post #811 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

But yet you refuse to listen to them. ZING! HAHA, I couldn't resist. J/K you cabinetry whore!

LOL. Really I did LOL. I think the word whore just makes me giggle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, the gloves are coming off over here

Everyone's lack of speakers is going to their brain
post #813 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Avalon Acoustics Indra/Ascendant??

Any info?

I'm getting an audition on my way to Miami in July and wanted someone else's take on them. Other than they are gorgeous.
post #814 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 PM

All this Salk talk... I mean a lot of it. It would be great if I could make a Salk HT3 stop during my Tasmanian tour of Chicago's loudspeakers. If anyone in the greater Chicagoland area would like to have me over for a demo let me know.

-Michael
post #815 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenamc View Post

All this Salk talk... I mean a lot of it. It would be great if I could make a Salk HT3 stop during my Tasmanian tour of Chicago's loudspeakers. If anyone in the greater Chicagoland area would like to have me over for a demo let me know.

-Michael

Check the frappers link in the first post of the Salk Owner's Thread to see if anyone has them in that area. I thought there was an owner...

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #816 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

You seem to be taking it in stride, which I find amazing. Waiting 8+ weeks for my first attempt at dream speakers (the Focals) was maddening. Luckily the wait for all of the subsequent speakers has been much shorter.

believe me it is not that easy! Working 50+ hour weeks helps immensely. Has it really been 8 weeks already???

JIM, where the heck are my speakers!!! :

Quote:

You know, while I'm excited about the potential sound quality of the Revels, I find their design rather uninspired. Kevin Voeks is proud of the fact that they did not hire an industrial designer to design the cabinet, that it is purely form follows function, but I think they should have consulted someone considering that they are a high-end speaker.

wow, really? I guess I have always been a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, and modern simplicity. I feel the most beautiful things are the most simple. And I studied industrial design for a couple of years... The subtle undulating curves on the front baffle are what get me off. I can not imagine having the grills on those speakers. ever. With the grills on I have to agree with you that they look "pedestrian" and unspectacular. Still a huge improvement over their predecessor.

Quote:

But I've got a solution for their rather pedestrian appearance. If I like the way they sound, I'll have them custom painted by a friend that works at a local auto finishing shop. How's that for dedication to the hoby?

You are an appearance whore! Hey, you could have him airbrush a topless chick hanging onto the leg of some big barbarian dude that is clutching a battle axe on the side of them. And have some long white shag speaker grills made up for them... (you remember those vans from the 70's right?

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #817 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

You are an appearance whore! Hey, you could have him airbrush a topless chick hanging onto the leg of some big barbarian dude that is clutching a battle axe on the side of them. And have some long white shag speaker grills made up for them... (you remember those vans from the 70's right?

I was thinking a white-bearded wizard holding a staff would be more my style. Maybe with gold-metallic fabric grill covers? That would be spiff! Yeah baby yeah!

I see no shame in having an interest in things that are both beautiful and functional. If that makes me a whore, so be it!
post #818 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The subtle undulating curves on the front baffle are what get me off.

Yeah, me too! But maybe not A-cup subtle.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #819 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Yeah, me too! But maybe not A-cup subtle.

Quote:

I was thinking a white-bearded wizard holding a staff would be more my style. Maybe with gold-metallic fabric grill covers? That would be spiff! Yeah baby yeah!

I see no shame in having an interest in things that are both beautiful and functional. If that makes me a whore, so be it!

No shame at all my friend, none at all. I am the guy who combed the net for an interesting veneer, and asked Jim to re-shape the HT3 for me. I guess I like the "classic" box shape... but I wanted to dress the box like a pimp.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #820 of 2204 Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No shame at all my friend, none at all. I am the guy who combed the net for an interesting veneer, and asked Jim to re-shape the HT3 for me. I guess I like the "classic" box shape... but I wanted to dress the box like a pimp.

Fo shizzle!
post #821 of 2204 Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ LOL @ all of you. That was a good laugh.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #822 of 2204 Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Hmmmm. Really? Remember--the mid-tweeter crossover only works as intended on the stock baffle.
post #823 of 2204 Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I am confused. So you are saying an entire new crossover will have to be made?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #824 of 2204 Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

^ I am confused. So you are saying an entire new crossover will have to be made?

Hi I really haven't been part of this purchase process. I don't know what shape the funkmeister requested, or whether it's already been built. All I can say is that the shape of the baffle matters--that's what determines the pattern of diffraction peaks and dips from the mid and tweeter that have to be incorporated into the crossover design.
post #825 of 2204 Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dennis-

I asked Jim to make the cabinets rectangular. That was the only way my wife would let me get the HT3. She thinks the standard cabinet looks too much like a coffin. (from what I can tell she shares this opinion with a fair number of women) Jim told me that the difference would be subtle, and wasn't sure if I would be able to hear it, but he was sure that it could be measured...

I would love for you to be more a part of my purchase process. Do you think the crossover will need to be reworked? It sounds like that may be the case. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Greg

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #826 of 2204 Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi I honestly don't know whether you would hear the difference, although as Jim says, you could measure it. I can understand why Jim wouldn't want to make a separate cabinet and ship that hog out to me for a test. Though maybe if he had a staff of 20 and could fill it up with helium to save on shipping costs..... As a general proposition, however, I wouldn't want a lot of people to start redesigning the HT3 as part of a custom order. Anyhow, knowing how picky Jim is, I'm sure he'll tell you if he can hear a differnece and if so, I would get involved.
post #827 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dennis. I was extremely hesitant to even request a different cabinet shape. But honestly, it was the only way I could get the HT3s, and after hearing them I couldn't settle for less.

Thanks again,
Cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #828 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't fret funk master - it'll work out in the end bro. Jim will be straight up honest with you. And if crossover work does need to be done, there is none better than Dennis in the business. They'll take care of you bud!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #829 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 AM

This is from Thursday. Funkmonkey gave me the go-ahead to post. I don't know if anyone is interested in my musical selection, but I will likely provide some links. I will discuss music with anyone, so feel free to ask.

Music in Motion - Revel Ultima Studio1 w/all Lexicon Front

I got to a late start, but I arrived in the greater Chicagoland area around 11:30am local time. This was the closest stop and so I began here, knowing they carried both Dynaudio and Revel. Sadly, they had nothing in Dyn to really shake things up, so I listened to the Ultima Studio1.

When Dead Can Dance Host of the Seraphim started I was standing in the corner of the room next to the gear and immediately noticed how unusually centered the sound was. It was uncanny, considering I was nowhere near on axis for the stereo pair. I had to look, and sure enough the Lex was doing its crazy Logic7 magic. Switched to 2-channel and got in position. In short, that was an impressive showcase of Logic7. In two channel I was immediately impressed with how much added depth I was hearing compared to what I am accustomed to (GS60 Monitor Audio). The whole soundstage was pushed much further behind the speaker plane. But there was a really unhealthy quality to vocals which I did not notice in the DCD song. It took the next track to expose this. On Dr. Feelgood Aretha's voice was not what I would call natural in any sense. It had a hollow almost cave-like echo effect to it. I played a few other songs with the same impression. Surely this wasn't the speaker. Sure enough, the sales person came back in the room and for the first time we spoke inside this room. It was almost an echo chamber for my voice. I think I did not notice it on the Dead Can Dance because it was recorded in a church and the track is not inhibited by further reverberation. On everything else I tried, however, vocals specifically had a very unnatural quality. It is too bad, and I will certainly try and audition some Ultimas in another environment some day.

Audio Consultants - B&W w/Rotel

Started off with the 804. Started out with Come Together. Bass was boomy and in no way defined to these ears. The sound quality was good, overall, it sounded like it was coming out of good speakers. The illusion of being in the room with the Beatles just never got pulled off. I brought a sibilance checker with me, Cowboys, off of Portishead's self titled second album. It was pretty bad and I did not last more than 30 seconds with it, failing the sibilance check. Moved on to Balamouk off Les Yeux Noirs' CD of the same name. This is a Klezmer band with some very talented musicians I have seen perform live twice at a world music fest. This particular track has some heavy bass and it muddied up everything else, which is likely somewhat to do with the room, but I am not positive.

Moved on to the 803 (no pic, sorry) with the same Rotel CDP and separates
On Last Goodbye from Jeff Buckley's Grace, everything shaped up really nicely. This is not a bass heavy track and by this point I had gotten the ports plugged which helped tighten the bass up as well. The presentation of Buckley's voice through the 803 gave the impression of a live performance much better than the 804, IMO. On Balamouk the bass was tighter and deeper, but still not quite where I am used to it in either respect. I asked about hearing the 803D and the dealer suggested I should move straight to the 802D paired with Ayre Evo UDP and McIntosh C2200/MC402. Who was I to argue?

My first impression of this setup can be summed up in three words: heaviest remote ever. My impression of the 802D: bowling ball. Seriously though, I really felt like I had found something that improved notably on what I have had the past month. Nothing against the 804 and 803, but they just did not do it for me that much more than my GS60s. This setup was something special. Maybe it was the Ayre, maybe the McIntosh tubed Preamp, maybe the huge honkin' output Transformer in the MC402. Frankly I didn't care. I put in Abbey Road with the intention of listening to a track and skipping here and there. I hit Mean Mr. Mustard about the time the dealer re-joined me and I hadn't once thought about moving on until then. I don't have a lot of notes on this one, but the sound is not likely to leave me for awhile. After listening, I took a minute and jotted down some quick thoughts. The bass was a little tubby. It was very full but on Balamouk the bass almost consumed an accordion that I normally make out without difficulty. On Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, op14; IV - March to the Scaffold dynamics were just about everything I could ask for out of a speaker. I will admit on the same track there was not pinpoint precision for each instrument, but again this is a small chink in good armor. I noticed similar on Ellington's Festival Junction from Newport '56 but they both sounded so good and got me excited to be listening. Even the Kinks' Shangri-La was a great listen for me, and they did not get a Beatles budget. Very musical system. And that is what this should be about. Aesthetically, a bowling ball on a nice wood column.

Thiel CS2.4 with the same Rotel from the 803/804

These performed a better disappearing act than the 804, but after the 802D I was spoiled. Soundstage width was on par with the 803, but a bit deeper. Beck's voice on Little One was huge, almost filling the wall. I was really impressed with the tightness of the bass on these, probably the best I had heard today so far, but on the other end it seemed to lose a little air that everything else had had. This speaker was only the second of the day to pass my sibilance test (see above, e.g. Portishead) but it definitely seemed to be rolled off in the upper register to me. Nothing felt alive, but it all sounded good. In short, these speakers did not excite me. They played beautifully and I think a lot of people would really like them, but for me they just didn't have any spark. Aesthetically, I found them utterly average and I find my GS60 to be more pleasing all around. I hope this offends no one.

Decibel Audio - Dali Helicon 400 MkI with Cary 98/CD300 and Parasound A21

It took no time whatsoever to figure out why so many people are Dali fans. These are speakers that tell you how they will sound just by looking at them. Refined, beautiful, perhaps a bit stately. But seriously, I could have listened to this setup all afternoon, and I nearly did. The midrange is a lot more laid back and has a warmer quality than on my GS60, similar to... I guess the Thiels, but I liked listening to these a lot more. Not as full a soundstage as the 803, and certainly did not seem to have as much bass. What was there in the deep end, however, was cleaner and more well defined than on that B&W again similar to the Thiel. If you asked what I liked about these that made them different than the Thiel, I would point to two non-aesthetic qualities. First - the air I felt was missing in the Thiels was here in abundant detail. Good separation of instruments on the Ellington and on Carnaval de Sao Vicente by Cesaria Evora. The latin percussion was perfectly placed, the brass was all nicely rendered if a bit on the soft side from natural. If I had a complaint on this system, it would be that I could not hear anything else from Dali in the store. Also, the midrange, as lush and warm as it was left a little to be desired from a clarity standpoint. In the strictest of terms, the mids were a tiny bit muddy for lack of a more fitting term. I left wanting more, though... so I am going to say I would certainly forgive them this complaint.

Saturday Audio, NAD M3 & T585

PSB Synchrony One with above front. These are remarkable little speakers and I never had them on my list. Reminded me a lot of the Dali, with a little less warmth and a little less top end detail and air. They were also a little polite to my ears, but not in a bad way. I did notice there seemed to be a lift to the upper mids, maybe in the 1000-1500Hz range. It became a bit distracting because otherwise there was nothing to indicate a major deviation from neutral. They also were a little frustrating because on a few occasions one speaker would draw attention to itself, let its presence be known. I hadn't expected this, since I hadn't heard it since the 804 and according to my sales guy, these compete with speakers north of 15K. Overall, that is mostly a nickpicking point, since these had a nice natural sound to them. Also, tight bass with good extension, a bit more output than the Dali in the low sector. Lively, but didn't glue me to the chair like the Dali or the 802D.

PL300 with the same NAD M3/T585

Wow, this really took a long time to get here. I have only listened to two pairs in the price range of this one, but everything else I listened to retail for roughly what these are go for "used". I know it's unfair, but it will be how I would go about justifying this purchase in the event I make it. I suppose to be completely fair, I should really try and find some Dali Euphonias, some Revel F52s, and some Dynaudio Contour S5.4, amongst others that will sell used for what the PL300 are. I tried today, but I was mostly unsuccessful. Getting to the point, here are some impressions:
I have little to add to the discussion of the PL300, as I believe most of this is just rehashing. It was bar-none the most detailed speaker I have ever heard without any high-end harshness. They were certainly more forward than the 802D or the Studio1, but I would liken it to sitting in the 6th row at an accoustic event compared to sitting maybe 15th. Regardless, I was very impressed with them. I still found the sound to be very holographic and very deep. The best analogy would be to say you have a cube of sound. On the Studio1 the cube was all behind the speakers, on the 802D I would say it extended beyond the speaker plane by a bit, on the PL300 the cube extended just a little further yet. I would not say any of the three had more depth, the depth just happened to be in different places relative to the speaker drivers. Warpdrv said the character of the PL300 was similar to the 802D. I am inclined to agree, with some minor points of contention which may be more room related than speaker. I found the PL300 to have more defined bass. As an example Nude by Radiohead, a song I have listened to plenty of times since December. I have never heard the bass the way I did tonight on the PL. I actually got the deep note, but also the texture of the bass guitar. It was totally unexpected. When listening to Come Together I heard the same effect and also noted how fricken great Paul plays on that song. I further noticed a moment when some fingers ran over electric guitar frets right before starting their holding pattern for notes. That almost made me fall out of the couch. Listening to Hunted by the Kodo Drummers of Japan, the PL300 left any sense of excess bass completely out of question. These are DEEP playing drums, but I could have pointed to each drummer in line and I even noticed some playful trade-offs between drummers I had not noticed before. This effect was absent in the 802D, but that could be in part the fault of the room. The PL300 were in a very damped room, whereas the 802D were in an open room with only a couple of bass traps in the upper corners. What I would LOVE to have a chance to do is have both speakers running on the Mac gear in the damped room along with the Revels from earlier in the day, since I am sure their room killed them for me. One other thing in might have noticed that I think was entirely psychological, but I will mention just in case I am not insane. When listening to Invisible Ink by Aimee Mann, I could have sworn she was singing into the room from the right. The voice was centered, but it seemed to have an angle to it. I assumed it was a weird toeing issue with the left speaker. Then I listened to Shangri-La and Davies' voice seemed to be angled in from the left. At this point I was sure I was crazy, but on to Joanna Newsom and Cesaria Evora and both of their voices were coming straight at me. It was as if.... somehow.... the PL300 managed to convey the way a singer sang into their respective mic. Again, I am certain I imagined this all, but in the event anyone here has experienced the same it would be nice to know of my sanity. On to the Ellington; just as lively and wonderful as it was on the 802D and Dali, but with better separation than at least the Dali. Then I get to Cat Anderson's solo on the trumpet and I can hear the guy tonguing his notes. Holy fricken crapola.

One thing I did learn today. The GS60 really are a fine speaker and hold up nicely against their direct competition. Only the Dali would have earned a place in my home over the GS60 if I were looking for speakers in this price bracket. And even then I am pretty sure I don't prefer the Dali, I just think they are great great speakers. Much like I feel about the GS60.

-Michael

Secondary edit: Let Down from Radiohead's OK Computer on the PL300. This is a bit harder to describe and I may not be entirely correct about the process used in production/mixing, but this track has Yorke's voice split left and right and I believe out of phase. I have never heard it sound the way it did on the PL300 before with exception of some nice studio grade headphones. The effect the PL300 pulled off left me pretty well stunned as his voice projected out far from the speaker plane. This wasn't mere inches, either. It pulled off the illusion of the vocalists being well into the room. It floored me.
post #830 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 06:47 AM

Round Two

Round two was a much more limited day. Limited by time and options for listening as well. I headed to Carmel where the Revel dealer is supposed to be located. Turns out, there was a house there. Not a house that might be a store, either. I called the number and got nothing. Strike one for my day in Indianapolis.

I moved on to the Paradigm dealer. Told the guy inside what I had looked at and he redirected me to the "Ultimate" dealership which is owned and run by the same people, but entered through a separate entrance. Got inside the "ultimate" store and asked about Paradigm Reference. "We can get them, but you need to be in the other part of the store to get them ordered. None are available for audition. Look at these Watt Puppies instead." Not an exact quote, but much like yesterday and the 802D, who was I to argue?

Wilson Watt Puppy 8 w/BAT 42SE Preamp, BAT 600SE Amp, Esoteric DV-60 UDP.

The guy showing these speakers off was just fun to hang out with and listen to music. You could sense his genuine excitement about the tech behind the gear and the performance that technology affords. He played several tracks to show off the system, including a live Holly Cole track, a few live Neil Young tracks from a 1971 concert, a track off the 'Round Midnight soundtrack, and a couple others, including a percussion ensemble (he didn't know who it was and could not tell me) and a nice piece of traditional Indian. I have to say, this system could really play loud. Really loud. Loud. Though, however loud it got, nothing seemed to break up or sound fatigued. I suppose that is what you get for north of 50 grand for a stereo. The W/P 8 were nice speakers, and the front end was beautiful and no doubt performs with the very top. On all the show-off tracks, the system managed to do a good job of representing space. I am not certain how much better the Wilson's did on soundstage depth than anything else I have listened to and I won't draw comparison from yesterday except from the notes I have written down. I don't think my sonic memory is that good. Plus, this was music I am not familiar with. Though, I may pick up the Young concert and possibly the Cole as well based off the listening I did.

On my music, the speakers did a fine job and I liked them well enough. This system did not change my life though. It was fun to rock out on and was also really impressive how easily it handled output north of 80dB. On my sibilance check, I turned it down, but not off. I still would not listen to it every day, much like I said about the presentation on the PL300. I occasionally felt that there was a little weirdness to these speakers that I cannot quite put my finger on. This is specifically with music I am familiar with, things did not always feel "right". It always sounded fine, but I actually got more involved with the show off tracks than I did with music I have loved for years. Odd. Overall, something to look into if your budget is a LOT higher than mine and you like the somewhat industrial appearance of their exterior. I will go ahead and throw in that these are really tech-filled boxes and impressive in that regard. In fact, the dealer asked me to try and bend the grill or break it. I didn't put a lot of effort into it, but I have no doubt I could not have succeeded in breaking the grill. Nice.

Focal JMLabs 1027Be w/Arcam MS250, BAT 32SE & 250SE. Then a BAT VK55

After spending far too much time with a system I won't be able to afford without a sugar momma or a lotto win, I suggested we look at some less exotic and esoteric gear. He jumped toward the Wilson Sophia and I politely asked to look at the Focals. We moved them to the Sophia room and I proceeded to acquaint myself with Focal JMLabs.

The Focals were really a nice little speaker. Of every speaker I have listened to in the last two days, nothing reminded me more of my GS60 than these 1027 Be. Their differences are almost all beneficial too. I would guess less bass extension than anything I have listened to with exception of the 804 B&W, which I would say is pretty close in extension. The bass here, however was tight, lively and nicely detailed. Anyone in the market for a speaker similar to a GS60 deserve to check Focal out. Similarly transparent and similarly fun to listen to, but more easy going with a somewhat more laid back presentation that plays well with everything I listened to on them. Nice detail throughout the range and nice coherence between drivers, allowing them to disappear fairly well, again about like the GS60. Occasionally attention was drawn to one or the other, but overall pretty impressive. This was a really fine speaker being driven by fine gear. After listening for roughly a half hour, we switched to the VK-55. I will say the difference between the VK-250SE and the VK-55 is not enormous, an indication of how well designed both amps are. All the same, there were differences. The bass rolled off a little on my Kodo track (on speakers that were light on that track already) and the highest end seemed a bit more polite, but no less detailed. The magical Valve region is the midrange, though, and here it showed. Not the traditional overly lush and warm presentation I have read about, just a smoothness to it that was really pleasing to the ear. Again, not a night/day difference and ultimately a good indicator of exactly how well designed the SS amp is. I would have liked to have another SS amp to switch back to, but you can't always get what you want.

It may be a while before I have any more to share. For now, I am going to listen to my speakers.

-Michael
post #831 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Outstanding write up Grenamc! I notice in the first pic with the B&W's (the Audio Consultants B&W 804) there is an Anthony Gallow Reference speaker in the pic as well, did you by chance happen to give those a listen?

Anyways very nice summaries and a great selection of speakers! The bar keeps getting raised for speaker impressions around here.
post #832 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 PM

I ran out of time for the Gallo, but Chicago is a fairly regular trip for me. I have just never made it before for this purpose. I imagine I will again.

-Michael
post #833 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb View Post

The bar keeps getting raised for speaker impressions around here.

No kidding, great write-up Michael.

I have heard a few people say the the sound signature of the HT3 is similar to that of the B&W 802D (I have not heard the 802D myself, but would like to just to see if that claim holds any merit). And from what Tim said about his impressions of the PL300, I would guess that there is a also a similarity there too... perhaps the HT3 would be the balance between the two that you would find as ideal as I do.

Cheers

edit: Another "unbiased" view from a soon to be Salk owner

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #834 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I have heard a few people say the the sound signature of the HT3 is similar to that of the B&W 802D (I have not heard the 802D myself, but would like to just to see if that claim holds any merit). And from what Tim said about his impressions of the PL300, I would guess that there is a also a similarity there too... perhaps the HT3 would be the balance between the two that you would find as ideal as I do.

Cheers

Salk seems to be run out of Michigan, so maybe sooner or later I will get the chance to make my way up there and listen. A speaker that is somewhere between the 802D and the PL300 would be a very likely candidate for my perfect sounding unit. The 300's detail, with the magic I got out of the 802D setup. I would love to hear the PL300 with tubes sometime to see how that affects the midrange in attempt to find whatever it is the 802 system did that I felt the PL300 was missing. Even the PL300 through a good parametric EQ just to bump the same range down a touch would also be interesting. Case in point, I loved the detail they had, but I never got a full emotional attachment, as much as I wanted to. It felt like when I saw the second Matrix. It was cool and I definitely wanted to love it, but it ultimately failed to exceed my expectations. The movie (and speaker) met my expectations well enough, but a step or two short of completely bowling me over.
Back to Salk talk, I am a bit of an aesthetics hound, so I definitely want to see the HT3 in person. Pics never do a speaker full justice. I expected the PL300 to be taller than they turned out to be.

-Michael
post #835 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree with much of what Mike said in skimming it. Synchronies, for instance are great speakers in many ways, but I lust after just a bit more from them. Easy to enjoy, but not pulse-quickening. The same design with all metal drivers would almost certainly rip. I wouldn't say they compete with $15K speakers, but they do compete very well with the 803D, IMO, as a fer instance.

John
post #836 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Salk seems to be run out of Michigan, so maybe sooner or later I will get the chance to make my way up there and listen. A speaker that is somewhere between the 802D and the PL300 would be a very likely candidate for my perfect sounding unit. The 300's detail, with the magic I got out of the 802D setup.

NHT Xd. If they still have some. I don't know about the PL300, but they tear through an 802D like a knife through butter. A/Bed them with 803D and 801Ds. Much cleaner, more focused, less colored. IMO, of course

A DEQXed Salk HT3 would be about the only way to top those without spending ridiculous amounts of cash.

John
post #837 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Grenamc;14084126]Salk seems to be run out of Michigan"

Yup. That happens a lot. But we'll find a state that will take us sooner or later. As for the B&W, I haven't heard that model. But the original Matrix always sounded "right" to me. So maybe the voicing of the HT3 is similar.
post #838 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

NHT Xd. If they still have some. I don't know about the PL300, but they tear through an 802D like a knife through butter. A/Bed them with 803D and 801Ds. Much cleaner, more focused, less colored. IMO, of course

A DEQXed Salk HT3 would be about the only way to top those without spending ridiculous amounts of cash.

And my list of speakers to listen to continues to grow. Thanks, John.

-Michael
post #839 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And my list of speakers to listen to continues to grow. Thanks, John.

-Michael

To be fair, I was the biggest Xd dealer for several years running, so might be a bit biased, but I finally got fed up and quit because of continual bad management of the company. That being said, I have a pair and won't part with them because i can't afford to replace them with anything as good. I'd have to go to Gem2s with a B15 to match or beat them, I think. Though.......that is something to consider.........

ListenUp has a blow out sale for $3000/set, which is half price and less than original dealer cost (and one of the reasons I quit) - DSP, amp, sub, stands, cables included. For that price, if you don't LOVE them, you put them in the bedroom.

John
post #840 of 2204 Old 06-14-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cheers

You Salk whore. hehe! No worries brother, we all boast about what we feel is the "best of the best," and there is no doubt in my mind that Salk makes some of the best.

Grenamc - great job pal! I enjoyed reading about your experiences very much in the other thread. Welcome to the "journey/quest!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

To be fair, I was the biggest Xd dealer for several years running, so might be a bit biased, but I finally got fed up and quit because of continual bad management of the company. That being said, I have a pair and won't part with them because i can't afford to replace them with anything as good. I'd have to go to Gem2s with a B15 to match or beat them, I think. Though.......that is something to consider.........

ListenUp has a blow out sale for $3000/set, which is half price and less than original dealer cost (and one of the reasons I quit) - DSP, amp, sub, stands, cables included. For that price, if you don't LOVE them, you put them in the bedroom.

That is a really sick price. It's amazing how many deals pop up when I am financially strapped. What a weird 2008 this has been for me...

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page