post #2191 of 2204 Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Yo...Funk!! This is like bumping into someone at Safeway after months of not seeing him. Hope it's all going good with you and yours, buddy.

Thanks Mud, all is good here; I hope the same goes for you. I've been a little busy with the little one ruling the apartment, while I research 529 plans but every day she and I sit down for some quality listening time. She still LOVES jazz (bop, hard bop, and soul jazz; not a big fan of fusion or free-jazz), but has also been known to rock out every bit as hard as her Dad! Please keep me up to date on the next Oregon Coast GTG, I swear I will show up one of these times.

How many Pepsi cans to go before you get your SoundScapes?

Cheers

->>>≈<<<-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2204 Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Thanks Mud, all is good here; I hope the same goes for you. I've been a little busy with the little one ruling the apartment, while I research 529 plans but every day she and I sit down for some quality listening time. She still LOVES jazz (bop, hard bop, and soul jazz; not a big fan of fusion or free-jazz), but has also been known to rock out every bit as hard as her Dad! Please keep me up to date on the next Oregon Coast GTG, I swear I will show up one of these times.

How many Pepsi cans to go before you get your SoundScapes?

Cheers

Haaaa...great report on the mini-monarch. She chooses only the good music.

Pepsi cans.....grrrr. $10,000 divided by $.05 = 200,000. 199,752 to go. I don't think I'm gonna live long enough to make it, Funk. On the other hand, if someone would releave me of these Aerials, I could do something good. I miss the old days, Greg. The great search for carnal-esque audio pleasures. And now that I know where heaven lies, I can't get there from here. Isn't that a drag?!

This year's GTG....well, we were so tired after last year's event that we sort of thought about doing cans next, and only inviting our wives (or girlfriends...haven't decided which).

Hey, speaking of such, have you bumped into Charlie Sheen yet on any of those sets you build down there? "I'm not bipolar, I'm bi-winner."

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #2193 of 2204 Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hmmm, let's see, I need some milk, some peanut butter, a couple of steaks....

oh, hey guys what's up? Didn't expect to see you at the Redmond Safeway!

Good to see a couple of familiar faces, figuratively speaking.

Me? Well, I was pretty darn happy with the sound of the WB Classe set-up, but I wasn't happy with the reliability of the Classe or the service I needed from WB to address a speaker cross-over problem, so I sold it all off and was planning to drop down a level in price. I got most of the way there and currently own a Denon AVR that has been virtually flawless operationally, and if it sounds worse than the Classe, that subtlety is lost on me. Went through several less expensive monitors, but ended up rebuying the WBs. Doh! Not because I think I need to spend what I did on them to get the sound I wanted, but to get the sound and the style, this is what works for me.

If I were going for sound quality alone though, I'd probably own a set of these:

Best speakers I've heard in a long, long time. Despite the all metal drivers, there is nothing metallic, cold or mechanical about their sound. Wickedly transparent, spacious, tonally right, and dynamic. Good stuff.

Good seeing you guys again.

- Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2194 of 2204 Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

On the other hand, if someone would releave me of these Aerials, I could do something good. I miss the old days, Greg. The great search for carnal-esque audio pleasures. And now that I know where heaven lies, I can't get there from here. Isn't that a drag?!

I think that you would be able to sell them if you listed them, RJ. They are an excellent speaker, and very highly regarded... heck I loved the way they sounded, not quite as much as my HT3s but they do sound great. Lot's of people never even make it as far as you have in audio nirvana.

I miss the hunting days as well, finding the perfect speaker under $2 grand was elusive to say the least, but I found it (even though they cost more than double my target )

Haven't run into Charlie lately, but holy crap what a nut-job!!! Remember the old PSA "this, is your brain... this is your brain on drugs." They would have to use scrambled eggs for Charlie. Dude is out there.

->>>≈<<<-

post #2195 of 2204 Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hmmm, let's see...
Best speakers I've heard in a long, long time. Despite the all metal drivers, there is nothing metallic, cold or mechanical about their sound. Wickedly transparent, spacious, tonally right, and dynamic. Good stuff.

Good seeing you guys again.

Hey Tim,

thanks for the update... glad you are well, as well.

VIVID Audio??? Good sound huh. Not related to Vivid video, right?

Cheers

->>>≈<<<-

post #2196 of 2204 Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

VIVID Audio??? Good sound huh. Not related to Vivid video, right?

Cheers

Hah, well, I don't know, but for an audiophile these are aural sex for sure. And then there is that provocatively shaped port hole below the bass driver that reminds me of a certain lady part.

- Tim

post #2197 of 2204 Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I recently added a pair of surrounds to my system (alla Jim Salk) and I am amazed at how much they actually contribute while watching movies....
I never thought that they were all that important, but they are...
Certainly no where near as important as your L-C-R, but they contribute a good amount and add significantly to the movie/sound experience.
Cheers, and I hope that life finds you all happy, healthy, and wealthy
...and with a damn good sound system (or set of headphones, at least)!cool.gif
-Funk
Deckard97 likes this.

->>>≈<<<-

post #2198 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I too have been on a speaker quest. I got a pair of Aerial 7t's. They are driven by a Mcintosh MC252 fed by a Marantz AV 8801. I recently took the hi Rez plunge, downloaded the latest offering from David Crosby. I use the DAC in my Oppo 105. I literally can't stop sitting around listening to this masterpiece. The combo of the recording and equipment is by far the best musical experience I've had in my room to date.speaker quest done for this guy:)

post #2199 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

I recently added a pair of surrounds to my system (alla Jim Salk) and I am amazed at how much they actually contribute while watching movies....
I never thought that they were all that important, but they are...
Certainly no where near as important as your L-C-R, but they contribute a good amount and add significantly to the movie/sound experience.
Cheers, and I hope that life finds you all happy, healthy, and wealthy
...and with a damn good sound system (or set of headphones, at least)!cool.gif
-Funk

Hi Funk, I've been building my system slowly over the past 6 years, and finally ordered up a pair of surrounds, which will complete my PBN Montana set. I am looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will add another dimension to the movie experience. Enjoys yours as well!
Later,
B
post #2200 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Well, look whose thread got the dust blown off it! Hahaaaa....

Hi Greg. Hi Tim. Hi Brandon. Hi........................

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #2201 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I too have been on a speaker quest. I got a pair of Aerial 7t's. They are driven by a Mcintosh MC252 fed by a Marantz AV 8801. I recently took the hi Rez plunge, downloaded the latest offering from David Crosby. I use the DAC in my Oppo 105. I literally can't stop sitting around listening to this masterpiece. The combo of the recording and equipment is by far the best musical experience I've had in my room to date.speaker quest done for this guy:)

Sounds like an amazing system, enjoy!

->>>≈<<<-

post #2202 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Well, look whose thread got the dust blown off it! Hahaaaa....

Hi Greg. Hi Tim. Hi Brandon. Hi........................

and hello to you RJ

->>>≈<<<-

post #2203 of 2204 Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post

Hi Funk, I've been building my system slowly over the past 6 years, and finally ordered up a pair of surrounds, which will complete my PBN Montana set. I am looking forward to it, and I'm sure it will add another dimension to the movie experience. Enjoys yours as well!
Later,
B

It is pretty cool, and I am glad I went the extra mile to get something quality for surrounds. Only took me 4(?) years to get them!

->>>≈<<<-

post #2204 of 2204 Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
That's ok....it took me 6 years! wink.gif
funkmonkey likes this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page