AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

$6000 for a media server?
Someone's enjoying a nice profit margin there.
If you're computer literate at all or can just read instructions seems like 1/3 of that would be easy at the retail level.
I would think the drives would have to be outside of the listening room.

$6000? That's ridiculous. I could build hifi something for $2000 easily, and it'd be a killer gaming rig as well. $5000 is ridiculous!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want to blow the bank

Kaleidescape

or

Escient

For music only nothing really beats Sonos and a homebuilt NAS box.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Xbox Media Center... Streams any kind of format, for cheap.

My buddy just got a new Sqeezebox, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/3817&cl=us,en?WT.ac=pl|4156||hp
Super cool interface... for cheap... just link it up through your wireles router, streams right off your server. flawless...

Better yet.... you can walk all over your house and search for tunes with album art right on the screen of the remote, with volume control..
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The new Squeezebox looks great, the new remote puts it in the Sonos arena. The biggest difference now is the need for server-side software on with the Squeezebox....which is not a big deal for some/most.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The new Squeezebox looks great, the new remote puts it in the Sonos arena. The biggest difference now is the need for server-side software on with the Squeezebox....which is not a big deal for some/most.

I agree and they need to come out with amplified receivers to really compete with the ease of whole house audio that Sonos provides. The amplified units really work well. I have 3 of them hidden in closets powering in-ceiling speakers.

So back to the HT3s
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I have moved to the server route myself, and thus have some experience with it. I use Modwright's tube modified Transporter, this piece really needs to be heard to be believed. Tim, Dan is based out of Washington, I know I could set up an audition at his place if you are interested?

http://www.modwright.com/products/in...?product_id=28

Guys, having listened to Sonos, Squeezebox, and un-modified Transporter there is nothing that compares to this product.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Guys, having listened to Sonos, Squeezebox, and un-modified Transporter there is nothing that compares to this product.

Except the price of course. For that $3500 you could set up a 10 zone Sonos system. I think the Sonos system sounds great streaming FLACs from my NAS. It got a very favorable review in Stereophile. I could be wrong but most people looking to set up multi-room audio would be more then happy with the sound quality of Sonos.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

Except the price of course. For that $3500 you could set up a 10 zone Sonos system. I think the Sonos system sounds great streaming FLACs from my NAS. It got a very favorable review in Stereophile. I could be wrong but most people looking to set up multi-room audio would be more then happy with the sound quality of Sonos.

Multi-room is in my plans, but for now, I use the un-amplified unit digitally connected to my pre/pro with FLAC files. Sounds great.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
funkmonkey,
PM me as I have a few ideas on media servers and streaming devices.
I am personally using a modded Xbox and a Roku to stream audio and video.
Curtis can vouch for my computer geekness

Later
RayJr
Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

funkmonkey,
PM me as I have a few ideas on media servers and streaming devices.
I am personally using a modded Xbox and a Roku to stream audio and video.
Curtis can vouch for my computer geekness

Later
RayJr

+1....

I can't stress enough, how inexpensive and amazing an XBMC modded xbox is... I haven't found the SQ lacking using it to Stream audio
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes....Ray has a high geekness quotient.

Streaming lossless files should never be lacking in SQ.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:03 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

I am using a Squeezebox 3 digital out to a Bel Canto DAC3/pre and am thrilled. There have some discussions why this sounds better than a CDP output and it comes down to jitter IIRC. Regardless, the sound is open and airy and unrestricted using the SB. I have a CDP just in case now but rarely use it. Took me 4 months to rip all my CD's to FLAC but with cheap storage I have also backed it up. Bought another router and a refurbed laptop so now I can surf while Slimcenter is open and running my tunes. You will rediscover your entire music collection when it is so easy to access.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Hi FunkMonkey,

This was such an exciting journey for you and in a way I hate to see it end......the best for you and your new speakers and keep us informed about your experiences during your break-in period!!

To all the recent posts about squeezebox,ripping CD"s to FLAC,etc. etc. .......I know I can do the search thing but I'm looking at all the "Masters" here in one place...........Where can I find out more info ( links will be nice) for a beginner looking to go in this direction. Consider myself a real beginner.....so start from the basics........much appreciated!

My equipment consists of a McIntosh 6300, Oppo 980H, and PMC GB1 I
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Funk, did you get any speakers? This thread has digressed a bit, so it's hard to tell.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn10 View Post

Hi FunkMonkey,

This was such an exciting journey for you and in a way I hate to see it end......the best for you and your new speakers and keep us informed about your experiences during your break-in period!!

To all the recent posts about squeezebox,ripping CD"s to FLAC,etc. etc. .......I know I can do the search thing but I'm looking at all the "Masters" here in one place...........Where can I find out more info ( links will be nice) for a beginner looking to go in this direction. Consider myself a real beginner.....so start from the basics........much appreciated!

My equipment consists of a McIntosh 6300, Oppo 980H, and PMC GB1 I

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

http://forums.slimdevices.com/
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Mahalo Rydenfan
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is something generic to FLAC:
http://flac.org/

Here are the Sonos forums:
http://forums.sonos.com/

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Deneb, I decided to get the HT3's, but still entertain the option to build my own. The later would require a lot more research on drivers, enclosures, and crossovers and finding/purchasing some computer programs to model sound reproduction in the enclosures, and a whole bunch of stuff that I really have no clue about how to do successfully. I could build them, and I know they would look sweet, but not sure how they would sound. So as soon as I hear back from Jim I am going to make my order official with the HT3's. They destroy my original budget, but in my mind the added clarity, and full lush mids, not to mention their outstanding bass response (not bloated or anything) smooth and even through the whole spectrum of sound. Really it was getting the chills so often that made up my mind. They managed that on all of the songs that I thought would do it, and another that I would have never thought it possible.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks rydenfan and cschang for posting links, I haven't had a chance to look them over yet, so I don't know if they would apply to my next question...

Are there any Apple/Mac based systems? I have been a Mac guy since the Apple IIe, way back in the early 80's. I have all my CD's ripped through iTunes, some at lossless most at 256kbps (for space conservation). If I do move to a server based system I would eventually re-rip everything in Apple-lossless or Flac.

again, thanks for the info guys
Peace,
Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Thanks rydenfan and cschang for posting links, I haven't had a chance to look them over yet, so I don't know if they would apply to my next question...

Are there any Apple/Mac based systems? I have been a Mac guy since the Apple IIe, way back in the early 80's. I have all my CD's ripped through iTunes, some at lossless most at 256kbps (for space conservation). If I do move to a server based system I would eventually re-rip everything in Apple-lossless or Flac.

Peace,
Funk

Thanks funkmonkey for starting this thread. Mostly because of this thread, I just ordered a pair of SongTowers and a SongCenter.

I'm also interested in the response you get to the above. I have all of my CDs ripped using iTunes on a PC at 192kbps (space conversation for my iPod). With the new speakers, I guess I'll have to re-rip everything in lossless. I'm thinking about switching to an iMac. And recently bought an Apple TV since I want video as well as audio capabilities. Just curious about options to the ATV for audio though.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peace,
Funk

My worries Funk, I have been a Mac kid since my first Apple IIe and then the TGS! With Squeezecenter, which controls Squeezebox and Transporter you can import directly from itunes.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Funk, have you decided on a wood and finish? I think the hardest thing about deciding on a pair of HT3's would be what wood to get them in? Jim builds some beautiful cabinets!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 178
[quote=funkmonkey;13437929]Deneb, "I decided to get the HT3's....."

Whew. I was getting worried there for a while. I would have been happy to help you out with the measurements and software, but it's a very steep learning curve, and it's also best not to get your feet wet with a flull-blown cutting edge 3-way, with transmission line loading to boot. It could give you chills for other reasons. Better to start with a cheap 2-way and learn what's involved.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Mahalo cschang.........and advance Mahalo's for any future beginner links and advice
Old 03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Nice Funk, I'm very jealous and haven't even heard those. So with the HT3 are you now looking at amps?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

[quote=bahorn;13438320]Thanks funkmonkey for starting this thread. Mostly because of this thread, I just ordered a pair of SongTowers and a SongCenter.
QUOTE]

Must have been you calling when I was standing in the shop today bending Jim's ear. He had 3 speaker orders already today. Keep those phones busy!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Peace,
Funk

Funk,

One of the easiest ways would be to hook your mac to a USB DAC to your amp (or pre-amp, or receiver...) You can control your music through itunes and the sound is terrific. For a few hundred bucks a Squeezebox is so easy to use. When i visited Jim's place earlier this week we listened to everything through a squeezebox and it sounded great!
Of course, you could listen to a stretched cassette tape played on a twenty year old walkman and it would still sound great on his speakers!

I've been giving the following a hard look as my set-up: Mac Mini--->USB DAC (haven't figured out which one yet)---> Int. Amp. Using an itouch with 3rd. party software as a remote control (you can access itunes this way).

Check out computeraudiophile.com. A guy named Chris runs it and he has been putting together systems (all Mac based) based on price. I think he's on number three now. There is a lot of info. for what you're looking for.

Doug.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I decided to get the HT3's.

Congratulations on this spectacular upgrade. I'm glad to have been the one to have first introduced you to the Salk sound.

I wanted to chime in on the recent comments about computer audio. My source is a Squeezebox 3 modified by Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio, with a battery power supply. It sounds better than any CD player I have ever heard. I found that once I started experiencing the sonic improvements and convenience of computer audio, there was no going back to CDs. To me CDs are just a carrying case for data, that only becomes music when I rip it to a hard drive .
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=Dennis Murphy;13438386]
Quote:

Deneb, "I decided to get the HT3's....."

Whew. I was getting worried there for a while. I would have been happy to help you out with the measurements and software, but it's a very steep learning curve, and it's also best not to get your feet wet with a flull-blown cutting edge 3-way, with transmission line loading to boot. It could give you chills for other reasons. Better to start with a cheap 2-way and learn what's involved.

I was just writing an e-mail to you about this Dennis, I'm going to send it anyway, and you can disregard some of my questions if you want, but i still want to build a speaker further down the road...

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke to Jim on the phone today. I need to look at some veneer options and should be sending him my deposit within a couple of days. So the ball is definitely rolling... can you say homestretch?

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest