Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweb View Post

For those who care about of this issue, here is a comparison of measured power output for various A/V receivers that I put together.

How did you get those measurements. If the 910 can only put out 30W per channel with 5 channels driven at clipping, this doesn't bode well for the x20 series. I hope Sony beefed up the power for this latest gen of receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

It seems clear that the 720 doesn't transcode to HDMI and that the 920 will transcode to HDMI and upscale too. My question (rhetorical) is: will the 820 transcode to HDMI but not upscale? That IMO coupled with 4 HDMI inputs and TrueHD/DTS-MA decoders puts it squarely in the sweet spot of the STR-DGx20 line.

The 920 upscales all sources via HDMI to the tv while the 720 does NOT handle any sources but HDMI inputs via HDMI to the tv

Edit: Let me also say this unit (720 - 7.1 105w per), while rated LOWER than my last sony receiver (HT DDW900 - 5.1 140w per), is about twice as loud. I used to watch tv with my ddw900 at about 40-50 and movies ~60. On the 720, I watch tv between 15-25 and movies no higher than 40. It is that much louder.
post #363 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Ataxic: overall are you happy with the 720?

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #364 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Oh yes, very much. The only disappointment I have is my own fault. I didn't realize the 720 couldn't matrix the lossless codecs via lpcm from 5.1 to 7.1. I probably would have sprung for the 820 if it was out at the same time. But I am glad I bought the 720 (for $240 no less).
post #365 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataxic_dentist View Post

Yes, the 820 will take all sources via HDMI to the tv without upscaling.

Thanks for the answer. How do you know this? Link?
post #366 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Thanks for the answer. How do you know this? Link?

Looking back, I actually misread something from one of the links on the first page. I don't know if the 820 does or not, sorry
post #367 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking back, I actually misread something from one of the links on the first page. I don't know if the 820 does or not, sorry

That's OK. That's the reason that my original question was rhetorical. I have this vague recollection of reading that the 820 will transcode but I can't remember where I actually read it or if it's just wishful thinking. Guess we'll have to wait to the manual shows up.
post #368 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
look for analog to digital conversion for video.
post #369 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM

unless the 920 is a major step up from the 910 I would avoid it. I just tried a 910 and the onkyo 705 side by side in home for a month. I wanted more than 2 hdmi so the 605 was closer in price but didn't have what I wanted.

unless they have fixed independant level ajustments per input, LFE ajustments, per input, etc the reciever kind of suffers.

having hd dvd, satilite, blu-ray all connected and not being able to balance input level or LFE between sorces at all is a real draw back to the sony. so much that I just coul not live with it.

maybe they have fixed this issue on the 920 but I would deffinatly buy from somewhere that is easy to return.
post #370 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 PM

I got my vip622 HD DVR box the other day and have it hooked up via HDMI as well as my PS3. So far I am loving it! I have no complaints.
post #371 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the__rob View Post

unless they have fixed independant level ajustments per input, LFE ajustments, per input, etc the reciever kind of suffers.

having hd dvd, satilite, blu-ray all connected and not being able to balance input level or LFE between sorces at all is a real draw back to the sony. so much that I just coul not live with it.

Wow: you hit this on the mark. I've been trying to get this answered on the x10 thread for ages. Esp. crossover adjustments for the underpowered LFE.
So it's just not me that find that these Sonys are made for the less complicated enthusiasts.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #372 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:

The 920 upscales all sources via HDMI to the tv while the 720 does NOT handle any sources but HDMI inputs via HDMI to the tv

That's messed up if the 720 doesn't transcode yet has the misleading statement:

"Each of the new models simplify home theater operation by serving as a central hub for audio and HD video home theater components, converging all sources to one HDMI output from the receiver to the display."
post #373 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

overall are you happy with the 720?

Here's what I wrote in the 720 thread for those that want to know...

The PS3 is sending DTS-MA to it as well. You can't do any post-processing on it as it's coming in as multichannel PCM, but it works great. There is a problem with some 7.1 DTS-MA/HR tracks. The 5.1 DTS-MA tracks get a matrixed surround in the other two surround channels. I've been impressed by this little receiver sonically (especially for the price), but there are some annoying things...

1) Auto-calibration does everything but LFE. Dumb. Time to break out the SPL meter and do it manually (which I like anyway, but for others that might suck).

2) Lack of binding posts for all channels. Why they put them on A/B, L/R speakers only is beyond me. They give you push terminals for the rest, which aren't big enough to take a 12 gauge wire. Pins are the way to go here.

3) The binding posts are super weak for the L/R channels. Meaning, you push a banana clip in there and you can literally see the binding post push into the unit. Not sweet.

4) Turn this thing on and you can hear a hum from the receiver. I've been spoiled by separates for years now, and maybe this is the norm for the receivers these days?

5) No on screen display. Nope. Nada. Zilch. Guess at this price point I can see why.

6) No reference level indicator. Again, my pre-pro spoiled me as I knew 0 was reference. If you auto-cal, you have no clue as to what volume the calibration is at. I can tell you it's not as high as the volume goes! This could be taken care of if you use an SPL meter and do it manually, but I feel most that will buy this unit (again, nice price point to get into HR multichannel audio), will just use the auto-cal and be done with it.

7) If you do go into the menu and set up the levels by yourself, you'll find it a bit tricky to manually change the levels at first. The manual sucks.

8) Speaking of the sucky manual, okay, this is probably just me here, but the diagram to set up the surround and back speakers just doesn't look right. They use two different perspectives on it. They could have easily mapped it out so that you can pick how your surrounds are laid out in the room and pick accordingly. Then, ask the question of if they are low or high. Silly, but when you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Now that I have those out of the way, video looks great being passed through the receiver to my projector. No issues there. Audio works as planned too. If you are wanting to get into the new hi-resolution audio on the cheap, this is the way to do it. I got $150 bucks back from Best Buy for the HD-DVD refund and had some Rewards Zone tickets to burn. I walked out of there with this for $40. A perfect price and stop gap until the stuff I want comes out later this year.

So, if you need something to hold you over until what you want comes out down the road, this is the perfect ticket.
post #374 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

I have the 720 and this is my first time with surround sound. I did the auto calibration but I feel like I want to manualy crank up the rear surrounds. Should I do it or leave it as auto calibrated.
post #375 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

I have the 720 and this is my first time with surround sound. I did the auto calibration but I feel like I want to manualy crank up the rear surrounds. Should I do it or leave it as auto calibrated.

You're the one listening to it Experiment with a couple of movies with active surround effects and stick with w/e combination suits your ears
post #376 of 2224 Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
what do you mean can't add post processing?? you mean if its receiving lpcm I can't use the DSP audio settings??
post #377 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

what do you mean can't add post processing?? you mean if its receiving lpcm I can't use the DSP audio settings??

That is correct. You can't do squat to that LPCM signal.

I will say that if it's a 5.1 mix, the back surrounds still engage (7.1 setup of course!). But what's strange is that the lights on the receiver don't show they are active, but if you get close to the speaker, you can hear that it's on.

If you are getting a 5.1 bitstream (say from Xbox 360), you can use the DSP audio settings.

Also, the manual says, 'Selecting a Pre-Programmed sound field - This function does not work when: the multi channel Linear PCM signals are received via an HDMI IN jack."
post #378 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

some dumb questions about 720 from audio newbie

How can I tell I am egtting the best sound? does PCM 48 mean I am getting the best?

Spider man 3 has TrueHD and PCM. How do I know I am gettin the best sound?

I understand DTS u might only get the "core" how wold I know if I am getting just the core with the 720?

Descent has 6.1 and 3:10 to Yumma has 7.1. I only 5.1 speakers with the 720
What happens then?
Should the dispaly always read PCM 48?
post #379 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

some dumb questions about 720 from audio newbie

How can I tell I am egtting the best sound? does PCM 48 mean I am getting the best?

Spider man 3 has TrueHD and PCM. How do I know I am gettin the best sound?

I understand DTS u might only get the "core" how wold I know if I am getting just the core with the 720?

Descent has 6.1 and 3:10 to Yumma has 7.1. I only 5.1 speakers with the 720
What happens then?
Should the dispaly always read PCM 48?

What player are you using?

PCM 48 seems to be the standard. You are receiving uncompressed audio correctly from what you are telling me now.

The TrueHD and PCM tracks on Spider-Man 3 should be identical, especially if a PS3 is your source (since there isn't bitstreaming). Best way is to check your player (if a PS3 the back button) and it will display the audio it's sending, the bitrate, etc.

3:10 to Yuma shows up as 7.1 on my receiver via the PS3. It's at PCM 48. You can't put any post-processing on the LPCM tracks, so what's coming through the HDMI pipe is what your receiver is outputting (assuming you have your player set up right).

Let us know what player you are using.
post #380 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using PS3. So 3:10 is going to do what with the 2 back channels I don't have with my 5.1 speakers? Not send them anywhere or mix them with my back surrounds? Is this where the 820 would have been better? How do u get the PS3 to show what audio it is outputing? The orange circle button?
post #381 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using PS3. So 3:10 is going to do what with the 2 back channels I don't have with my 5.1 speakers? Not send them anywhere or mix them with my back surrounds? Is this where the 820 would have been better? How do u get the PS3 to show what audio it is outputing? The orange circle button?

If you are using your controller, press the "SELECT" button. Information will be displayed on screen. I would imagine that you would need to go into your audio options on the PS3 and make sure you have only selected items your system can handle. Since the 720 can handle 7.1 PCM, it will auto-detect that in the setup. On your 720, since you don't have the back channels, the back channels would be mixed into the side (or back, however you have them set up in your room) channels.
post #382 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Just picked up the DG-720 receiver. Very happy with it so far. I bought it mainly for the ability to handle the new DTS -MA for the PS3. I am however confused about the receivers ability to produce sound threw the subwoofer, center, and back speakers while watching some tv channels. Watching the Redsox game last night, I was only able to get sound from the front speakers.....even though its an HD channel.

I am running a coax cable from my comcast box to the DG-720, and have hit the A.F.D button to try and produce sound from the other speakers and amp....still a no go.

What am i doing wrong?

PSN: OsamaBinBoulay
post #383 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetcoffee View Post

Just picked up the DG-720 receiver. Very happy with it so far. I bought it mainly for the ability to handle the new DTS -MA for the PS3. I am however confused about the receivers ability to produce sound threw the subwoofer, center, and back speakers while watching some tv channels. Watching the Redsox game last night, I was only able to get sound from the front speakers.....even though its an HD channel.

I am running a coax cable from my comcast box to the DG-720, and have hit the A.F.D button to try and produce sound from the other speakers and amp....still a no go.

What am i doing wrong?

Did you go through the menu and make sure Subwoofer is set to "Yes" and the back channels are set correctly through the same menu? I will give it to you that the lack of OSD and the skimpy front display (plus the cryptic menus) make it a bit rough just jumping into it. I found also that for some reason, running the auto-cal, they figured I should run the speakers large instead of small (I have smaller sized speakers). I set that back to small and set it all up on my own.

A.F.D. should kick in just fine once everything is set up. Also, have you set up the receiver to auto detect the signal? That might help too.

Hope that helps!

One other thing, is your source (DirecTV, Cable, Fios, Dish, etc) connected via HDMI? If so, there is a setting to either allow passthrough to the TV or to the Amp. Make sure Amp is selected. If all else fails, in the front of the manual it tells you how to do a complete reset of the unit and you can start from scratch.
post #384 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

Did you go through the menu and make sure Subwoofer is set to "Yes" and the back channels are set correctly through the same menu? I will give it to you that the lack of OSD and the skimpy front display (plus the cryptic menus) make it a bit rough just jumping into it. I found also that for some reason, running the auto-cal, they figured I should run the speakers large instead of small (I have smaller sized speakers). I set that back to small and set it all up on my own.

A.F.D. should kick in just fine once everything is set up. Also, have you set up the receiver to auto detect the signal? That might help too.

Hope that helps!

One other thing, is your source (DirecTV, Cable, Fios, Dish, etc) connected via HDMI? If so, there is a setting to either allow passthrough to the TV or to the Amp. Make sure Amp is selected. If all else fails, in the front of the manual it tells you how to do a complete reset of the unit and you can start from scratch.

Thanks for the help.....I will try changing all my speakers to small. I am watching the Bruins vs Habs game on NESN right now and had to run the red/white combo from cable box too receiver and am getting full surround sound with sub working....but have to crank the volume up. The thing is, just about every other channel works with the coax.

post #385 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Also, just because it is an HD channel/show does not mean it is dd 5.1. There are many shows (including some sports) that are broadcast in 2.0 In these cases, you have to apply DD Pro Logic II. When you went through the AFD modes, did you try the pro logic effects?
post #386 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Changed my speakers from large to small and everything is working fine.

I take that back. Changing my speakers to small did get my sub working but that is it

post #387 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetcoffee View Post

Changed my speakers from large to small and everything is working fine.

I take that back. Changing my speakers to small did get my sub working but that is it

Good on part one. Let's see, on part two...if your previous post is right, you're still not able to apply any processing to the signal (like Pro Logic IIx), right?

And you have as many "boxes" on the left front of the receiver as you do speakers, right? Are they lit up? If you're still having to crank it, have yo checked your wiring on the speakers/receiver? I'm just trying to figure this out here.
post #388 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TrueHD and PCM tracks on Spider-Man 3 should be identical, especially if a PS3 is your source (since there isn't bitstreaming). Best way is to check your player (if a PS3 the back button) and it will display the audio it's sending, the bitrate, etc.

just to clarify, the true hd track on spiderman3 is 24/48, whereas the pcm is 16/48. Theoretically the true hd may sound better. I haven't given it a test yet though.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #389 of 2224 Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

just to clarify, the true hd track on spiderman3 is 24/48, whereas the pcm is 16/48. Theoretically the true hd may sound better. I haven't given it a test yet though.

Very nice! I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to give that one a whirl to see if there are any differences.
post #390 of 2224 Old 04-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Good on part one. Let's see, on part two...if your previous post is right, you're still not able to apply any processing to the signal (like Pro Logic IIx), right?

And you have as many "boxes" on the left front of the receiver as you do speakers, right? Are they lit up? If you're still having to crank it, have yo checked your wiring on the speakers/receiver? I'm just trying to figure this out here.

All boxes are showing....it even shows dolby digital 3/21 when I switch to that channel NESN 851 on my cable box (Mass)

I have now tried everything. The thing that bugs me the most is I just replaced an old sony receiver with the 720 and loving it other than this one problem. Looks like I will have to run the red/white and just crank up the volume until I get a fix

Thanks for your help though. You at least got my sub working.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page