AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmiggy View Post

Samsurd,

Unfortunately, I did misread it, or read it too fast and thought it was still talking about the 820.

I second that request that a new 820 owner will find out for sure and post the results here.

Miggy, the Thief

It's all good. I only picked up on it because did the same thing when I first read that CNET review. I thought "Cool. The 820 will transcode and the 920 will transcode and upscale. Makes perfect sense." Then I re-read it and thought "Damn".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2224 Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm in the market for a new receiver and am considering the new receivers coming out this month and next from Sony. I currently have a Sony 60" KDS-60A3000 RPTV and will be using a Sony PS3 for my Blu Ray viewing. What I'm confused about is if I need the upconverting that the Sony 920 provides. Does my TV do any upconverting? Is this something I will be glad I got or something I will never need? I currently have Comcast HD/DVR and love the HD quality I'm already getting. If I plug everything into this new Sony 920 will I notice a difference in my picture quality from the Sony 820? I don't mind paying the extra $200 and waiting.. if it will be worth it for my setup. If not, I'll be happy to buy the Sony 820. I will be connecting the Comcast Motorola HD/DVR box via HDMI, the Sony PS3 (80GB) via HDMI, a Nintendo Wii via component and perhaps a Sony 5-DVD changer via HDMI.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing some feedback on this!

Thanks guys!

Dave
post #543 of 2224 Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1 View Post

Interested in getting the 920. Have a PS3 and Satellite box that both use HDMI. However my TV is an old Sony WEGA TV which only has a DVI input. According to the 920 manual there may be issues using a HDMI-DVI conversion cable. I see that some people experienced problems with the 910 last year. Does this problem exists with this year's receivers?

Yes, the DGx20 series is affected by the DVI issue. The AVR will not play sound if the connected TV is not HDMI capable. It makes no sense to me but that is the choice that Sony has made.
post #544 of 2224 Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post

Yes, the DGx20 series are affected by the DVI issue. The AVR will not play sound if the connected TV is not HDMI capable. It makes no sense to me but that is the choice that Sony has made.

After reading the manual, I found some other "nuggets" tucked away here and there that anyone considering this receiver should know:

Super Audio CD output only to Multi Channel Input or SA-CD/CD Input; Not Over HDMI (WOW! that's a big one, Sony (co-developer of the SA-CD format) will not allow this receiver to accept DSD over HDMI from my Oppo DVD player that can output it (oh well, I'll have to set the SA-CD from the Oppo to PCM instead).

HDMI

Digital audio to speakers: Dolby, DTS & Linear PCM
8 channel multi Linear PCM of 192 kHz or less
Audio signals are not output when the image is converted
Audio and Video is not output while the menu is displayed
DSD signals of Super Audio CD are not input or output
HDMI output converted up to 1080p
Component Video Monitor Out doesn’t work while HDMI Out in use

I like the component renaming. It's a little thing, but something I really like.

Here is my current setup plan now that I've read the manual:
LL
post #545 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Audio and Video is not output while the menu is displayed

Interesting, I did not know these two things. Thank you for listing them.

Not that I really care about the first one because I'll never use the sound output from my TV, but that's surprising that it doesn't output sound if it's upconverting.

Also I was under the impression from reading 5300ES threads that only the video cuts out when you go into the menu, not the audio also. Once again, really not that big of deal considering I would most likely pause whatever I'm watching before entering the menu.

Despite everything, I'm still really excited to get this receiver. Hurry up and get here 28th.
post #546 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I wonder if that means even when converting 720p HDMI (In) -> 1080P HDMI (Out)?

Anyone have more experience with upscaling AVR's that has seen this behavior before?
post #547 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 AM

Is there anyone successfully using a DGx20 series receiver with a DVI-in TV (so, HDMI-DVI cable from Receiver to TV)?

I have an older Samsung DLP with only DVI-in, and a 920 preordered. Would like it to work, but if it's certain not to, I need to cancel
post #548 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccihon View Post

Is there anyone successfully using a DGx20 series receiver with a DVI-in TV (so, HDMI-DVI cable from Receiver to TV)?

I have an older Samsung DLP with only DVI-in, and a 920 preordered. Would like it to work, but if it's certain not to, I need to cancel

I'm sorry, but, I think it's pretty certain not to work. There have been reports of failures in this forum. Also, I have 1st hand knowledge of the failure. My friend tried to connect his DG720 via HDMI-DVI to a Sony Grand Wega TV. No good.

He spoke with Sony who confirmed that the DG series is meant to work only with HDMI inputs. I think it has something to do with their ability to control other devices on the HDMI link.

It's a serious design flaw if you ask me but Sony insists it's meant to be that way.
post #549 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

So, I have a question about upconversion, which seems to be the added feature of the 920?

If my BDS1 is doing UC, and passing that via HDMI to the TV (which would now pass THROUGH the 820/920, is there MORE upconversion going on, or would it just pass the upconverted signal straight through?
post #550 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can I use a device that I have a DVI to HDMI cable for INTO the 920 and have it work?
post #551 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Can I use a device that I have a DVI to HDMI cable for INTO the 920 and have it work?

That should work fine. I had a PC connected to my DG720 via DVI->HDMI cable. I had no issues. Since there is no audio to be blocked on that connection, there should be no problem.
post #552 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Alas, the old "not a bug, but a feature" response!

Thanks for the reply.
post #553 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post

So, I have a question about upconversion, which seems to be the added feature of the 920?

If my BDS1 is doing UC, and passing that via HDMI to the TV (which would now pass THROUGH the 820/920, is there MORE upconversion going on, or would it just pass the upconverted signal straight through?

It will do what you want it to do...it being the 920 because the 820 doesn't upconvert, just straight passthrough.

If you are feeding it an upconverted 1080p signal then it obviously won't upconvert because it's already as high a resolution as possible and will just pass it through.

If you feed it a lower resolution (480i/480p/720p/1080i) then it will upconvert it to whatever you set the output to be. If you have a lower resolution source and only want it to do passthrough then you can change the output of the receiver to match what the input is and then it will just pass it through without altering it.

So for example, let's say you have a DVD player that upconverts to 1080i through HDMI, then you have two options when it gets to the receiver: A.) you can have the receiver set up to just passthrough the signal and it will send that 1080i signal to the TV without altering or B.) you can have it upconvert the 1080i to 1080p and send that to the TV.

It really all comes down to personal preference and if you think the AVR upconversion makes the picture look worse or better.

Also one more thing you'll want to keep in mind with the upconversion on the AVR that Wesley Hester pointed out, if you have it do any upconversion whatsoever then it won't pass the audio through to the TV.
post #554 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Liked: 16
Sony!? bwahahaha. there receivers are terrible.i had nothing but trouble with there gear.
post #555 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Sony!? bwahahaha. there receivers are terrible.i had nothing but trouble with there gear.

May be you are an idiot. You dont know how to setup your gear.
post #556 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post

That should work fine. I had a PC connected to my DG720 via DVI->HDMI cable. I had no issues. Since there is no audio to be blocked on that connection, there should be no problem.

In previous Sony receivers, having a DVI input would turn off audio input from HDMI sources. Can you test to see if this occurs?
post #557 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

God Bless America.

He's obviously a moron, he doesn't even know when to use the correct form of their, where and our or spell cinema correctly.

How pathetic.
post #558 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post

Even with the manual in hand, this can get confusing. I believe upconversion for the receiver and in the manual is meant mainly for component and composite inputs.

On page 31 on the 920's manual, there is a 'conversion' table at the bottom. It basically states for HDMI input to HDMI output that, "The same type of signal as that of the input signal is output. Video signals are not converted." This is good for me. Everything is 1080p for me anyway except for the DirecTV receiver's 1080i which my HDTV handles OK.
post #559 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf4726 View Post

I wonder if that means even when converting 720p HDMI (In) -> 1080P HDMI (Out)?

Anyone have more experience with upscaling AVR's that has seen this behavior before?

Sorry for any misinformation on this one, I should have read the statement in the manual more carefully.

On page 25 of the 920's manual, it states "Analog video signals input to the VIDEO jack of COMPONENT VIDEO jacks can be up-converted as HDMI signals. Audio signals are not output from an HDMI OUT jack when the image is converted."

Reading this again, this really isn't a big deal. It sucks for me or anyone trying to split the HDMI signal from the receiver to 2 or more HDTVs. For me, that would mean the Wii and Karaoke player sound would be output only from the receiver to the speakers via their analog inputs (which is really all you need and is the main point anyway) and not through the HDMI cable to HDTV(s). I keep my main HDTV's speakers off anyway. It would of course mean no sound to another HDTV in another room or if someone was planning to use the HDTV's speakers for some reason for example. But I don't plan on playing the Wii or Karaoke in my other room. The chance of me using my monoprice 4x2 matrix switcher is looking slimmer and slimmer.

Furthermore, this means no audio 'issues' using HDMI component inputs.

Looking through the manual, I'm still looking for "720p HDMI (In) -> 1080P HDMI (Out)" for example. Anyone seen it or something similar? Page 33's video input/output conversion table just covers Component Video/Video input signals to outputs: HDMI, Component & Video and settings: Direct, Auto, etc. HDMI input signals are not mentioned.
post #560 of 2224 Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Liked: 16
Ah,thanks for correcting my spelling.
I did typ that at first. but,i told my self no its wrong.lol
post #561 of 2224 Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:

Looking through the manual, I'm still looking for "720p HDMI (In) -> 1080P HDMI (Out)" for example. Anyone seen it or something similar? Page 33's video input/output conversion table just covers Component Video/Video input signals to outputs: HDMI, Component & Video and settings: Direct, Auto, etc. HDMI input signals are not mentioned.

Hi,

On page 77 of the manual it says "This receiver allows you to convert the resolution of analog video signals"

I assume then if a 720p HDMI signal comes in, that's what will come out via the HDMI out.

Hope that helps!
post #562 of 2224 Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellrsx View Post

Hi,

On page 77 of the manual it says "This receiver allows you to convert the resolution of analog video signals"

I assume then if a 720p HDMI signal comes in, that's what will come out via the HDMI out.

Hope that helps!

That's correct. No Sony AVRs scale HDMI inputs to higher resolution HDMI outputs, not even the STR-DA5300ES. HDMI OUT = HDMI IN.
post #563 of 2224 Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

That's correct. No Sony AVRs scale HDMI inputs to higher resolution HDMI outputs, not even the STR-DA5300ES. HDMI OUT = HDMI IN.

That can actually be a good thing. Everything I'm using now looks great. No need for additional processing getting in the way of things. All the components I'm using have resolution settings for their outputs.
post #564 of 2224 Old 05-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Are the dg920's even out yet? I don't see them anywhere for sale.
post #565 of 2224 Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Would the 720 work with a 5.1 speaker setup? What happens to the audio that would have been going to the 2 speakers I am missing?
post #566 of 2224 Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Would the 720 work with a 5.1 speaker setup? What happens to the audio that would have been going to the 2 speakers I am missing?

It will work with 5.1 just fine. Go into the surround menu (3-SUR) and set the surround back decode mode (SB DEC) to off (SB OFF). Another perfect example of RTFM.

As for what would have been going there, if the source is 5.1 to begin with then nothing would have been going there unless you were using PLIIx or similar. If you actually have a 7.1 source (pretty rare AFAIK), someone else will have to answer.
post #567 of 2224 Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Escrotomus,

I think the 920s are supposed to come out some time in June.

On a slightly related note, I've decided to stick with the 820. Even if it turns out that analog video inputs won't pass through the HDMI out, it's not worth $200 for it.

Miggy, the Thief
post #568 of 2224 Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM

BTW, I suppose we can trust the Sony site that the 820s and 920s are 110W? On-line vendors like Amazon are listing the 820 as 100W.

Miggy, the Thief
post #569 of 2224 Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmiggy View Post

BTW, I suppose we can trust the Sony site that the 820s and 920s are 110W? On-line vendors like Amazon are listing the 820 as 100W.

Miggy, the Thief

they are listed at 110 but not really. Anyways, apparently both 720 and 820 share the same internals amp wise. Not sure about 920.
post #570 of 2224 Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 AM

I understand listed specs relative to real world performance.

But that aside, is it an oversight that the on-line vendors (such as Amazon) are listing the 820 as 100W? If it were just one, I'd say so, but I keep seeing it. Maybe they all got it from the same incorrect source (although I don't know what that would be).

Miggy, the Thief
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page