read, except one, they use the Mythos Gem XL. It seems to me with all the raves about the Mythos ST that they'd do something more substantial than the Gem XL. I'm not bashing that speaker, I'm sure its good, but one of the better reviews I've read had an additional pair of Mythos ST's as the rear surrounds.

Just my wish list
post #5 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no opinions? good, bad, ugly on the Mythos STs?
post #6 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

I've auditioned the Mythos ST and Ten Center speaker. I thought the Mythos ST was very good, I thought the Mythos Ten was good but not great. Competent. I almost wish that Def Tech had made an ST Center with basically the same layout of drivers as the Mythos Ten, but with the powered Sub part like the ST. Sort of like an ST on its side but the drivers arranged like the Ten.

Also, in every review I've read, except one, they use the Mythos Gem XL. It seems to me with all the raves about the Mythos ST that they'd do something more substantial than the Gem XL. I'm not bashing that speaker, I'm sure its good, but one of the better reviews I've read had an additional pair of Mythos ST's as the rear surrounds.

Just my wish list

I have the full ST's mostly review in the resent publications the ST's M10's, and the Gems XL.
I pretty much love this set up, for various reasons, one being their full sound coming out their diminutive size. (I live in a NYC apt.)which is important to me.
Also I am in the same camp as you wanting a better laid out Center speaker, but coming out of and mythos 8 in this same system, the 10 happens to be the best they have in the Mythos line ,no surprise there.
I am hope this gets to the folks at Definitive soon, or we can start to writing email as I did before the 10 came out, about a year ago.

The Gem XL does not get enough prime time in the reviews I've read, but I have to say that it should. It's a capable little speakers that in it's own right will make a nice 5.0 rig with a nice sub it can make be great in modest home theater.
But I am thinking once the STS the smaller St's come out they'll be better match in my system, great for MC Hi Rez music, and just move the Gems XL to the foyer. This is just an idea, that I've been recently contemplating...
Love the Gems too!

My system has been evolving for the last eight months or so, but I don't think I'll be changing the muscles the amp for some time to come...I am using Cary CAD500MB mono amps, and for the center, surround I use Cary Cinema 5. Very little color is added to the ST's with these amps and the rest of the speakers.

My pre/pro at the moment has been in at a service center, and once I have it in my hands it will be replace. I was not happy with the sound of that unit.
It made the ST's sound a bit metallic, which was not there with the previous SSP. Strange to me because I didn't think a speaker at this caliber would be so revealing to such extent.

I am glad there is this thread dedicated to the Mythos ST, so I'll be sticking my head in here from time to time, and would love to hear all the ST's owner whether it be good or bad as some one else mention.

Thanks to the OP

DJoel
post #7 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Djoel:

Glad to hear your thoughts on your Mythos ST system. I'm surprised that there aren't a lot more Mythos ST owners because of the numerous very positive reviews online and in print.

I was particularly impressed with the review from www.avrev.com because the reviewer used a pair of Mythos ST's as mains but also used a pair for surrounds along with the Mythos Ten center speaker. I like the idea of this setup. But my use for speakers would be about 85% home theater, so I don't know whether I should consider the Gem XL's as surrounds or the more tempting idea of having another pair of Mythos ST's.

For the past couple of weeks, I've narrowed down my choice of speakers to the Mythos ST's or the Paradigm Studio Reference. Pricewise, dealers are much more readily to give good to great discounts on the Definitive Tech Mythos and not so much for the Paradigm speakers.

I enjoyed reading the reviewer on www.avrev.com because the reviewed the Paradigm Studio Reference system I was set on (100 v4's, cc690, adp590's) but also reviewed the Mythos ST's system as well in the same configuration I was thinking of (Mythos ST's as mains and surrounds and Mythos Ten center).

I've auditioned both systems and after evaluating them over and over again, I have to say that the Paradigm cc690 center speaker is slightly better than the Mythos Ten, but both systems have a good seamless integration. The Def Tech dealers are more open to offering great discounts (I guess because they have more flexibility) which makes it very competitive against Paradigm dealers who don't have the same amount of flexibility.

So, right now at this moment, I'm at a roadblock that I haven't been able to come to a clear decision. Just when I think I've made up my mind, then I find someway to make a logical argument for the other speaker system.

Jimmy
post #8 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Djoel:

Glad to hear your thoughts on your Mythos ST system. I'm surprised that there aren't a lot more Mythos ST owners because of the numerous very positive reviews online and in print.

I was particularly impressed with the review from www.avrev.com because the reviewer used a pair of Mythos ST's as mains but also used a pair for surrounds along with the Mythos Ten center speaker. I like the idea of this setup. But my use for speakers would be about 85% home theater, so I don't know whether I should consider the Gem XL's as surrounds or the more tempting idea of having another pair of Mythos ST's.

For the past couple of weeks, I've narrowed down my choice of speakers to the Mythos ST's or the Paradigm Studio Reference. Pricewise, dealers are much more readily to give good to great discounts on the Definitive Tech Mythos and not so much for the Paradigm speakers.

I enjoyed reading the reviewer on www.avrev.com because the reviewed the Paradigm Studio Reference system I was set on (100 v4's, cc690, adp590's) but also reviewed the Mythos ST's system as well in the same configuration I was thinking of (Mythos ST's as mains and surrounds and Mythos Ten center).

I've auditioned both systems and after evaluating them over and over again, I have to say that the Paradigm cc690 center speaker is slightly better than the Mythos Ten, but both systems have a good seamless integration. The Def Tech dealers are more open to offering great discounts (I guess because they have more flexibility) which makes it very competitive against Paradigm dealers who don't have the same amount of flexibility.

So, right now at this moment, I'm at a roadblock that I haven't been able to come to a clear decision. Just when I think I've made up my mind, then I find someway to make a logical argument for the other speaker system.

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy most of the Mythos ST's owners are in the Def Tech thread

Did you compare these two speaker directly A&B ?
Is there any chance you can get either speaker in your place, home.
That would be your best bet, to realy get some kind of synergy with your own components.
What are you going to be using an AVR or SSP?

Like I mention before, and other alike believe the Mythos 10 is the weak link when working with the ST's.
I'm really hoping DT is reconsidering this puny center channel approach ,and use enclosure the width of the ST's!

You are aware that there is a smaller Mythos St call the STS that can be use as a surround in stead of the gems xl ,if you do end up with the Mythos
system. http://www.avrev.com/news/0108/22.de...vests241.shtml
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12797400 Look at post 4817

I know it's never easy making these choices, there's allot of money involved. Ultimately you, and your love ones have to living with these speakers , getting a discount on a system doesn't make living with them any easier in the long run.

Good luck
DJoel
post #9 of 27 Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM

I have had the Mythos ST for about 4 weeks now and
I am very impressed with them. They are very sleek looking
and pass the WF factor! I drive them with a Vac PA 35/35
tube amp and AR LS15 pre amp. I use the Pioneer PD-D6-J
Super Audio CD Player. They are truly a full range speaker
which is amazing considering there size and cost. I have owned
Dunlavey SC-III and Innersound Isis which are great speakers
but are not full range. I find the Mythos have a great sound stage
deliver beautiful inner detail, and oh yea they go down to 20 Hz.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM

I am looking at assembling a system with Mythos ST for front and Gem XL for surrongs. I was told that the Gem XLs work with the Gem stands as well but they are easier to tip over than the regular Gems.

If you use the Gem XL what do you use for stands?

Would the regular Gem be a good match with the ST? As i have small children i don't usually push the volume too much so may be just getting a STS would be ok.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had the ST's for a year now and previously used the Mythos Ten center. I stupidly decided to replace the Ten with the new cs8080hd center and while it's a fine speaker I feel it's a terrible match for the ST's. Can't put my finger on it and level matching doesn't really help either. It's driving me nuts, just thought I'd mention this.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM

amblinfan, thanks for your feedback. For your problem have you tried to use the Chesky DVD?

What do you have for surrounds?
post #13 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM

sorry for the double post but i initially posted in the Def Tech owners and was told that the other thread deals mainly with Bi polar and i should post here. So here i am.

I am leaning together a system with:
FRONT: Mythos ST SuperTower
CENTER: Mythos Ten Center Channel speaker
SURROUND: Mythos Gem XL Surround speakers

I'd love to get input from owners of similar configuration about:

1) I believe it is a great value for $5,000. But a quick check, is there better configuration with Def Tech or other brand for this price?

2) Of course my wife would like to hide the Center in a furniture. (small compromise :-) What do you guys use to support the center? Any picture? reference?

3) I was told that the Gem XLs work with the Gem stands as well but they are easier to tip over than the regular Gems. If you use the Gem XL what do you use for stands?

4) What would be the main criteria besides price to select the STS over the ST? Size? The size of my room is 15 x 13 with a ceiling height of 7.9 H.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM

Liked: 12
Actually I'm still using Paradigm ADP 390's version 6. Like their sound. I am planning to eventually get the 8080 surrounds as they are proper for the ST's and sound great. First up is new sub, Supercube Reference. I've tried countess things with the center but it just boils down to this : it's not a good match to the ST's as they are dynamically different speakers.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 PM

I wanted to pair the STs with the CS8040HD center and asked Def Tech and they said: "
the CS8040HD has the same tonal balance or character of sound as the Mythos ST towers, it would be a good choice for the center speaker in this system. Given a choice, however, I'd recommend going with the CS8060HD center speaker. "

So not sure if the 8080 is much different than the 8060 but i thought i'd pass the info to you.
post #16 of 27 Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Liked: 14
I am selling a pair of Definitive Mythos 10 speakers in great shape .I have been using them for sides with the Mythos ST and they sound awesome as Side or Rear speakers.Please PM me for details.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #17 of 27 Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post

I've had the ST's for a year now and previously used the Mythos Ten center. I stupidly decided to replace the Ten with the new cs8080hd center and while it's a fine speaker I feel it's a terrible match for the ST's. Can't put my finger on it and level matching doesn't really help either. It's driving me nuts, just thought I'd mention this.

I have almost the exact same situation. I wanted to pair the absolute best possible CC with my STS L+R. The 10 seemed a little weak and I've always felt that the most important speaker was the CC for my home theater application. So I compared the 10 with CS8080HD and chose the latter for its fuller sound. I too was told by Def Tech that it is a great match as the "tonal balance or character" of the speaker was similar to the STS even if the drivers weren't a perfect match.

Honestly I'm not crazy about it. I have to turn the rear bass knob down to minimum to keep voices from getting to boomy-honky-almost echoey. I'm able to equalize to make it decent but overall not real happy with the CS-8080HD match and STS. Maybe I should have purchased another STS as a CC and turned it sideways behind my acoustic fabric panel base unit.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

I am selling a pair of Definitive Mythos 10 speakers in great shape .I have been using them for sides with the Mythos ST and they sound awesome as Side or Rear speakers.Please PM me for details.

The Mythos 10 speakers are sold .Thanks to all that inquired about these great speakers,

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #19 of 27 Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post

I have almost the exact same situation. I wanted to pair the absolute best possible CC with my STS L+R. The 10 seemed a little weak and I've always felt that the most important speaker was the CC for my home theater application. So I compared the 10 with CS8080HD and chose the latter for its fuller sound. I too was told by Def Tech that it is a great match as the "tonal balance or character" of the speaker was similar to the STS even if the drivers weren't a perfect match.

Honestly I'm not crazy about it. I have to turn the rear bass knob down to minimum to keep voices from getting to boomy-honky-almost echoey. I'm able to equalize to make it decent but overall not real happy with the CS-8080HD match and STS. Maybe I should have purchased another STS as a CC and turned it sideways behind my acoustic fabric panel base unit.

I've had really good luck with my CS-8060HD. I had both a Mythos 9, then a Mythos 10 before the 8060HD, and while they were good speakers I personally felt they never sounded quite right with my STS's. I noticed with the Mythos that they were really dependent on distance from the wall for bass reinforcement and my system/room didn't allow for that. With the 8060 I was able to get much better blending between the subs/center and the center/mains, but it did require playing with the bass gain on the 8060 quite a bit as well as careful crossover selection. All of my Def Tech's with powered sections have required a bit of fooling around/tweaking/adjusting to sound their best to my ears.

For me, in my room, I have the gain on the 8060 set at about 12:30, which when fed a LFE test tone (used RCA input for testing purposes, I was curious about the level) and tested showed 71db at the listening position. This was/is less than the speaker overall (when fed test tones from AVR via speaker level input) the speaker is set to 75 db. I set the center to small and use a 60 Hz crossover on the center to my subs. I also keep the front edge of the speaker about an inch past the front edge of the equipment rack/stand, have the center on Auralex mopad's and their is nothing above the speaker until you get to the ceiling (ie: it is not in a cabinet or under a shelf). The speaker is also a good 20 inches from the back of the speaker to the front wall, and I have broad band absorbers behind all of my front three speakers and use Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Also, my seating position is about 12 feet from the center, which helps the MTM and bass sections blend better as I am not too close to the speaker.

Keep playing with it, the CS series are pretty darn good speakers. Nothing sucks more than when your center is sounding off/bad. Fortunately the Def Tech's respond well to adjustments/placement/EQ. Good luck.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #20 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

I Have had the Mythos ST , 10 center and surrounds for a few years now and still love them like the day I got them. They are dynamic and full of life. They build a sound field perfectly blended for a fully involving experience.
I don't have these issues I read about people not liking the Mythos 9 or 10 center with STS or ST fronts. I have mine hung on the wall and I believe this is where it's suppose to be for best sound quality. Before I had it mounted , I had it on top of my last Tv which was a table top. Even then I had no issues at all and the center never called attention to itself.
Now keep in mind I'm a calibration nut and I'm constantly tweaking my system. I use all high quality wire of the correct gauge for the distance I'm going and use a very well matched receiver to power them in the Pioneer Elite SC-07. With all that I also use good clean power starting with a 20 amp dedicated with a PS Audio hospital grade outlet , Audioquest power cord to my APC J15 power center(which I wanna swap out for a S20).
Speaker wire is Audioquest CL3 rated Flx 14-2 which I find to be the best affordable high quality wire on the market.
Sources for Movies I use a Apple TV , Xbox360 for Netflix streaming , HD Cable from Verizon FIOS , Toshiba HD DVD Player in the HD-A2( yeah I know why do I still have that LOL) , Cambridge Audio 650BD Blu ray player. All are wired with Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables which have a Silver coated copper conductors. They are very affordable high quality HDMI cables and I'm ready for 1.4 if I so Choose to upgrade down the road.
Tv wise I have what I feel is the very best Tv ever to hit the market in the Pioneer Elite 60 inch Kuro Pro150FD. This monitor is amazing and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. It's the very best display I have ever seen , owned to date. I really wish they never stopped making Plasma's and I'm not all that excited over the new Sharp/Pioneer Elite LED. I like the 70 inch size but to much more after that.
For Music I change it up sometimes as I have a Rotel RX1050 Integrated Stereo Receiver that I run a single Cardos 1m analog IC from my Cambridge 650BD Blu ray player and use it as a cd player. I only use this when I want the highest quality sounding listening from Direct CD. I feel it does a slightly better job in this setup with the Mythos ST for music , no Line level to the ST just Speaker wire and I have the ST's tuned perfectly for bass in my room so they sound like a full range speaker with no Sub bass boom or overkill. I do use the Apple TV for music Stored on it (160g) in Apple Lossless and WAV file formats) it sounds pretty damn good but if you play the cd of the same song , compare it in full digital over HDMI from it and the Cambridge , you can hear a difference in favor of the Cambridge sounding clearer and more detailed. Nothing is missing but notes "POP" more in this configuration which Inspired me to use the Rotel and Analog configuration.
Overall I find the Mythos ST to be one of the very best dual purpose speakers I have ever heard under 4k. Nothing I have Installed or used/ owned compares( I an an Audio Video In Home Installer/ Programmer / Calibrator). Yes there are better theater only and music only speakers , I have owned Dynaudio and I find them to have a slight advantage on the musical side but lack on the theater experience.
Christmas cards make sound , All speakers make sound and should play anything they are asked to do. But if you pay attention , some do a better job at certain things then others. This also mind you is a very personal and Professional opinion and should be noted as such. I'm very picky how my system sounds and built this system to my personal needs and budget.

Enjoy the pic's I'll post more with some changes over the years.

post #21 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Here is some wire if anyone cares about that , I do as I feel it makes notable improvements in how the system performs. I'm not a nutcase with wire like use to be as I have learned so much over the decades being in the business. So here is a few shots of stuff I have been messing around with including a custom built Mythos ST cable I made with DH Labs Sonic Silver 14-2 and Audioquest ITA 1.1 for the sub line level in one jacket. It was my first built as I hated the wire mess that comes with these speakers . 3 cables to one speaker is a bit much including the power cable.
Also my system before I upgraded the TV and added the Rotel. Take a look.

So as you see in this pic , I custom built these to clean up the wire mess. The Ends of the speaker wire are Vienna Acoustic's right angled Silver coated Banana plugs which I love and would like to get more of. They are what come with the On wall offerings from Vienna. Which reminds me I gotta give them a call and order more.

These where my last experiment with a new Audioquest HD6+ Silver rg6 IC hand built by me with Analysis Plus Theater 2 speaker wire before I built my latest Flx 14-2 HD6+ bundle. I did have Spades on the Theater 2's but replaced them with Audioquest Silver Bananas as the ST's are not Spade friendly. I don't like how they are vertical and recessed .
post #22 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Here are the surround speakers , these where taken a few years ago when I had the old RPTV.

post #23 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I've had really good luck with my CS-8060HD. I had both a Mythos 9, then a Mythos 10 before the 8060HD, and while they were good speakers I personally felt they never sounded quite right with my STS's. I noticed with the Mythos that they were really dependent on distance from the wall for bass reinforcement and my system/room didn't allow for that. With the 8060 I was able to get much better blending between the subs/center and the center/mains, but it did require playing with the bass gain on the 8060 quite a bit as well as careful crossover selection. All of my Def Tech's with powered sections have required a bit of fooling around/tweaking/adjusting to sound their best to my ears.

For me, in my room, I have the gain on the 8060 set at about 12:30, which when fed a LFE test tone (used RCA input for testing purposes, I was curious about the level) and tested showed 71db at the listening position. This was/is less than the speaker overall (when fed test tones from AVR via speaker level input) the speaker is set to 75 db. I set the center to small and use a 60 Hz crossover on the center to my subs. I also keep the front edge of the speaker about an inch past the front edge of the equipment rack/stand, have the center on Auralex mopad's and their is nothing above the speaker until you get to the ceiling (ie: it is not in a cabinet or under a shelf). The speaker is also a good 20 inches from the back of the speaker to the front wall, and I have broad band absorbers behind all of my front three speakers and use Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Also, my seating position is about 12 feet from the center, which helps the MTM and bass sections blend better as I am not too close to the speaker.

Keep playing with it, the CS series are pretty darn good speakers. Nothing sucks more than when your center is sounding off/bad. Fortunately the Def Tech's respond well to adjustments/placement/EQ. Good luck.

I have Installed the CS8080HD center channel and think it's fantastic. It sat on top of a nice cabinet with 8080 mains and 8080 surrounds. The system sounded really good and balanced.
Our Def Tech Rep said that the 8080 center can work with the Mythos series and even sound seamless. I have yet to try this as I'm happy with the 10 on the wall. Having more bass in the center would be nice in a MAN kind of way but I when you have your system calibrated properly , the Mythos ST provide plenty of bass to cover the 10's lack their of.
post #24 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 View Post

I have Installed the CS8080HD center channel and think it's fantastic. It sat on top of a nice cabinet with 8080 mains and 8080 surrounds. The system sounded really good and balanced.
Our Def Tech Rep said that the 8080 center can work with the Mythos series and even sound seamless. I have yet to try this as I'm happy with the 10 on the wall. Having more bass in the center would be nice in a MAN kind of way but I when you have your system calibrated properly , the Mythos ST provide plenty of bass to cover the 10's lack their of.

Hey Mantis,
What'a your current feeling about Gem XLs vs. using one of the newer BP surrounds as rears in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? I know you seemed to prefer the Mythos Ten personally a few years ago, but I was curious if your thinking has changed. For the sake of argument, assume at least one standalone sub, so having a powered rear or surround isn't an issue.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #25 of 27 Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Hey Mantis,
What'a your current feeling about Gem XLs vs. using one of the newer BP surrounds as rears in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? I know you seemed to prefer the Mythos Ten personally a few years ago, but I was curious if your thinking has changed. For the sake of argument, assume at least one standalone sub, so having a powered rear or surround isn't an issue.

I'm not sure but they probably would blend an hell of a lot better then older BP models. The Gem XL's are very nice and blend very nicely but as you already know I'm not a fan.
Do you need a Bipolar surround speaker?
post #26 of 27 Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Several weeks ago I started hearing what can be best described as a faint static/crackle sound coming from the woofer in one of my Mythos ST Towers. The crackle is always present but more noticeable when a source is paused. Speaker was purchased new about 3.5 years ago. The sub did seem to still output decent bass. I did my best to isolate the issue to the subwoofer by swapping speaker cable, switching places with other ST, surge protector, input on receiver, etc.... I was using speaker wire only to the ST utilizing the "onboard circuitry" to output the bass. After talking to Def tech they had me take it to my local auth. dealer where I purchased it for diagnosis. The dealer stated it was a defective woofer and replaced it. When I got it home the other day and hooked it up with speaker wire only the sub did not work at all. The red led even turned off on the back of speaker. Since then I tried hooking it up utilizing the LFE input which works although the static/crackle is still present. It sounded like they only tested it using LFE at dealer. The service guy didn't even seem to understand how the sub could work with only speaker wire/no line level input when I went to pick it up. Does anybody have any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks!
post #27 of 27 Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM

I owned a pair of Mythos ST as my front and a pair of STS as surround and I'm completely satisfied with this setup. I must say that the ST is much better suited for music than the STS. The STS itself is good but I feel that the ST is great. My brother-in-law owned a pair of Vienna Acoustic and when he heard the ST, he concluded that it is much better than his. The imaging is precise, wide sound stage, transparent and very firm bass. I drive it my my Cayin A88T tube amp and Cayin CDT17A CDP.
So it anyone out there is considering between ST and STS, just go for the ST if your budget permits. It is of a different class, even though the speakers are only slightly bigger.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page