Yet another "help me decide" thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a 5.1 system, and I am thinking of going with an internet company for the purchase. My room is 17x23 and it will not be a dedicated home theater, but more of an office/tv room. My budget for just speakers and a sub is about 1000-1300ish. I have been looking at the:

1. elemental designs w/ a3-300http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php

2. aperion 532 harmony http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...,24,14,36.aspx

3. The Hsu enthusiast 2 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast2.html

4. and finally the SVS package with the PB12 http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

This will mostly be used for home theater and gaming on a ps3 and an xbox 360. My house is being built right now, and I have about 60-70 days until completion. I would like to have the system in my hands to be hooked up at that time.

I have also thought about in wall/in ceiling speakers, and would like to go that route, but I have heard that the sound just isn't quite the same. Am I right in that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Yes you are right in wall or ceiling speakers are not up to the sound broadcast of on wall speakers. I have an Aperion system and I love it.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have read really great things about the Aperion systems. One thing I have not read about are their subs. Is the sub in the 532 set close to the same as the Hsu, SVS, and ED sets?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 AM

get the aperion speakers with the SVS sub.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

Yes you are right in wall speakers are not up to the sound broadcast of on wall speakers.

And, you know this for a fact because? I would think that TRIAD or SONNANCE might take issue with that kind of statement. In fact, I KNOW they would.

John W.
Indy
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

And, you know this for a fact because? I would think that TRIAD or SONNANCE might take issue with that kind of statement. In fact, I KNOW they would.

In the words of the famous pioneer Pasqinale "I am unafraid"
post #7 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes do not thing you have to match the speakers/subs. Do not think you have to do that because you don't. Out of the speakers systems you listed i would definetly choose the aperion speakers. This is what sub i would choose in order by preference:
1) eD
2) SVS
3) HSU

You should also give Ascend Acoustics a look for your speakers.

Ncage
post #8 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage View Post

Yes do not thing you have to match the speakers/subs. Do not think you have to do that because you don't. Out of the speakers systems you listed i would definetly choose the aperion speakers. This is what sub i would choose in order by preference:
1) eD
2) SVS
3) HSU

You should also give Ascend Acoustics a look for your speakers.

Ncage

I will definitely give Ascend a look as well. Thank you for the suggestion. I don't know why I was thinking I needed to get the sub to match the other speakers. I was just going after each company's package, doh.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Just a heads up, Aperion is pretty much replacing their whole line beginning in like mid-march. Right now the 533 Towers in black are no longer being sold b/c they are out of stock. I believe they will be changing all the speakers with better tweeters and etc which will increase the price a little bit. Somebody in the "official" Aperion thread has a good breakdown of cost for a few their speakers.

I'm not sure if this change will happen all at once, but I believe its going to happen pretty quickly.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up Night. I'll check the Aperion thread.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresham View Post

I will definitely give Ascend a look as well. Thank you for the suggestion. I don't know why I was thinking I needed to get the sub to match the other speakers. I was just going after each company's package, doh.

Your actions where not any different than any of us when we first started looking. I can tell you research because you chose some very good brands. So your definitly on a good start. There are some advantages of going with the packages like you were....sometimes you can get price break. If it were me though i would definitly go for the performance advantage. Good luck and if you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask.

I will tell you what i went with but its going beyond the price range your looking at. I went with Ascend Acoustics for my speakers. I have 340 SE for Center,Right, & Left. I went with 170 SE for the surrounds (5:1 setup). I currently have a Mirage S12 as my sub but i ordered an AV123 MFW-15 about 3 weeks ago that it looks like i'm going to have to wait until late april for. I also have an Onkyo THX Receiver. I am 100% happy with my system. I just can't wait for my new sub.

Ncage
post #12 of 12 Old 02-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I have the elemental designs speakers and sub and couldn't recommend them enough. I have not heard the others, but I'm more than happy with my purchase. For $1550 shipped I got:
6T6 Tower Pair
6T6 MTM center and L/R surrounds
5TC L/R rears
A5-350 w/LT550 (worth the upgrade and wait)

I know the others brands recommended great reputations. Just adding my opinion on the eD stuff. Good luck.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page