Sony's New Lineup! (DG520, DG720, DG820, DG920) W/Pics! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard the first week of May if not May 1st.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Wow!!! Just... Wow!!!!!

I did the auto calibration, hooked up my PS3, threw in the Superman Returns Blu-Ray disc and I've never heard my system sound so good.
My last receiver didn't have auto calibration, it seems to have made a major difference.
On my last Sony Receiver I'd have to constantly mess with the volume control during movies to hear the dialog during the quiet scenes and turn it down a bit during the loud actions ones. It seems like I won't have to do that anymore.

Also, just to make sure I'm getting this right. Currently when listening to a Dolby Digital 5.1 track and my PS3 is set to PCM it only outputs to two channels. (According to the speaker icons on the receiver.) If I set it to bitstream it did 5.1 with no problems. As I understand it, when the update hits on Monday, everything will work through PCM.
Is that right, or is there a setting I'm missing on the receiver right now to get it to output to all 5 speakers through the PCM?
post #273 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJimBinks View Post

Wow!!! Just... Wow!!!!!

I did the auto calibration, hooked up my PS3, threw in the Superman Returns Blu-Ray disc and I've never heard my system sound so good.
My last receiver didn't have auto calibration, it seems to have made a major difference.
On my last Sony Receiver I'd have to constantly mess with the volume control during movies to hear the dialog during the quiet scenes and turn it down a bit during the loud actions ones. It seems like I won't have to do that anymore.

Also, just to make sure I'm getting this right. Currently when listening to a Dolby Digital 5.1 track and my PS3 is set to PCM it only outputs to two channels. (According to the speaker icons on the receiver.) If I set it to bitstream it did 5.1 with no problems. As I understand it, when the update hits on Monday, everything will work through PCM.
Is that right, or is there a setting I'm missing on the receiver right now to get it to output to all 5 speakers through the PCM?

which of the receivers did you get?
post #274 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewyr25 View Post

whats the release date for the 820???

May 28th

All your base are belong to us
post #275 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Wow!!! Just... Wow!!!!!

I'm not sure what your setup is but isn't the 720 suppose to do multiple channel PCM meaning 5.1 and greater. If you got the 520 then you can do 2 channels on PCM.

All your base are belong to us
post #276 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post

which of the receivers did you get?

The 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhunter2002 View Post

I'm not sure what your setup is but isn't the 720 suppose to do multiple channel PCM meaning 5.1 and greater. If you got the 520 then you can do 2 channels on PCM.

Yeah, from what I understood the 720 is supposd to d0 5.1 and greater PCM. However the icons that are lit up when I have my PS3 set up to do PCM are only the Left and Right Channels.
According to a friend of mine, when going through PCM that's all I'm supposed to see lit up. Is this true, or no? Do I have something set up wrong?
post #277 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
verify that you are sending pcm at the ps3, and you might need to hit the a.f.d. (auto find digital) button on the 720.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #278 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

also, for anyone else that is running a ps3 through this, please post if you have any weird color issues. I've noticed that sometimes when it syncs to a new resolution, the colors get all messed up (skin tones turn blue, dashboard completely changes color... things like that). A restart fixes it, but it's happened a couple times and is a bit annoying. I swapped hdmi cables tonight so we'll see if that was the issue.

post #279 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM

The PS3 is set to PCM. According to the manual AFD is Auto Format Direct. It made for listening to a 2 channel stereo sound as a multi channel sound. I have it set to Auto at the moment. Something definitely isn't right, not quite sure what it is yet though.
post #280 of 2224 Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

AFD auto is what you want. Are you sure you selected the pcm or truehd track in the blu ray menu?

post #281 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 03:06 AM

I have a quick question about this.

I have a few Component cable hookups (PS2, Wii) that run at 480p.

If I hook these up to the component cable inputs of the 720, and just have a single HDMI out to my TV from the receiver, will it display on the TV as a 480p signal? I know there are some receivers where you have to match input to output and I was a little concerned about this here.

Thanks for the help

Coras
post #282 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

AFD auto is what you want. Are you sure you selected the pcm or truehd track in the blu ray menu?

I'm currently playing Pirates of the Caribbean 3. I have it set to the Uncompressed 5.1 sound.
The PS3 is set to PCM, and the 720 is set to A.F.D. auto.
Still, when watching it, the only speaker lights that are on are Left, Right, and Subwoofer. I don't hear any sound coming from the back speakers. Also, Dialog comes out of all 3 front speakers when people are talking in the scene I'm using to test. I've watched the same scene with the Dolby Digital 5.1 track on bitstream, and character dialog comes out of the center speaker only. The Volume control does say PCM so I know it's getting the PCM signal, I just can't figure out how to get the receiver to output it over every channel. Am I missing something? Is this only supposed to happen after the update.

OH! One other thing I forgot to mention. Does the cable matter? I wouldn't think so but I guess it's worth asking. Currently I have the HDMI cable that came with my XBOX 360 plugged in from the PS3 to the Receiver. From the Receiver to the TV I have an older HDMI cable from monoprice "HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 10ft w/Ferrite Cores" Right now I have two HDMI cables on their way from Monoprice that are supposedly certified as HDMI 1.3a cables. "HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors)"
Edit again: Looking at another thread it looks like the cables wouldn't matter. I'm at a loss at this point. If I switch it from AFD Auto to PLII Movie it comes out of every speaker but that isn't right, is it? It'll do the same thing when I plug in a two channel source.
post #283 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Is it possible the PS3 is set to down-mix PCM? Not having a PS3 I don't know if that's even an option. Just a thought. I would hate to think the 720 is limited to 2ch.PCM like the 710 was. I'm still getting over that myself.
post #284 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

jim, that sounds weird. have you been able to get 5.1 out of any source yet? cable box or regular dvd? the steps you've listed sound right so i'm not sure why you aren't getting surrounds. maybe verify speaker connections and run the test tones if you arent' getting 5.1 from anything to verify the speakers are hooked up correctly. just to clarify, you are selecting the pcm track from the disc menu as well right (and not just in the ps3 dash)? some discs may not default to it, so make sure you've pressed the square button and verified the pcm or truehd track while actually playing the movie.

post #285 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post

Is it possible the PS3 is set to down-mix PCM? Not having a PS3 I don't know if that's even an option. Just a thought. I would hate to think the 720 is limited to 2ch.PCM like the 710 was. I'm still getting over that myself.

it's definitely not, i'm getting 5.1 pcm.

post #286 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:

jim, that sounds weird. have you been able to get 5.1 out of any source yet? cable box or regular dvd? the steps you've listed sound right so i'm not sure why you aren't getting surrounds. maybe verify speaker connections and run the test tones if you arent' getting 5.1 from anything to verify the speakers are hooked up correctly. just to clarify, you are selecting the pcm track from the disc menu as well right (and not just in the ps3 dash)? some discs may not default to it, so make sure you've pressed the square button and verified the pcm or truehd track while actually playing the movie.

I'm definitely selecting the Uncompressed track off the disc menu.

When Using Bitstream, and selecting the Dolby Digital 5.1 track it sounds GREAT and I get sound out of every speaker.

I just spoke to Sony Support, they told me to switch AFD to PLII Movie.
I do get sound this way, but it really sounds like it's taking two channels and simulating surround sound. When viewing the movie this way (PCM, with the Disc outputting Uncompressed 5.1, and the receiver on PLII Movie) dialog that is limited to only the center speaker on the Dolby Digital track plays through the front, left, and right speakers.

chad473, you have AFD set to auto, right? Are all 5 speaker icons lit up for you when playing through PCM on the PS3? Maybe I got a defective unit? Could that be? I did the auto calibration before I had my PS3 hooked up. Could that be the problem? (I'm totally grasping at straws here. lol.)

The big thing Sony is telling me that doesn't sound right to me is having to switch AFD to PL II Movie.
post #287 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure how familiar u are with the PS3 - cause I am not - but maybe ask the PS3 board if they think your setup is correct.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #288 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

afd auto, yes. I did the auto cal too, so don't worry about that. all 5 speakers are lit on the receiver and it scrolls pcm 48 (or 96) when the selection starts. it sounds like you are doing everything right, so it must be some tiny overlooked setting or something.

I don't know if this might help, but go in the 720 menu and double check in 5-audio that decode priority is set to dec. auto. also make sure in 3-sur that s.f. select is set to afd auto.

I'd be scratching my head at this point too. The fact that dolby 5.1 works for you rules out any speaker wiring issues, it has to be some setting somewhere. They didn't give you a 710 by accident did they?

I can't find anything about a factory reset in the manual, but page 56 gives instructions for resetting the sound fields to initial settings. Might be worth trying that, redoing connections while making sure afd is set correctly, and see if that helps?

oh, and i'd say go in the ps3 dash and redo the audio output settings. when it finishes, verify to me that hdmi is selected and there's a long list of output formats and linear pcm all the way up to 7.1 192kHz is shown.

post #289 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:

afd auto, yes. I did the auto cal too, so don't worry about that. all 5 speakers are lit on the receiver and it scrolls pcm 48 (or 96) when the selection starts. it sounds like you are doing everything right, so it must be some tiny overlooked setting or something.

I don't know if this might help, but go in the 720 menu and double check in 5-audio that decode priority is set to dec. auto. also make sure in 3-sur that s.f. select is set to afd auto.

I'd be scratching my head at this point too. The fact that dolby 5.1 works for you rules out any speaker wiring issues, it has to be some setting somewhere. They didn't give you a 710 by accident did they?

I can't find anything about a factory reset in the manual, but page 56 gives instructions for resetting the sound fields to initial settings. Might be worth trying that, redoing connections while making sure afd is set correctly, and see if that helps?

oh, and i'd say go in the ps3 dash and redo the audio output settings. when it finishes, verify to me that hdmi is selected and there's a long list of output formats and linear pcm all the way up to 7.1 192kHz is shown.

Chad, thanks for the help.

In the PS3 I reset the settings back to factory defaults, went through the setup again, and it seems to work.
Funny enough, now when I press the A.F.D. button on the remote and a movie is playing, it says "Feature not Available" but when I go through the menu it's set to auto. But all the speaker lights are lit up, and everything works perfectly now.

Heh, can't believe the Sony support person was telling me that PL II Movie was how it was supposed to be set up.
post #290 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Does anyone know if the DG720 will pass through all video signals as is? I'd like to run 1080p/48 out of my video processor to the 720 and have it pass it on untouched. Is this possible?

Andy
post #291 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Wow!!! Just... Wow!!!!!

I had a similar issue. Make sure you do not have the "Audio for HDMI" setting (in the 6-VIDEO menu) set to TV+AMP. It needs to be set to only AMP, since the TV only supports pcm 2.0 the receiver outputs to that lowest common denominator. It took me a while to figure that one out.
post #292 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad, thanks for the help.

In the PS3 I reset the settings back to factory defaults, went through the setup again, and it seems to work.
Funny enough, now when I press the A.F.D. button on the remote and a movie is playing, it says "Feature not Available" but when I go through the menu it's set to auto. But all the speaker lights are lit up, and everything works perfectly now.

Heh, can't believe the Sony support person was telling me that PL II Movie was how it was supposed to be set up.

excellent..enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

Does anyone know if the DG720 will pass through all video signals as is? I'd like to run 1080p/48 out of my video processor to the 720 and have it pass it on untouched. Is this possible?

Andy

I don't see anything in the manual about it. It will do 1080/24 for sure.

post #293 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks for that "Audio for HDMI" info Jewduh. I got the correct outputs by manually setting the PS3's audio, but was disappointed that Auto settings only detected 2 channel PCM. Now it detects all the PCM settings to 7.1.
post #294 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Liked: 12
I'm sure this has been asked but can someone save me some time looking.

I'm wondering about how these models handle component input to HDMI out. Specifically I'm wondering about my xbox 360 which I have passing 1080p through component to my TV set.

How about the component outs as well? Are they simply pass through? Meaning could I have a 1080p component source --> receiver --> 1080p component out to TV? My TV accepts 1080p over component so this could be an option, requiring me to run another out to my TV. Not as nice though.

To this point I've been looking at the onkyo 705. The one thing I dislike is that component to HDMI will only handle 720p. So it would take 1080p component-->720p HDMI-->1080p TV set. I'd have to output at 720p to avoid the double processing. The way around this for me would be to run a component out to the TV (my TV takes 1080p over component). The 805 would handle it the same way. I'd have to step up a lot in money to get around this.

Sorry, I just can't find the details on this for the Sony units.
post #295 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Would anyone know if these AVR's pass through video and audio when its off? I have some instances when we may want to watch just "TV".

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #296 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried my ps3 with the receiver off and it's not passing anything, so I'd wager the answer is no.

post #297 of 2224 Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Just picked up a 720 at Circuit City. So far loving PCM audio, but I have a question.

I have a dish box that only has s-video and composite video (still waiting on hd dvr here). Does the 720 have the ability to take a composite analog video signal and transmit it over hdmi? So far no luck.
post #298 of 2224 Old 04-13-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUJeremyZ28 View Post

Just picked up a 720 at Circuit City. So far loving PCM audio, but I have a question.

I have a dish box that only has s-video and composite video (still waiting on hd dvr here). Does the 720 have the ability to take a composite analog video signal and transmit it over hdmi? So far no luck.

You have the 720 now, you can try it yourself. Reporting back to this thread will help others. Thanks.
post #299 of 2224 Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I just tried my ps3 with the receiver off and it's not passing anything, so I'd wager the answer is no.

Thanks chad for trying. Does anyone know if this is typical for todays AVR's? What do people do if they don't want the home theater on but just want to watch ..say the news? Run HDMI to AVR and Component to TV from DVR?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #300 of 2224 Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Thanks chad for trying. Does anyone know if this is typical for todays AVR's? What do people do if they don't want the home theater on but just want to watch ..say the news? Run HDMI to AVR and Component to TV from DVR?

Yes that is exactly what i do. To watch a simple program i listen to sound from just the TV speakers which are hooked up to the DVR with "composite cables"...(all your looking for is l/h and r/h sound to the TV stero speakers). Then if you want to listen to a game or something like that....you turn on the receiver which in my case is hooked up via optical cable to the DVR and then you can ROCK out.
Very simple.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page