Speakerquest (so far...) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I thought the speakerquest was over...at least for the OP's. Are we on the cusp of following Rydenfan over the brink of madness on his quest for the new Dynaudio Sapphires? Is it coincidence that they are a love/hate design? Sounds like a book for one of Mary Shelley's descendants...maybe entitled, "Rydenfan and the Impossible Quest" or maybe "Rydenfan and His Own Hi-Fi Frankenstein"... I'm just eyballin' his used Dali's at this point!

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I hate to say it, but I told you!

I agree; they are a stunningly gorgeous speaker, though I can see why their looks are a love hate sort of thing. Even my wife thought they were cool looking, though! Of course, after I told her the retail price she said "Oh...never." LOL!

So...16K is quite the asking price. Better start saving those pennies now, huh?

I know, I know...

As with any speaker there is obviously some wiggle room. The bigger issue is that only 1,000 pairs are being made, and of that 1,000 only 300 are allocated for the US So, it is not even a situation where saving for a while would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

So I thought the speakerquest was over...at least for the OP's. Are we on the cusp of following Rydenfan over the brink of madness on his quest for the new Dynaudio Sapphires? Is it coincidence that they are a love/hate design? Sounds like a book for one of Mary Shelley's descendants...maybe entitled, "Rydenfan and the Impossible Quest" or maybe "Rydenfan and His Own Hi-Fi Frankenstein"... I'm just eyballin' his used Dali's at this point!

Jason

Thanks for all that. Right now my Dali's are not going anywhere though. The Sapphires are much more of a dream than a reality right now. Besides I added some beautiful original 1950's Mullard tubes to my setup last night, and the sound is just glorious. I am glad to be so happy with my current sound. It is easy to get down on what you have when you want something else, that is the nature of this hobby. I will certainly let you know should I decide to part with what I have.
post #723 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, but it's not that I'm particulary interested in the Dali's you might want to sell off (I've got my own pair of Euphonia MS-4's coming in on Wednesday). I just regarded you as a staunch Dali fan and was surprised that you might jump ship for the Dynaudios...

Jason

post #724 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the sad affliction of being a serial upgrader

But, yes, I am a big fan of Dali.
post #725 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I am also very interested in hearing some Aerial Acoustics Model 9's, but these seem difficult to audition. Has anyone here heard them?
post #726 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I am also very interested in hearing some Aerial Acoustics Model 9's, but these seem difficult to audition. Has anyone here heard them?

Rydenfan....because of the subjective and personal nature of loudspeaker preference, I'll not bore you with my superlative adjectives regarding these Aerials. But you'll do yourself a disservice if you do not at least audition these before you buy something in that class.

Where are you located? There must be a dealer or a willing owner somewhere in your vicinity.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #727 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Rydenfan....because of the subjective and personal nature of loudspeaker preference, I'll not bore you with my superlative adjectives regarding these Aerials. But you'll do yourself a disservice if you do not at least audition these before you buy something in that class.

Where are you located? There must be a dealer or a willing owner somewhere in your vicinity.

Hah! All it takes is a mention of Aerial to get Mudslide to come out of the woodwork. Good to see you contributing again on a more regular basis.
post #728 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hah! All it takes is a mention of Aerial to get Mudslide to come out of the woodwork. Good to see you contributing again on a more regular basis.

Oh....I'm soooo abashed. (Maybe Mike Kelly will send me a free t-shirt sometime for being a fanboy, lol.)

MARGARITAS,
post #729 of 2204 Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition to the Aerials, in the price range of the Dyn Sapphires, you really should check out the Revel Studio2's. They are pretty much the epitome of text-book accuracy. Doesn't mean you'll like them of course, but it would be a good reference point for what a neutral speaker sounds like. Well, given that it is set-up properly of course.
post #730 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have actually not been able to find a single dealer in the state of Florida that has the 9's on display. Sometimes this hobby is so odd.
post #731 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the sad affliction of being a serial upgrader

Ahhh...I know the affliction well...though the Euphonias will be my first major speaker upgrade in about 5 years.

Jason

post #732 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Mudslide -
Has your disastrous shipping blunder been dealt with? I hope there is still a pair of Aerials out there with your name on it.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #733 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mudslide -
Has your disastrous shipping blunder been dealt with? I hope there is still a pair of Aerials out there with your name on it.

Mornin' Brandon.

Thanks for asking. Yep, it is all done with and the good guys won one. Disaster has turned into opportunity. UPS settled with the seller/shipper, and he settled with me vis a vis a full refund. He was a really upright guy as I had thought/hoped. I now have this bashed pair in-house, got them running again (though they're still not very attractive) and have all my mullah back. I haven't decided what to do with them as yet, but it's mighty nice to have the set to play with. (You know that those Stereophile adjectives are itching to come out on the keyboard right now! )

Aerial Acoustics 7B garage speakers anyone?!

MARGARITAS,
post #734 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mornin' Brandon.

Thanks for asking. Yep, it is all done with and the good guys won one. Disaster has turned into opportunity. UPS settled with the seller/shipper, and he settled with me vis a vis a full refund. He was a really upright guy as I had thought/hoped. I now have this bashed pair in-house, got them running again (though they're still not very attractive) and have all my mullah back. I haven't decided what to do with them as yet, but it's mighty nice to have the set to play with. (You know that those Stereophile adjectives are itching to come out on the keyboard right now! )

If you still have them and received a refund, what do you think it'd cost to have Aerial repair them?

Nevermind - see below.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #735 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I say Mudslide should buy another pair with the money he got back, and we should ship these to each other as demo speakers
post #736 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

what do you think it'd cost to have Aerial repair them?

I actually called Aerial about that, and they said that it would cost nearly as much as buying a new pair if not more, because of the labor costs to disassemble the speakers, getting new cabinets shipped from overseas, and labor to re-instal the drivers, crossovers, and stuff. All that plus shipping to them, and back would most likely cost more than a new pair at full retail.

Quote:

Yep, it is all done with and the good guys won one....

Woohoo! I am really glad to hear that everything has worked out for you Mudslide!

Quote:

Hmmmmm... maybe, now to find a garage If I had my shop space I would be all over it, but unfortunately I am an artist without a studio for the time being. If I had the shop I could fix 'em myself and re-veneer and they would be pretty again, and I could spend more than a few months A/B-ing them with my HT3s when they get here...

Good to see you back in the mix, Mudslide

Cheers
-Funk

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #737 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I say Mudslide should buy another pair with the money he got back, and we should ship these to each other as demo speakers

ooo, I like that idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

I actually called Aerial about that, and they said that it would cost nearly as much as buying a new pair if not more, because of the labor costs to disassemble the speakers, getting new cabinets shipped from overseas, and labor to re-instal the drivers, crossovers, and stuff. All that plus shipping to them, and back would most likely cost more than a new pair at full retail.
-Funk

Bummer. Well, lets all keep an eye out for Mudslide then. No one deserves audio nirvana more than he does!

Mud - I am on a mission to help you find those Aeiral's. I'll keep my eyes pealed for ya!

Edit: What finish are you looking for and what's the price range?

Check it:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1213023245 - only $2000 for these!
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1212725372
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1212599672

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #738 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ooo, I like that idea!

Bummer. Well, lets all keep an eye out for Mudslide then. No one deserves audio nirvana more than he does!

Mud - I am on a mission to help you find those Aeiral's. I'll keep my eyes pealed for ya!

Check it:

I'll chip $100 into the pot to help Mudslide fund his purchase of his dream speakers. Anyone else willing to help out?
post #739 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys are really warming my spirits and tickling my funny bone today. Rydenfan...I like Tim's idea (^) WAY better, lol!!

But it would be a cool pair to haul around the northwest to GTGs...assuming we can pull one or more off!

MARGARITAS,
post #740 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woohoo! I am really glad to hear that everything has worked out for you Mudslide!

Hmmmmm... maybe, now to find a garage If I had my shop space I would be all over it, but unfortunately I am an artist without a studio for the time being. If I had the shop I could fix 'em myself and re-veneer and they would be pretty again, and I could spend more than a few months A/B-ing them with my HT3s when they get here...

Good to see you back in the mix, Mudslide

Cheers
-Funk

Oh Funk....you are just the guy I've been looking for. Wood artistry, eh?! And I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the HT3s. I'd engage in extra-curricular work and even try to make my posts funny () in order to be able to A/B the two pairs.

MARGARITAS,
post #741 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ooo, I like that idea!

Check it:

Any finish and CHEAP! Thanks Brandon. I check Agon every day. Truth is, I really need a Sugar Mama! Got an extra?

MARGARITAS,
post #742 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll chip $100 into the pot to help Mudslide fund his purchase of his dream speakers. Anyone else willing to help out?

DANG!!! I think all you guys should listen to Tim! He's a VERY wise person.

(You are too much, Tim! Many thanks, but I think the guys are pretty well strapped from keeping up with their own dreams.)

MARGARITAS,
post #743 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys are really warming my spirits and tickling my funny bone today. Rydenfan...I like Tim's idea (^) WAY better, lol!!

But it would be a cool pair to haul around the northwest to GTGs...assuming we can pull one or more off!

I'm dead serious about my offer. I know you got a really good deal on the Aerials that were damaged. If we all pitch in just a little, we could easily get enough money together to make up the difference. How much do you need?
post #744 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm dead serious about my offer. I know you got a really good deal on the Aerials that were damaged. If we all pitch in just a little, we could easily get enough money together to make up the difference. How much do you need?

Tim, you have one HUGE heart! Thank you so much! In fact, this group (especially those participating on these two 'Search' threads) is a damn fine brotherhood. But I can't give you an answer. I just can't......

MARGARITAS,
post #745 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

would that qualify as a "charitable donation" when I do my taxes next year???

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #746 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh Funk....you are just the guy I've been looking for. Wood artistry, eh?! And I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the HT3s. I'd engage in extra-curricular work and even try to make my posts funny () in order to be able to A/B the two pairs.

If you lived within a couple hours drive I would be glad to help you restore them, and would only charge you a few Stone Ruination IPA's to make 'em purdy again!

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #747 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...only charge you a few Stone Ruination IPA's to make 'em purdy again!

Mmmmm...Stone Ruination...that's some tasty and dangerous brew. I'm a huge fan of IPA's, sucking down a Bell's Two-Hearted right now. Deee-liiii-cious!

Jason

post #748 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim, you have one HUGE heart! Thank you so much! In fact, this group (especially those participating on these two 'Search' threads) is a damn fine brotherhood. But I can't give you an answer. I just can't......

Well, I certainly don't want to make you uncomfortable or make anyone else feel obligated to help, but if there is anything I can do, just let me know.
post #749 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I certainly don't want to make you uncomfortable or make anyone else feel obligated to help, but if there is anything I can do, just let me know.

You got it. Many thanks, Tim...and everyone who has sent kind words and thoughts my way!! There are some pretty special people here.

MARGARITAS,
post #750 of 2204 Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Mmmmm...Stone Ruination...that's some tasty and dangerous brew. I'm a huge fan of IPA's, sucking down a Bell's Two-Hearted right now. Deee-liiii-cious!

Jason

I LOVE Bell's! I am jealous.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page